Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

47 minutes ago, George C said:

We board in about 4 hours , can see our ship celebrity summit from thr distance 

image.jpeg

Bon Voyage, safe travels.  Enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, George C said:

Where are you going on the Summit? I've not followed this thread for quite awhile. One of our favorite cruises used to be the Summit out of Bayonne up to Canada / NE. Perhaps those are itineraries never to be seen again since, as I've recently discussed in a different thread, they shifted them to roundtrip Boston.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Where are you going on the Summit? I've not followed this thread for quite awhile. One of our favorite cruises used to be the Summit out of Bayonne up to Canada / NE. Perhaps those are itineraries never to be seen again since, as I've recently discussed in a different thread, they shifted them to roundtrip Boston.

Only two ports on our 7 day cruise Aruba and Curaçao, this is a music charter with artists from the 70’s including Don McLean, Foreigner, Randy Backman, Dave Mason , Cowsills etc etc ,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Only two ports on our 7 day cruise Aruba and Curaçao, this is a music charter with artists from the 70’s including Don McLean, Foreigner, Randy Backman, Dave Mason , Cowsills etc etc ,

If you want, feel free to post a few pics with you and the artists. 

It sounds like an interesting and different kind of cruise.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Anyone have plans for viewing the eclipse next month? We made reservations at a hotel in Geneva, NY since it's in the path of totality. Here's a really cool site to check it out:  https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/where-when

Thanks, I was just talking to someone recently about eclipse.   My brother-in-law lives in that area and as luck would have it, he's currently wintering in South Carolina thru the end of April. I wonder if I can use his house? 🙂

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Anyone have plans for viewing the eclipse next month? We made reservations at a hotel in Geneva, NY since it's in the path of totality. Here's a really cool site to check it out:  https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/where-when

We are supposed to have a great view from Dallas will buy the glasses needed before hand.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, George C said:

great view from Dallas

Absolutely! You get nearly 4 minutes of totality there.  Have to be prepared for LOTS of people wherever we all are (in the path anyway). Traveling on the eclipse day could be tough in many areas.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, George C said:

music charter

So what happens on these. Nightly concerts in the theatre by individual bands / artists - or even more frequently during the day at various places around the ship? Quite an extensive line-up for just 7 days. Sounds cool.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Whereabouts does he live in NY?  

In the Finger Lakes region, probably 20 minutes outside Geneva.  That's what caught my attention in your post.  Enjoy, Geneva is a cute little town as you probably know already since you booked a hotel there.  In case you haven't seen this already

https://www.eclipsegeneva.com/eclipseviewing

Belhurst Castle would make for a great place to stay & view.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Belhurst Castle would make for a great place to stay & view.

For sure, and super expensive also! We've passed it many times during our drives up that way. Most hotels are charging double / triple their usual rate. Can't blame 'em. Right now I have two places booked being that the first I considered turns out to not be in the path. That one's on Keuka Lake. 99.5% - still really good, but we figure if we're going to do this might as well go for totality. So I'm sitting on both reservations for now, but will likely cancel Keuka.

That Geneva link is great. Thanks!  Those public areas are gonna be jammed. Best to just hang out at the hotel and see how things are there. Just hope this event (nationwide) doesn't bring out the crazies, especially of the gun-happy sort. A bit concerned about that. "Eclipse crawl"??  Amazing!!  Some of the activities taking place are really cool.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

The easiest and cheapest location for us. 

We are near  the middle of the path as the darkness transverses across of Ohio.

And will experience darkness. 

Our backyard. 

But already invited to neighboring parties. 

The weather that day will determine our location. 

Many hotels are offering blackout all inclusive parties. 

That should be entertaining. 

Be safe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

image.jpeg

I like your  view.  Enjoy your cruise.  I know you will because you’ve said how much you enjoy them 🎸🎤🎶

• Like 1

Dallas is in the direct path. Specifically mentioned I think was Arlington, a city near dfw, but still close enough I assume we can see it. Schools will be closed and eye glasses handed out someone is subsidizing.

11 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Our backyard. 

I wish! I wouldn't dream of going ANYwhere if we lived in the path. Not looking forward to crowds and traffic. Despite the undeniable nature of this once-in-a-lifetime celestial event, it's really not our sort of thing from the standpoint of the number of people it'll attract. Almost has a Woodstock sort of feel to it.

Edited by OnTheJourney

14 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Be safe. 

That's the part that quite frankly worries me a bit. This event will unfortunately bring out the undesirable elements of our society.

After all the money spent on planning, preparing merchandise, etc. wouldn't it be a bust if the weather does not cooperate?!?

For sure, and super expensive also! We've passed it many times during our drives up that way. Most hotels are charging double / triple their usual rate. Can't blame 'em. Right now I have two places booked being that the first I considered turns out to not be in the path. That one's on Keuka Lake. 99.5% - still really good, but we figure if we're going to do this might as well go for totality. So I'm sitting on both reservations for now, but will likely cancel Keuka.

That Geneva link is great. Thanks!  Those public areas are gonna be jammed. Best to just hang out at the hotel and see how things are there. Just hope this event (nationwide) doesn't bring out the crazies, especially of the gun-happy sort. A bit concerned about that. "Eclipse crawl"??  Amazing!!  Some of the activities taking place are really cool.

They certainly do seem to be making the most of it & as you said, can't blame them. Last total solar eclipse in NY for the next 130 years.  Hopefully your hotel will have a viewing party or at least in close walking distance to someplace that does.

Make sure to get your "Embrace The Dark" t-shirt. Although I think it would be better if the t-shirts said "I stared at the sun and survived" as stated in one of the flyers on that link. 

EDIT: And as for Belhurst Castle, beautiful grounds and building, great restaurant but I'm not a fan of their wine. Personal presence.  I've never stayed there but have gone to view 4th of July fireworks over the lake.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

Sounds like a great cruise!  Two of our favorite ports.  Have fun!

• Like 1

The path of the eclipse goes directly over our town.  The church we attend sits on top of one of the highest areas around.   We are inviting anyone to join us and making it a fun event.   Sharon's DB and mom are coming from Alabama to join us.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Anyone have plans for viewing the eclipse next month?

We will be on the Discovery Princess leaving out of Los Angeles.

Mazatlan @ 1:00 on the day of the eclipse will be ground zero.

Barring a major rain storm or huge cloud cover, the captain is planning to sail around that day to get us the best position for viewing the eclipse. Even though some people are bringing their own, Princess is planning to provide viewing glasses for all passengers.

• Like 4