P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

When my son was at school the head asked if I could help out in a trip the the weald and Downland museum. You bet!. After the background and police checks, off we went. At the brick making exhibit I was given a party of 10, 10 year old boys to tell them all about bricks...I know about bricks.....10 kids, 10 different directions, going everywhere...not interested. Never did it again🤣

You shouldn't have said it was Legoland Zap.

• Haha 1

In midst of a Thunderstorm ⛈ at the moment, we have 2 parallel streams of water running either side of road outside house, lots of lightning flashes & cracks of thunder. 

My wife is much better today, she has been up and about even made a dessert this morning for our evening meal, which I am cooking. She says she is feeling hungry, has been off food for last 3 days, headache has gone & cough has eased significantly, still gets short of breath If does anything strenuous. Test still shows positive, but hopefully that will change shortly, my test was again negative. 🤞

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

In midst of a Thunderstorm ⛈ at the moment, we have 2 parallel streams of water running either side of road outside house, lots of lightning flashes & cracks of thunder. 

My wife is much better today, she has been up and about even made a dessert this morning for our evening meal, which I am cooking. She says she is feeling hungry, has been off food for last 3 days, headache has gone & cough has eased significantly, still gets short of breath If does anything strenuous. Test still shows positive, but hopefully that will change shortly, my test was again negative. 🤞

Sending your wife our prayers 🙏 and best wishes that she tests negative ASAP and her symptoms go away.

• Like 1

Well, after watching Jack Draper give his all for well over three hours,  only to be beaten by an extremely talented Aussie,  I am totally exhausted ! I might need to call in the trainer for a thigh massage !

Just a thought - Ladies play football for 90 minutes, same as for men, the marathon is the same length for ladies as for men etc, so why do  women only play best of three sets in Grand Slams? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We've been to Beamish a couple of times, a fascinating place, and still haven't seen it all. On a smaller scale, Eden Camp was an interesting afternoon while on our way to Pickering. 

Avril

Beamish is about 12 miles from us and we have been several times.

Last time we were there was pre covid and when you pay your entrance fee if you give your name and address you get a 12 month free pass for future visits.

I hope you and Frank are well Avril.

Graham 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is currently 13°C and cloudy here in North East England.

Heavy rain,thunder and lightning is forecast by 10am.

Morning hope you have a nice day :classic_smile:

Should your thunderstorms turn up you can track them here ..

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;z=5;y=47.3686;x=1.4282;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Take care everyone :classic_love:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Last time we were there was pre covid and when you pay your entrance fee if you give your name and address you get a 12 month free pass for future visits.

Graham 

Love Beamish. We have stayed in your neck of the woods to visit it several times over the years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, after watching Jack Draper give his all for well over three hours,  only to be beaten by an extremely talented Aussie,  I am totally exhausted ! I might need to call in the trainer for a thigh massage !

Just a thought - Ladies play football for 90 minutes, same as for men, the marathon is the same length for ladies as for men etc, so why do  women only play best of three sets in Grand Slams? 

I read an article on this a while back and originally it was because women were considered to be the “weaker” sex and so 5 sets was thought to be too much for them. It also justified paying them a lot less prize money, that only changed at Wimbledon for example in 2007.

It could be argued that 3 sets makes a more interesting game as players stay fresh and there is (apparently) more chance of an upset of the seeding.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps they need to rush off and tidy up after the men, who can't be bothered?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham 

The last time we were there you pay the entrance free and were given one old penny each to ride the tram. 

We're not too bad Graham, thanks for asking, but after having covid we don't seem to have picked up properly since. Can't seem to find that old spark, if you know what I mean. Mustn't complain though, we're much better than some.

Avril

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning hope you have a nice day :classic_smile:

Should your thunderstorms turn up you can track them here ..

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;z=5;y=47.3686;x=1.4282;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Take care everyone :classic_love:

Thank you Kalos.

So far we have only had a very light shower.

It has just started to rain heavily at 11am.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

Although I love watching Wimbledon, I do agree that three sets for both sexes is the ideal length of match - and with the longer tiebreak at the end of the third if necessary, as they have now.

I wonder if the powers that be have had the problem of trans athletes yet.  

46 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Although I love watching Wimbledon, I do agree that three sets for both sexes is the ideal length of match

Totally disagree. The five set format allows for far more ebbs and flows than three set matches.

That Federer Nadal epic final surely makes a irrefutable case for fiver setters.

Just seems patronising for women to play a shortermatch in tennis, whereas in other sports the rules are the same for both sexes.

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Another open air concert, Bryan Adams tonight so a second  soaking could be on the cards, and if last nights deluge is anything to go by a waterproof jacket will be of little use😂

Wasn’t it very wet in the summer of 69? Great to know that everything he sings, he sings it for you. 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Though I enjoy the sport, I could never date a tennis player.

Love means nothing to them.:classic_unsure:

I once went to a fancy dress as a tennis ball and had no problems getting a 

drink at the bar, they served me straight away  :classic_wink:

• Haha 11

What delightful people there are around, outside the niceness and sanity of this forum.  Well, most of them, anyway.

I had an appointment yesterday in what used to be a pleasant market town about forthcoming cataract surgery. Bit of a distance from home because they have a shorter waiting list.  My wife had, very reluctantly, to go into the nearby Tesco to use the loo. She wore a mask, for obvious reasons given my lack of immunity.

Two guys in their 50s to my 70 year old wife: “T*at”.

What possesses these anti-maskers that they think they have the perfect right to call my wife that, just for wearing a mask at a time when infections are rising very fast again and we’re in the middle of yet another wave?

• Like 14

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

What delightful people there are around, outside the niceness and sanity of this forum.  Well, most of them, anyway.

I had an appointment yesterday in what used to be a pleasant market town about forthcoming cataract surgery. Bit of a distance from home because they have a shorter waiting list.  My wife had, very reluctantly, to go into the nearby Tesco to use the loo. She wore a mask, for obvious reasons given my lack of immunity.

Two guys in their 50s to my 70 year old wife: “T*at”.

What possesses these anti-maskers that they think they have the perfect right to call my wife that, just for wearing a mask at a time when infections are rising very fast again and we’re in the middle of yet another wave?

That’s awful Harry - you poor wife.

For whatever reason  it seems to scare some people if others are wearing a mask and completely beyond me why anyone has to pass such a rude ignore and comment. It surely makes no difference to them, or perhaps they are just frightened little cowards…….

• Like 11

Unfortunately there are a lot of rude and ignorant people around. Shame your wife had to meet up with some of them.

With rising infections I’m sure more will revert back to wearing masks. I’m still getting home deliveries to avoid supermarkets and some of the cretins that frequent them.

• Like 6

I have been having deliveries from Waitrose ( yes, I know, very middle class) for some time for various reasons including covid of course.  They are particularly helpful, kind and efficient, as it happens, but I stuck with them because they were much more reliable than the other two I tried.

To get to the point, I was in the local shop a few days ago, and was surprised to see how everyone seemed to be keeping well clear of everyone else, not in a nasty way at all, but as if we were all trying to be helpful.  So maybe there is some truth in what Wowzz says.  Although you do sometimes come across the Masters of the Universe there at the weekends, leaving their trolleys in the middle of the aisle.

• Like 1

If you’re wearing a mask and some numbskull thinks it warrants a smart-ass  comment, a good plan is to produce the best RADA-style coughing fit you can manage - that should “move them along”.  Or if you’re with somebody make a loud comment about the chicken-poxy spots you’ve developed … folk may be more wary of monkey-pox than Covid, seeing as that’s now over and only about 1in 30 people has it.

We had a lovely morning but the sun has now decided he doesn’t want to play any more, so the wind is back.  It’s not just me, is it - summer so far has been very windy?

Edited by Eddie99
correction
  • Like 2