Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Completely agree. One of the other great things is looking at this engineering marvel and thinking what it was like designing and building this over 100 years ago with the machinery that they had back then. We have done the Full Transit once and the Partial Transit twice and when our friends that have never been are ready to go, we will have no problem taking that cruise again. We also took a ship sponsored "Small Boat Excursion through the Canal" where you were able to get a completely different perspective of the size of everything. I have not read it, but they say if you read "The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough, it is a very informative book.

Oh Yes !! So true it's an amazing cruise for sure. The engineering feat of the whole canal is just amazing.  Look forward to seeing now the new canal that was built after we did the full transit back in  2004. 

No idea why it ever took us almost 20 years to do this cruise again. Can't wait !!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's tilled and ready for planting, was going to go out this afternoon and pick up some plants but it's kind of a miserable day here and heavier rain and storms are moving in, so think I will put it off to tomorrow or Sunday.  

Lowest temp in the next 14 days is 39 degrees on Sunday night, after that to the 20th of May is 45 degrees or higher. So I should be safe to put plants in the ground this coming Monday.

Forecast today Strong storms today. Damaging winds, large hail and possibly a tornado with some storms. Have a plan and be prepared.

It has been raining here since 9 am.    expecting rain all day today and tomorrow, stopping early Sunday then strong winds expected.      Spring showers bring May flowers!  

All of my plants are looking good except for 2 tomato plants and 1 bunch of cucumber will need to be replaced.     

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I remember 6 :CBS,NBC,ABC,WPIX,WNET ,Dumont and one other .

We were very happy.We also had something called a radio.

Oh Lenny,  we also had encyclopedias, rotary dial phones, etc., etc.  I was happy then and I'm happy now but all this technology does get confusing.  And I sure loved my transistor radio; Murray the K, Cousin Brucie rocked our world in NYC then.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Oh Lenny,  we also had encyclopedias, rotary dial phones, etc., etc.  I was happy then and I'm happy now but all this technology does get confusing.  And I sure loved my transistor radio; Murray the K, Cousin Brucie rocked our world in NYC then.

I was walking through a store in the local mall and had to laugh when I heard a little old lady ask the salesman if  they had any transistor radios. I wonder if the young salesman  knew what that was.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Cousin Brucie is 84 and I believe still lives in Brooklyn.I loved my transistor radio too.

I remember my Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia .I saved a lot of things from my childhood.I went to an Elementary School reunion in 2006 and everyone who attended were given copies of the yearbook from our graduating class.For some reason nobody bought them when in school.

I have my Elementary and Junior HS autograph albums .Kids today have no idea what that was.

• Like 2

Regarding the glory days of free TV, while the price of cable & satellite providers can be high and they have the annoying habit of bundling 100+ channels together just so you can get the 10 channels you like, keep in mind back in those days, many TV programs were of the same quality of Mr. Ed (the talking horse), Gilligan’s Island, Green Acres and action shows were Adam-12 and CHiPs.  Looking back, I can’t believe I was to watch and enjoy those shows.  Although I do like Stasky & Hutch and the original SWAT.😁

And forget about trying to watch any kind of sporting event on the grainy screens of the small, non-HiDef tvs.

Today’s TV shows are of much better overall quality – acting, writing, cinematography etc. – than most of big-screen, block buster movies of the 1960’s & 70’s  Fan fav such as Survivor and Below Deck would be far too cost prohibitive to produce without  cable $$$.

JMO

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

We want to go through the new locks also but not until our friends have experienced the original locks first.

I wonder if we will know ahead of time which Locks we  are going through before the cruise and how they decide what ships go through which Locks, New or Old?

20 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

And I sure loved my transistor radio; Murray the K, Cousin Brucie rocked our world in NYC then.

I remember Cousin Brucie from way back in the day. I thought he had died or at least retired until I heard him on XM radio on the 60's channel recently.  I think he has a weekly show.  I enjoyed the music but, um, he should really consider retiring permanently.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It has been raining here since 9 am.    expecting rain all day today and tomorrow, stopping early Sunday then strong winds expected.      Spring showers bring May flowers!  

All of my plants are looking good except for 2 tomato plants and 1 bunch of cucumber will need to be replaced.     

Raining here as well .New forecast is for rain all day today and tomorrow but clear on Sunday .Winds gusting to 40 mph for Sunday.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cousin Brucie is 84 and I believe still lives in Brooklyn.I loved my transistor radio too.

I remember my Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia .I saved a lot of things from my childhood.I went to an Elementary School reunion in 2006 and everyone who attended were given copies of the yearbook from our graduating class.For some reason nobody bought them when in school.

I have my Elementary and Junior HS autograph albums .Kids today have no idea what that was.

I still have my autographed yearbook from HS and may have one from Junior High.    We did not have them elementary school.    

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Regarding the glory days of free TV, while the price of cable & satellite providers can be high and they have the annoying habit of bundling 100+ channels together just so you can get the 10 channels you like, keep in mind back in those days, many TV programs were of the same quality of Mr. Ed (the talking horse), Gilligan’s Island, Green Acres and action shows were Adam-12 and CHiPs.  Looking back, I can’t believe I was to watch and enjoy those shows.  Although I do like Stasky & Hutch and the original SWAT.😁

And forget about trying to watch any kind of sporting event on the grainy screens of the small, non-HiDef tvs.

Today’s TV shows are of much better overall quality – acting, writing, cinematography etc. – than most of big-screen, block buster movies of the 1960’s & 70’s  Fan fav such as Survivor and Below Deck would be far too cost prohibitive to produce without  cable $$$.

JMO

Very true.  Many of the shows that we talk about here (Ozark, Ray Donovan, Breaking Bad, etc.) would not exist without cable and streaming services.  Watching the old shows that you mention seems so corny and poorly acted/written now.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have my HS yearbook and my elementary and Jr High (Middle school then) autograph books.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric had in recent past got his Mother one of these HDTV antennas and tried mounting in several locations of the house.     On a good day she got ABC, NBC and Fox but on a rainy day she was lucky if she got one station.    She is muddling thru learning how to use the smart TV she bought earlier this year after the fire at her house.    He set her up with Netflix, peacock and a couple other free ones but she gets herself so confused on how to "change the channel".     

We live in the foothills of the Ozarks so not only is distance a problem, but so are the hills.  We have an LG and LG offers several free channels to watch but none of the 4 major channels.  I watched it a bit when we first got the tv but I can’t remember the last time I looked at it.  Our internet service has limited downloading.  What I hate is we have been using them for over 20 years and they give better prices to new customers.  My daughter was able to get a real good price on unlimited faster internet and it hasn’t gone up for several years.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

JMO

Occasionally I am in doctors offices where in the waiting room they play tv stations that show old shows.I often wonder why I liked those shows because they are so bad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I remember Cousin Brucie from way back in the day. I thought he had died or at least retired until I heard him on XM radio on the 60's channel recently.  I think he has a weekly show.  I enjoyed the music but, um, he should really consider retiring permanently.

I was at an outdoor concert in Brooklyn about 10 years ago.He was a guest and told the audience that he lived within walking distance of the venue.

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I still have my autographed yearbook from HS and may have one from Junior High.    We did not have them elementary school.    

I never bought one in Junior High.I have my HS yearbook a few feet from where I am right now. Earlier today a friend who I have known since HS called me .Whenever we speak we always discuss school days and how things have changed .My HS friends are all over the US.Only 2 of the 30 I am in touch with still live in NY.

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Very true.  Many of the shows that we talk about here (Ozark, Ray Donovan, Breaking Bad, etc.) would not exist without cable and streaming services.  Watching the old shows that you mention seems so corny and poorly acted/written now.

The scripts back in the 60’s were either hand written or by typewriter.Slightly different these days😀

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

What I hate is we have been using them for over 20 years and they give better prices to new customers.

I've call the cable company several times in the past & threatened to cancel. They've always given me the same low "introductory" rate they give to new customers.  Of course, the downside is I need to lock into a 1 or 2 year contract.  Nowadays, I don't even threaten to cancel, I just ask politely which seems to work just as well.🙂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I have my HS yearbook and my elementary and Jr High (Middle school then) autograph books.

I read my autograph albums often and look through my HS yearbook.I have been to several HS reunions.My yearbook as I assume yours is was black and white.I had red hair .Now my hair is white .

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I still love the old westerns from the 1950’s and 1960’s , Have gun will travel, Gunsmoke, etc. but watching it now on my 70”tv is a little different, during the fist fight scenes you can clearly see that there is a stand in for one or both of the actors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I was in college I had a part time job one year selling encyclopedias door to door.Part of my written presentation was to tell the prospective customer that the encyclopedia would be something that people would use for reference forever.I kept mine from 1952 to 2002 .Nobody that I know still has theirs.

4 minutes ago, George C said:

I still love the old westerns from the 1950’s and 1960’s , Have gun will travel, Gunsmoke, etc. but watching it now on my 70”tv is a little different, during the fist fight scenes you can clearly see that there is a stand in for one or both of the actors.

I still have my 21” tv that I bought on Putnam Ave in Ridgewood in 1994.It still plays better than my 27” Smart Tv’s .I never had a desire for a large screen tv.

I have encyclopedias up the attic.  Too much work getting all the stuff I saved out of the attic.  We have regular stairs but still such a bother.  I told Charlie we need to rent a dumpster than we can toss things out the attic window!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4