Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I make a milkshake almost every night.  Last night we were low on milk so I made a coke float.  There is a local coffee shop that makes the best milkshakes using Ghirardelli chocolate.  Soooo good.

My favorite is chocolate too but I prefer it made with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

When I was young I frequently visited a local shop that used to make a special milkshake for me.  I would order a strawberry and banana milkshake mix together.  After awhile others started trying it.  It became a menu item and they called it a strawbana milkshake. 😋 

When I was a teenager I would go every Sunday night to an Ice Cream Parlor called Admiration for an Ice Cream Soda.It cost 25 cents and it was delicious.

I lived around a corner from an ice cream factory.On Friday afternoons when they were getting ready to close for the weekend kids were on line for free ice cream.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Hopefully I go home Saturday. My daughter what I’ll want to eat. 
I told her shrimp egg foo young. My favorite comfort food. 

In 1956 my mother was a patient at Memorial Hospital in Manhattan.Family members could go to the restaurant in the hospital for a free complete meal.One of the things that I enjoyed was egg foo young.

There is a caterer in my area now.Since the pandemic began he has been selling food to the people in the area every Friday,different cuisine every week.Last year we were ordering every week.On Chinese night I ordered egg foo young .

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I don't think Viking would be our cup of tea, although to be fair, I haven't really looked into them. 

Oops...I think I may have quoted and replied to the wrong person about Viking. So easy to do here. 

Another thing people might like about them is that all the ocean ships are built to the exact same specifications, so no need to explore and learn a new layout when crusing on different-sized ships. If you know one Viking ocean ship, you know them all. 

• Like 2

I have to confess that when I board a ship one of the first things I head to is the ice cream machine.  Wasn’t as fun this time with the crew fixing them for you but I still enjoyed.  I am now envisioning people on deck trying to handle the ice cream melting all over. 😆 

Ice cream is my only snack on a ship.I almost always go to the fitness center in the afternoon on sea days.

54 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Happy Veterans Day, Mark!  I was a baton twirler in the PAL (Police Athletic League) when I was pretty young.  My brother played the drums, and my older sister played the Glockenspiel.  It was great fun marching!

I love cruising on Celebrity, the Silhouette and Equinox are beautiful ships.  Great crew, and great food (IMO).  We've been on the Silhouette for a couple of cruises;  in fact, our last cruise was on the Silly back in 2019.  We'll be on her again this coming February.

Happy Veterans Day, George, and thank you for your Service!  Jim's gotten free dinners when we're in Florida.  I didn't really see anything about free meals here in NJ where we live.

Thank God your surgery is finally over, Mimi!!!  You've been in my prayers and will continue to be.  I know what you mean about those visits during the night.  2 years ago, they thought I was having a stroke, and the bloodwork and heparin shots seemed never-ending!  Luckily, it wasn't a stroke.

Praying for all good news with your pathology results.🙏🤞🥰

I love your great sense of humor, Arzeena!

I was a PAL member.I still have my badge that I got at the 71 pct.in Brooklyn many,many years ago.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We are on the Silhouette March 28. ABC and Cartagena. Just saying.😉

Actually, I was looking at that same itinerary for the 7th.   Also looking at the Edge and Apex sailings.

We liked pour Odyssey sailing to A and C, and they have one in March also.  Odyssey is so expensive then, that the Silhouette was ending up less on a per day basis, plus we would get 3 extra days.

Cartagena can be brutally hot then.  Although we were there in April one year, I remember the “feels like” temperature was 120°.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I made it through my surgery. 
It hurts to cough or even move, and they’re going to make me get up and sit in a chair.

I was visited by vampires and ghosts of past, present or future all night. So now I’m really sleepy and still they come! I feel like poor Scrooge. Typical hospital torture!

Breakfast was Jello and apple juice. In tiny cups. I won’t drink the broth till they make me! I’ve nothing but liquids since Monday at 5:30 pm. Here it is Thursday!

Won’t know anything till pathology results tomorrow or next week. 

Very happy that part is over with and you can begin to heal. Wishing good news on the pathology report.

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It does seem ike a very nice hotel on a beautiful property.  We haven’t looked inside but would like to take a peek next time.  My husband really liked the Hawaii Army Museum there when he visited it.  There’s also Fort Debussy Beach Park next to it, too.

714542E5-C4AA-4F74-8066-4F8F31EE2892.thumb.jpeg.b126ae7c603c85065da02cbcd0a8c9fc.jpeg

Our hotel was The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations which is right next door about a few yards from Hale Koa.

Definitely take a look inside. The check in area is all open so you get the nice breeze coming in off the ocean. Very interesting how it was built.

53 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

HAPPY VETERANS DAY TO ALL OF OUR VETERANS ON DANI'S THREAD

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!  GOD BLESS YOU!!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

+1

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't think Viking would be our cup of tea, although to be fair, I haven't really looked into them.  We like Royal because of the variety of activities and entertainment.  I know some of you follow Tony from La Lido Loca and he summarized it well in a recent video.  His favorite class of ship across all cruise lines is Oasis class, but he has never used the flow rider, the zip line, the rock wall, and I think he also included a water slide.  He likes Oasis class for the entertainment...the Broadway shows, Aquatheater, comedy club, etc.  We are the same.  We like the "energy" on an Oasis class ship, even if we don't use all of the amenities ourselves.  I don't think I'd like a higher end cruise line just because it has really good food and service.  We need to do more than just sit around, relax, and look at the ocean.  I can do that at home.  I should probably check out Viking, Seabourn, Azamara, etc. in more detail before making assumptions about the experience.

The Celebrity Edge class seems to be a little more like Royal with "bells and whistles" while also being a little more upscale with food and service.  And the Retreat area looks very nice.

Edge entertainment was really good ( not equal to oasis but really good) retreat is totally great , also celebrity suite restaurant is way better than rccl.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

My Dad was captured the first day of the Bulge and spent the rest of WWII in German prison camp. Some amazing stories go along with all of that. My brother is a Vietnam vet. Thanks to ALL who served....

On December 8,1941 ,three of my cousins ,brothers enlisted .One of the brothers spent his entire life in the army.Nearly all my friends served.Some never made it home.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I made it through my surgery. 
It hurts to cough or even move, and they’re going to make me get up and sit in a chair.

I was visited by vampires and ghosts of past, present or future all night. So now I’m really sleepy and still they come! I feel like poor Scrooge. Typical hospital torture!

Breakfast was Jello and apple juice. In tiny cups. I won’t drink the broth till they make me! I’ve nothing but liquids since Monday at 5:30 pm. Here it is Thursday!

Won’t know anything till pathology results tomorrow or next week. 

Nice to hear from you Mimi.

I'm pleased your surgery is over and prayers 🙏 for a complete recovery.

Graham.

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It does seem ike a very nice hotel on a beautiful property.  We haven’t looked inside but would like to take a peek next time.  My husband really liked the Hawaii Army Museum there when he visited it.  There’s also Fort Debussy Beach Park next to it, too.

714542E5-C4AA-4F74-8066-4F8F31EE2892.thumb.jpeg.b126ae7c603c85065da02cbcd0a8c9fc.jpeg

Our hotel was The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations which is right next door about a few yards from Hale Koa.

Here are a few pictures of the courtyard area. I wished I had more but can't find them. Your room rate is charged by your rank which sucks for us, but it's still cheaper than the surrounding hotels. We will be there again next October. They book up very quickly so we have to make reservations as soon as they open for the time we want.

This is looking out from the lobby area going towards the beach.

20170510_173346.thumb.jpg.6fa6630477d9bf6b490ea92e4488ddf6.jpg

Lobby area. You can see the check in desk in the background.

20170508_192228.thumb.jpg.e7dde59f4863b6d55d4e82356e7e1dc3.jpg

20170508_192236.thumb.jpg.3ea78b3755de1dec959050cd4c11a1fa.jpg

Looking out the lobby area towards the beach.

20170510_173351.thumb.jpg.7c501ae1713bcf7d1fe2e72c085a1283.jpg

• Like 10

The one bag of laundry per elite sounds really good.  It may cut down on how much to pack…..maybe 🤔.  And it sounds like drinks on cards too.  Sounds good to me.  Does one fill obligated to dress up at dining? I’m not a tie guy and most of the time I would rather not have a jacket.

When looking at the Anthem, those where the dates I wanted.  Much of that was knowing who would be on it.  I am sure we all would enjoy our time together. 

Absolutely you do not need to dress up on Celebrity if you don’t want to.  My husband wears khakis and a golf shirt every night.  He’ll put a sports coat on for Evening Chic nights.

And you can generally find rates that aren’t all inclusive.  For example, senior or resident rates.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Absolutely you do not need to dress up on Celebrity if you don’t want to.  My husband wears khakis and a golf shirt every night.  He’ll put a sports coat on for Evening Chic nights.

And you can generally find rates that aren’t all inclusive.  For example, senior or resident rates.  

I was surprised on how casual people dressed on my July Edge cruise , very few jackets on chic night, lots of shorts .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I was surprised on how casual people dressed on my July Edge cruise , very few jackets on chic night, lots of shorts .

Well, I didn’t want to start a dress code debate…😜  But you are correct, a jacket is not really required in actual fact.  (Pre covid this is when sticklers would start quoting the Celebrity website…in itself a whole ‘nother subject…)

• Like 2