Florida requiring self quarentine

5 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Snowbirds are bad enough when they aren't bringing coronavirus with them

Snowbirds come down in Nov and stay through March or April.  This order is to stop New Yorkers who are trying to flee a hot zone.  

• Like 1

How is Florida going to get them to self quarantine? Are they going to round them up at the airport and send them to a military camp or some other holding station. They couldn't even keep the Spring Break kids off of the beach.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

How is Florida going to get them to self quarantine? Are they going to round them up at the airport and send them to a military camp or some other holding station. They couldn't even keep the Spring Break kids off of the beach.

Actually, that is sort of what RI implemented this morning. All flights into the State are being met by the National Guard, contact information is being taken, and all are being told they are expected to do a 14 day quarantine. Health care workers and some other emergency response workers are exempt.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

There is no reason to flee. Follow the guidelines. Stay at home. Places have delivery, and curb side pickup. There is no reason to go into a store. 

Tell that to the New Yorkers. Plenty of them have fled to their summer homes on the coast and the Cape. 

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It won't.  Self-absorbed Long Island doctor flew down to Palm Beach knowing he had COVID and now neighbors in his community are infected.  Luckily, this has not stopped any of them from going to brunch or nail salons.  

Florida state orders are a joke since there is no enforcement of any of them.  

I guess Florida is still open for business? Here in New York we have catch and release as if criminals are an endangered species. My son works in a midtown back who was robbed by the same person 3 times in a month. Fat chance of anyone being reprimanded for violating quarantine.  The kids and the seniors are the worst. I have to call my father daily at random times just to make sure he is home and not out and about. I want to install a ring doorbell at their house just to monitor when he leaves the house.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Actually, that is sort of what RI implemented this morning. All flights into the State are being met by the National Guard, contact information is being taken, and all are being told they are expected to do a 14 day quarantine. Health care workers and some other emergency response workers are exempt.

Good 

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Right but again its not enforceable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Tell that to the New Yorkers. Plenty of them have fled to their summer homes on the coast and the Cape. 

Governor Cuomo has been saying for sometime now that lockdown has to be a federal mandate. If he shuts down NY people will drive to NJ and CT to shop and the same would be true for their bordering states. I guess he is right since they are flying to Florida.

1 minute ago, rtazz17 said:

Right but again its not enforceable. 

No argument from me on that point. However, the less people comply the tighter regulations are going to become impacting all of us because you know politicians get pissed off when people don't listen to them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Governor Cuomo has been saying for sometime now that lockdown has to be a federal mandate. If he shuts down NY people will drive to NJ and CT to shop and the same would be true for their bordering states. I guess he is right since they are flying to Florida.

Isn't Manhattan the real hot spot? There are only so many way on and off of that island.😆

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Isn't Manhattan the real hot spot? There are only so many way on and off of that island.😆

Yes Manhattan is the hot spot because it has the most population and the most hospitals so by that alone they will have the most cases.  There are too many ways off of that island. Train, bus, car or ferry and now with no traffic it's even easier. Unless they shut down transportation people are free to come and go. 

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I guess Florida is still open for business? Here in New York we have catch and release as if criminals are an endangered species. My son works in a midtown back who was robbed by the same person 3 times in a month. Fat chance of anyone being reprimanded for violating quarantine.  The kids and the seniors are the worst. I have to call my father daily at random times just to make sure he is home and not out and about. I want to install a ring doorbell at their house just to monitor when he leaves the house.  

Florida is open for drive thru business.  Soft close.  some counties have shut down beaches.  It's voluntary to close restaurants and bars, but most are doing so and shifting to drive through pickup.  Grocery stores are open and crowded.  Other retailers are closed or limiting hours.  South Florida hardest hit.  Very few cases in North Florida.  Some in Central Florida.  But many cases are from people out of state getting caught with the virus while traveling.

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I thought New Rochelle was the epicenter in New York.

New Rochelle located in Westchester county NY was the first town to spread it. The lawyer who was first to get Corvid-19 worked in Midtown Manhattan. He infected two people and they infected two people and so no and so on. What you have to realize is that so many people were commuting to Manhattan from Staten Island, Long Island, Upstate NY, Connecticut and New Jersey.  With all of the international travel I am just surprised that the West coast was hit before us. Princess did a number on that coast.

Edited by Iamcruzin

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Florida is open for drive thru business.  Soft close.  some counties have shut down beaches.  It's voluntary to close restaurants and bars, but most are doing so and shifting to drive through pickup.  Grocery stores are open and crowded.  Other retailers are closed or limiting hours.  South Florida hardest hit.  Very few cases in North Florida.  Some in Central Florida.  But many cases are from people out of state getting caught with the virus while traveling.

We are on complete lockdown  The only business open are restaurant take out, supermarkets, and drug stores. All non essential business is closed. In three weeks my wife's golden locks will be 50 shades of gray.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am just surprised that the West coast was hit before us. Princess did a number on that coast

IMO the West Coast was caused by international travel as well, just not European. Seattle was a hot spot before the Princess Ship docked in San Francisco. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MADflyer said:

It has been maddening seeing Florida's "response" to the virus. Those spring breakers partying on Florida beaches will be seen as a very grave mistake in the near future. 

Madrid was being hit much more than the rest of Spain and closed all restaurants and bars and later went on lock-down.  It had to become a national lock-down a few days later. 

One of the main reasons for the National lock-down being implemented was that many of those from Madrid packed up and moved to their coastal homes in Valencia and Andalusia, many bringing the virus with them to the coastal areas from Madrid. 

The other reason was that the local and national governments and the different Spanish states learned from the experiences of the others. A national lock-down proved the only way to go. 

Have you looked at photographs of Texas and California beaches?

1 minute ago, gatour said:

Have you looked at photographs of Texas and California beaches?

How does a nation wide lock up helps? Ok, it wont help the thing to spread faster but it will still spread. I said it earlier in the previous post. I think it would be better if your bodies would create vaccine but itself. I wonder whether people are used as rats in laboratories searching for a vaccine. I am so sure such thing is practiced these days. Its like the only option to speed up the development of the vaccine 

4 hours ago, SilkySal said:

My BIL is renting his house in Florida across the street from ours, and the renters are leaving 2 weeks early to drive back up to their residence in Michigan. They are both retired, so we're not sure why they decided to do that. One would think they would be better off staying where they are in Florida. They will probably have similar restrictions in Michigan I would think.

Our walking club has two snow bird members.  They decided to drive back to Ohio a few weeks early (I think Ohio is in a lock down.)  Their reasoning is to be close to family members who can support them with supplies etc, if needed.

Different folks have different support systems and different thought processes.  Is one decision made by an individual better than a different individual?  Who is to say.  It depends on the individual.

IMO I do not see cruises starting back up on Easter weekend.   The US is only at the beginning stages of this virus based on timelines in other countries.      I am not sure why some states are still allowing people to have gatherings, go to salons, restaurants, etc.    

I live in Bucks County, PA and we have been in shutdown for more than a week.     Personally, we stopped going out to public places 2 + weeks ago since my DH is immuno-compromised being an organ transplant recipient.   We have both been working from home.    Lucky enough we can do that as I feel really bad for those being laid off and loosing their healthcare benefits.    

let's all hope the WHO Solidarity testing that is being done across the globe will help heal those who are sick while they work on a vaccine.   

We will all go on a vacation cruise again - I am sure of it!

• Like 1