P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

35 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

This idea of ‘cancelling Christmas’ is ridiculous. No one person can cancel it. They can put restrictions on all the song and dance which accompanies it, but Christmas as a religious festival remains. 

Agreed and even if it was possible to cancel Christmas then it would be far better to cancel 

2020 with the year we have all had but as you say ridiculous.

xFB_IMG_1606382788696.jpg.1aa70916998ee121991aff11e41c3b3e.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

This idea of ‘cancelling Christmas’ is ridiculous. No one person can cancel it. They can put restrictions on all the song and dance which accompanies it, but Christmas as a religious festival remains. 

We are regular churchgoers and our church is on my Avatar.

Xmas is a wonderful time and no one is suggesting cancelling Xmas but with the current pandemic we all have to be sensible otherwise we will all pay for it in January with a massive spike of covid19 cases as well as many asymptomatic cases where the virus is spread to innocent people like me who took care and still got covid19.

As Piers, Susanna and Doctor Hilary said on GMB with 3 other households coming to people's homes you could easily have 20 or more people in close proximity for a long time.

Germany has the best idea with no more than 4 other family members at Xmas.

We will be on our own on Xmas day even though we have plenty of family who would like to come to ours.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Well if I cancel my villa I will loose all my money, but easyJet did offer and different time to fly but they are not cancelling flights but we all do have to have a COVID free test to fly and land and our villa so that’s later this week then we self isolated before and obviously when we return home for 14 days .

Have you got spare room in your suitcase???

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Xmas is a wonderful time and no one is suggesting cancelling Xmas but with the current pandemic we all have to be sensible otherwise we will all pay for it in January with a massive spike of covid19 cases as well as many asymptomatic cases where the virus is spread to innocent people like me who took care and still got covid19.

Our church has introduced an attendance register for the Christmas masses. In that way the priest can plan how the church can accommodate everyone safely. There will be a limit on numbers so social distancing is be maintained.

But our Christmas day family gathering will be 50% greater than in previous years!

Our son will be with us for a change, instead of working in a ski resort.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As Piers, Susanna and Doctor Hilary said on GMB with 3 other households coming to people's homes you could easily have 20 or more people in close proximity for a long time.

Germany has the best idea with no more than 4 other family members at Xmas.

We will be on our own on Xmas day even though we have plenty of family who would like to come to ours.

Graham.

We are already more restricted than that Graham. Our max is 8 people from 3 households even though it was supposed to be a “ 4 nations” approach.

The glorious leader hinted yesterday at Holyrood that even that might be tightened up yet again. Waiting to see what is announced.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Our church has introduced an attendance register for the Christmas masses. In that way the priest can plan how the church can accommodate everyone safely. There will be a limit on numbers so social distancing is be maintained.

But our Christmas day family gathering will be 50% greater than in previous years!

People have to book a slot for our church and they also stream it live in line for those who can’t attend.

Actually this year we have had a number of innovative things online, on face book etc to make up for the fact that only small groups can attend church. It has been lovely but not the same. Roll on next year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Social distancing measures are in place at our church.

Every other Pugh is blocked off and non family members have to keep well apart when seated.

One way arrows are on the floor and anti virus sprays are at the entrance and inside.

Everyone has to wear masks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We are already more restricted than that Graham. Our max is 8 people from 3 households even though it was supposed to be a “ 4 nations” approach.

The glorious leader hinted yesterday at Holyrood that even that might be tightened up yet again. Waiting to see what is announced.

TBH she is showing more leadership than Boris and imo 8 is still too many.

The vaccine is here with more to come for most of the population and maybe by Easter people can celebrate properly.

The virus doesn't know it is Xmas and will spread out of control in January with a 5 day jolly for everyone and is the potential of many covid19 deaths of old family members worth it.

Only tier 1 let inside mixing of 6 in homes yet in England it could easily be 20 in tier 3 area's.

• Like 2

End of the day we are all responsible for our own actions and even if Boris or as a matter of fact any government say it would be allowed it doesnt say we have to do it. Just worry how many people in the UK will stay within the rules over Christmas but have more than they should responsibly have around. Only they will face the consequences and nobody will be to blame only themselves if people they have around spread Covid and are ill or heaven forbid worse in January. Sorry but I wouldnt want that on my conscience.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Best idea,Boris is under pressure to cancel xmas now.

Ba humbug!!  No-one can cancel Christmas, it will just be different this year that's all😉 Eat, Drink And Be Merry for tomorrow we will be free of this awful virus and back to cruising🤞😁

Sis

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

End of the day we are all responsible for our own actions and even if Boris or as a matter of fact any government say it would be allowed it doesnt say we have to do it. Just worry how many people in the UK will stay within the rules over Christmas but have more than they should responsibly have around. Only they will face the consequences and nobody will be to blame only themselves if people they have around spread Covid and are ill or heaven forbid worse in January. Sorry but I wouldnt want that on my conscience.

Very true.

26 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes, much to be said for people acting in a responsible manner. Unfortunately many of them don’t.

Even more unfortunately it is not only the irresponsible who will face the consequences. If they fill up the hospitals or go out and spread in places people can’t avoid like work, food shopping etc then we will all suffer.

With a bit of common sense we can all stay well

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Christmas wasn’t fixed on 25 December until the 4th C, the date was chosen by the church at that time, no real evidence as to why 25 December chosen above any other probably the church wanted to bring to an end the Roman Pagan Festival of Saturnalia which ran from 17 -23 December.

Parliament did ban the celebrations around Christmas in 1645, say Christmas Day should be a day of fasting & contemplation, Cromwell often blamed for cancelling it but he did support the passing of the Act. Didn’t end well for him with his body exhumed in 1660 and head placed on a spike in London, an unlikely scenario for anyone cancelling Christmas now. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Am I the only person who immediately started singing "Pugh, Pugh, Barney  Mcgrew"?

Never heard that song, but I immediately thought of the numerous Pugh households around here and visualised the chapels blocking them from taking their pews. 

Edited by Ardennais

8 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Never heard that song, but I immediately thought of the numerous Pugh households around here and visualised the chapels blocking them from taking their pews. 

They were the Trumpton fire brigade and had their own little song. Perhaps you are too young or too old to remember them.

We don’t have pews now, the hard wooden benches of my youth are now comfortable padded chairs (makes lengthy sermons much more comfortable).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Christmas wasn’t fixed on 25 December until the 4th C, the date was chosen by the church at that time, no real evidence as to why 25 December chosen above any other probably the church wanted to bring to an end the Roman Pagan Festival of Saturnalia which ran from 17 -23 December.

Parliament did ban the celebrations around Christmas in 1645, say Christmas Day should be a day of fasting & contemplation, Cromwell often blamed for cancelling it but he did support the passing of the Act. Didn’t end well for him with his body exhumed in 1660 and head placed on a spike in London, an unlikely scenario for anyone cancelling Christmas now. 

Yep them Romans  had enough of us with Pagan things ,winter celebrations burning 

winter yule logs and the like. Saturn being high in the sky was a hit with the Romans 

back then and what with the early Christians waiting until the 6th of January before 

they began to party , it must have been all   play and no work .

So they scrapped the others and met in the middle -ish with the 25th of December .

It must have been weird back then .No Christmas tree's /Cards or TV but boy they

knew how to party ..12 days of it ,feasting and a drinking, unless you were mega poor.

Then it could  be rabbit ,that's if you could catch one .

Now we come to our day and some moan that auntie Elsie will not be coming this 

Christmas ,who you most likely only see on that day anyway .She scares the kids 

and smells of cat. Never mind you will be stuck in your house with just about every

nice food your heart desires and  gallons of your favourite drink ,sat in a warm house 

watching "White Christmas"(again) on the telly .

This Christmas is going to be so different they say . It is.. but enjoy it for what it is ,

You will not have to stay sober to run auntie Elsie back home, with the car windows open ,

nor will you have to go out hunting for a rabbit either , that's unless you really wanted one.

Just remember what the day is all about .If it wasn't for Jesus being born (Not on that day)

we would not have a Christmas to moan about anyway .

You would have been out in the back yard dancing under the light of Saturn before nipping

off down the woods for a nice bit of yule log before taking aunt Elsie out Rabbit hunting .:classic_smile:

Whatever your plans, just be safe and Merry Christmas  guys :classic_biggrin:

https://www.history.com/news/why-is-christmas-celebrated-on-december-25#:~:text=The first official mention of,Roman calendar from 336 A.D.&text=The celebration of Christmas spread,and Easter as more important.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb😄

Avril

I remember that too!! Where have all the years gone? I now sing “baby shark” with my grand daughter who is three. She is singing Jingle Bells at the moment too

Michelle 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Russia celebrates Christmas on 7 January.  Olde worlde calendar and all that.  Same reason why the commies celebrated the October revolution in November.  Those crazy Russians......

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully they will not catch covid19.

I was in bed 3 weeks with Covid19 but kept the bedroom window open all the time and fortunately Pauline didn't catch covid19 from me.

Graham.

Had a message from daughter in law today, feeling much better, but has now lost sense of smell & taste, says it’s the weirdest feeling, eating and drinking but not tasting anything, her husband has offered a vindaloo to see if she can taste that, 😁 Its possible they have it but are not showing symptoms. Neither are going anywhere, the school is getting some of the blame due to poor organisation, a number of parents are complaining to education authority. School is now closed until January.

My wife was meant to be on jury duty this week & next, rather than go in to court she had to wait at home, they would message her by 4.30 the day before to say whether she was required, this afternoon got a message to say she was discharged from duty. Relief all round as she wasn’t looking forward to sitting in a court in this current climate. 

• Like 6