P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That seems to be a peculiarly British thing.  Never encountered it on mainland Europe, where people overtake, then pull back into the original lane - particularly in Germany.  We seem to be a nation of bad, inconsiderate drivers.

Looking at the death rates we seem to be not that bad Harry if you keep your wits about you .

Having said that you would not think so with how some loony's drive .

https://www.statista.com/chart/18949/road-accident-fatalities-per-million-inhabitants-i/  

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That seems to be a peculiarly British thing.  Never encountered it on mainland Europe, where people overtake, then pull back into the original lane - particularly in Germany.  We seem to be a nation of bad, inconsiderate drivers.

It is a driving offence to stop in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty.

The scary driving is in the US where people overtake and undertake at will plus you are driving on the right side of the road instead of the left side in the UK.

Orlando after a 9 hour flight and 5 hour time difference is testing driving down I 4 to our Lake Buena vista hotel 

53 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The Italian drivers are terrible, veryfrightening.  Agree about Germany and northernEurope.

LOL,I can vouch for that,they do 70mph in a car park,even between rows of bays.Our IperCoop similar to Tesco Extra had a lamp post roped off and leaning at 45 deg.They repaired it and today guess what,some idiot has knocked another one over.You couldn't make it up,these lamp posts are 10mts high and made of steel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

LOL,I can vouch for that,they do 70mph in a car park,even between rows of bays.Our IperCoop similar to Tesco Extra had a lamp post roped off and leaning at 45 deg.They repaired it and today guess what,some idiot has knocked another one over.You couldn't make it up,these lamp posts are 10mts high and made of steel.

Trying to cross the road in Naples from the cruise terminal is a scary feat and motor scooters riding on the paths are a big obstacle too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, have you ever tried to navigate your way round the Arch de Triomphe in Paris?  Or don't the Parisians qualify as Northern Europeans.

Hyde Park corner and Marble Arch would rival it.Like driving dodgems in my van,lol.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Trying to cross the road in Naples from the cruise terminal is a scary feat and motor scooters riding on the paths are a big obstacle too.

Love it,part of the driving test here is to have a toddler on your lap with no seat belt whilst texting and lighting up a fag,all at the same time of course.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is a driving offence to stop in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty.

The scary driving is in the US where people overtake and undertake at will plus you are driving on the right side of the road instead of the left side in the UK.

Orlando after a 9 hour flight and 5 hour time difference is testing driving down I 4 to our Lake Buena vista hotel 

I agree that it does take time to acclimatise, or it did when we last drove in the US. However we did find that speed limits were observed far better than in the UK, and even though they can and do overtake on both sides, they do seem to be more courteous about it.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I agree that it does take time to acclimatise, or it did when we last drove in the US. However we did find that speed limits were observed far better than in the UK, and even though they can and do overtake on both sides, they do seem to be more courteous about it.

I agree, having driven in many American states I have never really had a problem.

It is now a few years since our last driving tour, not sure that I would be so happy to do it now due to my advancing years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There are a lot more police vehicles, deputy sheriff,Sheriff, highway patrol,state troopers etc etc in the US especially in Florida where we have been over 30 times since 1992.

Graham.

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There are a lot more police vehicles, deputy sheriff,Sheriff, highway patrol,state troopers etc etc in the US especially in Florida where we have been over 30 times since 1992.

Graham.

Don't forget the helicopters they have speed detection as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, have you ever tried to navigate your way round the Arch de Triomphe in Paris?  Or don't the Parisians qualify as Northern Europeans.

Yup, I've done it - amazingly the every man for himself approach does sort of work.

However, driving around the Rue Peripherique, at night, in teeming rain, in a right hand drive  car, is probably the  most frightening experience of my life - worse than making a sales pitch to Tesco!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

If the movies are to be believed speeding fines are what pays the highway patrol wages!😉

It is our 45th wedding anniversary today - how did that happen? We are still down in Cornwall, we’ve been here 3 weeks now and have decided to stay until next weekend. Lovely sunny day again today with a fresh breeze so we are going for a walk along the cliff path before a celebratory dinner and a bottle of Cornish bubbly. 

• Like 9

Just now, SeaJane said:

It is our 45th wedding anniversary today - how did that happen? We are still down in Cornwall, we’ve been here 3 weeks now and have decided to stay until next weekend. Lovely sunny day again today with a fresh breeze so we are going for a walk along the cliff path before a celebratory dinner and a bottle of Cornish bubbly. 

Congratulations, SeaJane - that's a looooong time.🙂

Enjoy dinner tonight and the rest of your holiday.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Congratulations!  And a wonderful place to celebrate your anniversary. Whereabouts are you - north or south coast?

We hired a flat at sidmouth on our honeymoon 34 years ago, I have been taking my parents down there for the last twenty years, they have stopped in cottages houses flats and now hotels, I like it there walking along the promenade makes me feel young.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Congratulations!  And a wonderful place to celebrate your anniversary. Whereabouts are you - north or south coast?

Thank you. We are on the north coast and love the rugged scenery. I’ve been coming to this area all my life as it was a favourite of my parents. We are now lucky enough to own a property here and in a normal year visit 3 or 4 times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

It is our 45th wedding anniversary today - how did that happen? 

Hard to say ,he drugged you ,your parents sold you :classic_unsure:

Or maybe it's that you love each other so much you have just spent 45 years together :classic_biggrin:

Congratulations ,have a great day :classic_smile:

anniversary-animated-image-2.gif.0aaddcb6287cb50d1834ef66f2110283.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

Happy 45th Wedding Anniversary to you both.

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time in Cornwall.🍾

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

Happy Wedding Anniversary!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

My view from my rented beach hut for the next 6 months, stayed until sunset and to see the ships lights come on, there were six ships but one disappeared , so you have jewel of the seas, Allure of the seas, Anthem of the seas,Explorer of the seas, and Aurora, celebrity Apex sailed away , my pictures of the night lights didn’t really come out well 

I will be down first thing in the morning for a Sunday fry up 😎

91DE9A9C-6F4B-457D-9DF3-D422E27E8B4B.jpeg

09ADBEFB-B952-400F-9CFF-9A657073200D.jpeg

ED83AED4-0BB5-47D7-AF29-93DD477E4847.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous. No stopping you with the photos now!

Your meal looked lovely too, I love dauphinois potatoes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Congratulations to you both. How lovely you can stay so long. Enjoy the rest of your break 🥂🥂

• Like 1