PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

well, we got our 'shelter in place' order effective at midnight last night … really doesn't change much for us as to what we have already been doing for the last 2-3 weeks anyway … 

gorgeous day here in central florida … sunshine, blue skies, and about 80 or so later today

did our first online grocery order … ordered on Wed, delivered on Thur , got a couple of substitutions with our approval, and a couple of out of stock to be notified if it comes in, if we still want it

Publix thru Instacart

groceries - $ 106.01

sales tax - 5.48

delivery fee - 3.99

tip on card - 5.30

service fee - 1.59

alcohol service fee - 4.00

extra cash tip on delivery - 5.00 and gave a mask to the driver for his use

may do again, but we are really stocked , at least for now

later

• Like 1

Thank you to CJSKIDS for starting this thread. I have enjoyed getting to know

fellow cruisers on a more personal level. 

Thrak- I am glad your son spoke with you on alternatives for moving "the kids".

And I am jealous that you live near a beautiful campground that is not closed.

We really enjoy our travel trailer trips in Northern California and Hwy. 395.

Washington and Oregon State Parks are closed and I am pretty sure we will 

not be making it to Yellowstone this year.

Take care everyone!

Thought I would check in, still hunkered down! At least the weather in southern Wisconsin has been nice the past few days. Our morning walks are something Darlene and I really look forward to. Been doing a little yard work and tuned up my lawn mower for the season. Our biggest disappointment is not seeing the family and our 6 grandkids during this virus lockdown. Kenosha as of this morning had 79 cases of the coronavirus. Milwaukee is now over 1000 cases and Wisconsin as a whole is over 2000 cases. I feel bad for those folks and all the medical staff in the hot zones like New York City. These folks are real hero's!!!! Well I hope TMC has a good movie on tonight. I do have a few recorded though. Stay safe everyone.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 1

Colorado governor today directed all to wear face coverings when away from the house, which is a reasonable added safety step with new info and how fast numbers are growing here.  Interesting to enter a liquor store wearing a bandana and being welcomed.  Too bad banks are drive-through only now - that could have been fun!.

• Haha 1

My husband and I both work in the grocery stores. So we are both still working full-time plus. Have to change our clothes in the garage thankful we live in California. And haven't seen our family or friends in at least 3 week's as it's not safe to be around anyone. Everyday is a new challenge we now have to wear masks while working and it's recommend any other time we are around anyone. 

Besides that waiting for our May Alaska cruise to be cancelled😭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buttons71069 said:

My husband and I both work in the grocery stores. So we are both still working full-time plus. Have to change our clothes in the garage thankful we live in California. And haven't seen our family or friends in at least 3 week's as it's not safe to be around anyone. Everyday is a new challenge we now have to wear masks while working and it's recommend any other time we are around anyone. 

Thank you for staying on the job!  

We were in SD November/December and enjoyed a HAL cruise, the Wine and Food Festival, and mandatory stops at El Indio, Mercato and the zoo - seems like a lifetime away now.

We're hunkered down in Tucson at the KOA RV park and things seem more like normal but we're all keeping social distance and SIP - nearby RVers were line dancing in the street this afternoon -- 8 ft apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, buttons71069 said:

So many more people working than just Healthcare ,I was essential for 24 years! Please stay safe and thank you for being there ! We are grateful to all!

• Thanks 1

Here in Nebraska we do not 'yet' have a shelter in place directive, ( although strongly suggested) unless it just happened today.  We are one of the four least affected states, but we realize that the confirmed cases tell little, since so many may be affected but either have few or no symptoms and very few here have actually been tested.

Many counties have no cases yet, mostly out west in cowboy country where there are so few people.  We have counties bigger than some states out there, some with only one small town and wide-spaced ranches.  Five cases in my county.  Many more in Omaha/Lincoln metro areas of course.

All but essential businesses are closed though, and schools are closed for the year.  

We are staying in as much as possible and are well stocked with groceries and other supplies.  Stores do have some empty shelves, mostly cleaning products and tp (have seen some though), but not as bad as some of you are reporting.  As of now we could get by just fine with stock on hand for several weeks.

We are lucky to live on a small lake with 111 acres of property to walk on and only four neighbors, none closer than a block away.  I am outside a lot, when the weather is decent.  It was in the 70's earlier this week, then down to 20 (colder at night) for the last couple of days--but getting better now.  Lots of yard work done!

For me, the self-imposed isolation isn't really than hard, since I often stay home several days at a time and am one of those people content with reading, tv and computer time.  I am getting a lot of deep cleaning done though!  I can't imagine how hard it would be to live in a small apartment, though, and not be able to get out.

I have pretty severe allergies, although well controlled with meds, so it is normal for me to be sniffly and have a cough, especially in the spring, so it is easy to wonder what if?  What if it isn't allergies?  But so far no fever, headache, etc. that would indicate anything else.  Haven't been out since Sunday, but I do have a couple of fabric masks I had bought a couple of years ago when for outside use when my allergies were especially bad, so we will be using them when we do go to the store, etc.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully this all will pass sooner rather than later.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Modesto Ca (Central Valley) and DH lives and works in Mountain View for LinkedIn (Santa Clara county in the Silicon valley). He came to Modesto Thursday night February 27 for his usual WFH (work from home day) Friday the 28th. He did not go back. We decided he would WFH here in Modesto for the duration. By Wednesday March 3 LinkedIn closed all campuses and has everyone WFH now. What is really cool is that they are paying all the non tech working staff during this shutdown.  Janitors, chefs, kitchen staff, baristas and so on. When he left MV they had only 2 cases. Now Santa Clara county has the most (1094) in the 6 Bay Area counties that went on lockdown. 

I planted lettuce, snow peas, cilantro, chives and parsley in January  so have simple fresh herb salads. Have cukes, tomatoes & peppers in the greenhouse germinating. Grapefruits, oranges and lemons are plentiful now in our citrus grove ( only 8 trees) 28 fruit trees have all set their fruit and look like good crops that will start coming off in May. Just need a goat and some chickens lol. 

I’ve been sewing and mailing cloth surgical masks for my SIL (nurse) on the frontlines in NY to use as covers for her N95 that she has to reuse. These are super easy 

I’ve been sewing cloth masks (shaped ones with nose wire and pocket for extra filter material) for my family and friends. Took a while to get the size, shape and wire bit sorted but now I’m pretty quick. The pattern online needed some adjustments.  I’m surprised that so many of my friends don’t have sewing machines and don’t know how to sew. I did not realize what a lost art sewing has become in the 50 and younger crowd.  

Read the Princess Book Club book for my cancelled HA Cruise this past March. Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout and really enjoyed it and the book that came before it. 

I made a 30 minute slideshow of cruise videos that I watch while walking on my treadmill. 

Thrak I really like your explanation of my drinking alone habit. Thanks for the POV and best wishes navigating the new home life. 

I hope everyone figures out ways to make this new normal work for them. 

My family is doing well.  We just returned from Florida.  We were booked on a Princess cruise, but just had to make the best of it at our Florida hotel. After spending 11 days at the hotel, I was reminded of how much we missed cruising.  I hope this crisis is over soon and look forward to the day we can cruise again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelhound said:

My family is doing well.  We just returned from Florida.  We were booked on a Princess cruise, but just had to make the best of it at our Florida hotel. After spending 11 days at the hotel, I was reminded of how much we missed cruising.  I hope this crisis is over soon and look forward to the day we can cruise again.

Yep we canceled our 40th anniversary trip but would rather live so there is that! We can always book later!

Edited by Reader0108598

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I did not realize what a lost art sewing has become in the 50 and younger crowd.   

You might be pleased to know that my friends' young adult sons and their young adult friend who is living with them (his own family kicked him out) are sewing masks like mad. They've made over 500 so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're in California (Orange County) and haven't been away from the house for 19 days.  Was just reading about the Coral Princess which is finally docking in Miami today after being stranded at sea with Corona Virus victims, two of whom have died, when they were denied docking at South American ports. That hits home with us because we were to board that ship in Los Angeles for a Panama Canal cruise on April 21.  The cruise, of course, has been canceled but when we booked it who could have imagined how things would play out? 

Bob

Edited by Norcalcouple
improve phrasing

On 4/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, nini said:

Thank you to CJSKIDS for starting this thread. I have enjoyed getting to know

fellow cruisers on a more personal level. 

Thrak- I am glad your son spoke with you on alternatives for moving "the kids".

And I am jealous that you live near a beautiful campground that is not closed.

We really enjoy our travel trailer trips in Northern California and Hwy. 395.

Washington and Oregon State Parks are closed and I am pretty sure we will 

not be making it to Yellowstone this year.

Take care everyone!

You are very welcome!  Good news or bad, it's very nice to have a place for support. 

And best part, there is not going off topic at all since we are free to talk about anything!  LOL

(Well anything but politics)!!

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

We're being told that we now need to wear a mask whenever we venture out. Considering this one:

image.png.fad4f5972ce6c1766cc99ec5ba0805ee.png

Michael,

just what you will need in coming weeks 

Family...the ties that bind and gag 

Blessings to you and wife and all your family

@Kenosha Cruiser nice to hear from you.  Glad to hear you are well.

@Thrak thanks for the laugh with the mask and the drinking post.  Hope things are going well with your family

@getting older slowly I so agree with you about living in a house.  I have so enjoyed the empty nest situation and living in a high rise (well except during a hurricane) but really wish I wasn't here right now.  I'm fortunate to have balconies so I really shouldn't be complaining

@voljeep instacart is great.  And i love seeing the alcohol service fee on the bill!!

@LoriPhil we said the same thing about wearing a mask into the liquor store LOL

@buttons71069 thank you for continuing to work in the grocery store and helping all of us to continue to get food and items. Please stay safe

@Ferd Berfle love that you were line dancing!

@Reader0108598 thanks for checking back again

@Nebr.cruiser must be amazing to have all of that room.  Hope the allergies keep away.

@HaveDogWillTravel The salads sound amazing.  Would love to have the fresh fruit trees.  I so wish I could sew, it's great you are making masks for family and friends.

@travelhound where we you in Florida?

@MamaFej great to hear about the masks

@NORCAL Couple sorry to hear your cruise was canceled 

Thanks again everyone for keeping in touch. Sorry I only grabbed names from this last page.  My thoughts go out to all of you.  Continued good health to everyone.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched 1917. We had planned to watch it in the theater but that isn't possible so I got it from Amazon. I had a $3 digital credit so it was $2.99 to rent. Good flick. I would have been a good one for the theater but at least we could watch it on the 82" Samsung at home. I freaking love this TV. It makes sheltering in place a bit better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

@Kenosha Cruiser nice to hear from you.  Glad to hear you are well.

@Thrak thanks for the laugh with the mask and the drinking post.  Hope things are going well with your family

@getting older slowly I so agree with you about living in a house.  I have so enjoyed the empty nest situation and living in a high rise (well except during a hurricane) but really wish I wasn't here right now.  I'm fortunate to have balconies so I really shouldn't be complaining

@voljeep instacart is great.  And i love seeing the alcohol service fee on the bill!!

@LoriPhil we said the same thing about wearing a mask into the liquor store LOL

@buttons71069 thank you for continuing to work in the grocery store and helping all of us to continue to get food and items. Please stay safe

@Ferd Berfle love that you were line dancing!

@Reader0108598 thanks for checking back again

@Nebr.cruiser must be amazing to have all of that room.  Hope the allergies keep away.

@HaveDogWillTravel The salads sound amazing.  Would love to have the fresh fruit trees.  I so wish I could sew, it's great you are making masks for family and friends.

@travelhound where we you in Florida?

@MamaFej great to hear about the masks

@NORCAL Couple sorry to hear your cruise was canceled 

Thanks again everyone for keeping in touch. Sorry I only grabbed names from this last page.  My thoughts go out to all of you.  Continued good health to everyone.

We were in Hollywood Florida.  We had planned on spending 4 days there and then sailing on Princess out of Fort Lauderdale.  Unfortunately our cruise was canceled, so we booked another 7 days in Hollywood.  My family really misses cruising and we hope that we are able to sail again soon.

On 3/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

As we are all one big community, we collectively thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on the cruise line forums so our members can have a place to socialize during these times of social distancing or "stay in Place' that we are all doing.  

Cruise Critic is indeed a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another.

Please let's show respect and kindness to each other and please let's keep political comments off of this no matter where we live in this world. Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know personally that it would be wonderful to know how everyone is doing on these boards that I have talked to, met or simply read your post over these 17 years that I have been a member.

Warm regards to every member on this board!

No politics discussions?  Can we still talk about booze and booze smuggling?  How about tipping?   Smoking is always a good subect for discussion.  Always exciting subjects.  We could go for weeks just on those three subjects!