P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

No thanks,I'll just buy a different car.We have lights everywhere.I even have a lit mirror on my sun visor so I can have a shave on the motorway.One exception,we paid 250 quid for a package just to get a socket in the boot for our coolbox.This was  standard on our previous "inferior" model.It does include electric mirrors in that package though.

I'm not too worried about the light in the glovebox, but I do miss the fact that it is not air conditioned. Nothing worse than a warm, soggy Twix!  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Presto2 said:

My prayers are answered ----- you have my blessing to keep the heron 😉

No problem , I knew you would be worried about him. He looked very weak

when we discovered him and would not eat anything we tried to feed him .

Then as you say your prayers were answered ! We had some old duck pate 

left over and he really seemed to have a taste for it, he wolfed the lot down.

It was at that time he took flight as though he knew where he was going .

home in search of more duck flavoured treats no doubt .All's well that ends  

well and I thought I'd share the good news with you .:classic_smile:

Take care and stay safe .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thanks for your kindness kalos. Did you attach a pink ribbon to him so we would know to thank you for the gift when he returns (or for Presto to throttle him with)?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

They love pilchards,you have to open the tin first though.I think Presto just chucks the tin at him.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for your kindness kalos. Did you attach a pink ribbon to him so we would know to thank you for the gift when he returns (or for Presto to throttle him with)?

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

They love pilchards,you have to open the tin first though.I think Presto just chucks the tin at him.

No problem Pete, unfortunately not , he wouldn't come near anyone but if you had

Duck Pate in your hands he would make a bee line for you, almost tame .You could

say he was pate in our hands :classic_unsure: Very fussy eater though ,we tried Pilchards in the tin /

out of tin ,a load of other foods but the cute little thing seemed to have a real appetite

for foods that contained duck . I know Presto has a keen interest in herons and next

time she visits the park maybe take some bread for the ducks and some duck pate for 

the bird , everyone's happy this way .:classic_unsure:

Have a good day and keep safe everyone .:classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, thanks, there are solutions. And I don't drive that much these days, especially at night, so it's not really an issue.

It's just penny pinching on a £20k car!

When we replaced our car a few years back with the same make and model, I noticed that the dust caps on the tyres were now plastic instead of metal.

While it was still the metal dust cap era, someone nicked one off our car.  I kid you not, someone stole a dust cap from a tyre!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

When we replaced our car a few years back with the same make and model, I noticed that the dust caps on the tyres were now plastic instead of metal.

While it was still the metal dust cap era, someone nicked one off our car.  I kid you not, someone stole a dust cap from a tyre!  

We have had that happen as well and the best one was someone took a plastic cover 

from the hole where you would  attach the roof rack :classic_wacko:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We have had that happen as well and the best one was someone took a plastic cover 

from the hole where you would  attach the roof rack :classic_wacko:

I well remember when they were nicking badges due to some pop group.

I had the grill  broken in my Golf GTI, cost of fortune to replace.

VW dealers even started giving badges away for a while but it did not stop the dam vandals. 

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

My wife had a VW . We purchased valve caps with the VW logo on . When she came to change her car she was going to buy a VW, cos it would match her valve caps.I think they cost £3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I learnt on an old Mini, so got used to something pretty basic.  However, now it would be a struggle to manage without aircon, and now that it so much better than the olden days, I admit to preferring an automatic.  

Anyone else waiting for the renunciation of their titles by you-know-who?  Since they disapprove so much of the institution.

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Dont know what the problem is Heron's are beautiful birds and love watching them by the river/canal when we go for our "stay local" walk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Dont know what the problem is Heron's are beautiful birds and love watching them by the river/canal when we go for our "stay local" walk.

I completely agree that they are beautiful birds but some amongst us are protective of other equally beautiful small water fowl who may provide a beautiful heron with dinner. Nature can appear cruel as well as beautiful.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I completely agree that they are beautiful birds but some amongst us are protective of other equally beautiful small water fowl who may provide a beautiful heron with dinner. Nature can appear cruel as well as beautiful.

It can appear cruel but that is nature and hopefully it will never stop because that is how animals/birds survive. Mallards and many birds have large clutches of eggs because of the survival rate for many reasons. Many dont even manage to leave the nest before dying every year I clean my nest box out and there is always at least 1 blue tit fledgling dead in the nest.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Anyone else waiting for the renunciation of their titles by you-know-who?  Since they disapprove so much of the institution.

Not really the palace has said they will deal with it within the family as a private matter .

Best to let sleeping dogs lie basic-rgb-146637455.jpg.88ee96a1cdf22423aa7823f801cb2f54.jpg:classic_smile:

• Like 2

Morning all.  After a terrible night, couldn't get comfortable, up 4-5 times - don't ask, things have improved.  Not really in pain, just a bit sore, but nursey is taking out clips today and then I can have a shower!!

Re the Sussexes, I felt slightly sorry for her, but just don't think you should air your grievances in public.  The "colour of baby's skin" thing could have have been something taken out of context?  "I wonder what colour the baby's skin will be?"  could have been an innocent question.  When I was growing up, the word "coloured" was normal, now it's not.  But it's OK to say "person of colour".  It's hard not to get it wrong sometimes.  When I was flying, we flew with all "colours", a lots of our cabin crew were from lots of countries.  We never had any racism problems that I was aware of.

On a sensible topic, my TA thinks our 19 nighter in October has an 80% chance of going.  He says from September, things are looking good.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We had a period of time when the dust caps from both of our cars seemed to be disappearing as quickly as we could replace them.  Fortunately I worked for a tyre manufacturer and was at that time working on developing new IT systems for the warehouse so the warehouse manager gave me a box full of them so that I didn't have to ask for them every time I went in there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I well remember when they were nicking badges due to some pop group.

I had the grill  broken in my Golf GTI, cost of fortune to replace.

VW dealers even started giving badges away for a while but it did not stop the dam vandals. 

I remember - mid 80s. Beastie Boys I think.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

On a sensible topic, my TA thinks our 19 nighter in October has an 80% chance of going.  He says from September, things are looking good.

That sounds good for our October cruise on Sky Princess. BUT, the cruise itself is only one part of the equation. What about social distancing on board, and the really big issue - independent shore visits?

Still a decision to be made before balance due date.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, davecttr said:

Sort of on topic. I just realised there is a census soon which you complete online using your access code which is in the letter they sent you. Except I have not received a letter. Has everyone else received theirs?

We’ve had ours Dave.

I hope everyone is ok.  Are you having crazy weather like we are - bright sunshine & blue sky one minute, hammering rain the next.  Nice rainbows though  🌈  Haven’t found the crock of gold.

Feeling pretty low today.  An anniversary sort of thing, I think.  I well remember Friday 13 March 2020.  Johnson had done his first broadcast the day before - “a lot of people are going to die “ sort of thing, and people had started their own voluntary lockdown.  It was a nice day and we walked to the pub.  It’s normally rammed on a Friday lunchtime but there were hardly any customers.  We had a soup but didn’t feel comfortable and didn’t stay long.

And that was it, basically.  Haven’t felt free since.  Still watching cases rise again in Europe and stop falling in the devolved nations here.  That might be ok if vaccination means cases do not progress to serious illness, hospitalisation and deaths.  We’ll see.  I’d still rather err on the side of caution and forego thought of holidays this year to secure holidays every other year.

If I disappear from CC for a while, don’t be alarmed.  I’m low; I’m bored with circular arguments and I think it’s break time.  Maybe only for a day or two, maybe until things look better, maybe when I actually have a cruise in prospect!  Who knows?

Take care.  Be well

• Like 10