Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

On 8/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, nordski said:

Note for Grandmacruising.

This morning I learned that in Anglo-Saxon England “Northumbria” referred to North of the Humber River. This makes obvious sense but I had never realized it.

And when the Humber was mentioned, I immediately thought of the delightful photos you have posted on this thread.

Thanks again!

Well, you have just taught me something I didn’t know - although as you say, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information.

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Well, you have just taught me something I didn’t know - although as you say, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information.

Really surprised at you Grandma, see my reply to Nordski  post 813.

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Glad that it was interesting information.

It was quite useful that I could imagine the mighty Humber from your photos, and they helped to make perfect sense of its role as a potential boundary.

As I mentioned the original is much more impressive than its namesake near our home.

Our local Humber would not serve so well in delineating territory.

My first bicycle was a Humber.  It was very expensive, but my Father liked the idea that it had a fully enclosed chain guard to keep my pants clean.  Unfortunately it got stolen early on and my Mom said she'd wash the grease off my pants if we got something cheaper for me to ride...

24 minutes ago, nordski said:

Glad that it was interesting information.

It was quite useful that I could imagine the mighty Humber from your photos, and they helped to make perfect sense of its role as a potential boundary.

As I mentioned the original is much more impressive than its namesake near our home.

Our local Humber would not serve so well in delineating territory.

Most of the Rivers in the north and midlands end up in the Humber, it drains approximately one third of the land mass of England.

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My first bicycle was a Humber.  It was very expensive, but my Father liked the idea that it had a fully enclosed chain guard to keep my pants clean.  Unfortunately it got stolen early on and my Mom said she'd wash the grease off my pants if we got something cheaper for me to ride...

Humber were top notch bikes, we also had Humber high end cars many years ago.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Most of the Rivers in the north and midlands end up in the Humber, it drains approximately one third of the land mass of England.

The watershed for our Humber is far, far more humble.

Although an interesting feature of our landscape, and now a useful source for recreation, it still interests me that the local settlers gave such a less imposing waterway that name.

2 minutes ago, nordski said:

The watershed for our Humber is far, far more humble.

Although an interesting feature of our landscape, and now a useful source for recreation, it still interests me that the local settlers gave such a less imposing waterway that name

Coincidentally only yesterday we were driving over the Yorkshire Wolds after visiting Beverley (Grandma country) with great vistas over the Hunber.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Coincidentally only yesterday we were driving over the Yorkshire Wolds after visiting Beverley (Grandma country) with great vistas over the Hunber.

I am dreaming of making that drive some day, or perhaps “taking it” is a better term as I lack the confidence to grab the wheel on the other side of the car. Maybe I can hire a driver and a vintage Humber to really enjoy the trip.

By the way, the author you recommended, Bernard Cornwall, was on BBC 4 this morning discussing Alfred, Wessex, and the Vikings.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:19 AM, Tom47 said:

I searched for Bernard Cornwell and BBC4, but not available on my cable network.  Here is my review  War of the Wolf    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2421028472?type=review#rating_405425907

book 11 in the series. 

I have not come across these, but from your review I feel sure I would enjoy them.

Love your comment ". . . . like discussing a rainbow with a blind man."

• Like 2

Well, it is my good luck that, despite my inability to visit Yorkshire physically, it is constantly showing up in the media.

In the most recent case. it is a story about scientists attempting to suppress the growing population of gray squirrels who are native here in Eastern Canada, but an invasive species in the UK. Apparently there is an attempt to discover how to sterilize a sufficient number to decrease the population.

Let me warn you that in years spent fighting these guys, mostly to prevent property damage, I have discovered they are quite talented at avoiding the limits I have tried to place on them.

But when I visit Yorkshire I will be pleased not to see these reminders of home!

And I keep wondering, is there a port for cruise ships that would provide usable access to Yorkshire and its highlights?

Hull is a ferry port but is very rarely used by cruise ships, the nearest are Newcastle and Liverpool, the are sometimes used by lines like Fred Alson and Saga.

Azamara has sometimes called into both of them for the day on round Britain cruises.

It has been mentioned that Hull could build a cruise terminal in the future but it's unlikely IMO.

Grey Squirrels are classed has vermin in the UK and have taken over most habitats of the native reds which are most common in Scotland.

Some areas where Reds survive are now protected, if Grey's are seen you are asked to report it.

3 hours ago, nordski said:

But when I visit Yorkshire I will be pleased not to see these reminders of home!

We are somewhat overrun by these too. Mainly trying to defeat the squirrel guards on our bird feeders . They are extremely clever and persistent!

12 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Hull is a ferry port but is very rarely used by cruise ships, the nearest are Newcastle and Liverpool, the are sometimes used by lines like Fred Alson and Saga.

Azamara has sometimes called into both of them for the day on round Britain cruises.

It has been mentioned that Hull could build a cruise terminal in the future but it's unlikely IMO.

Grey Squirrels are classed has vermin in the UK and have taken over most habitats of the native reds which are most common in Scotland.

Some areas where Reds survive are now protected, if Grey's are seen you are asked to report it.

Thanks for the port suggestions. We have been to Liverpool on Azamara but spent our time at the Beatles Museum and on a city tour. Never thought of heading to Yorkshire but, if back, will do so.

Here our greys are being supplanted by black squirrels who, if anything, are even more destructive. I have had to give up on our vegetable guardian as my defensive walls were continually penetrated. I surrendered when I found myself thinking of razor wire.

I am rather gleeful that a family of foxes has taken up residence and the black squirrels have retreated,

Haha!  I've become a bit of an expert on grey squirrel vermin. Introduced to the UK from the US in Victorian times they have thrived here and as you say, decimated the red squirrel population and do huge damage to trees by bark stripping. They also predate song bird nests. They are a menace. When coupled with a neighbour who feeds them and continues despite requests they become a nightmare. Especially when you have an old oak and lots of conifers!

I have had considerable success in reducing their number and thus the damage they do to the ecosystem. If you Google Goodnature A18 I have despatched over 40 in the last year from my garden  Invented in New Zealand, Mr Fox loves me!  Licensed for use in many countries, but check with your own. They are quite expensive to buy, but totally worth it. 

Phil 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nordski said:

Thanks for the port suggestions. We have been to Liverpool on Azamara but spent our time at the Beatles Museum and on a city tour. Never thought of heading to Yorkshire but, if back, will do so.

Here our greys are being supplanted by black squirrels who, if anything, are even more destructive. I have had to give up on our vegetable guardian as my defensive walls were continually penetrated. I surrendered when I found myself thinking of razor wire.

I am rather gleeful that a family of foxes has taken up residence and the black squirrels have retreated,

I don't really think Liverpool is idea for a day visit to Yorkshire other than the western part of the Dales.

Newcastle is on the east coast mainline with regular trains to York which is only about a one hour journey, that would be a good day trip.

You really need to spend a few days rather than a visit when on a cruise.

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

I don't really think Liverpool is idea for a day visit to Yorkshire other than the western part of the Dales.

Newcastle is on the east coast mainline with regular trains to York which is only about a one hour journey, that would be a good day trip.

You really need to spend a few days rather than a visit when on a cruise.

We will certainly keep that advice in mind.

i can’t remember any Azamara cruises that ported at Newcastle.

Thanks again.

Just now, nordski said:

We will certainly keep that advice in mind.

i can’t remember any Azamara cruises that ported at Newcastle.

Thanks again.

Journey did few years ago but it is not a regular call for Azamara.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Bumper crop of peaches on our peach tree this year!

B31FC3AC-0AE9-4BB6-9DE4-4C7FB3380B1E.jpeg

With such a heavy load we used to use “props”

or long forked branches to keep the tree from suffering damage.

What variety are those? They are beautiful in appearance. 

44 minutes ago, nordski said:

With such a heavy load we used to use “props”

or long forked branches to keep the tree from suffering damage.

What variety are those? They are beautiful in appearance. 

We also have to stake the tree so it doesn’t fall over. It is a pretty young tree. Not sure of the variety, but they’re tasty!

• Thanks 1