P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I heard him as well Graham. Great advice for short trips or if you don’t need lots of changes of clothes etc.

I agree it sounds good for Simon Calder but in reality most of us never travel light.

Morning all, very warm in the south east today! My day off and I went to work for a half hour meeting! That was fine but it takes me 35 mins each way to walk it! I’m sitting down cooling off now but then I’ll probably go in the garden and get hot again! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Morning Michelle.

Simon Calder the travel expert recommends just taking hand luggage if you can which would certainly avoid those big Check in queue's.

It is 15°C and overcast here today.

Lazy day watching A Place in the Sun on TV.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

It is amazing how much you can fit into hand luggage but I am not sure that I could manage with hand luggage for a holiday.

When I was travelling for work I always tried to just take hand luggage by wearing a suit to travel and packing another one and then just undies, blouses to go under my jackets and toiletries.  I learned early in my career that even on a long trip when I  needed more than hand luggage it was advisable to pack a clean top and undies in my briefcase incase my luggage went missing, which it frequently did if I was forced to fly on BA.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

which it frequently did if I was forced to fly on BA.

Perhaps it was because I never had to make flight connections,  but in my "flying years" BA never lost my luggage. 

Perhaps I was lucky, or you were  unlucky !

• Like 1

Certainly in this house.  He has not been well known in the UK until now, but seems like a hard working quiet nice guy - glad he doesn't have to play the obnoxious one.  I don't know Kyrgios  has a following- certainly not among real tennis lovers, I am sure.  

We are booked to fly out of Gatwick with Easy Jet to Sicily in September and decided to pay a bit extra on the seat price, which allows us to take a carry on case as well as hand luggage. We are just hoping that all the disruption, cancelled flights, etc are sorted by then.🤞

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We are booked to fly out of Gatwick with Easy Jet to Sicily in September and decided to pay a bit extra on the seat price, which allows us to take a carry on case as well as hand luggage. We are just hoping that all the disruption, cancelled flights, etc are sorted by then.🤞

We're off to Lanza with Jet2 from BHX in November.  Surely things will have improved by then ? 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We're off to Lanza with Jet2 from BHX in November.  Surely things will have improved by then ? 

Jet 2 handle all their own ground staff  rather than use an outside firm, so you do have a better chance of an incident free operation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Flights are no fun at all at the moment. Both of our flights out and back were changed by over 12 hours and then we had a long delay on return. Add to that massive queues for security.

At least when we got back to Edinburgh passport control was extremely quick and the bags were there almost immediately - small mercies.

As if airport issues were not bad enough now the roads are blocked by deliberate go slows. Leave in plenty time to get to your ship, after a 3 year wait you don’t want to miss it.

After reading all the discussion on check in v hand luggage I really don’t know what to do. 

I have special assistance at the airport anyway so I often don’t have to queue for quite as long. It’s the only time been disabled is a bonus!!

I will have to have a long think about it, 10kg each for a week doesn’t seem much

Michelle

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It is amazing how much you can fit into hand luggage but I am not sure that I could manage with hand luggage for a holiday.

When I was travelling for work I always tried to just take hand luggage by wearing a suit to travel and packing another one and then just undies, blouses to go under my jackets and toiletries.  I learned early in my career that even on a long trip when I  needed more than hand luggage it was advisable to pack a clean top and undies in my briefcase incase my luggage went missing, which it frequently did if I was forced to fly on BA.

I've got visions of you getting a lucrative contract out for a high flying CEO to sign and a thong falls out of it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

After reading all the discussion on check in v hand luggage I really don’t know what to do. 

I have special assistance at the airport anyway so I often don’t have to queue for quite as long. It’s the only time been disabled is a bonus!!

I will have to have a long think about it, 10kg each for a week doesn’t seem much

Michelle

The reason we decided to forgo hold luggage was the price. Easy jet wanted over £60 (that is return)  to put a 15kg case in the hold. 

I book assistance for my OH as he has difficulty walking the distance to the gates, we always seem to go from the one the furthest away.

We do have the advantage, that although we have rented a villa, we have family over there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Has anyone ever woken up the day before a cruise and thought "I really wish I hadn't booked this cruise, I don't want to bother packing, getting LFT done, spending over 3 hours in the car " ?

Yes, pretty much every cruise I have been on but in my case this kicks in about a week before. The gloom clears up once i start the journey.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Has anyone ever woken up the day before a cruise and thought "I really wish I hadn't booked this cruise, I don't want to bother packing, getting LFT done, spending over 3 hours in the car " ?

I had the same feeling before our first post covid  ruise only last month, but it quickly dissipated once we were on board, now I am looking forward to our next cruise in October.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, purplesea said:

The reason we decided to forgo hold luggage was the price. Easy jet wanted over £60 (that is return)  to put a 15kg case in the hold. 

I book assistance for my OH as he has difficulty walking the distance to the gates, we always seem to go from the one the furthest away.

We do have the advantage, that although we have rented a villa, we have family over there.

Our neighbour in Italy has just sent us a cartoon of someone with their head in a freezer.Over 40 on a regular basis at the mo.When we go back in August and you in September hopefully it wont be quite as sticky.The summers seem hotter every year,unless it's me getting older.

40 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Yes ,frequently but it all usually turns out to be worth it, although our last holiday was the most stressful we have ever done , four interconnecting flights, two day rail journey , two overnight stops in different locations ,one city break ,an observed lft test and a seven day cruise, oh and been selected for a random covid test at our arrival airport,   was it worth it,           without a doubt😃 

49 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I think it’s quite a common feeling.  I haven’t cruised post-covid but I recall feeling the same, usually 3 or 4 days pre-holiday.  I’ve posted about it (can’t remember whether as OP or follower) and recall quite a few other people saying it happens to them too.

Some tangled human psychology thing I suppose - all sorts of thoughts tangled up with each other

16 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

One of our larger  party has a mobility issue and got through security much more quickly as they were allowed to use the lifts up to security while the queues went out of the airport doors on the ground floor and along past the bus stops (for anyone who knows Edinburgh airport that is a long queue). And you will all be unsurprised to note that it was pouring with rain (Scottish summer) so we got a cold soaking before getting up to security.

So it’s likely will get through quicker as other airports probably have similar policies. We always buy a fast pass at Manchester. Well worth the few pounds it costs.

I have to say it’s worth all the hassle once on holiday.

Forgot to say Good Morning

Lovely weather here - just the right temperature, fiercenesses of sun, strength of wind etc

Our group walk scheduled for today is off, as the leader has Covid.  Whoever decided it was over obviously hasn’t told the virus

AC4C8072-6052-4494-8256-2856F6276C0E.jpeg.7cd74dc0ea64b7b10ab5ce95a9fe3d94.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Try 8-9 hours in a car. I always dread that.

So yes I sometimes feel like that too but once through the embarkation process it is always fun, so worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry Josy, not here. Look forward to every holiday, but wish they would do away with the testing requirement.

• Like 1

I think for me it would really only be the testing requirements, and a slight worry of having to be quarantined on the ship.

For those who are interested - the tennis was pretty exciting yesterday, with Novak and Cameron both looking like possible losers.  I did feel a bit sorry for Cam's opponent, in that the crowd cheered not only when their man played a blinder, but also when the other chap  lost a point.  Not very sportsmanlike.  However, it did seem that C was encouraged a  lot by them, and it probably helped him.

• Like 1