Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I got a call today from a guy who I last saw in 1955.He was on vacation in South Carolina and met another long lost friend The guy he met told him that he was in touch with me and he asked for my phone number .

I saw the name on the caller ID and was pleasantly surprised.He lives in Delaware .We spoke for nearly an hour discussing our lives for the past 68 years.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just picked half dozen corn from our garden. We will be having some for dinner tonight.

20230810_140207.jpg

Looks good. Unfortunately we will be eating airplane food.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:18 AM, Momof3gurlz said:

We are on our way from MCO to Port Canaveral, boarding Independence of the Seas tomorrow morning to PDCC & Nassau, returning Monday. Tonight we stay at the Hampton Inn Cape Canaveral Cruise Port and we’ll likely head over to Fish Lips for dinner.  These boys are going to want to run from one activity to another on the ship, so if I’m not too exhausted at night, I’ll try to post some updates.  Me with Andrew and Will (Andy is in the front seat with the driver)

IMG_9322.thumb.jpeg.100ba1acd67fb7523ed219196835b69f.jpeg

Enjoy your trip.

18 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Have a great cruise.  I would love to take our grandkids on a cruise, and they all want to go on one.   Problem is, my daughter got sea sick on the one cruise we took her on when she was probably 11, and she never wants to go on another cruise.  She doesn’t want us to take her two without her, so that doesn’t work.  

We have tried to convince her that the Oasis class ships are much smoother sailings than the ship we had her on in th 90’s.  Maybe next summer.

That's kind of sad. She should be happy that they would get to enjoy something new imo.

• Like 4

Sitting in FLL. Plane delayed about 2 hours going to PHL so that now leaves us an hour for our connecting flight. If they don't change gates we will be next to the one we need to get to. I have a feeling they will probably change to a gate at the opposite end of the airport. 

• Like 6

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

Sitting in FLL. Plane delayed about 2 hours going to PHL so that now leaves us an hour for our connecting flight. If they don't change gates we will be next to the one we need to get to. I have a feeling they will probably change to a gate at the opposite end of the airport. 

That is nerve wracking. That stuff drives me crazy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That is nerve wracking. That stuff drives me crazy.

It does, but hopefully things work out. Our cruise isn't until the 16th, but we want extra time to explore Amsterdam. There is one lady on the faces page that leaves NY and gets in I think it was 12:30 or 1:30 the day of the cruise. That's if things go as planned. All aboard is 4:00. For some reason I thought it was later. I'd be panicking. She is cutting it way to close imo.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sounds a bit like when I flew home from FLL. Flight was delayed and my 1.5 hr window to make a connection in Baltimore became 15 minutes to run to a gate in another terminal. I was a bit stressed.😐

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sounds a bit like when I flew home from FLL. Flight was delayed and my 1.5 hr window to make a connection in Baltimore became 15 minutes to run to a gate in another terminal. I was a bit stressed.😐

I can definitely see why. Mike just informed me they changed the gate that we will be leaving out of. Changed fom C27 now to A17. We get into PHL at gate C26 so leaving from gate C27 would've been perfect.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I can definitely see why. Mike just informed me they changed the gate that we will be leaving out of. Changed fom C27 now to A17. We get into PHL at gate C26 so leaving from gate C27 would've been perfect.

That is about a 15 minute walk between those gates.  Hope you are not further delayed. 

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We did Maya Key last time. However I’ve found on Roatan the sand flees are so bad.  Was infinity ok?  No bites?  We are taking our kids and grands  on a cruise here in June.  I want to take them someplace they won’t get eaten alive.  I’ve been bitten so badly on water island off St Thomas that I had to visit the ship doc for steroids.  

It was ok this time. I came back on the ship and something bit.

11 hours ago, sgmn said:

Met up with friends from college (50 years ago) yesterday 

Here's a photo of us at college, I'm the one in the middle. Very '70s 

CollegeGirls20230810_211037.jpg.c9d62bbb8b34596e15c2ea2757c11af3.jpg

Wonderful photo! You all look lovely! 
It must have been great being together again!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sgmn said:

Met up with friends from college (50 years ago) yesterday 

Here's a photo of us at college, I'm the one in the middle. Very '70s 

CollegeGirls20230810_211037.jpg.c9d62bbb8b34596e15c2ea2757c11af3.jpg

Love the picture, Sue!  How was your Reunion?

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

My grandson from here has to go to the school later today, because they want him in a video they are shooting for the school.  Maybe yesterday’s acting will help with his role today.

Sounds like a fun day with the kids writing and acting for their movie yesterday.  Bright and talented grandchildren, Mark!

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

A bit stressed?  I guess many of us have been in that situation.  When we were flying home from Italy, there was a delay in our flight, then a last minute change in the gate.  We just made our connection in Switzerland.  I feel like almost the entire plane was full of those of us running to our Swiss Air flight.  Literally, a large crowd of us all running to our plane.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Safe travels, Renee and Mike.  Enjoy Amsterdam, and your cruise next week!🚢

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We did Maya Key last time. However I’ve found on Roatan the sand flees are so bad.  Was infinity ok?  No bites?  We are taking our kids and grands  on a cruise here in June.  I want to take them someplace they won’t get eaten alive.  I’ve been bitten so badly on water island off St Thomas that I had to visit the ship doc for steroids.  

They're not really sand fleas or sand flies. They are biting midges, and they are all over the Caribbean and southern states. I've been bitten, just about everywhere, San Juan, St. Kitts, Roatan...

We stayed at our friends' house in Melbourne Beach, FL, and they were particularly bad there and in Louisiana and N. Carolina. 

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IN626

No see um bites.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Wonderful photo! You all look lovely! 
It must have been great being together again!

I was just going to post that we took your suggestion to eat at Playmakers for lunch today. Great food. Was not able to finish everything ordered. That onion ring tower...OMG.

8 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Last month, family members successfully walked the Larapinta Trail.  One of the great walks of Australia. 223km. Starts in Alice Springs in the Northern Territory and goes across the West MacDonell Ranges and finishes at Mount Sonder.  A challenging  walk with stunning scenery, flora & fauna that took them 20 days.  They did it themselves with pre-arranged food drops along the way.  I love the beauty of Central Australia and plan to do this as part of a paid walking group when I retire.

4991534B-100A-409A-834A-98839A03C399.thumb.jpeg.445e974c2fe03da70a816053447c1838.jpeg

8C1C4FBD-D84C-419A-89F7-5BA26335D005.thumb.jpeg.c5719960b4b3ce5745e8cf8812805325.jpeg

F6157DBB-52B1-4A72-AEC6-5F31E2884938.thumb.jpeg.40564bd0cfb1bbcb5f7e039dd40063c0.jpeg

353A52F0-0572-46FA-967C-AE4FE6E83418.thumb.jpeg.099d247224c6d02968efe6a8952815e5.jpeg

748F73E3-71DF-4513-B984-0CECE5C24BA9.thumb.jpeg.848c8f61c11c6587cf3d0a198aee3e89.jpeg

D0373186-14C3-4A86-B055-6CA161281CCF.thumb.jpeg.757387bae806a7afdbae9d5596e94a8f.jpeg

F29ABE93-7484-4298-9A26-ACEED4E4A0C6.thumb.jpeg.2cbddeb0e8816a09a6153b38fc1b810a.jpeg

0A02DD76-3B3C-4B0C-B2DB-54B4F0C935E1.thumb.jpeg.fdafe037cd91a73852862c9ea8766447.jpeg

0DDB23AE-27F5-490D-B639-9E50CE5B178E.thumb.jpeg.c50a2f95a5f4b3c7eecbbbe11e0caa17.jpeg

Awesome photos.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Coralc said:

They're not really sand fleas or sand flies. They are biting midges, and they are all over the Caribbean and southern states. I've been bitten, just about everywhere, San Juan, St. Kitts, Roatan...

We stayed at our friends' house in Melbourne Beach, FL, and they were particularly bad there and in Louisiana and N. Carolina. 

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IN626

No see um bites.JPG

Does bug spray with feet keep them away, if applied each time one gets out of the water??

4 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

Does bug spray with feet keep them away, if applied each time one gets out of the water??

With Deet? It is supposed to help. I was wearing Deep Woods Off, but I think I must have missed my feet. And I always seem to think that it is not going to happen on vacation, and then I get badly bitten. 

Supposedly, you build up a tolerance to the bites. But we aren't in bug country long enough to have that happen. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

With Deet? It is supposed to help. I was wearing Deep Woods Off, but I think I must have missed my feet. And I always seem to think that it is not going to happen on vacation, and then I get badly bitten. 

Yes, deet!!  😅 I suffer viciously from mosquito bites. I read recently that taking B3 helps. Am currently on a B time release multi. Will see.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 2