Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

28.4°F and sunny this morning with a covering of frost on my car windscreen.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Prayers 🙏 for Ukraine.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

FB_IMG_1646088088709.jpg.3fcfb8557ea92b2d7c82d4d44c6bf6f1.jpg

Several of our ship’s employees were from the Ukraine , including our butler she thought this would be over in a few days unfortunately she was mistaken. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, jagsfan said:
40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

When I go to my daughter’s house, her temperature is always set to 78° in the winter, and 65° in the summer.  I can never understand those extremes.  Here, we set ours to 70° year round. 

Yesterday, we walked a little at the lake.  With all the snow melt, the lake level was up.  I decided I didn’t want to sit at this picnic table. 

070FA56E-9D5C-4402-AE47-8993AD6A43A0.thumb.jpeg.6f8d602861e36d5f0b1d979d3dfd27d2.jpeg

I think I mentioned that our grandkids made calendars for us each year.  As I was flipping it to March this morning, I just realized how much Cupid looked like a baby Donald T. 🤣🤣 in last month’s drawing. 

637E4423-544C-4F77-8B14-C0186EE1AFB9.thumb.jpeg.e1b692c49c1b8409927b455d385eed50.jpeg

How old are these artists? 
That is a charming picture. 
And I prefer to think he’s just an adorable little Cupid. 

Our grandson, who drew the Cupid, is 9.  The one for March by our 6 year old granddaughter is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

They always have a monthly theme, depending on what holiday is in the month. 

• Like 3

Well Happy Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras to all.

Now a couple thoughts ran thru my mind, you know like a gerbil on an exercise wire wheel.

Growing up as a Slovak/Polish Catholic my mom used to make those PACZKI donuts fresh on Fat Tuesday.

She would fill them with custard, and lekvar.  

Even though I love the taste of lekvar, I never acquired a taste for paczki donuts.

I would rather have a cream filled doughnut from May's in Hermitage Pa, than eating paczki,

Now it seems like it is a major thing before lent.

One of the specialty shops in town had people lining up hours before they opened so they can get this rare treat that is only made selectively through out the year.

I'll save my money, and carbs.

But growing up after having 15 years of Catholic education (Yup went to a catholic 3 year nursing school, in my first life, after high school). It was instilled in us to give up something for lent that you enjoy, or in other ways to leave bad habits.

Over the years I gave up the usual:

Swearing

Pop

Potato chips and ice cream

alcohol

But the best one I ever did and accomplished was I gave up..................elevators for Lent, and would say a prayer for someone as I climbed up or down.

Yes, I worked in an 8 story hospital and we had to provide emergency airway assistance and administer epidurals for laboring women.

After I dedicated myself to this goal, my boss put me on OB orientation to learn to give epidurals for the month.  Day in/Day out.

Our operating rooms were on the first and third floors and OB department was on the 7th. floor.

When not busy in OB, you gave breaks and helped in OR.

Well I think the hospital set a record of delivery's that month, and I counted and had to keep a tally of how many epidurals I placed for credentialing.  

That month I inserted on day shift alone, 129 epidurals for pain relief.

So that meant up and down, up and down and up and down those stairs.

The first few weeks I thought I was going to die. Why did I ever do this.

By the end of the month I was in the best shape ever.

So, when lent was coming to an end at church there was a basket and those who gave up something and would meet their commitment were asked to anonymously put in a basket what they accomplished.

I wrote  "I GAVE UP ELEVATORS" , and prayed on the way up and down............ and that  was the one selected and shared as a sacrifice as well as improving health.

Enjoy Mardi Gras

And for those who will be observing lent..................Prayers for peace and health.

Take care

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

At my nieces wedding last Saturday we were talking to one of my brothers friends and coworker that I have know for more than 40 years, he has a interesting job he is a contractor for rccl , he had choreographed many of his shows . He is now putting together the play Grease that will be added to the Independence of the seas, he said he works with the cast for about 5 weeks before they take it on the ship. This all takes place at rccl headquarters in Miami.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Our grandson, who drew the Cupid, is 9.  The one for March by our 6 year old granddaughter is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. 

They always have a monthly theme, depending on what holiday is in the month. 

Well, it’s March, so show us our March picture!

What a wonderful gift from your grandchildren!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Now a couple thoughts ran thru my mind, you know like a gerbil on an exercise wire wheel.

Growing up as a Slovak/Polish Catholic my mom used to make those PACZKI donuts fresh on Fat Tuesday.

Even though I love the taste of lekvar, I never acquired a taste for paczki donuts.

I would rather have a cream filled doughnut from May's in Hermitage Pa, than eating paczki,

One of the specialty shops in town had people lining up hours before they opened so they can get this rare treat that is only made selectively through out the year.

But growing up after having 15 years of Catholic education (Yup went to a catholic 3 year nursing school, in my first life, after high school). It was instilled in us to give up something for lent that you enjoy, or in other ways to leave bad habits.

Swearing

Pop

alcohol

But the best one I ever did and accomplished was I gave up..................elevators for Lent, and would say a prayer for someone as I climbed up or down.

Yes, I worked in an 8 story hospital and we had to provide emergency airway assistance and administer epidurals for laboring women.

After I dedicated myself to this goal, my boss put me on OB orientation to learn to give epidurals for the month.  Day in/Day out.

Our operating rooms were on the first and third floors and OB department was on the 7th. floor.

Well I think the hospital set a record of delivery's that month, and I counted and had to keep a tally of how many epidurals I placed for credentialing.  

So, when lent was coming to an end at church there was a basket and those who gave up something and would meet their commitment were asked to anonymously put in a basket what they accomplished.

I wrote  "I GAVE UP ELEVATORS" , and prayed on the way up and down............ and that  was the one selected and shared as a sacrifice as well as improving health.

Enjoy Mardi Gras

And for those who will be observing lent..................Prayers for peace and health.

Take care

Thank you for sharing. 
Your sacrifice benefited you, and also everyone you prayed for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Last night was only the second show of the new seriea.

😀 See I don’t even know what I’m behind in. There is a mix of the different Below Decks and I think some from last season. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

• Haha 1

I am wide open for something to give up for lent.   Since I will be cruising, I know it will be tough to come up with something.  I gave up elevators long ago, so that is out.  

I figure if I make it through the week with only 6 of the 7 deadly sins, it might be a win, because they are all there. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

Our neighbors just removed their river rock fireplace and their brick fireplace and replaced them both with sheetrock and electric digital fireplaces with heaters. They kind of got rid of the whole fireplace thing altogether. It looks very modern. :classic_smile: Our fireplace and hearth are brick. I will not paint brick. Whoever buys the house can paint it, but I won't. :classic_smile:

This is my (apparently sideways) fireplace. It’s incredibly ugly. It’s in my family room. We’re thinking of removing all the brick, and replacing the fireplace with something (anything) more modern. The thing that’s holding us back is that it’s directly linked to the gas line- no electricity is involved. There have been a couple days this winter that we were glad to have it!

8B80133A-5293-4187-99C0-0F01DDB03A04.jpeg

• Like 2

We just returned from our 10 day cruise on the Enchanted Princess. Have to catch up on all the reading on this thread. Don't quizz me till then. I vowed not to touch CC on this cruise and to just relax and chill out. So apologies if I have not chimed in to or liked anyone's post. Hope all the peoples, puppies, kitties, body parts that had been worked on (hey there Greg!😉) etc etc are doing good and there is peace online and at home.

We made all of our scheduled ports. It was a WOW cruise. Will post more details and some comparisons later. Saw the Wonder in port yesterday. Now she is a LOT of ship!😄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I am wide open for something to give up for lent.   Since I will be cruising, I know it will be tough to come up with something.  I gave up elevators long ago, so that is out.  

I figure if I make it through the week with only 6 of the 7 deadly sins, it might be a win, because they are all there. 

I guess you are not willing to give up your cruise for lent?? 🤔🤣🤪

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Swearing

Pop

alcohol

Enjoy Mardi Gras

Take care

Great story and good for you to sticking with it. The only thing I ask that you not give up for Lent is Cruise Critic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Jimbo I saw your question on another thread about the size of a kitchen island.  I didn’t want to hijack that thread but figured I could do it in this one since pretty much anything goes here lol.  We too have been planning to replace a kitchen island.  The existing one is oddly shaped and placed too far away from the stove & sink. My idea is to also do 2 sets of cabinets, back to back, creating a large rectangle.  I worried how I’d feel about the loss of the open space (even though it doesn’t function well as is) and just seeing it on paper didn’t help me visualize it.  My solution, as you can see in the photos, was to lay out blue painters tape so I could get a “feel” for where the new island would be. It’s helped tremendously and now I’m sure I’m going to love it.  Now I just need to decide on the base cabinet pieces I want and get everything ordered.  DH will do the work with the exception of granite install.  

B65B1041-07F1-4AFA-AD01-B321553460C8.jpeg

02998084-8422-4DA3-B29B-8344EAF94FAC.jpeg

Here some pictures of our kitchen area, doing away with that wall and pony wall. Sink and dishwasher will be in the island.

The white door you see at the end of wall counters, lowers and uppers is the pantry. Doing away with the pantry, refridgerator will be kind of where that white door is.

Can't decide on whether to get a wall oven with microwave over it or get a regular gas stovetop with oven under it and maybe either just put microwave by itself or put the microwave in the island.

Behind the large white wall is the great room, so we have plenty of room for the large island we think.

20220301_092709.jpg

20220301_092734.jpg

20220301_092740.jpg

20220301_092759.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Here some pictures of our kitchen area, doing away with that wall and pony wall. Sink and dishwasher will be in the island.

The white door you see at the end of wall counters, lowers and uppers is the pantry. Doing away with the pantry, refridgerator will be kind of where that white door is.

Can't decide on whether to get a wall oven with microwave over it or get a regular gas stovetop with oven under it and maybe either just put microwave by itself or put the microwave in the island.

Behind the large white wall is the great room, so we have plenty of room for the large island we think.

20220301_092709.jpg

20220301_092734.jpg

20220301_092740.jpg

20220301_092759.jpg

My vote is for a wall oven.  We have a double wall oven and absolutely love it.  So much easier than bending over when cooking.  Especially when basting turkeys or even baking cookies.  

Right now I have gas cooktop with microwave over it but when i redo my kitchen i want to put a nice looking range hood with a nice tile backsplash.

I'm thinking I will put microwave in the island, not sure yet.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My vote is for a wall oven.  We have a double wall oven and absolutely love it.  So much easier than bending over when cooking.  Especially when basting turkeys or even baking cookies.  

Right now I have gas cooktop with microwave over it but when i redo my kitchen i want to put a nice looking range hood with a nice tile backsplash.

I'm thinking I will put microwave in the island, not sure yet.

Yes, my wife wants a nice wooden range hood over the cook top, so no way a microwave would go there. She does want a double oven too because she says houses in our price range all have double ovens, but with that and microwave in  the wall we will just have walls of stainless  steel appliances filling up that wall.

Still undecided on a lot, we have a designer planning it for us. We should see what she comes up with  soon.

Cabinets on wall will be off white with black sparkled counter top. Island will be a shade of brown with the same black countertop, with a farmhouse sink. Range hood will be the same shade of brown the island is.

Subway tile for back splash, Above the upper cabinets  will be the same brick veneer we use for fireplace on the walls that go up  on cathedral ceiling in the  kitchen .

Pic 1.png

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7

Tomorrow will be my 3 week mark since my knee replacement surgery. I will go to my post op appointment where they will take X-rays to make sure everything is aligned. My range of motion is now at 114 degrees out of 120 degrees. Pain is getting better but I still have moments of being very uncomfortable. I can walk around without using a cain but I use it since I’m still on pain meds. The Tramadol makes me incredibly sleepy. Good thing I have my puppies to snuggle with. Sometimes I think they love me to use my face as a pillow.

D99FB938-6ED5-41CB-B595-BF106B6D8A2A.thumb.jpeg.f7810d7961cba12ee012de97dd595fbb.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 8

The other thing I’ve been doing when not exercising or napping is binge watching.

I know it’s been mentioned here before but I started watching “Yellowstone.” With Kevin Costner. Boy is it good. It’s like Bonanza meets the God Father. Very intense at times. I’m finished with season 1 and started season two. Linda doesn’t care for all the violence but I think that it was makes it so intense. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out. Great acting, powerful story and incredible beautiful scenery.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, my wife wants a nice wooden range hood over the cook top, so no way a microwave would go there. She does want a double oven too because she says houses in our price range all have double ovens, but with that and microwave in  the wall we will just have walls of stainless  steel appliances filling up that wall.

Still undecided on a lot, we have a designer planning it for us. We should see what she comes up with  soon.

Cabinets on wall will be off white with black sparkled counter top. Island will be a shade of brown with the same black countertop, with a farmhouse sink. Range hood will be the same shade of brown the island is.

Subway tile for back splash, Above the upper cabinets  will be the same brick veneer we use for fireplace on the walls that go up  on cathedral ceiling in the  kitchen .

Pic 1.png

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

A very popular and useful option is a microwave drawer in the island.  Makes access a lot easier than the traditional door front microwave in an island.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The other thing I’ve been doing when not exercising or napping is binge watching.

I know it’s been mentioned here before but I started watching “Yellowstone.” With Kevin Costner. Boy is it good. It’s like Bonanza meets the God Father. Very intense at times. I’m finished with season 1 and started season two. Linda doesn’t care for all the violence but I think that it was makes it so intense. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out. Great acting, powerful story and incredible beautiful scenery.

If you like “Yellowstone”, then be sure to check out “1883”, it’s the prequel showing how the Duttons got all that land.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

A very popular and useful option is a microwave drawer in the island.  Makes access a lot easier than the traditional door front microwave in an island.

Yes, we are thinking about that too. Quite pricey compared to wall units, but you only do this once right?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tomorrow will be my 3 week mark since my knee replacement surgery. I will go to my post op appointment where they will take X-rays to make sure everything is aligned. My range of motion is now at 114 degrees out of 120 degrees. Pain is getting better but I still have moments of being very uncomfortable. I can walk around without using a cain but I use it since I’m still on pain meds. The Tramadol makes me incredibly sleepy. Good thing I have my puppies to snuggle with. Sometimes I think they love me to use my face as a pillow.

D99FB938-6ED5-41CB-B595-BF106B6D8A2A.thumb.jpeg.f7810d7961cba12ee012de97dd595fbb.jpeg

You’re getting there. If you’re already at 114, your therapist is pretty aggressive. Not a bad thing, but pushing it can cause more pain. 
The upside is, your therapy will end sooner, and you’ll see a big decrease in the pain. Hopefully before you do the other knee!

it’s great to have your pups to cuddle with. They have time to do it!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I bet you are thankful that you were able to retire before going through this.  Glad things are improving for you.

• Like 3