PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Much though I LOVE cruising, we’re in our mid-60s and I doubt we will have any comfort level in cruising for at least 3-4 years, if ever again.  

Colorado Gov implemented state-wide mask requirement On Thursday because our infections are rising too quickly.  Gotta say I’m delighted and relieved.  Of the many things I’ve endured through the years, wearing a mask is ridiculously simple and I’m guessing most people can say the same.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Much though I LOVE cruising, we’re in our mid-60s and I doubt we will have any comfort level in cruising for at least 3-4 years, if ever again.  

Colorado Gov implemented state-wide mask requirement On Thursday because our infections are rising too quickly.  Gotta say I’m delighted and relieved.  Of the many things I’ve endured through the years, wearing a mask is ridiculously simple and I’m guessing most people can say the same.

Deleted

Edited by Reader0108598

well, we are now trying to decide ( unfortunately, not cruising ) how to spend a day or two in a couple of weeks to 

celebrate a birthday ...

1) day trip to the Atlantic Ocean - about an hour each way - hang out on the beach, then go to a nice, casual seafood restaurant on the intercoastal - then drive home

2) get up early and drive to the Gulf - specifically Siesta Key Beach - about 2 1/2 hours, get a motel room just to shower and sleep, go out to a nice, again casual seafood restaurant, go to the beach again the next day, then drive home after that.  We've done this exact trip before Covid -19 and really enjoy it ... but just have to consider that staying in a motel ...

both of these trips would be during the middle of the week, so hopefully fewer people ...

#SO_OVER_THIS

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Massachusetts is talking permanent masks. Til when? IDK

12 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I totally agree with you about never booking another Princess Cruise. They should be ashamed of themselves for keeping you waiting 135 days and not refunding you your money. All they have to say is be patient. That’s TERRIBLE!!! 

Tony

So you are committed to never cruising Princess again?

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

well, we are now trying to decide ( unfortunately, not cruising ) how to spend a day or two in a couple of weeks to 

celebrate a birthday ...

1) day trip to the Atlantic Ocean - about an hour each way - hang out on the beach, then go to a nice, casual seafood restaurant on the intercoastal - then drive home

2) get up early and drive to the Gulf - specifically Siesta Key Beach - about 2 1/2 hours, get a motel room just to shower and sleep, go out to a nice, again casual seafood restaurant, go to the beach again the next day, then drive home after that.  We've done this exact trip before Covid -19 and really enjoy it ... but just have to consider that staying in a motel ...

both of these trips would be during the middle of the week, so hopefully fewer people ...

#SO_OVER_THIS

I am over it too! I work in a skilled nursing and rehab facility.  We have done some overnight trips in hotels, and felt safe. As long as the room has its own ventilation/AC, you are very safe, especially if it has outside corridors. Just bring your disinfectant wipes and wipe down the things you will touch, or even soap and water on a washcloth is fine.

Enjoy your celebration!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I wish I could get an interest free loan with no requirements for a pay back date.

What a coincidence all my relatives have been doing it to me for years. 😳 So just get at the end of the line one more won’t matter. 🙄 😁
The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

14 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Of the many things I’ve endured through the years, wearing a mask is ridiculously simple and I’m guessing most people can say the same.

Actually, I freaking HATE wearing a mask but I've been doing it for quite some time as it seems to be the proper thing to do. I live in hope that someday this crap will go away and I won't have to wear one anymore.  I also really want to go out to "the old folks restaurant" (what my wife and I refer to it as...) and have breakfast. I miss "real" life, cruising, camping, etc. I'm crabby and want my old life back. I worked my entire life to get to where I could have a nice life and I feel cheated. (Wow. Makes me like about a bazillion other folks, doesn't it?) I know I'm not "special" but, dang it, it's my freaking life so it seems special to me. (You kids get off of my lawn!)

I'll keep wearing the damn mask as long as it needs to be worn. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Actually, I freaking HATE wearing a mask but I've been doing it for quite some time as it seems to be the proper thing to do. I live in hope that someday this crap will go away and I won't have to wear one anymore.  I also really want to go out to "the old folks restaurant" (what my wife and I refer to it as...) and have breakfast. I miss "real" life, cruising, camping, etc. I'm crabby and want my old life back. I worked my entire life to get to where I could have a nice life and I feel cheated. (Wow. Makes me like about a bazillion other folks, doesn't it?) I know I'm not "special" but, dang it, it's my freaking life so it seems special to me. (You kids get off of my lawn!)

I'll keep wearing the damn mask as long as it needs to be worn. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Good for you Thrak!! I totally agree with you. I can’t stand wearing a mask. It’s one for the reason I have been staying on my boat so much. 
Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Hi LoriPhil,

Nice to hear from you, have been off CC for a couple of years, while it was nice making so many new friends it got to the point of being silly, could not relax on a cruise for folks wanting help etc, so have not told anyone what we were doing, however  do have a cruise booked for end of next year, Scotland doing well no deaths for some time, daily infections did rise but that was mainly down to easing of measures,  kids going back to schools next month as normal, pubs serving out door just now indoor soon, wearing of masks now normal, nobody really has issues with government advise apart from teens who think nothing can touch them. Just infection rate is below 1% with about 20 new cases in Scotland.

Stay save out there

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I feel exactly the same.  For some reason today got so angry.  Need to look forward to something I guess.  Things are so different, not many years left.

A lot of my anger is watching neighbors having their huge weekly , sometimes daily pool parties. Gets me.

Edited by Caymus88
Add
  • Like 1

I hate wearing the masks, too.  Now that the summer heat is here, I find sweat running into the mask, and they get soggy and hard to breathe through (cloth ones).

I only go out every week to two weeks to get essentials, preferring not to deal with any of it at least as little as possible.

Talked with a brother-in-law in Oregon this morning on the telephone.  He said I should consider the plastic face shields.  Are they effective?  Does anyone know if they can replace masks?

Stay safe, all, and congratulations to Scotland on their mitigation success.  Hope it stays that way after schools and other restrictions are lifted.

14 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

TY I am down in Western Mass ,have not heard that yet!

Salem just mandated everyone over two must wear a mask or be fined $100.

Edited by Caymus88
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lindaru said:

I hate wearing the masks, too.  Now that the summer heat is here, I find sweat running into the mask, and they get soggy and hard to breathe through (cloth ones).

I only go out every week to two weeks to get essentials, preferring not to deal with any of it at least as little as possible.

Talked with a brother-in-law in Oregon this morning on the telephone.  He said I should consider the plastic face shields.  Are they effective?  Does anyone know if they can replace masks?

Stay safe, all, and congratulations to Scotland on their mitigation success.  Hope it stays that way after schools and other restrictions are lifted.

There was a Doctor on fox news this morning,he said you need to wear a mask with those. He said there is too much space in between you face and the shield.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

There was a Doctor on fox news this morning,he said you need to wear a mask with those. He said there is too much space in between you face and the shield.

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the dentist this week for mid-year cleaning.  They wore face shield plus mask, and had all patients gargle with a diluted hydrogen peroxide mix for 1 minute before they began work.  Interesting process... I was wondering how they would handle people breathing so close to each other for an extended period of time.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 12:08 AM, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

It was hot & sticky today in Boston. I’m still out on the Rowboat and it’s great in Boston harbor tonight. Luckily no rain all day today. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,
Tony

077015E4-DC79-4035-A5DE-EF3CC6161A5F.jpeg

I don't have a rowboat but my daughter said I could borrow hers if I like.

image.thumb.jpeg.84375d52693d6919ac0123e98a3d8311.jpeg

12 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak, I love it. She looks just like my first Rowboat. Keep it a few years then upgrade. 😁
Tony

It's not mine - it belongs to my daughter. I don't really have need of a boat although my wife has talked about renting a houseboat on a lake for a few days. The rowboat my daughter has used to belong to a friend and, many years ago, I did go fishing with him in that boat. It has a small outboard. It is not exactly comfortable or luxurious but it's also much less expensive than your boat. I couldn't possibly afford a "rowboat" like yours. I'm amazed we can afford to cruise.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's not mine - it belongs to my daughter. I don't really have need of a boat although my wife has talked about renting a houseboat on a lake for a few days. The rowboat my daughter has used to belong to a friend and, many years ago, I did go fishing with him in that boat. It has a small outboard. It is not exactly comfortable or luxurious but it's also much less expensive than your boat. I couldn't possibly afford a "rowboat" like yours. I'm amazed we can afford to cruise.

Hi Thrak, You and your wife are always welcome on The Rowboat. My cruising day may be over on Princess unless things get better with the virus. I know I don’t want to walk around with a mask on all day. Today I was out all day on the Rowboat it was hot but I loved it. Boston’s officially in a heat wave it was in the 90s three days in a row. 
Tony

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak, You and your wife are always welcome on The Rowboat. My cruising day may be over on Princess unless things get better with the virus. I know I don’t want to walk around with a mask on all day. Today I was out all day on the Rowboat it was hot but I loved it. Boston’s officially in a heat wave it was in the 90s three days in a row. 
Tony

In the 90s... That's pretty nice actually. Many folks are having much hotter weather but, then again, they likely have lower humidity so it's hard to say how the heat is affecting folks. I'd love to check out the rowboat. I looks like it cost more than my home. 😵 Ah, well. I'm pretty happy with my life so I'm not really jealous. I'm actually pretty happy that you can enjoy such a nice toy. I might do the same if I could afford to do so but, then again, I get seasick so probably not. I would probably have invested in a mountain cabin instead. I love it that people are not all the same. If everybody was like me I'd likely freak out and go postal on them. (I don't think I'd want to live with someone like me all the time...)  Enjoy your getaway. We plan to go camping for 3 days and then spend 3 days "camping" on our middle kid's land. He just purchased 7 acres near Burnt Ranch, California as he will likely be stationed near there for the next 3 years or so. Plenty of room for us to park our little teardrop and visit with him and his wife and our second youngest grandchild. (She is freaking AWESOME!) Looking forward to the visit but also to the camping. My wife and I absolutely love getting out into the woods to camp. (I would love to see a bill making it illegal to use the term "campground" in reference to a freaking RV park. That is NOT camping!!!)

We only have a pitiful 3 days of camping planned before hitting our son's place but "might" manage a couple of days afterward for a bit more camping. (We had a 5 week camping trip plotted out for earlier this year but the stoooooooopid virus screwed that for us.) We are a bit weird in that we love cruising with all of the pampering and also camping in the woods. Trees, dirt, etc. We have no issue taking our own water or using pit toilets. (Hey! A pit toilet is pretty slick compared with some places we've been...) Listening to the wind soughing through the trees is awesome. Sometimes we camp where there is nobody else and not likely to be anybody else. We love our evening campfire and reading aloud to each other. Yeah, we're pretty dorky but, after being married for 48 years (and being together for 50 years) we are pretty happy with our dorky ways. We met when I was 17 and got married when I was 19. I truly believe we are probably the only people in history of the world who ever got engaged at a Mothers of Invention concert. (You have to admit it's pretty freaking odd...) Oddly enough, we didn't have any children until I was 21. I (Not the usual case with marrying that young. 😎)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2