Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

1987. I don't know if you can call it "computer", though. It was a "computer" manufactured by Wang Laboratories -- actually a whole word processor. I thoroughly enjoyed working with it. At the time, WordPerfect was Wang's competitor.

A "'real" computer came at the beginning of the nineties, an IBM 286. We bought an "internet" hourly package, and were very thrifty with the time we used it -- mainly for travel.

Then came 386, 486 and afterwards -- no more numbers, just names, which I don't remember...

My first computer at home was in 1984 and the first computer that I used when working was in 1986.

35 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Biggest discrimination in the job market is age.😒

You're so right, Bonnie 😢

DH was "downsized" at the age of 58, after working for the same company for 37 years (finished his army service on Tuesday, started on Wednesday.... someone who served with him at the same unit brought him in... in those times, it was enough that you said: "I know him, he's OK" 😁)

He tried, in vain, to find another place of work. He didn't. He is "at home" from 2008....

After a few years "together", I've decided to look for a job "outside" (I was working as a free lance at home all those years). When I've mentioned my DOB (over 60 at the time) -- nothing.

When I omitted it -- got plenty of replies with my qualifications... but, then, I've raised the issue of my age, and "ohh, we'll get back to you"....

Sad, but true.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Which takes us back again to my one post...how long will all this music endure? Everytime I prepare my church organ preludes by Bach, Mozart, etc. it gets me to thinking about pop music longevity as opposed to some of those classical periods. 

My father listened to Glenn Miller.I like some of that music from the 30’s.

I have a neighbor who is a Doo Wop singer .He starting singing professionally in 1959.There are still hundreds of people at his concerts.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is in my top 10.

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My first computer at home was in 1984 and the first computer that I used when working was in 1986.

Lenny, would you pls. try to "multi-quote" like me ?

I'm afraid that posters are beginning to dread 10 new pages every day, and some of them will just give up.

I really don't want to break any record of the "longest thread" and I'm in no competition with anyone....

A BIG THANKS !!! 🌷

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Blowin' In the Wind is good... when sung by anyone other that Dylan. I also, for some reason, really like You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. I think more just the sound of it as the lyrics are somewhat strange.

My favorite Dylan song keeps changing 

Things have changed- he won academy award for that

All along the watchtower- favorite cover by Jimi Hendrix 

make me feel your love - covers by  Billy Joel, Garth Brooks and Adele 

43 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

With all the SS talk I am thinking someone might be able to answer a question or two.  I am highly considering starting my SS soon.  I plan to do it online.  If you apply on line does it give you an option to choose when the first payment  starts or do they look at the application and it starts automatically after they approve it.  I have been putting off applying so it doesn’t start right away.  I have a ss account opened already.  It gives estimates on how much I will draw.  If my research is correct the estimates at this time does not include the 5.9% COL. It sounds like that will not be included in the estimates and payments until after December.  Sound correct?

Just dropping in, taking a break from the...................................

Let me just say that 2 1/2 years ago I signed up for SS well after my 62 birthday.

We have enough in savings and such, and I did not know if I wanted to work per deim and then I would exceed the max I could earn in 2 months and then have to pay back.

Well,  eventually I realized life is too short so, I stopped working and  I went and completed all the forms on line and SS verified and stated my first payment would be in 2 months if  get this...........

I had to report to the SS office in Trumbull county with the one form that would not be accepted online, that being, what percent of taxes do I want withheld.

This was Pre-Coved.

I showed up at my scheduled appointment time and checked in on the computer, and it prints me out a number tag...........................36, um they were on 9, and I had an appointment.

After they dealt with those on disability and whatevers (much younger than me) I finally got to talk to a very unfriendly worker at a window to hand in my paper almost an hour after my scheduled appointment.

(Not discreet he speaks loudly so all in the room could hear)  Then he goes, why did you wait so long to start your payments you lost 8 months of payments........I started to talk and he said "Your done, anything else?"  I gave him the look and had there not been a security guard there I would have got on my broom and told him how unhappy I was with his lack of unprofessional-ism.

One paper, took all that time.

So I now get my deposit on a Wednesday the middle of the month, which was today.

And tonight we have a representative of benefits coming over to evaluate our insurance situation and offer insight on Plan B, or stick on my DH's dental, optical, script and whatever.

It is what it is.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

A few short years ago when I was laid off from my job and started looking for employment, an employment counselor told me to ditch the aol email since it's like I'm wearing a sign that proclaims "I am over 50".  I still have my aol email but created a gmail account for job searches.  Biggest discrimination in the job market is age.😒

Same for me. I was told to ditch my Yahoo email account for the same reason. And I thought Yahoo email was more hip than AOL. 😉

But that was fine. Yahoo email was "upgraded" and started to suck anyways. I was happy to stop using it. The biggest issue was having everything I needed redirected to my new gmail. Kind of like when you move but there is no friendly post office to help.

BTW, spelling it "e-mail" instead of "email" is also a sure sign of age. So I'm told.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

DH was "downsized" at the age of 58, after working for the same company for 37 years (finished his army service on Tuesday, started on Wednesday.... someone who served with him at the same unit brought him in... in those times, it was enough that you said: "I know him, he's OK" 😁)

He tried, in vain, to find another place of work. He didn't. He is "at home" from 2008....

After a few years "together", I've decided to look for a job "outside" (I was working as a free lance at home all those years). When I've mentioned my DOB (over 60 at the time) -- nothing.

When I omitted it -- got plenty of replies with my qualifications... but, then, I've raised the issue of my age, and "ohh, we'll get back to you"....

Sad, but true.

I was also a victim of age discrimination, actually had a small lawsuit which is almost impossible to win in Texas since the laws favor the corporation. I know from my HR wife that’s it’s illegal to even ask your age here. She wants to retire but looking for a large package, good thing is she knows all the packages that others have got, she also has been told if she retires they want her as a consultant. She has been there for over 20 years.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I seem to remember that Pat ( @island lady) had some good advice re: when to start SS.... something along the lines of "when is your birthday"...

May be she could chime in?

Thanks. I fell good about starting soon, I just can’t figure out how long it takes for the application.  Example, if I want payments to start in March do I have the option to apply now but hold the start until March.  Or if I want to start January do I need to apply now because it will take two months to process.  I guess my question is when to apply and how long is the process.  If I put off SS to long, I will have to limit cruising! 😳 😮 😯 and we all know what that would be like! 

What I like about our state is that they don’t tax SS.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Some times I'm surprised just how many of today's kids enjoy listening to the Beatles or Motown and some of those songs are approaching 60 years old.

To put it in perspective, when I was their age in the 1970's, I certainly did not listen to 1910's music.  So depending on the artist, yes, some of today's (i.e. our lifetime) pop music will stand the test of time.

EDIT TO ADD: My last music class I took in high school (circa 1980), in addition to studying Mozart, Bach, etc, we studied The Who's TOMMY as it was considered the first rock opera.  I wonder if that is still part of the curriculum?

I listen to the Big Band music of the 30’s .I have a Beethoven LP in my house.

I listen to some 50’s music at times .I just enjoy Classic Rock the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Don't sweat it. Everyone gets chastised online at least once. 🙃  If not, then they are doing something wrong.  😁

My first home computer? It was a DELL (not to be confused with the singer), one of their tall, beige tower computers with a giant 17 inch CRT monitor that took up half of my desk. I want to say I purchased it in mid-1990's (94-96), online from work, and it could have been customized a dozen different ways. I spent extra for larger monitor, printer, and faster Pentium chip but skimped on memory and on the CD drive (read only, not write so I couldn't "rip" CD's with stolen music from Napster). Oh, I think I spent more to get the 56.6K modem but my phone company only gave me speeds up to 33K so that was a waste of money.  A couple of years later, we went to high speed cable.  The first "chat" room or bulletin  board I joined was a hockey site.

My first computer experience was in 1982 was at a local community college taking courses in Computer Programming (as App Developers / Systems Engineers were called back then) and my first "real" job in the corporate world working on an IBM mainframe several years later.

The first chat room I joined was from my HS that was in 1999.I reconnected with many people.

In case you missed the college football game last night where Miami of Ohio beat Bowling Green state university here’s a picture of the SIL one of the strength and conditioning coaches. It was mixed emotions for both my daughter and Brandon since they both graduated from Bowling Green and now are rooting for Miami. 

You got it. 

It is what it is. 

B44CC9AE-2CD2-47E0-817F-9FA5521ACEF8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

A few short years ago when I was laid off from my job and started looking for employment, an employment counselor told me to ditch the aol email since it's like I'm wearing a sign that proclaims "I am over 50".  I still have my aol email but created a gmail account for job searches.  Biggest discrimination in the job market is age.😒

My 30 something daughter smirks that I still use my aol email.

My boss at my next to last job told me he would not have hired me if he knew I was in my 50’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Your 65 something CC buddy smirked when he read this.  😆 A long time ago I started a website.  I shut it down a couple years ago.  The main reason I left it open so long is because I liked the email function it provided.  I had at least 50 separate email accounts.  For instance, when setting up a CC account I would make a new email account like CC@website.com.  When I ordered from Amazon I made Amazon@website.com.  This helped me see who sold my email account to spammers and it was easy to block.  When I closed it down I opened a new Gmail account and changed the old email accounts to the new Gmail account.  That was a challenge.  

Many years ago a friend set up a web site .She asked some friends and relatives to send her pictures.That was the only time a picture of me was on line.The website closed about 15 years ago but somehow the pictures were still there when I found the site a few years ago.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I listen to the Big Band music of the 30’s .I have a Beethoven LP in my house.

I listen to some 50’s music at times .I just enjoy Classic Rock the most.

Can we add Glen Miller & The Andrew Sisters to the list of timeless performers?

Here is my favorite Andrews sister song, as performed by Katy Perry. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDa5X_kQYsE

Then there are "The Standards:: Dean, Frank, Bing to name a few.  They are considered Standard for a reason. And maybe Harry Connick?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Sad, but true.

I was downsized 6 weeks short of 25 years because at that level I would have received a gold watch.The company began in 1920 and only one person made it to 25 years.I was 53 at the time I found another job 9 months later but it was a horrible place to work and I left after 3 months.Eight months later I found another job and was downsized after a year.A friend of mine owned an Advertising company.He asked me to join the company.I knew absolutely nothing about Advertising .He told me that nobody working there had an advertising background.Since he was a really close friend I decided to try it.I worked there 5 years and then retired.Now I spend the majority of the time posting on CC.

• Like 2

Lenny, would you pls. try to "multi-quote" like me ?

I'm afraid that posters are beginning to dread 10 new pages every day, and some of them will just give up.

I really don't want to break any record of the "longest thread" and I'm in no competition with anyone....

A BIG THANKS !!! 🌷

I cannot seem to be able to do it.

I agree. I'm surely guilty of posting too many times rather than mulit-quoting. I can't imagine the storage capactiy of CC, as well as photo sites, etc. The paper / hard copy equivalent of warehouses full of stuff. I, for one, will try to refrain from posting a single entry. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

With all the SS talk I am thinking someone might be able to answer a question or two.  I am highly considering starting my SS soon.  I plan to do it online.  If you apply on line does it give you an option to choose when the first payment  starts or do they look at the application and it starts automatically after they approve it.  I have been putting off applying so it doesn’t start right away.  I have a ss account opened already.  It gives estimates on how much I will draw.  If my research is correct the estimates at this time does not include the 5.9% COL. It sounds like that will not be included in the estimates and payments until after December.  Sound correct?

Here’s how it worked for me.  I turned 62 in March of 2019 and decided to start collecting then.  I filed online, thinking I’d get my first payment in April.  However, I was “eligible” the month after turning 62 (April) but your first payment isn’t until the month after you are “eligible”.  Okay, so now I’m thinking May 1st.  Nope, it depends on what day of the month your birthday falls on.  Mine is the 21st, therefore my first payment wasn’t until May 28th!  My payments are direct deposited anytime from the 26th to the 30th of each month.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have too many Dylan songs that I really like to choose an all time favorite.

I have that problem with a lot of other solo singers or bands. 

Speaking of solo singers and bands did you or anyone else see the documentary series about secession bands on AXS TV about the "Wrecking Crew", "Mussel Shoals (the Swappers)", and the "Funk Brothers"? Fantastic and interesting little series. 

Edited by davekathy