PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Clayton is up to 18 cases which might not seem like alot but our population is 11.5k. 

Just rebooked my Pacific Northwest Coast Cruise for 2022 ..... unfortunately not on the Grand Princess. I should be on the Majestic Princess now 🌏

Thrak, I totally agree that camping and RVing are different animals. We enjoy both, but are leaning more toward RVing now, especially since we are buying a new one in which we will live most of the time. We definitely prefer the rural RV parks, with lots of trees and wildlife, but have slept in fairgrounds, truck stops, Walmart parking lots, in front of friends'  houses, etc. between those rural places. The new coach does indeed cost more than the house we bought in 1991 when we got married and the one we live in now, purchased in 2001. We met our goal of being mortgage free before our oldest started college in 2013, but we've taken a new mortgage now to pay for the RV. Fortunately, the value of the house has tripled, and mortgage interest rates are quite low. We are fortunate, indeed. I still wish we were cruising and traveling internationally for the first 4-5 years of retirement, as we had planned, and the RV purchase was still a few years away, but that's not feasible now. We can complain that our roses have thorns, or we can be grateful our thorns have roses. I choose gratitude.

So now we will mostly live in our house on wheels, which is a wonderful way to be socially and physically distant from others. Hopefully, most of that time will be spent in heavily wooded areas such as the ones we were in in MT, WA, and OR earlier this month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Hopefully, most of that time will be spent in heavily wooded areas such as the ones we were in in MT, WA, and OR earlier this month.

Do a search on "Boondocking Idaho".  You will find lots of isolated gems of places you can go, some even with natural hot springs.  Plenty of You Tube videos on the subject.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Excellent attitude!

Thanks! I got that quote from the great philosopher Ziggy, from a newspaper comic in the 70s. I've been saying it ever since.

I can't find the original cartoon online, but you may recognize this guy:

image.png.9949914fb56a0f193f8c72ccfa1c78da.png

Edited to add that I cut out the original cartoon and had it on my bedroom mirror until I moved out of my parents' house.. I don't know what happened to it after that.

Edited by MamaFej
  • Like 1

Our first known brush with Covid, as we received a call from our bank than an employee tested positive and they were alerting patrons who had been in the branch (and we were for a 1 hour appointment but in a private office) while he was working.  Yikes!  So grateful we always wear masks, distance where possible and use our sanitizer when we get back in the car.  We’re past the 14 day incubation period now, but it’s sobering and a bit depressing.  

cancelled our November cruise Tuesday and received the email next day about Princess’ cancelling cruises along with their offer in lieu of refund, but since we have no intention of cruising for years at the earliest, did not accept.  Suspect it will be months before we see the deposit returned.

ummmm — think it’s time for more coffee and a nice soothing murder mystery on cable.

Edited by LoriPhil

Our December cruise was canceled by Princess yesterday.  I'm not surprised and I'm happy we had not made the final payment.  I asked our travel agent to tell them we did not want FCC and to return our deposit.  Princess acknowledged the request and said it would be at least 60 days until the reimbursement is processed.  We haven't been anywhere this year to date which isn't like us.    We had a wonderful Panama Canal cruise, partial transit, round trip FLL, on Island Princess in October 2018.  I am glad to have the memory of it, as well as the memories of our cruises on other Princess ships.   In early August we are going to rent a villa in Vero Beach for a few days - it will be on the beach, we'll have a kitchen, and our family can join us because it is 2 BR, 2Baths.  Hope we will be able to sail again with Princess some time in the future.

Edited by genmasjoy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, genmasjoy said:

Our December cruise was canceled by Princess yesterday.  I'm not surprised and I'm happy we had not made the final payment.  I asked our travel agent to tell them we did not want FCC and to return our deposit.  Princess acknowledged the request and said it would be at least 60 days until the reimbursement is processed.  We haven't been anywhere this year to date which isn't like us.    We had a wonderful Panama Canal cruise, partial transit, round trip FLL, on Island Princess in October 2018.  I am glad to have the memory of it, as well as the memories of our cruises on other Princess ships.   In early August we are going to rent a villa in Vero Beach for a few days - it will be on the beach, we'll have a kitchen, and our family can join us because it is 2 BR, 2Baths.  Hope we will be able to sail again with Princess some time in the future.

If you get your money in 60 days everyone should call you Mr. lucky. 
Tony

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Your right it’s only someone else’s money. So let Princess keep it. 😳  
Tony

Dimmit Tony!  Don't give them any more ideas!  They may take you up on it.

BTW: I'm still waiting for my interest free loans with no definite repayment date.  In this age of computerization, why can't refunds be made instantly?  They can accept new cruise deposits instantly.  Sorry, I don't buy the lame 'Covid" excuse anymore.  That excuse is wearing very thin.

16 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I don't buy the lame 'Covid" excuse anymore.  That excuse is wearing very thin.

I totally agree with you !!  Princess is just holding the money for as long as they can. It’s just not right. 
Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

I guess we have several things to be grateful for:

1. We are all healthy & housed

2. The wedding that was supposed to happened is rescheduled for April (might have to cancel that TA cruise)

3. The next stimulus will reportedly cover 70% of missing income (currently covers 40% with Fed 600 + state so is that a raise?!?)

4. Our city hit the 'milestone' of 18 Covid cases -- all recovered / most 100%

5. GOT A HAIRCUT -- shorter than normal bc I don't know if it'll close down again

6. Princess only owes me a little less than 10k

On 7/23/2020 at 1:08 PM, genmasjoy said:

That's such a good idea!! Taking the dog to Mendocino (river rafting) or Carmel / Monterey for a week and might rent a house so the kids & grandkids can veg out on the beach. If my daughter goes then I can go to the aquarium  ..... would never leave Koda alone at someone else's place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends, The question is How are things were you are. Well all I can say is in Boston it’s HOT !! 🥵.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Hey Tony, it’s hot here too, heat wave they say.  35-37 deg C this week !  Beats all the rain and wind we have had this year.  

lots of new cases in B.C. from two parties held by out of towners July 1 long weekend.  90 cases now just from one party after they announced our city was open for business and all the younguns came to party 🥴

Diane

Monsoons continue for next few days and we actually got rain!  Our COVID positive numbers here in ElPaso county (Colorado Springs region) have Increased so our local health folksare presenting plans to the Governor on how to ebb the trend, as we are at risk for roll-back of some of the reopening exceptions previously granted.  Happily hospitals are in good shape - at least right now.

in the meantime life seems to go on - a nice surprise out the kitchen window as everyone gets breakfast.

66D27C65-D838-48CE-966D-0711F38B7F88.jpeg

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PrincessDano said:

Hey Tony, it’s hot here too, heat wave they say.  35-37 deg C this week !  Beats all the rain and wind we have had this year.  

lots of new cases in B.C. from two parties held by out of towners July 1 long weekend.  90 cases now just from one party after they announced our city was open for business and all the younguns came to party 🥴

Diane

Hi Diane, It’s still Hot Hot in Boston so I’m staying on the Rowboat for a couple of days until it gets a little cooler and less humid.

I’m going to Main on the Rowboat. My Son and granddaughters want to spend the night on the Rowboat with me. 🥰 😁

8C196FE1-89C3-494B-A250-BABD057C99AF.jpeg

• Like 2

I think we hit a "sizzling" 73 degrees the other day. However, when it gets

warm inland (Olympia), then the fog rolls in.

Lindaru- Thanks for the hint on "Boondocking Idaho"! Idaho is just

next door, however completely across Washington for us.

P.S. We were able to spot the comet "Neowise" a few times. That was

really fun.

• Like 1

Hi, Nini . . . probably a full day drive then to get here.

We are planning a trip to Bellingham for September.  We have family business there we need to take care of after one of our family passed away in June.

Our area of Idaho is going to be excessively hot for the next week to two weeks.  Our weather anchor says we are now in the "dog days of summer".  Boise could see 109 before the weekend is over.  McCall in the nineties.

Glad you got to see Neowise!

☀️☄️

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

It was a great day on the Rowboat. Off the coast of Main when my granddaughter’s started to jump up and down. They both said look papa there’s a shark. I have never seen one swim by me while I was on the Rowboat. I looked at my son and we were thinking about the Movie Jaws. Mike said dad I think we need a bigger boat. We both started to laugh. I started the engine and we were out of there.
Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1