Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

29 minutes ago, mwf7501 said:

Ok, I know it's Irish, not Scottish, but the phone booth immediately took me back to "Waking Ned Devine", and gave me a smile.   Gracias. 

It probably reminds most people of local Hero, I great feel good film with music to match.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

It probably reminds most people of local Hero, I great feel good film with music to match.

Absolutely and what a great film. Watched it countless times and yes , the music is perfect.  Ann. 

Our final part of testing our tolerance to travel involved two days in London (including a flight to/from deserted airports). In a way, we were Covid beneficiaries with a dream come true.  After 50 years in the ballot, I sat online pushing buttons for 30 minutes on a wet Thursday lunchtime recently and bingo, the men’s semifinals were ours.  
We also went to an empty Tower of London - never visited in the day before, if your near go now, absolutely no lines not even at the Crown Jewels.  We also went over to see the Diana statue, it’s beautiful and again a quiet easy walk around (it’s in the park so no need for a Palace visit).  The staff were saying they fear once tours start again the walkway will be mobbed by large groups all jostling to view through the lovely arches so again, if near go now.
It was a most memorable three day/two night experience felt so safe even on the underground- let’s hope that was indeed the case.  Now we are back home to reality and a lengthy appointment with the washing machine and iron. 

C75367F2-7DDA-43CB-A9CC-01475177899D.jpeg

0F10CCCD-A4A8-4561-83F0-6B5E6CA97C24.jpeg

49537711-A79E-4ECD-823A-B2AE9B11EF25.jpeg

FA6AF239-12CD-46C6-9A06-5D64494900F4.jpeg

• Like 10

We should have started a roll call!

Also took the opportunity to go into London last week for a couple of days before the tourists and office workers return.  So much more enjoyable then normal to walk around and take in some sights.  As you rightly say, even the tube was manageable (didn’t know they had seats)!

Picture taken from the Shard viewing platform.

86EAEB70-60DD-4646-ACDD-A58172C1C99F.jpeg

• Like 5

Some months ago on this board, Mackdogmolly introduced me to Cameo as a suitable service to enlist celebrities to celebrate birthdays, etc. in these less than social times.

I just used it for my wife’s birthday, enlisting Jann Arden who is well known to many Canadians, and I am being lauded for thoughtfulness and creativity. These are qualities that I need assistance in!

I am certain that there are other services that help us enjoy these important moments during the pandemic and I have benefited from other posters’ advice on Cruise Critic. Thanks to all!!!

In more general news we are:

1/ As of yesterday enjoying a little more freedom in dining out etc. as we wait to see the impact of the Delta variant.

2/ In perhaps good news for Mackdogmolly, PM Trudeau has announced that if vaccinations continue here apace, the border may be opened to vaccinated Americans in about a month.

3/ It also looks like baseball’s Blue Jays will return to the Rogers Centre in Toronto at the end of this month so that we will have a chance to watch them win the “World Series” in person, Ok, that isn’t happening. 😄

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, nordski said:

Some months ago on this board, Mackdogmolly introduced me to Cameo as a suitable service to enlist celebrities to celebrate birthdays, etc. in these less than social times.

I just used it for my wife’s birthday, enlisting Jann Arden who is well known to many Canadians, and I am being lauded for thoughtfulness and creativity. These are qualities that I need assistance in!

I am certain that there are other services that help us enjoy these important moments during the pandemic and I have benefited from other posters’ advice on Cruise Critic. Thanks to all!!!

In more general news we are:

1/ As of yesterday enjoying a little more freedom in dining out etc. as we wait to see the impact of the Delta variant.

2/ In perhaps good news for Mackdogmolly, PM Trudeau has announced that if vaccinations continue here apace, the border may be opened to vaccinated Americans in about a month.

3/ It also looks like baseball’s Blue Jays will return to the Rogers Centre in Toronto at the end of this month so that we will have a chance to watch them win the “World Series” in person, Ok, that isn’t happening. 😄

So glad the Cameo worked out for the missus!! And happy you are getting a bit more freedom. So SO excited that the border might open soon! Vermont depends on Canadian tourists and we can’t WAIT to go back to Montreal!

26 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

So glad the Cameo worked out for the missus!! And happy you are getting a bit more freedom. So SO excited that the border might open soon! Vermont depends on Canadian tourists and we can’t WAIT to go back to Montreal!

I must admit that I took total responsibility for the gift, and if we ever meet on board Azamara I am counting on you to not reveal that the idea wasn’t mine.

Apparently, a few weeks ago, some travellers used the front lawn of the library and opera house in Derby, Vermont, to  drive across the border. I’m confident you will be more obedient to the law.

I do hope you can visit Montreal soon, and perhaps by then the residents will have recovered from losing in the Stanley Cup finals.

I’m also certain that there are a lot of Canadians anxious to head south.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nordski said:
1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I must admit that I took total responsibility for the gift, and if we ever meet on board Azamara I am counting on you to not reveal that the idea wasn’t mine

Mum’s the word! 🤫

Like Mackdogmolly, we are so looking forward to the border reopening.

We are planning a trip through upstate NY, Montreal and Quebec in late September.   Already booked our hotels last month in anticipation of the border reopening by then.  We have many free hotel night certificates (about 20), most of which had their expirations extended due to COVID and while we probably won't get to use all of them before their new expiration dates, we were able to use 9 of them for this jaunt!  Can't wait.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the mice said:

We are planning a trip through upstate NY, Montreal and Quebec in late September.   Already booked our hotels last month in anticipation of the border reopening by then.  We have many free hotel night certificates (about 20), most of which had their expirations extended due to COVID and while we probably won't get to use all of them before their new expiration dates, we were able to use 9 of them for this jaunt!  Can't wait.   

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Are you going to Quebec City too?

13 hours ago, the mice said:

Right now, if fully vaccinated it looks like you can make plans for as early as August 9.

Welcome back!

6 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Are you going to Quebec City too?

Our current plans are to spend 3 nights each in Montreal and Quebec City.   We have been in both before (Montreal several times, Quebec City twice), so we may just wander around more than do the traditional sights/museums, etc.  Haven't made any definite plans.  I drove around Ile d'Orleans with my mom way back in 1975 but DH has never been, so thought we might do that.   Otherwise, we may just go on the hunt for another Inuit sculpture to add to our collection.  And just enjoy both cities and being away.   

• Like 3

DW and I visited Eastern townships area of Quebec in 2019.  We were looking for covered bridges, DW's focus.  I wrote about it here:   http://www.vermontbridges.org/keatings_in_quebec_june_2019.shtml

This is the area where Louise Penny has set her Armand Gamache mystery series.  Here is my review of book 1.    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1281167864

We did not go to Montreal or Quebec city.  We have previously visited all of New England's covered bridges--585 worldwide so far.

• Like 1

This post is for Mackdogmolly as it pertains to a discussion we were having on another thread.

As she surmised, there are rather ridiculous trade barriers between the provinces although I don’t know the details re: wines and alcohols.

The sale of these products is also very different as they are not available at a dépanneur as in Québec. 

We were very aware of Buffalo as it was the source of the three American TV networks that kept us entertained. I am not very familiar with East Aurora, as it didn’t seem to enjoy a nightly house fire that would be the lede on every episode of Irv Weinstein’s Eyewitness News.

I must point out that I think it will soon be more difficult for Canadians to cross the border than vice versa. No slipping across to enjoy a “Jenny” at a bar.