Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The lack of food is such a sharp contrast to how relatives were always putting plates full in front of me and telling me to eat.

WW2 in Europe -- Food rationing was in full "force" also in North East England (and all of the UK), as I'm sure the families of our British friends remember.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That sounds like a good deal.  I would do it.  From what I remember I saw that in 2015 it was costing $40 per adult for just the bus/taxi service.  I would bet it cost more now.  Does anyone going have an underwater camera?  There will be a lot of photo opportunities when snorkeling.  I would think that someone on roll call would be interested.  Maybe link them to the review on "that" website.  😂 TripAdvisor.  I did it.  I posted the website name 😂 

I read online may have been TripAdvisor that someone paid $180 for round trip taxi ride for 4 people.     That's crazy!

Yes, someone on CC in 2019 had recommended the Olympus TG-6 underwater camera. 

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Tough-TG-6-Waterproof-Camera/dp/B07RC8HPHL  

I got it for Christmas that year along with a bundle kit that includes a red floaty thingy I put on my wrist to carry the camera, fisheye converter and a wide angle lense.

I used it for our sailings in January/Feb 2020 and it worked great.   

This past Christmas we both got full face snorkel masks.      I didn't get a chance to go snorkeling on our Jan cruise but it looks like this will be the perfect place to try out our new snorkel masks and take some nice photos.   

Typing this reminds me I want to order one of those aqua safes for our next cruise. 

Looked at me I typed the website name too😂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

WW2 in Europe -- Food rationing was in full "force" also in North East England (and all of the UK), as I'm sure the families of our British friends remember.

Fortunately, I guess, WW2 and I did not exist at the same time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Yes.  The early days of the pandemic where panic buying resulted in empty shelves and the recent supply chain issues, reminded my dad of the food rationing he experienced as a child in Devon, England.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

My problems seem very small against the reality of Ukraine’s suffering. 
I had an email forwarded from my  travel agency saying my cruise was canceled for no payment. 
It was booked and paid for in  2020. 
Canceled and FCC’s issued. Booked same cruise for March 2021. 
Canceled and lift and shifted to March 2022. 
Now, on a Saturday, I got an email forwarded saying canceled for nonpayment of $279.86. 
I’ve been on hold for 45 minutes. Agency is closed today. 

How frustrating.  Seems to be a common experience unfortunately these days that if something goes wrong with a holiday booking of any type, usually due to no fault of your own, you are on hold for a minimum of an hour  to try to speak to someone to get it sorted.

• Like 1

We booked 2 new cruises.    b2b on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore on 8/19/22 for 6 night cruise to Bermuda then stay onboard for 8/25/22 8 night sailing to NE/Canada.   

I had been looking at Bermuda cruises for the summer and figured I would book one with the last FCC we have but I wanted to wait until Bermuda announced their covid protocols as they had some strict rules for the last year.   Out of nowhere last night Eric says let's go ahead and book the trip to Bermuda and we can always cancel if we don't like their protocols.   

I told him I was also thinking about the NE/Canada cruise since one for last Sept was cancelled.   He said Okay - I will go to Bermuda and you can go to Canada - HaHa!

I then found the b2b itinerary that would work good for us.   Perfect timing too because I found only 1 cabin that was available for both cruises so booked it!

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We booked 2 new cruises.    b2b on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore on 8/19/22 for 6 night cruise to Bermuda then stay onboard for 8/25/22 8 night sailing to NE/Canada.   

I had been looking at Bermuda cruises for the summer and figured I would book one with the last FCC we have but I wanted to wait until Bermuda announced their covid protocols as they had some strict rules for the last year.   Out of nowhere last night Eric says let's go ahead and book the trip to Bermuda and we can always cancel if we don't like their protocols.   

I told him I was also thinking about the NE/Canada cruise since one for last Sept was cancelled.   He said Okay - I will go to Bermuda and you can go to Canada - HaHa!

I then found the b2b itinerary that would work good for us.   Perfect timing too because I found only 1 cabin that was available for both cruises so booked it!

Two of my favorite places on the planet.We cruised to Bermuda 10 times and vacationed in Canada via cruise ,car,train and bus a total of 17 times.

The first time we were in Bermuda was in 1973 .We were young and healthy.There was no such thing as shore excursions.We did a lot of walking and had a great time.

The first time we went to Canada was in 1969 when we were younger and even healthier and were out all day and nearly all night .We fell in love with Canada and in 1976 did a cross country tour of the country.

• Like 3

I spent 6 weeks in Toronto when I was 20.  My best friend had  met a whole bunch of Canadians on a Contiki Tour of Central Australia and we stayed in one couple,s beautiful home in Toronto and then visited other Canadian friends from the Contiki trip in their home towns.  We were in Toronto for Halloween and also  travelled to Ottawa and Quebec.  Quebec was beautiful with the snow and Christmas decorations but it  was absolutely freezing for us Aussies whose winter gear definitely did not meet Canadian weather standards. We also spent time in Vancouver including  a weekend in a ski lodge in Whistler that belonged to one of the Contiki friends.  That was amazing.  So beautiful with all the snow.
When my daughter was 17 we flew to Quebec from NYC in the summer - beautiful- then travelled on the VIARAIL to Montreal & Ottawa so she could see Harry Styles in concert.  She had front row ticket in Montreal and bought a last minute ticket at the concert in Ottawa. She still talks about those concerts.

My son is currently applying for a working holiday visa for Canada and my daughter will be over there again mid year - assuming international travel isn’t impacted by world events.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

My problems seem very small against the reality of Ukraine’s suffering. 
I had an email forwarded from my  travel agency saying my cruise was canceled for no payment. 
It was booked and paid for in  2020. 
Canceled and FCC’s issued. Booked same cruise for March 2021. 
Canceled and lift and shifted to March 2022. 
Now, on a Saturday, I got an email forwarded saying canceled for nonpayment of $279.86. 
I’ve been on hold for 45 minutes. Agency is closed today. 

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I’ve my hopes and fingers crossed everything will work out.

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Two of my favorite places on the planet.We cruised to Bermuda 10 times and vacationed in Canada via cruise ,car,train and bus a total of 17 times.

The first time we were in Bermuda was in 1973 .We were young and healthy.There was no such thing as shore excursions.We did a lot of walking and had a great time.

The first time we went to Canada was in 1969 when we were younger and even healthier and were out all day and nearly all night .We fell in love with Canada and in 1976 did a cross country tour of the country.

Bermuda is definitely our favorite island (as well as LBI).     Our very first cruise was with my Parents to Bermuda.    We have done some land and sea vacations to Bermuda.    Will always be dear to heart as I will always remember the fun times we had with my Parents in Bermuda.    This was, also, their favorite island.   

I have been to Montreal and Toronto by car.     Definitely interested in visiting Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.    I will love to get some fresh Prince Edward oysters while there.

• Like 2

I am so blessed. My Daughter Tia is such a good person. She just did my eyebrows and gave me a pedicure. I am not going anywhere since I have to test Friday for my 3/6 cruise on Oasis.

Im starting to get really excited but also nervous for my cruise.

Thanks to all the people who have answered all my questions.

Im going to do a live report and post pictures with my new phone.

This is my adult daughter Tia.

5B9E878A-CCE0-4ABE-AD5E-0ECF5E68AC91.jpeg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This past Christmas we both got full face snorkel masks.      I didn't get a chance to go snorkeling on our Jan cruise but it looks like this will be the perfect place to try out our new snorkel masks and take some nice photos.   

Typing this reminds me I want to order one of those aqua safes for our next cruise.

We brought ours along too and did not get the chance to use them.  The only beach we made it to was Coco Cay where we stayed on the slides again.  
we used the Aqua Safe.  The chairs did not have a place to attach the safe but we were able to attach it to the umbrella.  
One thing we bought several years ago and bring along each cruise is inflatable float noodles.  Easy and light to pack.

image.jpeg.0074ef24cd282139353aba5b3ce704df.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We brought ours along too and did not get the chance to use them.  The only beach we made it to was Coco Cay where we stayed on the slides again.  
we used the Aqua Safe.  The chairs did not have a place to attach the safe but we were able to attach it to the umbrella.  
One thing we bought several years ago and bring along each cruise is inflatable float noodles.  Easy and light to pack.

I have seen people with these types of noodles.    Guess I 😃add to my shopping list for Amazon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That sounds like a good deal.  I would do it.  From what I remember I saw that in 2015 it was costing $40 per adult for just the bus/taxi service.  I would bet it cost more now.  Does anyone going have an underwater camera?  There will be a lot of photo opportunities when snorkeling.  I would think that someone on roll call would be interested.  Maybe link them to the review on "that" website.  😂 TripAdvisor.  I did it.  I posted the website name 😂 

I have had a couple of waterproof cameras.  I had a Cannon for almost 10 years that was great but it finally stopped working.  I replaced it with an Olympus Tough that works really well.  My Cannon was only good for up to 5ft depth where my Olympus is good to 50ft (15 m).  The one thing I miss is the lack of a view finder to take pictures, you just look at the screen as you would a cell phone.  It is not an issue underwater but if you are just taking pictures in a lot of sun, there can be a lot of glare on the screen as you try to frame your picture.  My Cannon also had a shutter door that closed which the Olympus doesn't.  I just liked that to protect the outer glass of the lens from scratches but it really hasn't been a big deal.  The Olympus has wifi and GPS and a lot of other features I really haven't played with much.  The different modes depending on light or underwater do make for better pictures but I have left it in just "normal" mode and gotten nice pictures too.  Not a bad camera for the money.

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We bought inflatable noodles on a CVS clearance rack for 25 cents a few years ago.  We bring them on all our warm weather cruises.  

42 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Bermuda is definitely our favorite island (as well as LBI).     Our very first cruise was with my Parents to Bermuda.    We have done some land and sea vacations to Bermuda.    Will always be dear to heart as I will always remember the fun times we had with my Parents in Bermuda.    This was, also, their favorite island.   

I have been to Montreal and Toronto by car.     Definitely interested in visiting Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.    I will love to get some fresh Prince Edward oysters while there.

We have been to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick several times.One of our favorite places is Prince Edward Island.We were there the first time in 1970 and the last time in 2013.

Our younger daughter went to college in upstate NY.Whenever we were there for parents weekend we would stay a few more days and drive to Canada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I spent 6 weeks in Toronto when I was 20.  My best friend had  met a whole bunch of Canadians on a Contiki Tour of Central Australia and we stayed in one couple,s beautiful home in Toronto and then visited other Canadian friends from the Contiki trip in their home towns.  We were in Toronto for Halloween and also  travelled to Ottawa and Quebec.  Quebec was beautiful with the snow and Christmas decorations but it  was absolutely freezing for us Aussies whose winter gear definitely did not meet Canadian weather standards. We also spent time in Vancouver including  a weekend in a ski lodge in Whistler that belonged to one of the Contiki friends.  That was amazing.  So beautiful with all the snow.
When my daughter was 17 we flew to Quebec from NYC in the summer - beautiful- then travelled on the VIARAIL to Montreal & Ottawa so she could see Harry Styles in concert.  She had front row ticket in Montreal and bought a last minute ticket at the concert in Ottawa. She still talks about those concerts.

My son is currently applying for a working holiday visa for Canada and my daughter will be over there again mid year - assuming international travel isn’t impacted by world events.

Everyone is talking about Harry Styles .I never heard of him till my granddaughter went to see him in concert recently for a ticket price that was a lot more than when I was 17😀

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I have had a couple of waterproof cameras.  I had a Cannon for almost 10 years that was great but it finally stopped working.  I replaced it with an Olympus Tough that works really well.  My Cannon was only good for up to 5ft depth where my Olympus is good to 50ft (15 m).  The one thing I miss is the lack of a view finder to take pictures, you just look at the screen as you would a cell phone.  It is not an issue underwater but if you are just taking pictures in a lot of sun, there can be a lot of glare on the screen as you try to frame your picture.  My Cannon also had a shutter door that closed which the Olympus doesn't.  I just liked that to protect the outer glass of the lens from scratches but it really hasn't been a big deal.  The Olympus has wifi and GPS and a lot of other features I really haven't played with much.  The different modes depending on light or underwater do make for better pictures but I have left it in just "normal" mode and gotten nice pictures too.  Not a bad camera for the money.

Overall I am happy with the Olympus TG6.    Picture quality is good and easy to use.    The lense package I was gifted came with a lense cover which I feel much better putting on to protect the outer glass, especially since I use mostly on beaches and sand can definitely scratch up a lense.     I have used the video option but have not used the wifi option, yet.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Overall I am happy with the Olympus TG6.    Picture quality is good and easy to use.    The lense package I was gifted came with a lense cover which I feel much better putting on to protect the outer glass, especially since I use mostly on beaches and sand can definitely scratch up a lense.     I have used the video option but have not used the wifi option, yet.

I have had mine for four years and do not have any scratches on the lens or the screen. it is very durable.  I actually used it on a white water rafting excursion on our 2018 Alaska cruise and it took great videos.  I was able to buckle the camera to my lifejacket from the top buckle and use it without unbuckling and just left it hanging when not using it.  DH usually just keeps it in his bathing suit pocket when we are in the islands it hasn't scratched at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am and never was into cameras but many years ago a co-worker went to Sweden and brought back many cameras that he was selling for $100 each .I had never heard of the camera name but I decided to buy one .

He was not charging for the case.It was too sophisticated for me and I took it to a store in Manhattan that bought used cameras.They offered $120 for just the camera .I sold it .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I had a Cannon for almost 10 years that was great but it finally stopped working. 

I had a Canon at least 10 years ago. Got some great underwater videos of stingrays.  Mine stopped working too.  I don’t remember if my GoPro is waterproof.  I probably need to look into getting a new one.

• Like 2