Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

We were on a cruise with a woman who did an Aretha Franklin tribute.  I did not know that Luciano Pavarotti once asked Aretha to step in for him and sing Nessum Dorma.  I Googled it; unbelievably wonderful.

I saw that show on the Edge twice! Charity Lockhart. She was really very good.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Great news in anmail I got today.  Baby "Mighty Kennedy" arrived home today, for the very first time in his 308 day life, after so many operations and procedures.  He met his two older sisters for the first time, and they've already introduced him to the Grinch and Mickey.  There's still a long road ahead for Kennedy and his family, but so much happiness for this little Miracle.

Thank you all for your prayers!❤️

50 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Great news in an email I got today.  Baby "Mighty Kennedy" arrived home today, for the very first time in his 308 day life, after so many operations and procedures.  He met his two older sisters for the first time, and they've already introduced him to the Grinch and Mickey.  There's still a long road ahead for Kennedy and his family, but so much happiness for this little Miracle.

Ahh, that is wonderful news.  Everyone must be so happy and relieved as well as probably a little scared too to not have a nurse constantly monitoring him.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I thought of you, Keksie, with your Chewy Fedex story.  My grandsons Christmas present was due to arrive on November 27th.  Of course it hasn't arrived yet.  It came from California, shipped to Newark, NJ. went to Pa. went from there to Mo., went back to Pa, back to Newark, and back to Pa.  Unbelievable!  My granddaughter's gift was supposed to arrive yesterday, and I get texts from the company I ordered it from.  Text told me it was coming yesterday.  Next, a text told me the 4th;  um, no, now it's coming on the 6th.  (again, it is coming by Fedex.....or is it?????)

Argh.  So frustrating.  I just ordered from Chewy so hopefully this time it comes.  LOL

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Great news in an email I got today.  Baby "Mighty Kennedy" arrived home today, for the very first time in his 308 day life, after so many operations and procedures.  He met his two older sisters for the first time, and they've already introduced him to the Grinch and Mickey.  There's still a long road ahead for Kennedy and his family, but so much happiness for this little Miracle.

Wonderful news!

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As I said two people posted their e-mail addresses on CC but not everyone will do that

So just create an email that is only used for those on cruise critic that you want to get in touch with, it is a very simple solution.  Create lennycruisecritic@ whatever platform you use for your emails.  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

OK, my secondary diagnosis (of course I know better) is you are an 11 year old boy.  I remember a MAD magazine series about ordering from a restaurant menu through the ages.  I think the first was “I assure you, young man, you have NOT been given a child’s portion.”  Next in age was “Let me get this straight, you want both hot fudge AND butterscotch sauce on your french fried potatoes?”  Aged 20’s was “As far as I know, none of our vegetables are purchased from militant farmers exploiting poor migrant farm workers.”  Later “I appreciate your ordering in French sir, but you have just requested an oven roasted tractor.”  MAD used to be so very funny.

I wish I was an 11 year old boy.Living in NYC when I was 11 was a wonderful place to be.Adults could walk outside any hour of the day or night without fear of being mugged.In the summer our AC was sleeping on the roof of the 4 story apartment building we lived in,no elevators ,only stairways.

MAD was a great magazine but I was not reading it at age 11.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

So just create an email that is only used for those on cruise critic that you want to get in touch with, it is a very simple solution.  Create lennycruisecritic@ whatever platform you use for your emails.  Easy peasy.

I have no problem with listing my e-mail address.Nobody has ever asked me.The two people who gave me theirs,one on this thread and the other on another RCI thread presumably had no problem either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Great news in an email I got today.  Baby "Mighty Kennedy" arrived home today, for the very first time in his 308 day life, after so many operations and procedures. 

Great news! The future looks bright for "Mighty Kennedy."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

We were on a cruise with a woman who did an Aretha Franklin tribute.  I did not know that Luciano Pavarotti once asked Aretha to step in for him and sing Nessum Dorma.  I Googled it; unbelievably wonderful.

A friend of mine has a band Ladyz and the Boyz.They do more than 100 concerts a year.They have an Aretha sound alike woman in their band .You can find them on YouTube.

• Like 1

Do any of you remember Nedick’s in NYC?

One of my uncles would  take me there for a hot dog every time we went to Manhattan. 
He called it The Orange Room so I called it that when describing my day to my grandparents. 
You all may be too young for Nedicks, but I loved their Orange drinks and hot dogs with brown mustard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

One of my uncles would  take me there for a hot dog every time we went to Manhattan. 
He called it The Orange Room so I called it that when describing my day to my grandparents. 
You all may be too young for Nedicks, but I loved their Orange drinks and hot dogs with brown mustard. 

I remember Nedicks .My friends and I also referred to it as the Orange Room.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

So, to mash-up two very hot topics of late - Christmas Music and old TV shows - as I was driving home, I heard a fantastic rendition of Silent Night, which seems to be most people's favorite Christmas tune.  I glance down the XM radio to see who was singing it and it was Jim Nabors! Jim "Gomer Pyle" Nabors!!  Jim "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise" Nabors!!!  Well, Golly Sarge, I guess I never knew how great of a singer he was. I was never a huge fan of The Andy Griffrin Show" or "Gomer Pyle" but I saw some episodes here and there. Never remember him singing in any of them.

Anyways, down the rabbit hole I went and came across him singing "The Impossible Dream" from an episode of "Gomer Pyle".  

A much older Jim Nabors singing "Silent Night".

Yes, Jim Nabors as Gomer sang on Andy Griffith.  I couldn't believe his powerful voice!

18 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@HBE4

Just wanted you know when I was growing up. I used to watch Gomer Pyle on TV.

And when I first heard him singing the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM, I was in total awe.

Back then You had to wait to see a rerun to hear it again.

Patience is not one of my virtues.

Just recently I would google Youtube and listen to him singing that rendition.I did it when I first started walking and suffered from knee pain and would play it on my phone and just kept moving.

For me it was motivation.

I never ever knew he sang that version of SILENT NIGHT.

It just now  made my day!

I always loved the Christmas song, but hearing how he sang it ..............................well, words cannot express how I feel.

The holiday season for me has become a challenge over the years.

To Explain:

On my 48th birthday, -----------------------I lost my brother when he suffered a massive MI. He was 2 years older than me.

--The rescue squad was there in minutes Complete Emergency care, airway and CPR. But to no avail.

It was Christmas time for the funeral, and the church was decorated with the holiday spirit.  I was just existing, but remember hearing Silent Night being played by the organist.  It did not bother me, but calmed me down.

On my 55th birthday-------------------- I was in shock when my sister in law passed away, yes, she was married to my brother that I lost a few years before on my birthday.

How ironic to lose two family members on my birthday.

It took awhile to get over it, and move on.  I still think about it as my birthday approaches and these next upcoming days will of course be a reminder.

But, hearing that song just now, was meant to be.

My favorite actor/vocalist singing initially my favorite song, and then an added bonus of Silent Night.

Happenings  in life occur for a reason.

We may never know why.

But, by your post about sharing his  gift of singing, meant more to me than you know.

It was meant to be, and it was meant for  me.

Thank you

Good night.

CC in all its wisdom refuses to allow me to click the Like Button.  I had to comment that your post moved me. I hope wonderful memories of your brother and sister-in-law surround you on all your upcoming birthdays.

13 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

DS2 and his family asked for latkes.... DH happily complied 😁

[A latke is a type of potato pancake or fritter in Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine that is traditionally prepared to celebrate Hanukkah. ]

245f64e8-9261-445f-9c82-e52fdaff77d8.thumb.JPG.20aa8bbca43b20dd0e2fb5d42cd674d9.JPG

What can I say?  Total deliciousness. 

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'd put Celine in my top 5 female singers along with Adele, Whitney Houston, and Barbra Streisand.  I'll only list 4 here to leave room for someone who I may have missed.  Maybe Christina Aguilera?  Maybe Lady Gaga?  Maybe Aretha Franklin?  I'm judging based purely on vocal tone, range, clarity and power.  

Lady Gaga has an amazing voice.  Love her duets with Tony Bennett.  

I totally agree with what you said about Janis Joplin with comparison to our discussion on Bob Dylan.  I would not call her voice beautiful in the classic sense of the word.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Another friend that I had who had a great voice was Jay Black aka David Blatt.He was originally planning to be a Cantor.

I remember watching Jay Black sing Cara Mia when he must have been in his 60s.  His voice was clear and powerful as he hit that super high note "cara mia miiiiiiine" to perfection.  

@LuckynanaMaryann, great news about little sweet Mighty Kennedy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Fantastic news Maryann.

Prayers for Baby Mighty Kennedys good health and full recovery.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham!  He surely still needs them❤️

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Good news on Baby Kennedy🙏

It truly is.  Thank you, Marietta❤️

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

That is very good news!

Thank you, Arzeena.❤️  It really is!  I'm so happy for his family.  His mom posted a picture.  He is beautiful!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Ahh, that is wonderful news.  Everyone must be so happy and relieved as well as probably a little scared too to not have a nurse constantly monitoring him.

You are right, Debbie.  His mom said she will now be setting up appointments for his nurses, PT, etc.  Thank you for all your love and prayers!❤️

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Wonderful news!

For sure!❤️

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Great news! The future looks bright for "Mighty Kennedy."

Thank you, Greg!  Especially now that he's home with his family.❤️

53 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Oooh!  Nedicks orange drinks and hot dogs with brown mustard!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Lady Gaga has an amazing voice.  Love her duets with Tony Bennett.  

I totally agree with what you said about Janis Joplin with comparison to our discussion on Bob Dylan.  I would not call her voice beautiful in the classic sense of the word.

I am glad you mentioned them.  I forgot that I saw an ad for MTV Unplugged: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga.  It is on December 16 at 9pm on MTV.  I just set it to record.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am glad you mentioned them.  I forgot that I saw an ad for MTV Unplugged: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga.  It is on December 16 at 9pm on MTV.  I just set it to record.  Thanks for the reminder.

The 60 minutes piece on Tony battling Alzheimer's and Lady Gaga's role in his 95 year old birthday concert is very moving.  It's amazing that he can barely remember who he is sometimes but start playing one of the classics on a piano and he just turns on and lights up.  His voice is still incredible at 95.  Their duets are fantastic.  Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Mimi- I do remember Nedck’s ! I think there was one

near Macy’s on the corner of 34th Street. Their orange drink was yummy !

Marietta- You mentioned Loft’s candy stores. One of my great Aunts lived with us and my Mom would occasionally  invite some of her friends to our house for lunch. They would always bring my Mom a box of Loft’s chocolate and me some kind of novelty gift from Loft’s. 

Thanks for the memories,ladies!

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The 60 minutes piece on Tony battling Alzheimer's and Lady Gaga's role in his 95 year old birthday concert is very moving.  It's amazing that he can barely remember who he is sometimes but start playing one of the classics on a piano and he just turns on and lights up.  His voice is still incredible at 95.  Their duets are fantastic.  Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease.

I haven't seen that, I will see if I can find it online.  I have seen some of their duets in the past and they are amazing together, that is why I want to see this MTV Unplugged of them.  The Unplugged shows are typically really good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife and I have been on about a dozen cruises with good friends.The husband who will be 80 in two weeks was diagnosed in 2019 with Alzheimer’s .He does not recognize close family members.