Will self-serve be gone from the buffet due to virus experience?

58 minutes ago, bearette said:

Maybe in the gbeginning, but too many people, so $$$, required. This will only happen as needed on noro - or similiar infected cruises.

Yes, more staff = more $$$. Cruisers on RCL won't pay for that. RC won't provide for free, especially now as there will be a lot more cost cutting imho in the near future to pay for the massive loan they now have incurred.

Any of you here ever tried Oceania (or other higher end cruise line)? Buffet is served to you, all times of the day, every day.

Superb system. It should be mandated on all cruise lines as a law. 

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yes, more staff = more $$$. Cruisers on RCL won't pay for that. RC won't provide for free, especially now as there will be a lot more cost cutting imho in the near future to pay for the massive loan they now have incurred.

Any of you here ever tried Oceania (or other higher end cruise line)? Buffet is served to you, all times of the day, every day.

Superb system. It should be mandated on all cruise lines as a law. 

on holland smaller ships we have had buffet served the majority of the time, no biggy iggy

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think they will be...I expect more a "food court" concept to replace the buffet concept...and for there to be a stronger emphasis on seated dining again...

That is not a bad concept at all.  Various stations where you could get order things like a sandwich, salad, or daily grill item.  I would be a fan of this and the food would be more fresh to boot.

• Like 3

There are so many other less crowded options especially on Royal Caribbean cruises. On a 9 day Anthem cruise I only at in WJ for breakfast once I didn't enjoy it so we ate in the MDR the rest of the trip.  I tried a hamburger for lunch once and that was the end of of that. The lunch offerings are too heavy for what I like to eat at that time of day. We just grabbed some fruit and cheese to eat on our balcony late afternoon with our cocktails.  I wouldn't even consider WJ for dinner. I'm happy others enjoy it as if everyone wanted to eat in the MDR we would never be seated.

There are two answers to this post that are relevant.

1) in the short term YES, food will be served by the staff.

2) We have a terrible long term memory. It will only last a few months.

It like passing a horrible accident on the highway.  As you approach we slow down, have a look and for the 1st mile or so we are holding the wheel at 10 & 2. But once the flashing emergency vehicle lights are no longer in the rear view mirror.  Its back to one hand on the wheel and the other changing the radio.  We forget quickly about danger. 

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are so many other less crowded options especially on Royal Caribbean cruises. On a 9 day Anthem cruise I only at in WJ for breakfast once I didn't enjoy it so we ate in the MDR the rest of the trip.  I tried a hamburger for lunch once and that was the end of of that. The lunch offerings are too heavy for what I like to eat at that time of day. We just grabbed some fruit and cheese to eat on our balcony late afternoon with our cocktails.  I wouldn't even consider WJ for dinner. I'm happy others enjoy it as if everyone wanted to eat in the MDR we would never be seated.

Just as those of us who use the Windjammer are happy others prefer the MDR or we would never find seats.😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Same for dinner.  Our family really enjoys the MDR for dinner...including our kids.  It's part of the cruise experience for us.

DH and I love the MDR for breakfast but our kids favorite is the buffet.  So many options for them and they don't like sitting at breakfast time.  So when things resume, we will have a hard time not going to WJ (or Solarium buffet) , but will have to be extra careful in taking food and then washing our hands again prior to eating.

If you go to Park Cafe and Wipe out Cafe, the Dog House, etc.....it is a "buffet" with servers.  Would love to see the WJ with this concept, ...IMHO less contamination...less waste (no more "Mount food plate").  Too much for the servers?...then perhaps scale back the massive choices?  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So the people who do enjoy the Windjammer can do without because it is of no use to you.🙄 No one is forcing you to eat in there. I have no use for the MDR but I respect that other people do.

CB won't be back to read your comment but I approve.

And IMO, the food won't be served to guests weekly going forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Same for dinner.  Our family really enjoys the MDR for dinner...including our kids.  It's part of the cruise experience for us.

DH and I love the MDR for breakfast but our kids favorite is the buffet.  So many options for them and they don't like sitting at breakfast time.  So when things resume, we will have a hard time not going to WJ (or Solarium buffet) , but will have to be extra careful in taking food and then washing our hands again prior to eating.

I found the Solarium buffet to be safer if you are one of the first one's in and it really doesn't get crazy like wind jammer because off the limited choices.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pokerguy90 said:

There are two answers to this post that are relevant.

1) in the short term YES, food will be served by the staff.

2) We have a terrible long term memory. It will only last a few months.

This.  I've become a fan of the WJ for dinner.  We usually use the MDR but if we're in a hurry or don't want to get "dressed" for the MDR (whatever that means), we use the WJ.  Dinner food options are often good and I would not want to see it reduced to a food court with fast food options.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

If you go to Park Cafe and Wipe out Cafe, the Dog House, etc.....it is a "buffet" with servers.  Would love to see the WJ with this concept, ...IMHO less contamination...less waste (no more "Mount food plate").  Too much for the servers?...then perhaps scale back the massive choices?  

Less waste and waist if they serve and limit portion size by serving the food as opposed to pile a mile high by the passenger.

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Less waste and waist if they serve and limit portion size by serving the food as opposed to pile a mile high by the passenger.

There was an interesting Mongolian Barbeque restaurant near me that went out of business many years ago.  It was all you could eat but they charged a flat fee PLUS a fee for the weight of the food left on your plate.  Definitely encouraged guests to take smaller portions and go back for refills if needed.  As I said, they went out of business.  And this would obviously never work at the WJ.

• Like 1

The only thing that will make it safe eating at Windjammer is staff serving the food something that would not be needed if people would follow basic hygiene protocols to prevent them and others from getting sick. However since this also is a dream and out of cost reasons we will not be able to see staff used to permanently serve food we will have many more Noro outbreaks, Influenza and other virus outbreaks on cruise ships. The only way to prevent it would be each one of us to just wash their hands properly all the time and take care of their personal hygine, so easy yet impossible for most of us to stick too.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I agree about the number of choices - many look very much alike with meat in sauce or  gravy.   I always avoid those . The craving station or maybe two with different choice is more appealing and a safer option with a staff server.

• Like 1

I've been on a few cruises where the buffet had the food served by the staff and while it took longer, it wasn't an unreasonable wait time.    It definitely works better on ships that have the buffet set up as stations vs. the long cafeteria style line.

Cruiselines may not have a choice.  There is a lot of negative press surrounding the cruise industry right now and if they want to change the image of a cruise being a "floating petri dish" they will need to do everything in their power to avoid having an outbreak onboard.   

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I found the Solarium buffet to be safer if you are one of the first one's in and it really doesn't get crazy like wind jammer because off the limited choices.

That is actually where I saw one of the most disgusting actions. This kid was near the desserts, picked one out, put it to his nose to smell it, then put it back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

A rule to be implemented in general, children up to age 9 or so cannot take anything from the buffet themselves, they will need to have a adult serving them.

...and guess where a lot of those kids leaned their bad habits/hygiene. This thread alone is evidence of that. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, squadron said:

I agree about the number of choices - many look very much alike with meat in sauce or  gravy.   I always avoid those . The craving station or maybe two with different choice is more appealing and a safer option with a staff server.

Agree....maybe less choices and concentrate on higher quality?  IMHO...  😉 

32 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

A rule to be implemented in general, children up to age 9 or so cannot take anything from the buffet themselves, they will need to have a adult serving them.

You see the little darlings in the SL, CL, or DL  happy-tiser buffet.  😮 

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

You see the little darlings in the SL, CL, or DL  happy-tiser buffet.  😮 

Good catch my DS friend. I forgot all about the small buffet set up in the lounges in the evening. Man I need my cruise fix.