P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

What delightful people there are around, outside the niceness and sanity of this forum.  Well, most of them, anyway.

I had an appointment yesterday in what used to be a pleasant market town about forthcoming cataract surgery. Bit of a distance from home because they have a shorter waiting list.  My wife had, very reluctantly, to go into the nearby Tesco to use the loo. She wore a mask, for obvious reasons given my lack of immunity.

Two guys in their 50s to my 70 year old wife: “T*at”.

What possesses these anti-maskers that they think they have the perfect right to call my wife that, just for wearing a mask at a time when infections are rising very fast again and we’re in the middle of yet another wave?

Best to ignore them.  My husband and I are still wearing masks when we have to go inside shops etc and we fully intend to carry on doing so.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 12

25 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have been having deliveries from Waitrose ( yes, I know, very middle class) for some time for various reasons including covid of course.  They are particularly helpful, kind and efficient, as it happens, but I stuck with them because they were much more reliable than the other two I tried.

To get to the point, I was in the local shop a few days ago, and was surprised to see how everyone seemed to be keeping well clear of everyone else, not in a nasty way at all, but as if we were all trying to be helpful.  So maybe there is some truth in what Wowzz says.  Although you do sometimes come across the Masters of the Universe there at the weekends, leaving their trolleys in the middle of the aisle.

Funnily enough, my wife's first words afterwards were: "That wouldn't have happened in Waitrose."  And it wouldn't.

Her next words were that she'd go to Aldi next time the situation arises (next week, actually) - wouldn't happen there either!  No Waitrose in that particular town - just Tesco and the two German ones.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

What delightful people there are around, outside the niceness and sanity of this forum.  Well, most of them, anyway.

I had an appointment yesterday in what used to be a pleasant market town about forthcoming cataract surgery. Bit of a distance from home because they have a shorter waiting list.  My wife had, very reluctantly, to go into the nearby Tesco to use the loo. She wore a mask, for obvious reasons given my lack of immunity.

What possesses these anti-maskers that they think they have the perfect right to call my wife that, just for wearing a mask at a time when infections are rising very fast again and we’re in the middle of yet another wave?

Wow that was disgusting talking to your wife like that Harry.

At their age they should have known better.

These cowards would not have said it to you or me.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

My theory is that these anti-maskers find that the way the world has changed to be  very frightening, and try to deny to themselves that things are different now. Therefore, the sight of a mask is a visible reminder that we are no longer in 2019, and direct their feelings at the person wearing a mask.

I hope your wife wasn't too discombobulated by those idiots. .

• Like 9

On 6/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, Adawn47 said:

We've been to Beamish a couple of times, a fascinating place, and still haven't seen it all. On a smaller scale, Eden Camp was an interesting afternoon while on our way to Pickering. 

Avril

I would love to go to Beamish.

We had a coach trip booked that included Beamish in 2020. Of course that never happened.

Our cancelled QV cruise this year included a stop in Newcastle, and we were intending to do the Beamish coach trip from the port. It was only a half day trip, so we wouldn't have been able to see very much, but we would have least been able to have a little look round.

Still hope to get there one day 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My theory is that these anti-maskers find that the way the world has changed to be  very frightening, and try to deny to themselves that things are different now. Therefore, the sight of a mask is a visible reminder that we are no longer in 2019, and direct their feelings at the person wearing a mask.

You may be right.  She wasn't at all bothered initially, and we laughed about it, but later in the day when she thought about it she did start wondering where on earth society is going wrong that two big blokes can feel free to abuse a rather small woman in her 70s.  It's more that worry, I think, and the concern for her grandchildren living in such a society that upset her.

She's fine now - after a career in nursing, health visiting and end of life care she's had worse!

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We rarely wear masks, but assume that the folk wearing them may be doing so to protect us. Pre pandemic, walking around tourist cities many oriental folk wore masks.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think your right ... masklophobia ?  Harry's wife must have scared them witless :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I would love to go to Beamish.

We had a coach trip booked that included Beamish in 2020. Of course that never happened.

Our cancelled QV cruise this year included a stop in Newcastle, and we were intending to do the Beamish coach trip from the port. It was only a half day trip, so we wouldn't have been able to see very much, but we would have least been able to have a little look round.

Still hope to get there one day 

Several Catherine Cookson drama's from her books were filmed at Beamish.

• Like 1

After a day out with friends I have just been checking things in the garden. For about the fourth day this week lots of flower heads have disappeared. We know the culprits are the deer that live in the woods beyond our garden. It’s been wonderful to see them, more this year than last, but very disheartening after weeks of planning, preparing and planting. They have become more brazen, l chased one off the other evening but it stared me out before begrudgingly jumping back over the fence into the woods. I don’t know what to do about it. Perhaps buy artificial plants next year (I don’t think so). Perhaps I should write to Monty Don to see if he has any ideas.

• Like 3

We have heavy rain at the moment and I have to go out to deliver a birthday card and gift for a 13 year old (pic below of the card I have made for her ).  I am hoping for an improvement for this afternoon when I am bowling.  We are away at a club that has poor drainage on the green.  The last time I bowled there there was a huge puddle in one corner and the person I was playing against sent the jack into it so we had to paddle to start the next end, it took several days to dry my shoes.

20220702_075826.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Jennizor said:

After a day out with friends I have just been checking things in the garden. For about the fourth day this week lots of flower heads have disappeared. We know the culprits are the deer that live in the woods beyond our garden. It’s been wonderful to see them, more this year than last, but very disheartening after weeks of planning, preparing and planting. They have become more brazen, l chased one off the other evening but it stared me out before begrudgingly jumping back over the fence into the woods. I don’t know what to do about it. Perhaps buy artificial plants next year (I don’t think so). Perhaps I should write to Monty Don to see if he has any ideas.

I seem to remember that you can buy dried lion "poo" which is meant to deter unwanted animals.

Mind you,  how would a deer in the UK know what lion poo smells like ?😁

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have heavy rain at the moment and I have to go out to deliver a birthday card and gift for a 13 year old (pic below of the card I have made for her ).  I am hoping for an improvement for this afternoon when I am bowling.  We are away at a club that has poor drainage on the green.  The last time I bowled there there was a huge puddle in one corner and the person I was playing against sent the jack into it so we had to paddle to start the next end, it took several days to dry my shoes.

20220702_075826.jpg

Happy 13th birthday to your relative Josy.

Happy-Birthday-Animated-Image-4.gif

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Our next door neighbour has a big trampoline in his garden and the surrounding nets were

getting covered in bird poo ,it was a right mess .

He has put some Big Cheese repeller ribbon (bird and deer ).

He cut it into 2ft lengths and let the wind blow it about and up to yet it has worked.

Not sure if it would work for you but it's cheap enough and worth a try .

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I seem to remember that you can buy dried lion "poo" which is meant to deter unwanted animals.

Instinked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

28 minutes ago, kalos said:

Our next door neighbour has a big trampoline in his garden and the surrounding nets were

getting covered in bird poo ,it was a right mess .

He has put some Big Cheese repeller ribbon (bird and deer ).

He cut it into 2ft lengths and let the wind blow it about and up to yet it has worked.

Not sure if it would work for you but it's cheap enough and worth a try .

Thanks Kalos, anything is worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Many many moons ago The Ole Lady had a American Pit Bull.  Bit dodgy but it was a lovely dog.

One time the circus was in town, and still had tigers.  The Ole Lady was able to walk around the cages while the animals were elsewhere.  The dog went up to an empty cage, had a sniff and tried to run away very quickly! 

The dog was quite used to deer though, The Ole Lady's garden backed onto land where there were deer which used to get into the garden.  The dog used to chase them off.  Didn't like the smell of the tigers though!

• Like 2

A few years back,on a mini safari in Africa we got out of the truck and walked up to 2 rhino.The ranger said if they charge bend down,pick up and throw poo at them.I said what if there isn't any.He said don't worry there will be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

On 7/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, wowzz said:

If you put deer poo down, would it attract lions ?. I understand there is a lions club in Barnsley, so they are around.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning everyone, almost time for my breakfast, talking of which :classic_unsure:....

61212-cb4967df-29b0-455a-bb2e-3ca4da062870.jpg.8f2c4e26ae1550f9880c7ca3d064411c.jpg

Kalos you cease to amaze me where you get all these captions and sayings from but their brill 😂

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you put deer poo down, would it attract lions ?. I understand there is a lions club in Barnsley, so they are around.

Yeah and we have the Stag and the Hind pubs in Rotherham so best not to mess with 

them if they've had a drink :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1