When will you cruise again?

bostonfred

57 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Well- so nice to meet you! Hopefully when there is some hope with coronavirus one of us can start a roll call 🙂  I'm only booked for the 18 day Papeete-SF on April 4. Have done Oceania and Tahiti many times- also did Oceania Sirena, Papeete-SF three years ago. Let's hope to heaven about COVID-19 and keep fingers crossed for our cruise. You're going to LOVE O!

You and I have "talked" on the Oceania board. You and others have been helpful as I have striven to learn about the line. Thank you.

I misspoke (mis-typed?) earlier. We are on the April 4, 2021 cruise with you and the one before, not after.The previous cruise is a 10 day RT Papeete around Tahiti, commencing on my birthday (yay!). That one is due to follow three weeks in New Zealand, following a month of cruising in Australia, New Zealand, and some of the islands of the South Pacific. 

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

After 25 cruises i think i am done.  We sailed march 8th and it was our worse one to date.  Fearing what was unfolding as i checked the news daily. Worrying we would possibly be denied getting off the ship. So many on our cruise had spent time in New Orleans before the trip.

what sorta hit me was while in Roatán we watched from our balcony as an ambulance picked up one of our passengers. I thought to myself i never want to be in a hospital in any of the places we go. Call me stupid for thinking or worrying about this but i am not interested in that at all. Then we hear about  security guard with a face mask on outside a cabin. I saw with my own eyes crew in O’Sheehan’s and Moderno cough in their hand and continue on. We walked out of Moderno for this reason.

maybe i will rethink cruising but i think i will just be happy to do trips in the good ole USA from here on out.

Well 25 cruises is a lot maybe time to do something different. To be fair though I think anytime around that time was not a great time to travel.  My wife was coming back from Asia around that time and had to transit through South Korea (10 hour layover), she was freaked out as at that time South Korea was spiking in cases and she was worried she would catch it and maybe they would not let her back into the country (ie close the borders).

Sadly what you describe is pretty much common place. Don't think the restaurants you go to at home have staff that practice great hand washing techniques or practice general good health.

Heck your not even safe in grocery stores, I seen so many times little kids going to bulk bins taking out candy putting it in their mouths and putting it back while the parents watch, heck even when this virus starting up in my city I saw a mother give an apple in the grocery store, the little kid puts it to their mouth and then the mother puts it back.........

I worked in companies were some of the higher ups came to our office, and I happen to be in the bathroom at the same time and they go in and pee and walk out without washing there hands and go shake 10 peoples hands as they are walking into a meeting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waquoit said:

Maybe a river cruise.

For all the sences and true relaxation consider a French Barge Hotel Cruise, and forget the usual brands with mega ships plying their trade on polluted main French rivers.

10 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

By who’s standard deemed safe.  NCL said it was safe to sail on our March 8th cruise yet while we were gone they declared a pandemic.

Hard to say.  It will have to be up to each individual and their personal circumstances.  I didn't know how grateful I was to not have any underlying health conditions until this pandemic.  For us, safe is when the CDC or other trusted health officials say the virus is under control and the world has opened up again.  For others, it's not until there's a vaccine, and for some, the answer is never.  My "deemed safe" threshold is likely different from the next person's.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Logically, in the immediate future many people will catch a (hopefully mild or asymptomatic!) case of this, fully recover and (probably) be immune afterwards.  If you should turn out to be in that group then you can no longer either catch it or spread it.  Logically,  people in the "recovered/immune" group would have no reason not to travel or go on a cruise.

Is there any science behind this?  I am not aware of any "immunity" claims as of yet.  Would you mind sharing your source?  Thank you!

12 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

After 25 cruises i think i am done.  We sailed march 8th and it was our worse one to date.  Fearing what was unfolding as i checked the news daily. Worrying we would possibly be denied getting off the ship. So many on our cruise had spent time in New Orleans before the trip.

what sorta hit me was while in Roatán we watched from our balcony as an ambulance picked up one of our passengers. I thought to myself i never want to be in a hospital in any of the places we go. Call me stupid for thinking or worrying about this but i am not interested in that at all. Then we hear about  security guard with a face mask on outside a cabin. I saw with my own eyes crew in O’Sheehan’s and Moderno cough in their hand and continue on. We walked out of Moderno for this reason.

maybe i will rethink cruising but i think i will just be happy to do trips in the good ole USA from here on out.

I was on the same cruise as you and have the complete opposite reaction.  It was our best cruise yet and we are itching to get on another one.  

5 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I was on the same cruise as you and have the complete opposite reaction.  It was our best cruise yet and we are itching to get on another one.  

Maybe you are like my husband was. 9 times out of 10 i had to point things out to him.Example the man sitting next to me in habichi could not catch a breath from coughing madly in his hand. My husband is one to strike up conversations.  So i told him shut up and sit to your left.  The man had to get up and go settle his productive cough out of the restaurant. Man in Starbucks coughing madly, not covering at all.the guy on the ferry hacking into open air next to me. Ok you get it. More examples but the only time my husband saw a think was after i pointed out the waitress in Moderno before it opened.  Then when i said oh my she is our waitress, he watched as she nearly choked coughing. So yes many people that didnt pay attention or didnt see this was having fun. Also i will say watching the numbers in New Orleans go up daily didnt help.

well scratch your itch.lol this virus wasn’t my only reason to leave cruising. 

14 hours ago, dreamr said:

We were supposed to be on the Escape right now ( 😢 ), so we have been looking into using our FCC to book a replacement. I know NCL was generous enough to give us until 2022 to use it, but the airline is not being as generous. Therefore, we have to travel by the end of the year or we lose our airfare. My sister waited too long to book theirs and paid double what she normally would have, so she definitely doesn't want to forfeit that much money. Because of the airfare issue, we are booking the Breakaway for November 29, 2020. I'm hoping things are better by then...

Supposed to be on the Escape right now also! Used my FCC towards an Alaskan cruise on Encore next year.

Probably never. We have been steadily cruising since the 1980's and each one

was more fun than the last. However the last two were very unenjoyable due to various reasons.

Lack of table manners, loud obnoxious drunk behavior, kids running amok. Also

relaxed attitudes about courtesy, locals not wanting passengers there for the most part, etc.

I have to say that this is not just in cruising. Just travel in general. We did a road trip to the

Grand Canyon and the tour groups totally took over the park and acted in a very rude way.

I think we will do smaller closer to home trips by car so we are able to be flexible if things

turn unpleasant. I wish people would be cognizant of the effect they have on others when they

are on vacation. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Maybe you are like my husband was. 9 times out of 10 i had to point things out to him.Example the man sitting next to me in habichi could not catch a breath from coughing madly in his hand. My husband is one to strike up conversations.  So i told him shut up and sit to your left.  The man had to get up and go settle his productive cough out of the restaurant. Man in Starbucks coughing madly, not covering at all.the guy on the ferry hacking into open air next to me. Ok you get it. More examples but the only time my husband saw a think was after i pointed out the waitress in Moderno before it opened.  Then when i said oh my she is our waitress, he watched as she nearly choked coughing. So yes many people that didnt pay attention or didnt see this was having fun. Also i will say watching the numbers in New Orleans go up daily didnt help.

well scratch your itch.lol this virus wasn’t my only reason to leave cruising. 

People are going to cough without the virus.  I choked on my water in Moderno and had a coughing fit that I walked to the bathroom to take care of.  Does that mean I had Covid and I passed it to others?  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of a Xmas cruise but right now the price on Escape is pretty high.  50% higher than we paid for the Thanksgiving 2 years ago.  I thought they would have better deals, i guess I need to wait and see what happens.  

2 minutes ago, jcollin said:

I'm thinking of a Xmas cruise but right now the price on Escape is pretty high.  50% higher than we paid for the Thanksgiving 2 years ago.  I thought they would have better deals, i guess I need to wait and see what happens.  

Carnival is the only line that I have seen discount sailings so far.  They are offering past guests $500 OBC per stateroom if they book right now on top of lower rates.  Really want to book the Liberty OTS but prices are still about $3k for a inside for 4.  I can get an inside on the Vista for about $1600 plus $500 OBC.  

Edited by Liljo22

We have a B2B in September on the Encore but I think we may cancel it. Final payment isn't due until July but seeing how ports are refusing to let these ships dock is very disconcerting to me. I never want to be in that situation. 

I've found some good deals but it's mostly due to my 20% additional discount due to having a cruise cancelled. I've been doing a lot of cancelling and rebooking to take advantage of it. I just rebooked a 4 day Bahama cruise in a studio for half the price my balcony cabin was. I figure if I'm cruising in January, I will be happy enough and don't need the balcony. :classic_biggrin: Also, the remainder of my FCC will cover the cost.

14 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

what sorta hit me was while in Roatán we watched from our balcony as an ambulance picked up one of our passengers. I thought to myself i never want to be in a hospital in any of the places we go. 

Yeah Ditto, in the fall we were off traveling in the south pacific, I think our next port was Vanuatu, my wife got sick we were afraid they might kick off off the ship and have to deal with less medical expertise than we would have on board.  Now with all this?  I love cruising  54 days, 5 cruises since oct 12 but now i just dont know 

13 hours ago, Level six said:

It will be a long time for me.  I have cruised over 30 times and it has been our travel choice for the last 6 years since we retired( cruised over 400 days in that time), but  I might be done now.  We are pretty young, 50"s, and healthy, but I am thinking I don't like what I have seen recently.  I only cruise for the ports, so missing ports would be a no go for me.  

Luckily we had a spectacular farewell cruise on the Jewel in November 2019, 30 day South Pacific, best yet....and the first time on a cruise neither of us got sick!!!   At least we went out with a bang!!  

Cheers and happy sailing to everyone!!

we were on that cruise, great way to go out if it our last one

• Like 1