The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 12/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Azulann said:

Just finished my morning coffee

Time for a Prosecco then 😁

Just read your post immediately after booking a West Indian Explorer cruise for Feb 2022. Looking forward to seeing more of the islands than we did on the TA where we met you and we will be back on the lovely Viking Sea again.

Have you got anything booked or planned?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Just read your post immediately after booking a West Indian Explorer cruise for Feb 2022.

Fabulous!  No, I have not  booked  a new Viking Cruise yet. I will travel with my sister this time. She is still teaching for one more year. I have my eye on  any cruise that goes to Denmark. Viking  had a great one that went through Keil canal and three ports in Denmark, but  they are not offering it anymore.

The West Indian Explorer  for  Feb 2022  would also be great. I would need to find another friend to go with me. It would be so fun to see you both again on the Viking Sea! I have bookmarked this cruise to  my list.

Cheers! Currently is is cocktail hour in my  neck of the woods. I will have a gin martini now in the  Explorer lounge.  

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

We are on holiday in South Devon (UK) and wondered if one of the resident mariners could explain why virtually all the cruise ships that have been moored off Torquay and Weymouth have gone to sea presumably because of the rough weather and are now circulating in the English Channel. We saw seven off Torquay the other day and now there's just one.

And I'll have a large gin and tonic since I'm here.

11 minutes ago, Dave W 10 said:

We are on holiday in South Devon (UK) and wondered if one of the resident mariners could explain why virtually all the cruise ships that have been moored off Torquay and Weymouth have gone to sea presumably because of the rough weather and are now circulating in the English Channel. We saw seven off Torquay the other day and now there's just one.

And I'll have a large gin and tonic since I'm here.

Just checked the English Channel weather and it is rather snotty. Gusts of up to 45 kts from WSW. Wave height of 12 feet, which will be higher, as the water depth reduces.

As Master, I would not be comfortable anchoring in those conditions and would be safer and more comfortable underway and riding out the storm.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just checked the English Channel weather and it is rather snotty. Gusts of up to 45 kts from WSW. Wave height of 12 feet, which will be higher, as the water depth reduces.

As Master, I would not be comfortable anchoring in those conditions and would be safer and more comfortable underway and riding out the storm.

Thanks for that. I knew someone in here would explain. Didn't realise wave height got higher nearer shore, interesting.

10 minutes ago, Dave W 10 said:

Thanks for that. I knew someone in here would explain. Didn't realise wave height got higher nearer shore, interesting.

Best example is a Tsunami.

As the water depth shoals the waves interact with the bottom, resulting in lower speed and shorter wave length, so the water only has 1 place to go - up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

You remind me of Mrs. Bale, Rocky Hardcastle's housekeeper on "As Time Goes By", she was always citing the wireless reports of the weather in the channel.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As usual I am with Andy.  The English Channel is one of those places on our planet where shoreline, bottom shoaling, currents, and a generally stormy nature combine to be nasty for seafarers.  In nasty conditions a ship is safer at sea in deep water.  When I ran ships I thought of the anchor as good for emergencies, maneuvering a single screw ship, or stopping for a swim in some beautiful lagoon like Bora-Bora.  Only managed the Bora-Bora thing on cruise ships. 🍸

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dave W 10 said:

The water builds up as it comes against something solid, especially if it's a rocky cliff and not something like a broad sandy beach. Of course that's me thinking of the physics of it. True mariners on this thread are the authority tho. 

I was thinking of tidal waves too but wasn't sure of the physical factors involved. Thanks @Heidi13!

Edited by CharTrav

40 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

The water builds up as it comes against something solid, especially if it's a rocky cliff and not something like a broad sandy beach. Of course that's me thinking of the physics of it. True mariners on this thread are the authority tho. 

Correct. When I commanded one of the large high speed ferries, we dragged a significant wave behind us, that in open water was only a couple of feet. When we reduced to below 20 kts, the wave continued on our heading at the moment we came off the plane.

If the wave hit a cliff, everything went straight up, but if it landed on a beach, the water disappeared and was shortly followed by a massive wave. Beach goers didn't appreciate the deluge, so to maintain the career prospects, we aimed for a rocky shore before slowing down.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw -- if you're interested - happened to notice today that Star's schedule has been updated -- she is now scheduled through February 2023. I've updated my schedule spreadsheet and announced it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/

Have read elsewhere that Venus seems to be entering her sea trials.   Good news for us given our plans to do "Into the Midnight Sun" next July on her assuming, of course, conditions are right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

It is so nice to hear all these voices discussing cruises, sea conditions, and future plans, not terror, disease, and politics.  Explorer's Loungis for fun and hearing y'all is fun..🍹

I think that the alcohol  intake in the Explorer's Lounge might be helping with the happy and optimistic thoughts 😉🍷

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, Azulann said:

The West Indian Explorer  for  Feb 2022  would also be great

It would be great to reunite with shipmates as well as the ship so if you do happen to be in San Juan on Feb 15th..........

There you go Jim, another positive post to add to the fun round here 👍 🍷😁 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Shove over Photopro and Andy.  I need a pint or two after spending with Viking.  Good thing drinks are "free" on the WC. 🍺

Drinks are "free" on the WC????

OMG!!!! Where do I sign up😁🥂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Drinks are "free" on the WC????

OMG!!!! Where do I sign up😁🥂

LOL at ‘free’.  I just put a deposit on the booze tab today. 😉. It was not insignificant.

DH wants to know if he can request they have his single malts on the world cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

LOL at ‘free’.  I just put a deposit on the booze tab today. 😉. It was not insignificant.

DH wants to know if he can request they have his single malts on the world cruise.

Torshavn has a good selection of single malts

22 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

well, 'free" is a relative term these days.  I prefer to say included in the price. Aa Andy said, Torshavn has some nice and unusual ( for non Europeans) single malts that are within the $15 limit . However, it wouldn't be a bad thing to ask if they could get some of your favorite. I am a firm believer in " you don't ask, you don't get " !  Which are his preferred single malts ?

3 hours ago, vslparis said:

well, 'free" is a relative term these days.  I prefer to say included in the price. Aa Andy said, Torshavn has some nice and unusual ( for non Europeans) single malts that are within the $15 limit . However, it wouldn't be a bad thing to ask if they could get some of your favorite. I am a firm believer in " you don't ask, you don't get " !  Which are his preferred single malts ?

When the World Cruise Desk opens and they request your preferences, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for a specific single malt.