Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

Apparently we have reached the level of 80% adults vaccinated in Ontario, and are awaiting authorization for the under-12’s to receive their dose.

I will also note that I received an email today from a reputable source, The Cleveland Clinic, debating whether “real” maple syrup is a healthier choice than products made from cane sugar.

There is at least one poster on this forum who already knows the answer to this question, but I know that scientific research will make the case for Azamara providing the real syrup on board even more compelling. 😄

Autumn is in the air, and I took several photos of the cacophony of Canada Geese on our lake. Lacking an informative discussion board like Cruise Critic

, there apparently was much noisy debate about rules and flight paths to head to the southern USA.

There were many more geese than I could capture.8F783281-1CE9-4417-90FE-E91F898A1752.thumb.jpeg.5d696daa1271096008b649fb14f2313e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nordski,  you are making me wish I was in Canada.  Was supposed to go this week, but sadly as I have previously shared here, DH didn't want to go and so we are home.   

However, we just got our Pfizer booster shots on Friday - and were both knocked for a loop this weekend.   I never had a reaction to the first 2 doses, but I sure did for this one.   DH had a reaction to shot 2 and even more for this one.  

Feeling better now, and hope travel, more than local, will be in our future soon.

5 hours ago, the mice said:

Nordski,  you are making me wish I was in Canada.  Was supposed to go this week, but sadly as I have previously shared here, DH didn't want to go and so we are home.   

However, we just got our Pfizer booster shots on Friday - and were both knocked for a loop this weekend.   I never had a reaction to the first 2 doses, but I sure did for this one.   DH had a reaction to shot 2 and even more for this one.  

Feeling better now, and hope travel, more than local, will be in our future soon.

Ahh, but most of the geese will agree with your DH and will be flying in your direction, perhaps partially using a route down the beautiful  Hudson River. A few stalwarts will stay here; that may be foolish.

We will be welcoming the Yankees in Toronto for an important series and, perhaps being less adventurous like your husband, I have no intention of attending in person now that the capacity limit of the ball park has been doubled.

Glad that you’ve had your booster shot although not for the resultant side effects.  Our youngest had hers (she is immunocompromised) with no issues. We are looking forward to ours, but the under 12’s will be a higher priority. 

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nordski said:

Our youngest had hers (she is immunocompromised) with no issues. We are looking forward to ours, but the under 12’s will be a higher priority. 

Happy to hear your youngest had no side effects from her latest shot.   I suppose we should be thankful that we were easily able to get our boosters, unlike the ordeal of getting our first two.   My 2nd was on a beautiful sunny day, but 2 days later my DH had to stand in a blizzard for 90 minutes!    Good thing we are OK with winter and snow - we actually traveled to Canada on a number of occasions in the wintertime, since we used to X-C ski (now I've got osteo, so worry about a fall/hip fracture, and DH's knees aren't what they used to be 😄).   We once spent 5 days in Quebec City in late November - freezing temps, snow - we loved that trip!  So, we look forward to a trip north once DH is more comfortable - but maybe in warmer weather. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, the mice said:

Happy to hear your youngest had no side effects from her latest shot.   I suppose we should be thankful that we were easily able to get our boosters, unlike the ordeal of getting our first two.   My 2nd was on a beautiful sunny day, but 2 days later my DH had to stand in a blizzard for 90 minutes!    Good thing we are OK with winter and snow - we actually traveled to Canada on a number of occasions in the wintertime, since we used to X-C ski (now I've got osteo, so worry about a fall/hip fracture, and DH's knees aren't what they used to be 😄).   We once spent 5 days in Quebec City in late November - freezing temps, snow - we loved that trip!  So, we look forward to a trip north once DH is more comfortable - but maybe in warmer weather. 

What wonderful memories you have and they reminded me of our trips to XSki in Quebec. I hope, as present conditions improve, you can revisit “La Belle Province” and, of course, return to Azamara.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, nordski said:

will also note that I received an email today from a reputable source, The Cleveland Clinic, debating whether “real” maple syrup is a healthier choice than products made from cane sugar.

Them’s fighting words!

https://www.parkersmaple.com/blogs/blog/the-sugar-wars-maple-syrup-vs-cane-sugar

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I shared The Cleveland Clinic assessment  with a cruise buddy who accused me of “confirmation bias” in my reading of it.

Hurtfully, she also has accused me of being a “syrup snob”.

I would forward your article, but I fear she will not be joining any crusade to pressure Azamara to stock Mother Nature’s magic syrup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordski said:

I shared The Cleveland Clinic assessment  with a cruise buddy who accused me of “confirmation bias” in my reading of it.

Hurtfully, she also has accused me of being a “syrup snob”.

I would forward your article, but I fear she will not be joining any crusade to pressure Azamara to stock Mother Nature’s magic syrup.

I will happily cop to being a syrup snob! 😀

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, the mice said:

Paging Tom47 -

This article just came to my email today.    I'm going to assume you and your wife have seen all of them.   

https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/15-swoon-worthy-covered-bridges-in-the-u-s/YFUE_i-BWwAGfczR?

We have seen all but one, Goodpasture bridge in Oregon.  We are currently on a Columbia river cruise , but will not get to see any covered bridges this trip.  We have seen Mt.St Helens.

25 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

We have seen all but one, Goodpasture bridge in Oregon.  We are currently on a Columbia river cruise , but will not get to see any covered bridges this trip.  We have seen Mt.St Helens.

Ooh - so close but so far?   Nice to see you are on a cruise and Mt. St. Helens is "behaving."   Enjoy!

• Like 1

I would take the ducks and the geese over the silently circling turkey vultures.  Every year we seem to be on their migration path. This year about 30 even bedded down for the night in the trees behind our house. All the rest of the birds and animals were dead silent.

Apologies if the photos show up as poor quality. I was working off of a cell phone.

IMG_7321.thumb.PNG.d1cfac48293aa5a50cc0f31b5055668a.PNGIMG_7312.thumb.jpg.e47aaa0473e1d83c38cc0a2d5e0a8c8b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago, Grandmacruising posted pictures of the mighty Humber in Yorkshire and I marvelled at the difference between it and its local namesake. So, below, I’ve included a photo to illustrate the nature of our local waterway which is one of three Ontario rivers that have their headwaters in our community.

I also included the sign which clearly identifies said River since some may be skeptical that it shares the name.

In Covid news our rate of infection has stabilized at a rather low number. Consequently we will see a lessening of restrictions.

As for travel, it will soon be permitted to travel for leisure reasons, although one must have downloaded a QR code to prove double vaccination.

It is anticipated that very soon doses will be approved for 5-11 year olds, the last remaining cohort that has been ineligible so far.

And in personal news, I have followed the posts of those who are now cruising and we have firmed up plans for an Iceland itinerary.

Although, we have just received notice that the Edinburgh Military Tattoo is back this summer and that remains a priority.

F8AB6C77-6DE4-4F69-B4F2-5940C10A2510.jpeg

C16D51AD-016D-42A7-B196-562C9615AD04.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I can certainly see the difference, nordski!

We woke up to a beautiful sunrise this morning.

20399740-E860-4F71-92B8-10614561DA52.jpeg

89822B1E-82CC-40DA-90E4-356918C571E0.jpeg

We had them same view looking towards Hull (eastwards) but just a while later looking towards Leeds (westwards) we had a beautiful double rainbow, sorry no pictures.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I can certainly see the difference, nordski!

We woke up to a beautiful sunrise this morning.

20399740-E860-4F71-92B8-10614561DA52.jpeg

89822B1E-82CC-40DA-90E4-356918C571E0.jpeg

First, I must apologize for misspelling your name on this forum. Given your presence here and dedication to making it a better place, I shouldn’t have made that error.

Secondly, I will concede that our Humber is rather larger at its mouth where it empties into Lake Ontario. But it still would not be an attraction as is  the Yorkshire and Humber region in England. I still don’t know what our settlers were thinking when they named the Ontario river.

As travel becomes more viable we do hope to see that magnificent River in person. Perhaps we can combine that visit with The Edinburgh Tattoo.

Finally, thanks to you and Bloodaxe for continuing to whet our appetite.

• Like 3

The review of my recent Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky cruise (B2B from Valletta to Naples and then circumnavigation of Sicily) is now available on Cruise Critic [link below].  A more detailed day-by-day blog with lots of pictures is available here:  https://jazzbeauxmediterraneanblog2021.wordpress.com/

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The review of my recent Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky cruise (B2B from Valletta to Naples and then circumnavigation of Sicily) is now available on Cruise Critic [link below].  A more detailed day-by-day blog with lots of pictures is available here:  https://jazzbeauxmediterraneanblog2021.wordpress.com/

Thanks for posting the link to your cruise review Host Jazzbeau. It was fascinating - I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. 

15 hours ago, nordski said:

First, I must apologize for misspelling your name on this forum. Given your presence here and dedication to making it a better place, I shouldn’t have made that error.

Secondly, I will concede that our Humber is rather larger at its mouth where it empties into Lake Ontario. But it still would not be an attraction as is  the Yorkshire and Humber region in England. I still don’t know what our settlers were thinking when they named the Ontario river.

As travel becomes more viable we do hope to see that magnificent River in person. Perhaps we can combine that visit with The Edinburgh Tattoo.

Finally, thanks to you and Bloodaxe for continuing to whet our appetite.

Don’t worry about my name - I answer to anything!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This week the American border was opened for nonessential travel from Canada and the TV news shows couldn't contain their excitement as they ran stock footage of border crossings.

Interestingly, the only reports of congestion were from Quebec, and that suggests that, a/ there are fewer crossing points, or b/ the Green Mountains of Vermont are a greater attraction  than the Adirondacks of New York State.

Mackdogmolly may have thoughts on that.

To return to Canada you need a recent PCR test or to accept a 14-day quarantine.

CBC news reported on a Quebec gentleman who was disturbed by the $200.00 fee to visit his second home in Vermont.

Not knowing more of his story, social media was not sympathetic.

I am willing to pay that fee if I can escape the yardwork of collecting fallen leaves.

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Interestingly, the only reports of congestion were from Quebec, and that suggests that, a/ there are fewer crossing points, or b/ the Green Mountains of Vermont are a greater attraction  than the Adirondacks of New York State.

Yes, Quebecers love VT and we love Quebec! I think that there are only two crossings in Vermont - the major one in Highgate, and a tiny little rural crossing called Morse’s Line. We prefer it because there is never a line!