No cruising until a vaccine?

We just got a 2nd drive thru test site. Anyone over 65 (me) and first responders can go to ... only if they have a fever. They said dont take any drugs that will take down your temperature or we will turn you away. 

I dont plan on going back out until our milk turns bad, then a quick in and out at aldi.

The biggest group of new positives are age 18 to 40 ... now if we can just get them to understand what shelter in place means. Newspaper is calling on governor abbot to make it mandatory... other than locking them up what more can he do. No pick up basketball games, officers on walking trails might ticket you if you arent 6 ft away. Guess the governor hasnt made it clear enough for young ones?

Texas too says by april if this not curbed they will run out of hospital beds. If this isnt run its course by the time of my rebooked cruise, bigger problems than my cruise.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We just got a 2nd drive thru test site. Anyone over 65 (me) and first responders can go to ... only if they have a fever. They said dont take any drugs that will take down your temperature or we will turn you away. 

I dont plan on going back out until our milk turns bad, then a quick in and out at aldi.

The biggest group of new positives are age 18 to 40 ... now if we can just get them to understand what shelter in place means. Newspaper is calling on governor abbot to make it mandatory... other than locking them up what more can he do. No pick up basketball games, officers on walking trails might ticket you if you arent 6 ft away. Guess the governor hasnt made it clear enough for young ones?

Texas too says by april if this not curbed they will run out of hospital beds. If this isnt run its course by the time of my rebooked cruise, bigger problems than my cruise.

I live in East Texas and almost 0 is getting done.  Our governor needs to be a leader and make the tough decisions that will flatten the curve.   Our hospital only has about 30 beds.  I am 64 and for the first time in my life I am concerned about how many people really are infected.  We were going on a cruise at the end of May and just waiting for RCCL to do the right thing and cancel the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well once you turn 65 you can drive to dallas, parkland testing drive thru only for their patients, but this other place you dont have to live here to go.

We have been told to shelter in place. I guess I dont see if gov Abbott echoes what the dallas mayor says it will change peoples behaviour.

Myself, I want to see church services shut down. Pray at home, or get a service on tv. I'm tired of hearing how many rules dont apply to them, and it's not just on tv, it's my brother in law too. "God will take care of us" . .well then quit visiting my parents 

Other than being like china or s. Korea, checking credit card slips etc, placing locks on doors, I dont see what the governor can say that would make the young stay home. They think shelter in place doesnt mean them. ...and add in churches. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

How many times have you heard from experts that this can't be done that fast? Except from the president of course

Will say one thing, this is fastest testing of a Vaccine, ever. It is already being tested. Worked at Homeland Security for while, still have friends there... As said on other threads, lets keep Politics out of it. Been on CC over 23yrs and this has always been one few safe places from that...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 4

Why South Korea had so many test-positives however very few deaths compared to Italy?

The answer was mass testing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/south-korea-italy-coronavirus-survivability-sepkowitz/index.html

And now read this article in one city near Venice of 3000 that became a test study of mass testing

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/one-italian-town-is-bucking-the-countrys-coronavirus-curve/12075048

The answer is:

• test EVERYBODY.
  • then a strict quarantine.

North America has done neither. If you superimpose any graph of China, South Korea, Italy and Spain on top of each other with regard to their time lines of first test positives to spiking, they all match. And they all did not believe this would happen to them... just like us. We here in North America are just on the leading edge of those graphs. April/May could be brutal... and like Hobby3333 says above, not that many are heeding the warnings, let alone looking at the actual factual data that has actually occurred, not made up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Why South Korea had so many test-positives however very few deaths compared to Italy?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/south-korea-italy-coronavirus-survivability-sepkowitz/index.html

And now read this article in one city near Venice of 3000 that became a test study of mass testing

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/one-italian-town-is-bucking-the-countrys-coronavirus-curve/12075048

The answer is:

• test EVERYBODY.

North America has done neither. If you superimpose any graph of China, South Korea, Italy and Spain on top of each other with regard to their time lines of first test positives to spiking, they all match. And they all did not believe this would happen to them... just like us. We here in North America are just on the leading edge of those graphs. April/May could be brutal... and like Hobby3333 says above, not that many are heeding the warnings, let alone looking at the actual factual data that has actually occurred, not made up.

Previous test was giving up to 40% false results, this until new designed one used now. Test everyone? Sounds nice but 7 Billion in World or even 340 Million in USA or 39 Million in Canada, have test them every week since can get it by time results show negative...

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Test everyone? Sounds nice but 7 Billion in World or even 340 Million in USA or 39 Million in Canada,

Agreed.... con't be done. Infections are going to happen everywhere.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 220,000 illnesses and more than 9,300 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 

"nothing compared to the flu"? Seriously???

Flu:  36 million / 22,000 deaths = .06% mortality rate   (0.6 out of every 1000 people)

COVID19:  220,000 illnesses / 9,300 deaths = 4.2% mortality rate (42 out of every 1000 people)

Again, direct CDC facts, not fiction.

So let's get 1 million Americans tested... at 4.2% mortality means 42,000 people.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

How many times have you heard from experts that this can't be done that fast? Except from the president of course

...................Not worth it.

Edited by sfaaa

4 hours ago, irzero said:

Flu mutated every year. Not all virus do. If they did no vaccine would work.

Not sure how often corona virus mutates

Mutates a bit slower than the flu, but not much.   There are already a few strains identified from the outbreak,  so fast enough it seems!

And to answer the post question: we'll be waiting for a vaccine!  

Edited by young_ens

Interesting article discussing using existing drugs (already through clinical testing) to treat Covid-19.  Not the same as a vaccine but can potentially reduce the mortality rate and the number of people needing hospital care, for those who are infected:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-drugs-covid-19so-pieces-coronavirus.html

• Like 3

Remember that untested and undertested vaccines can go horribly, horribly wrong--even worse than the diseases they are trying to prevent. A safe and effective vaccine will be developed. My only fear is that panic will drive shortcuts in the testing process--shortcuts that make the cure worse than the disease. Expect to live this way for a while.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bradison said:

Sorry to hear you have been directly impacted and I hope you are dealing with the virus as well as can be expected.  I think you are correct in that we need this thing to spread slowly so the health care implications can be managed effectively.

I am curious why you think 50% of NYC and LA will be infected if they are both under lock down?  Do you think it has already spread enough that those under lock down will give it to each other or do you think folks in those areas are not observing the lock down?

Those of us in lockdown are still allowed to go to the foodstore gas station pharmacy and some neighborhoods still have restaurants with take out/delivery.  So yes it will continue to spread even though we are in lockdown.   We still get daily mail. We still get packages delivered by UPS Amazon and FedEx.   So yes it will continue to spread.  Think about those that live in city center and use elevators hand railings etc in their condos and apartments.   Lock down does not mean we are all locked in our homes for several weeks.  Not yet!

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Those of us in lockdown are still allowed to go to the foodstore gas station pharmacy and some neighborhoods still have restaurants with take out/delivery.  So yes it will continue to spread even though we are in lockdown.   We still get daily mail. We still get packages delivered by UPS Amazon and FedEx.   So yes it will continue to spread.  Think about those that live in city center and use elevators hand railings etc in their condos and apartments.   Lock down does not mean we are all locked in our homes for several weeks.  Not yet!

Thanks for this information.  Are you allowed to actually go to the Post Office?  I have a PO box for my business.

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

And they could possibly fast track a vaccine for later this year, let's be positive, instead of worse case.

How fast tracked would you like it to be? Once something is injected into your body there is no getting it out. They need to get it right. And when dealing with a disease with this amount of awareness, hype, political and economic consequences, I become a bit leary and skeptical.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I heard the head of the task force say he thought with luck November but if some already starting to be testing work out it's even possible to be faster.

Lots of trump haters and negative Nellie's here. Why bring in politics. 

I'm 69 and booked next january. I hope things are better, as I plan on cruising. 

I'm old enough I was there when my parents got the polio vaccine and stamped it out. Yes, I believe in America.

If the virus vaccine isnt here yet, I'll self quarantine but I'm not planning on not going.

My parents are 101 and 93, hence why I would self quarantine after I got home.

We have gotten thru other things, America will get thru this. 

Congrats to your parents for their longevity.  Good health to them and I wish them many more years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Thanks for this information.  Are you allowed to actually go to the Post Office?  I have a PO box for my business.

Yes we are allowed to go to post office.   They want people to try to use self service machines for stamps and packages when possible.  No problem accessing po boxes.

Local ups stores are open too.  Oh and beer stores for those that want corona.

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Congrats to your parents for their longevity.  Good health to them and I wish them many more years.

Thank you. He was air force in WWII and she his wartime bride aged 18, he still is kidded about cradle robbing. They still live alone and I think its 75 years of marriage.

I live 5 minutes away. I'd rather live on the ocean, but they need me to drive. .. so I cruise to see the ocean.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes we are allowed to go to post office.   They want people to try to use self service machines for stamps and packages when possible.  No problem accessing po boxes.

Local ups stores are open too.  Oh and beer stores for those that want corona.

Great, thank you.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

The answer is:

• test EVERYBODY.

VP Pence just said only people with symptoms should be tested.  Not a formula for success.  Glad he tested negative.  Did not realize he had symptoms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

The answer is:

• test EVERYBODY.

The US does not have enough test kits to test “everybody”. We probably still do not even have enough test kits to test everybody with a fever or everybody with a cough....that is why they prioritizing testing testing to seniors and other high risk people. It would be wonderful to have population data, but right now the test kits are needed for acute illness.

Honestly, you probably should not try to South Korea and Italy.  Italy has one of the most aged populations, so a higher death rate might be expected.  But, perhaps more confusing, their government has their doctor’s record cause of death differently than other countries, which will cause Morse deaths to be linked (on paper) to Coronavirus than would happen with other data recording systems...just being in the same hospital as the virus is enough....crazy.

“But Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities. 

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Honestly, you probably should not try to South Korea and Italy.

No problem. Forget about the entire rest of the world. They don't matter anyways 🙄

What is happening in Washington and New York states?

Edited by Hoopster95

26 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

No problem. Forget about the entire rest of the world. They don't matter anyways 🙄

What is happening in Washington and New York states?

Sorry for the typo...that should say....you probably should not compare South Korea and Italy.    The reasons (different demographics and different death recording methods) are noted in the prior post.  I have not forgotten the rest world, or WA, or NY for that matter.  The US death rate is currently at 1.25%, even with our limited testing which may be missing less severe cases; the South Korea death rate is 1.17%.

Edited by Starry Eyes

44 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The US does not have enough test kits to test “everybody”. We probably still do not even have enough test kits to test everybody with a fever or everybody with a cough....that is why they prioritizing testing testing to seniors and other high risk people. It would be wonderful to have population data, but right now the test kits are needed for acute illness.

NY has actually had to stop testing people without serious symptoms not for lack of tests, but because they don’t have enough PPE for the people taking the swabs. Which is insane.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sorry for the typo...that should say....you probably should not compare South Korea and Italy.    The reasons (different demographics and different death recording methods) are noted in the prior post.  I have not forgotten the rest world, or WA, or NY for that matter.  

Thank you for clarifying.. that typo makes a world of difference.