Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Anyone see the NBC News story “ NCL Cruise Passengers Stranded At Sea”?  Such a ridiculous, misleading headline. “Stranded at sea”?? Really?? If you’re curious just read the thread about this cruise over on the NCL board ( NCL Gem 1/9).  Sorry, I don’t know how to link other threads. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

From me too, Dani!

And best of luck to the gs. Hugs.

The couscous looks delicious. I will try making it.

5 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Dani, Happy Anniversary to you and your DH and a Happy Birthday to him as well!  Also prayers for a successful procedure for your grandson. Hopefully you can all celebrate together soon.  

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Happy 49th Wedding Anniversary Dani and happy birthday to your “Chef” OH.   Hope you have a nice celebratory meal with family when life returns to “normal”.

Thank you !! I really appreciate all the heartfelt wishes. Can't believe... 49 years. "Golden" might be around the corner 😁

Prayers for the little one are more than welcome.🙏

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Anyone see the NBC News story “ NCL Cruise Passengers Stranded At Sea”?  Such a ridiculous, misleading headline. “Stranded at sea”?? Really?? If you’re curious just read the thread about this cruise over on the NCL board ( NCL Gem 1/9).  Sorry, I don’t know how to link other threads. 

Might be this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

🤞we test Tuesday🙏

Did they fix the ship in St. Martin?

Good luck with your tests🙏

Yes, azipod was fixed from what I heard.  Beautiful sunny lazy sea day.  I think I got more sun today then my 3 beach days on the islands.

Internet has been horrible for our work laptop.   We do fine most days with personal stuff on our phones, but having issues with the travel VPN our IT people at work set up.  

We are going to do a call to work support desk tomorrow and hopefully they can make it work.  

We are hearing we will start to have rough seas tomorrow and probably the rest of the trip back due to the nor'easter and full moon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

I wasn’t going to say anything however since you’ve been extra kind with your advice about my husband’s knees so here is my 2 cents worth.  I’m extra fussy about hotels and they have to measure up to my standards which are clean , clean and clean .  I would check Travel Weekly , it is a reference for TA ,  AAA for objective reviews and Trivago for general ratings. Travel Advisor is more subjective . It doesn’t hurt to check it , too.  I would never stay in a sub par hotel to save money.   

Have you considered having both knees treated at the same time ?  

This surgeon does not like to do it but I will ask how soon after the one can I do another. 

thank you for your thoughts on hotels. I am a person who believes you get what you pay for. Since we are doing two cruises in two months we may do the Galveston on on the cheap. Symphony in September we are getting the ultimate dining package on Liberty we just may eat in the MDR and the WJ.

• Like 1

After disembarking from Oasis in Miami, we began our post cruise road tour.  Day 1 - after a 475 mile, 8 hour drive, we arrived in Savannah, Georgia.  

We had planned to stay south of here and go to Cumberland island tomorrow, but the weather didn’t look the greatest.  The drive wasn’t too bad, except for about an hour of heavy rain through mid-Florida.  It was clear as we crossed the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville. 

48C95B69-FF38-478D-BEB8-F38A53792670.thumb.jpeg.09cfe6765cd00e2adefa24955090076e.jpeg

It looks like Savannah will be home for a while, until we see how long it takes for cleanup from Izzy on our way home.  Latest forecast is 12 to 18 inches of snow at home.  

I think our extended stay in the warm thinned our blood.  It is 55° F here, and it feels cold.  We are ready to turn around and find another cruise. 🤣🤣

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Good luck with your tests🙏

Yes, azipod was fixed from what I heard.  Beautiful sunny lazy sea day.  I think I got more sun today then my 3 beach days on the islands.

Internet has been horrible for our work laptop.   We do fine most days with personal stuff on our phones, but having issues with the travel VPN our IT people at work set up.  

We are going to do a call to work support desk tomorrow and hopefully they can make it work.  

We are hearing we will start to have rough seas tomorrow and probably the rest of the trip back due to the nor'easter and full moon.

It is supposed to get very windy tonight. It is going to rile up the Atlantic.

47 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Happy Annversary to you and your Hubby,Dani!

Happy Anniversary to you,Lenny , and your dear wife,Toby!

🎉🎊🥳💐🥂🌟

Cheers!

MJ🙋🏻

Thank you,MJ.We are also celebrating my son in law Glenn’s 50th.birthday on Wednesday night in my house.On Thursday night we are celebrating Toby’s sisters 80th.birthday which will be a BYOC (bring your own cake) Zoom.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

After disembarking from Oasis in Miami, we began our post cruise road tour.  Day 1 - after a 475 mile, 8 hour drive, we arrived in Savannah, Georgia.  . 

It looks like Savannah will be home for a while, until we see how long it takes for cleanup from Izzy on our way home.  Latest forecast is 12 to 18 inches of snow at home.  

Savannah is a beautiful City to be "stuck" in for a while.  Stay safe, and stay warm, Mark!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@firefly333 Hey Jane question? Looking to book hotel in Galveston for our October cruise. I know we had some conversations about places to stay. Did you recommend The Beachfront Palms to stay? They had cruise parking for the week correct? Any others you like ?

Dropping in an opinion:

My favorite place to stay in the Galveston area is the Kemah Boardwalk Inn.

It is approximately 30 minutes from Galveston.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Jane, great information. I will check out Quality Inn on Seawall. Since Uber can't get into port can taxis get in there? How far is the walk? Trying to weigh whether it's better to drive or fly into Houston. Flying is not that much more. Not sure how my knee will be 7 months after knee replacement. I'll be interested in knowing where you stay on your upcoming cruises and how you like them. Again thank you for your valuable information

I used to go to jazz festivals in Kemah and I always stayed at the Kemah Boardwalk Inn which I loved.

One year I missed my flight from Hobby Airport and stayed at the Quality Inn .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You cannot walk from seawall, it's about 3 miles. Uber drops you on or near harborside. Have to cross the street and cross the port. About 6 lanes of traffic on harborside, idk at least 4 and all trying to get into the port to drop off pax, and go park. Marty would be a excellent person to ask, he is good at that stuff. @seatoshiningsea. We dropped her off with the luggage and me and marty parked the car and walked back. He was the directions person. Cars are zooming thru there. There used to a a policeman standing there helping people cross. 

Yes Galveston taxis can get in. Houston ones arent supposed to. Lol I did taxis in oct and a houston driver trying to steal business had my taxi driver wound up. Lol and a woman was before me to hobby who didnt want to pay the full fare, trying to find someone to share the fare, he said was wrong. Hahaha. It was about $20 by taxi almost plus tip. About 3 miles.

Since we are in Dallas so we have sailed from Galveston a lot , I like either doubletree in Houston or in Galveston San Luis which is a great high end hotel or Hilton a few blocks away from there . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Jane, I don't mind getting a taxi for $20 just to be able to be dropped off in front of the terminal. Looked at prices on hotels. Beachfront Palms was $192 and Hampton $293 both with taxes and fess added. I'm surprised Hampton was so much more. Both with two queens Pams with pool view and Hampton with partial ocean. What do you think?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Beachfront the rooms to me were small, but across from same ocean and I liked the beds. Hampton used to have a shuttle.

I think the taxi was $18.76 but I rounded up when I said almost $20. I heard uber $12. 

Yes dani, @FromSeaToShiningSeamarty or helen could give you their view of traffic to cross the street to the port. Everyone is in a hurry. If your leg is bad, pay for the taxi.

Quality inn would also have the partial view. ..Hampton inn is more toward the action. ..the closer to pleasure pier the more the hotel will cost generally.

Gaidos is a favorite .. how is the price there. People love it and go there year after year. I read the breakfast is homemade and very good. Right in the center of the action. Check guidos hotel price too. But dont eat there ...eat next door. That's the $100 a plate dinner place with fresh fish. A landmark restaurant. 

Hi Greg and Jane - I don't post much at all but Helen alerted me to your questions - Jane is correct in that the sea wall hotels are about 3 miles from the RCL terminal.  If you have available parking at the sea wall hotel, it would be easier just doing Uber (about $12-14 each way) between the hotel and the terminal.  The near terminal parking lots are fine if you don't have other parking but it is about a 1/2 mile walk across a busy  Harborside Drive.  Given your knee recovery, the walk might be tough to do.  You will enjoy your cruise more if you don't over-strain your knee.

If I may, having both knees replaced at the same time may save some recovery time rather than doing one knee at a time.  I know several who have done so and they have felt that their outcomes and recoveries were smooth and successful.  All have said knee replacement gave them a new lease on being active and enjoying life.  Best of luck to you when you have these done.

• Like 2