Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Welcome Home!    I look forward to hearing and seeing photos of all the fun activities you do with the grandchildren.    I remember last summer was a lot of fun!

That may be tough for two of the kids, because they are having the times of their lives at Disney right now.  

Of course, one thing that happened on our flight yesterday, was that grandson swallowed a tooth.  

Fortunately, the tooth fairy was still able to find him and pay up. 🤣🤣🤣

CB11440C-7BA0-49F3-8636-898D660576F3.thumb.jpeg.14af137686ba70a39f24c6fa14a94db4.jpeg

Lunch today was hibachi teriyaki chicken. 

EAF0336B-AA55-4B8A-9F3C-76EB320DBA2A.thumb.jpeg.88a0ed415214931a2ff5c31c3c0d0fc0.jpeg

This week will be somewhat filled with doctors appointments and getting things done that were neglected the last three weeks. 

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That may be tough for two of the kids, because they are having the times of their lives at Disney right now.  

Of course, one thing that happened on our flight yesterday, was that grandson swallowed a tooth.  

CB11440C-7BA0-49F3-8636-898D660576F3.thumb.jpeg.14af137686ba70a39f24c6fa14a94db4.jpeg

That's a nice letter from the tooth fairy.   Wow, she gives a $20 nowadays, guess inflation😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Luckily, tomorrow is boarding day, followed by a sea day. My feet will rest 😎

They will need it. Rome is beautiful and practically impossible to stop walking and taking in the sights. 

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I’ll try to post separately a short video from Fontana da Trevi. On our last 2 visits it was under repairs and covered. It looks much nicer now.

I have been two times, once to it being a fountain and another being repaired. Your photo tonight seemed peaceful and looked beautiful.  

Enjoy embarkation day tomorrow and give yourself a much needed break. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cold start to the day here.  4C as we were driving into the city this morning.  Back to the State Theatre to see another doco.  This time - Fire of Love - Featuring married French Volcanologists and their extraordinary personal videos of decades of research at Volcanoes around the world.  Their flimsy protective gear in the early years and their ability to get perilously close to lava flows and volcanic eruptions was eye-opening to watch. 4708D819-86AD-4942-9620-804BC0035C51.thumb.jpeg.017d14564abebcbc42cafb4a3bf57f56.jpeg

• Like 6

After the doco, it was a nice walk in the sun up to the Art Gallery of NSW to see the Wynne Prize exhibition. An annual prize for the best landscape painting of Australian scenery. In recent times, Indigenous paintings have featured prominently.EB1F9DCD-4FAC-49B4-A089-FA98A0A41B0A.thumb.jpeg.b0eae4ac7333c893ad8e29d2477bf320.jpeg

Artist - Rhoda Tjitayi from South Australia.  This is her Grandmother’s ancestral creation story.

• Like 6

4175126D-3387-406E-A152-FB9975DA5459.thumb.jpeg.a42dd94b8df8d67d1dec510fad6d91b0.jpeg

Country with Acacia Wattle by South Australian artist Nellie Coulthard (above)

Below is a collaborative effort from two sister-in-laws and a daughter from an Art Centre in Coober Pedy in South Australia 

The painting depicts water serpent, water holes & a women’s site, titled Our Country.

E6AA8070-6770-43FC-868E-FEEDA95F62AF.thumb.jpeg.f87504fcdde7c622b297e228f8da9e7b.jpeg

• Like 4

Eora by Nicolas Harding is the winning landscape.  My photo does not do it justice but this large  oil on canvas painting of a location in Sydney is stunning in person.

After viewing all the artworks in the exhibition, we headed to the onsite cafe for lunch.  Finger sandwiches and a pot of tea hit the spot.

F84345C1-9AE3-429C-88DE-F668D86177BB.thumb.jpeg.11eb90c1fff4434d5ed010afea5f25f5.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, NHProud said:

We didn’t pay for this view from a hotel in the same family as the Sheraton brand. 
The white structure is the venue for the summer pops and the bridge in the background is the Coronado bridge . And ,  I live here ! 

Looks like June Gloom may have ended??

• Like 1

A little more info on 5G that might explain the different speeds that people are seeing.  5G is really a marketing term used as a general name for the 5th generation of cellular communication.  There are a few different flavors of 5G, and each mobile phone company has different strategies on how they will deploy various 5G flavors.  "High band" 5G uses high frequency radio signals.  This gives the really fast speeds and low latency that is the dream of 5G, but also means that the signal cannot travel as far.  Lower frequency signals travel further distances than high frequency signals.  This is why AM radio stations can be received hundreds of miles away while FM radio stations are much more limited.  These high band 5G signals are also more susceptible to interference from objects, walls, even rain.  For high band 5G to work consistently well, mobile companies need to install many, many nodes (the things installed on a tower or building).  This is very expensive and deployment of high band 5G is limited to more populated areas, varying by mobile provider.  Verizon calls this 5G Ultra Wideband.  AT&T calls this 5G+.  T-Mobile calls this Ultra Capacity 5G.  

"Mid band" and "Low band" 5G use lower frequency signals.  Low band is in the same frequency range as current 4G/LTE and provides only a slight improvement in speed over 4G/LTE, based on some behind the scenes ways that 5G better utilizes the radio waves.  Low band signals however can travel farther than high band 5G and have less concerns about signal interference.  Your user experience on low band 5G will be a lot like current 4G/LTE, only a touch faster.  You will however see 5G on your phone's status bar rather than LTE.  Low band 5G is cheaper to deploy because you need many fewer nodes than high band 5G.  Mid band is a compromise between low and high band for both speed and signal distance.  If you are lucky to have a high band 5G node VERY near where you live, you might experience very fast 5G speeds (possibly what OB has).  Most of us however will first see low band 5G and won't see much improvement.  

Here a few videos (from 2020 so a little bit dated) that go through this in more detail ranging from least technical to most technical

Marques Brownlee - 5G: Explained!

The Verge - How 5G Works: the pros and cons

Real Engineering - The Truth About 5G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

This week will be somewhat filled with doctors appointments and getting things done that were neglected the last three weeks. 

I love the letter from the Tooth Fairy.  Perfect!!!!😊  My daughter has always printed letters from Ryan's Elf on a Shelf to Ryan, answering the notes and requests that (Ryan) left for Friedrich (the elf's name).

Enjoy your Summer with Lucas!!  (I have 2 great nephews with the same name)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

A little more info on 5G that might explain the different speeds that people are seeing.  5G is really a marketing term used as a general name for the 5th generation of cellular communication.  There are a few different flavors of 5G, and each mobile phone company has different strategies on how they will deploy various 5G flavors.  "High band" 5G uses high frequency radio signals.  This gives the really fast speeds and low latency that is the dream of 5G, but also means that the signal cannot travel as far.  Lower frequency signals travel further distances than high frequency signals.  This is why AM radio stations can be received hundreds of miles away while FM radio stations are much more limited.  These high band 5G signals are also more susceptible to interference from objects, walls, even rain.  For high band 5G to work consistently well, mobile companies need to install many, many nodes (the things installed on a tower or building).  This is very expensive and deployment of high band 5G is limited to more populated areas, varying by mobile provider.  Verizon calls this 5G Ultra Wideband.  AT&T calls this 5G+.  T-Mobile calls this Ultra Capacity 5G.  

"Mid band" and "Low band" 5G use lower frequency signals.  Low band is in the same frequency range as current 4G/LTE and provides only a slight improvement in speed over 4G/LTE, based on some behind the scenes ways that 5G better utilizes the radio waves.  Low band signals however can travel farther than high band 5G and have less concerns about signal interference.  Your user experience on low band 5G will be a lot like current 4G/LTE, only a touch faster.  You will however see 5G on your phone's status bar rather than LTE.  Low band 5G is cheaper to deploy because you need many fewer nodes than high band 5G.  Mid band is a compromise between low and high band for both speed and signal distance.  If you are lucky to have a high band 5G node VERY near where you live, you might experience very fast 5G speeds (possibly what OB has).  Most of us however will first see low band 5G and won't see much improvement.  

Here a few videos (from 2020 so a little bit dated) that go through this in more detail ranging from least technical to most technical

All very good information     Out of curiosity I just did speed test on laptop connected to xfinity wifi.  

results 358 mbps and 35 ping.    when I tested the phone connected to xfinity home internet I got 209 mbps and 20 ping.

When I turn off wifi on the phone and go to my 5g thru Boost using t-mobile network I only got 59 mbps with 42 ping.    It is currently raining on the island with thunderstorms nearby.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks. That is a very informative post. I've noticed that at the office, which is close to the hospital, I mostly get 4G LTE. I need to do a test to see how this compares to my home numbers.

Edit: download 3.3 upload 0.4 ping 47. Maybe the network is really busy right now?

Dani, hope you are on board. Did you get a notification of the cruise critic meet up? We had nothing in our cabin. I think we're on the same floor. I'll leave you a note with our cabin number . Up at the sunset bar for sail away now

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Edit: download 3.3 upload 0.4 ping 47. Maybe the network is really busy right now?

Those are low numbers.   Is that cellular or on the office wifi?   Yesterday, while a mile or two away from the neighborhood,  I was testing between 120 to 190.  Once we got up into the neighborhood it dropped between 10 to 20.  The trees and hills effects it.

22 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Those are low numbers.   Is that cellular or on the office wifi?   Yesterday, while a mile or two away from the neighborhood,  I was testing between 120 to 190.  Once we got up into the neighborhood it dropped between 10 to 20.  The trees and hills effects it.

That was cellular. I have a 5G signal in the office right now with DL 41.0 UL 0.5 Ping 61.

• Like 1