P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I do all the driving usually non stop.

I have been a sales representative for 40 year's and used to driving 200+ miles every day.

I used to drive around 1500 miles a month on every road imaginable , never had an accident ,but the amount of drivers and the ridiculous speeds they tear up and down on roads these days has taken most of the joy away, if I wanted to drive a dodgem I would have gone to the funfair  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I used to drive around 1500 miles a month on every road imaginable , never had an accident ,but the amount of drivers and the ridiculous speeds they tear up and down on roads these days has taken most of the joy away, if I wanted to drive a dodgem I would have gone to the funfair  

You should experience the Milan ring road,it rivals Silverstone.

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice car Wowzz.

Thank you.  The colour, solar silver,  looks great  in the sunshine,  but, unfortunately we have not had much of that recently. 

After driving for over 50 years, this is only the second car that I have personally owned from new.

My DW tells me that this  is  the last car I will ever buy, so I need to look after it !

54 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

My daily commute, plus other trips, meant I drove 60,000 mikes a year. Traffic was bad back in the 90s, even worse now.

On the odd occasion I have to use the M25 I am thanful I don't drive as much these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purplesea said:

Aren't all drivers in Italy like that?🤣

True and the more South you go the worse they get,lol.I've developed the worst combo,London van driving and Italian habits.

Morning all. My Dad’s 85th birthday today so as I’m on the late shift today I treated him and my mum to breakfast in a cafe local to them now ‘Tiktoks’ It’s a lovely very busy independent place. They both enjoyed it very much and my mum, who is quite fussy, was pleased it was lovely and hot.

They’ve now gone to buy a new washing machine and I’m back at home ready for my afternoon shift after two days working in the office.

• Like 5

Re stressing pre holidays, I’m glad I’m not the only one! The stress before our first post C cruise made me wonder if it was worth it for 3 nights! I also hate packing and actually prefer packing for off season breaks when there isn’t such a variety of weather! For a 4 night cruise in November I wore everything I’d packed! So easy!

Although I can’t wait for our 13 night cruise in October 23 I know I’ll be mega stressed beforehand.Shame I have to work in the run up to it. Hopefully it will be wonderful once onboard!

• Like 2

Making preparations for a, soon to be had, land based holiday in Austria. Had a bad start to the week when I realised cups of coffee and laptops don't mix very well. So been out and purchased new laptop but not going to set it up until I return from holiday. Dreading that as not very tech savvy so expect problems.

2 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Would be interested to know where your ideas come from. According to the authoritative World Bank database, the UK has a much better doctor/patient ratio than most European countries... better in fact than Portugal, Austria, Norway, Finland, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Ireland and Luxembourg... to name but a few. On the global scale, the UK also has a better doctor/patient ratio than the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Canada and many other countries.

Looks like I'm out of date then - much of europe used to be better...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Re stressing pre holidays, I’m glad I’m not the only one! The stress before our first post C cruise made me wonder if it was worth it for 3 nights! I also hate packing and actually prefer packing for off season breaks when there isn’t such a variety of weather! For a 4 night cruise in November I wore everything I’d packed! So easy!

Although I can’t wait for our 13 night cruise in October 23 I know I’ll be mega stressed beforehand.Shame I have to work in the run up to it. Hopefully it will be wonderful once onboard!

It will be worth it! 
I think it’s worse if you work from home or retired - more opportunity to faff around. I remember leaving here after school on a Friday afternoon for an October half term cruise - we did those for about 5 years. It took us 5 hrs to get to Southampton and the children were of course with us then. I don’t remember feeling stressed at all - the packing was done on the Wednesday and Thursday nights and off we went, great fun. 
it was the supervised testing on Zoom and setting up the profile, and also the Medallion App thingy which caused the stress this time around - trying to achieve Ocean Ready status! Also first cruise since Feb 2020. 
I won’t stress next time! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I don’t think you are. GP’s are hard to access round here. In my job I get so many people phoning us because their GP’s won’t help them or it’s an hour wait to get through. I’m in Kent.

Having said that I’ve just had breast screening and the (negative) result came through in one week! My first thought was that it must have been bad news!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I think the criteria you are quoting is the amount spent per person on healthcare, which is higher in most places, although I believe some of that expenditure is private spending, either direct or via insurance.

• Thanks 1

Just back from two days in Henley.
Went to the festival and outdoor concert on the Thames last night (saw The Script). It was a black tie event and there were several thousand people there all dressed up to the nines. Age wise it was probably 50/50 for the over 40s and under 40s. The youngsters clearly enjoyed getting dressed up and 99% looked so smart…… So from that event last night I would say P&O would be wise not to do away with black tie nights.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Went to the festival and outdoor concert on the Thames last night (saw The Script). It was a black tie event and there were several thousand people there all dressed up to the nines. Age wise it was probably 50/50 for the over 40s and under 40s. The youngsters clearly enjoyed getting dressed up and 99% looked so smart…… So from that event last night I would say P&O would be wise not to do away with black tie nights.

We returned home from a Ventura cruise 2 days ago, and was very interested to see that the post-cruise questionnaire had questions about our attitudes to formal attire.  I suggest they are sounding people out. 

On our cruise there were 3 formal nights, and although we did take the necessary attire along, neither of us enjoys it and so after the first formal night, we ate in other non-buffet venues.  My observation on those nights, both from the MDR on the first night and in the theatre on the other two, is that whilst there were a good number of people who had dressed up, there were also a good number who hadn't, or had made only the slightest effort.

Time will tell and it is only my view that eventually P&O will go down a similar road to Celebrity in identifying nights called 'chic' and leaving it up to the individual to determine the meaning of chic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

We returned home from a Ventura cruise 2 days ago, and was very interested to see that the post-cruise questionnaire had questions about our attitudes to formal attire.  I suggest they are sounding people out. 

On our cruise there were 3 formal nights, and although we did take the necessary attire along, neither of us enjoys it and so after the first formal night, we ate in other non-buffet venues.  My observation on those nights, both from the MDR on the first night and in the theatre on the other two, is that whilst there were a good number of people who had dressed up, there were also a good number who hadn't, or had made only the slightest effort.

Time will tell and it is only my view that eventually P&O will go down a similar road to Celebrity in identifying nights called 'chic' and leaving it up to the individual to determine the meaning of chic.

Certainly not saying you are wrong about the direction P&O are going in re dress codes but they have been asking about this in surveys for a number of years now. I'm sure many of their customers today would welcome more relaxed dress codes but personally, it would be another thing to make me look elsewhere.

• Like 5

Dentist visit today, which I was dreading, pre work for crown to be fitted on tooth I broke. I was fully expecting the dread rubbery stuff to go into my mouth for an impression, which happened with a previous crown some years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find I would be having a 3D scan of my mouth and the area around the tooth, I was able to watch the whole process as a 3D model of the left side of my mouth was taken. Temporary crown then fitted, new crown will be available by end of month. Was in at 2pm, worked completed by 2.25, home by 2.40. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've just come back from a few days in a woodland cabin, near Alfriston. It was lovely cabin, and very relaxing. We did lots of walking and in the evening cooked our food over the fire pit . 

IMG_0639.thumb.jpg.c64d8a2829bcbb05cf7e15ff94149da7.jpg

IMG_0655.thumb.jpg.75989f8fc008f7ca967dabd571ec6f5e.jpg

IMG_0644.thumb.jpg.7d34c203ad7b31f8a3919d01e50f18d5.jpg

IMG_0646.thumb.jpg.79602ebaf4ba1291ced7943c3080e80c.jpg

IMG_0676.thumb.jpg.5d1f5e6486d3562e6c998714d1f8dc9e.jpg

Pretty little place, Alfriston. Did you visit The Clergy House? Looks like you walked close to the Long Man of Wilmington too...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

With the price of petrol it is refreshing to see the vast majority of drivers on the Motorways driving under the speed limit to get much better MPG.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've just come back from a few days in a woodland cabin, near Alfriston. It was lovely cabin, and very relaxing. We did lots of walking and in the evening cooked our food over the fire pit . 

IMG_0639.thumb.jpg.c64d8a2829bcbb05cf7e15ff94149da7.jpg

IMG_0655.thumb.jpg.75989f8fc008f7ca967dabd571ec6f5e.jpg

IMG_0644.thumb.jpg.7d34c203ad7b31f8a3919d01e50f18d5.jpg

IMG_0646.thumb.jpg.79602ebaf4ba1291ced7943c3080e80c.jpg

IMG_0676.thumb.jpg.5d1f5e6486d3562e6c998714d1f8dc9e.jpg

Looks relaxing.

Great photos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Pretty little place, Alfriston. Did you visit The Clergy House? Looks like you walked close to the Long Man of Wilmington too...

The Clergy House is only open two days a week, this week it was Thursday and Friday, so we missed it, unfortunately.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Dentist visit today, which I was dreading, pre work for crown to be fitted on tooth I broke. I was fully expecting the dread rubbery stuff to go into my mouth for an impression, which happened with a previous crown some years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find I would be having a 3D scan of my mouth and the area around the tooth, I was able to watch the whole process as a 3D model of the left side of my mouth was taken. Temporary crown then fitted, new crown will be available by end of month. Was in at 2pm, worked completed by 2.25, home by 2.40. 

Lucky you, I had one recently and still got the nasty, sticky, chocking goo.

Must mention this to my dentist.

46 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lucky you, I had one recently and still got the nasty, sticky, chocking goo.

Must mention this to my dentist.

My dentist said it gives a more accurate impression and is less intrusive for the patient. I have used 3D scanning on artefacts, but first time it has been used on me. 

• Like 1