The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 11/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, photopro2 said:

I am not a great one for dramas generally but did enjoy Downton. I think that show has something in common with the atmosphere on Viking . The mutual respect that is portrayed between "upstairs" and "downstairs"  rather matches the relationship between guests and crew on the ships. Do you agree? 

Don't tell anyone but my DW and I dressed for dinner (Bowtie, tux for me sparkly evening gown for her) just to watch the Downton Abbey movie on dvd not so long ago. The things we get up to in lockdown!  🙄

I love Downton Abby. I have watched the complete ( all six seasons) atleast six times. I have seem the movie twice. The beauty and elegance of the show appealed to me. I have actually set foot in Highclere, I also went to New York to visit the set and costumes from Downton Abby. Last year during a bad winter storm, I binge watched the series over a weekend. 

The history of Great Britian has always grabbed my imagination. I have dear friends that live in the English country side. I don't talk much when I visit, I rather listen to others. 

I do agree with you regarding the atmosphere on Viking. The ships are serene and peaceful and beautiful. Can't wait to get back onboard. Hope you had a great Thanks giving.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:50 PM, vslparis said:

I saw that there is to be a Mexican themed dinner in Aquavit so I just ordered my Valarita  ( my version of a Margarita with 2 shots of tequila, 1 shot of triple sec, freshly squeezed 1/2  lime  and a small shot of Grand Marnier on top,no salt )  here in the Explorer's Lounge to get in the mood . Can I get one for anyone else ?

aroo

Valerie

Yes! I will have a Valarita. I may have to return to my stateroom when I finish my Valarita.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, TayanaLorna said:

I stopped by this morning and no one was around.  I am an early riser normally and live in Atlantic time so you all were still snoozing.  I had a coffee while watching a lovely sunrise at sea.  It's now 5:30 pm and no matter your time zone, it IS 5 o'clock somewhere - here.  So I raise my glass (Proseco) to a happy, safe and healthy holiday week.  

Add a little orange juice to that Proseco and you have my favorite breakfast drink. I bring my own bottle of Proseco onboard and order fresh orange juice, Quiche, Mimosa and coffee a great way to start the day, oh! fresh fruit on the side. Breakfast on the veranda, Irish coffee in the lounge. See ya'll soon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deec said:

Ruthie....I don't remember seeing quiche on the breakfast menu....is there a secret way of ordering?

There were small quiches on the menu when we sailed Cities of Antiquity in 2015 on the Star, if I remember correctly. I may be thinking of River. At some point cruies start running together. In the virtual lounge you may order what ever you like. 

Another Irish coffee, please.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, CCWineLover said:

We’ll join you once we pick you up in Barcelona a year from tomorrow!  (The 29th) 😎

Not only will we be welcomed by Viking staff, we'll have our own roll call friends to greet us!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, vslparis said:

I agree, that sugary citrus mixer is nasty . It is quick and easy for a busy bartender, especially if they are making a frozen margarita.  I have noticed on some menus a “skinny margarita” which claims to be made with just the above ingredients.  That tells me that not only is the mixer  nasty, but full of calories.  Using the lime juice saves calories so that you can have a second one 😉

I was always impressed by the bartenders on Viking.  They make cocktails from scratch.  Watching them make a Mojito, muddling the mint and sugar and producing a beautiful drink.  My fave Bloody Mary guy also made them from scratch for me.  I could have tomato juice, Clamato juice, or my favorite V-8 juice.  I got to choose "dressings" as well.  Olives, the traditional celery stick, cocktail onions.  No bacon strips though.  Bummer....🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I was always impressed by the bartenders on Viking.  They make cocktails from scratch.  Watching them make a Mojito, muddling the mint and sugar and producing a beautiful drink.  My fave Bloody Mary guy also made them from scratch for me.  I could have tomato juice, Clamato juice, or my favorite V-8 juice.  I got to choose "dressings" as well.  Olives, the traditional celery stick, cocktail onions.  No bacon strips though.  Bummer....🍸

After all that China stuff, I think a refreshment is called for. I'll start with an IPA, before switching to a Bloody Mary. Almost lunch time, so I'll enjoy the refreshment with a roast beef sarny from Mamsens.🙂😀

• Like 2

Feeling like an infusion of Viking Memories?  Watch yesterday's VIKING TV presentation by Captain Atle Knutsen and friends...tours of bridge, galley and engine rooms ....Those of you from the Inaugural World Cruise will recognize some faces and appreciate hearing from our Designated Driver and Laura!!!   The short feature about Norwegian Heritage that ends presentation was Great I learned things about the ship's decor that I never knew or had forgotten.  The video is quite long so it will best be viewed in segments accompanied by various beverages up here in our VIRTUAL Explorer's Lounge!

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the video too. Loved Captain Atle’s sweater!  We had Captain Olaf for half of our 2019 WC so it was fun to walk through the bridge with him.  With the Sun gone, he and Captain Lars  have apparently been reassigned to the Viking Star, and will apparently do the 2021-22 WC.  He describes its itinerary in the video while he is at the navigation table.  (He’s a little hard to understand sometimes).  We have two cruises on the Star in the last quarter of 2021, so guess we will see our captains again.  And we have our same Cabin!  I just can’t wait to get the vaccine and get cruising again!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

FYI,

Viking.just moved no cruising to March 31, 2021 plus some other cruises in later dates.

we got email that our cruise Barcelona-Istanbul (May 30th, 2021) has been cancelled.

Respectfully...Huh? I'm not seeing that on updates for current sailings on the VO site. Maybe it'll get posted tomorrow.? Also your post is confusing - are you saying that the suspension has been extended to May 31? Which would be consistent with the cancellation of your May 30 cruise. Guess I'll have to check the site tomorrow. And sorry for you btw. 

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

Respectfully...Huh? I'm not seeing that on updates for current sailings on the VO site. Maybe it'll get posted tomorrow.? Also your post is confusing - are you saying that the suspension has been extended to May 31? Which would be consistent with the cancellation of your May 30 cruise. Guess I'll have to check the site tomorrow. And sorry for you btw. 

" ----- plus some other cruises in later dates."

27 minutes ago, duquephart said:

" ----- plus some other cruises in later dates."

Yeah - I caught that. Which is why I'll check the schedule tomorrow. Could be (probably is) that affected passengers are informed of changes before the public. Given the news about covid vaccinations what @vnb2003might make sense. 

Edited by CharTrav

6 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Yeah - I caught that. Which is why I'll check the schedule tomorrow. Could be (probably is) that affected passengers are informed of changes before the public. Given the news about covid vaccinations what @vnb2003might make sense. 

Sorry for the confusion.  Here it goes:

Because we are a private, closely-held company, we do not have to rush the decision to return to service. As our Chairman has said before, we will only sail again when it is safe for our guests, our crew, and the communities we visit. It is in that spirit that we are extending our temporary fleetwide suspension of scheduled departures through March 31, 2021. For several itineraries, we are also cancelling additional sailings further into 2021.

We are contacting you today because you are currently booked on Mediterranean's Iconic Shores on board VIKING SKY, which has been included in these cancellations. 

2 minutes ago, LunaSeaRetreat said:

Wow!  Thanks for the clarification.  I'm scheduled to cruise in February and have heard nothing. I was expecting this news but not until next week.

Cynthia 

Sorry.  We thought that by the end of May we will be Ok  :(

1 hour ago, vnb2003 said:

Sorry for the confusion.  Here it goes:

Because we are a private, closely-held company, we do not have to rush the decision to return to service. As our Chairman has said before, we will only sail again when it is safe for our guests, our crew, and the communities we visit. It is in that spirit that we are extending our temporary fleetwide suspension of scheduled departures through March 31, 2021. For several itineraries, we are also cancelling additional sailings further into 2021.

We are contacting you today because you are currently booked on Mediterranean's Iconic Shores on board VIKING SKY, which has been included in these cancellations. 

Thanks much! Looks like I need to review the schedule again. I did in fact review the entire schedule through 2023 last week and, as of last week, that cruise was still scheduled. Thanks again for the heads up. 

18 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Thanks much! Looks like I need to review the schedule again. I did in fact review the entire schedule through 2023 last week and, as of last week, that cruise was still scheduled. Thanks again for the heads up. 

Of course!!  Sorry again for the confusion. 

This is interesting, as a couple of days ago, DW read on Facebook that Viking had shut down till at least end Mar/21. I checked the website and Viking TV, but no updates.

At the end of the Viking TV program on Monday, the Captain read a prepared statement, saying another update will be issued shortly, so possibly next week.

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

At the end of the Viking TV program on Monday, the Captain read a prepared statement, saying another update will be issued shortly, so possibly next week.

So....as I said....the affected passengers are informed first, the rest of the public later. Makes sense. 

• Like 1