Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Greg, a good night sleep is priceless 😁 So glad you starting to feel better and “reap” the surgery’s results.

I had a really frustrating morning trying to book online the tallest building in the world. I’m not good with the small keyboard on the IPhone, and they allow you only 5 mins to complete the booking, while asking many questions… and offering, along the way, additional things… So I’ve timed out several times. And by the time I’ve learned how to bypass their tricks, my cc alerts me about the transaction (hello, we’re talking 100$ here….) and is sending me a 6 digits code… timed out again…

Housekeeping, at noon, asks politely if we need something…

We decide to try again after seeing a must-see sight and leave the room.

After seeing “the Frame” (pic to follow), I decide on a new strategy… filling the details on my IPhone, but with DH details, so that “the code” will appear on his mobile. It works. Credit approved…. turning, turning, turning….. “booking failed”. WTH??

Plan C. Finish our”work” day and take the metro to the building and buy “on site” for tomorrow. Long story short, after walking miles underground (reminds me of Charring Cross or Pl de la Concorde), NOBODY could show us where to go… 

I think this building is trying very hard to tell us something….

For now, the Burj Al Khalifa at night, from OUTSIDE….

Beside the “frustration”, we’ve seen the Frame, visited the old city, and browsed saffron and gold in the spices and gold markets, crossing the river between the old city and the “shouts” with an ancient boat named Abra.

• Like 19

52 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone sailing now or sailing from Miami see the New Cruise Line sailing from Miami.

Virgin Cruise Line?

They have been running commercials on our local TV  station here. The ship looks fantastic, really large and beautiful. Has anyone seen this ship at any of the ports you have been to recently? If so any pictures?   No kids !

Our son works for them, in the corporate office. Of course he loves them but we haven't had the chance to cruise with them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Our son works for them, in the corporate office. Of course he loves them but we haven't had the chance to cruise with them. 

I would like to try Virgin since it is adults only, last time I checked it was just doing shorter cruises less than 7 days . Our music charter next week on Celebrity is also adults only.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Unbelievable! 
I always shudder to think of the construction workers erecting those buildings! 
And the architects that dreamed them up, but then had to make them possible!

Spice bazaars are fun. Saffron would be unbelievably expensive anywhere, but fun to look at the price!

What a wonderful escape from winter you’re having!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2004corvette said:

Allegiant Airlines headquartered in Las Vegas (a no-frills carrier with excellent pricing) has flights out of Richmond, VA flying into Tampa-Clearwater, Sarasota and i believe Miami, along with many other US cities

Have used them 3 times and very satisfied.

happy flying....

Scott

We have Allegiant here too.  The downside is usually they fly two  days a week.  If you flight is cancelled you have a choice drive to the port or miss your cruise or book last minute tickets elsewhere.  

16 minutes ago, George C said:

Our music charter next week on Celebrity is also adults only.

For the most part, there are usually very few kids on Celebrity. In fact, I don’t remember seeing any on our last couple Celebrity sailings. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Looks interesting..  Might be worth a try for something different.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

For the most part, there are usually very few kids on Celebrity. In fact, I don’t remember seeing any on our last couple Celebrity sailings. 

There were definitely some on our July Edge cruise but nothing like rccl.

• Like 1

Dani

Thank you for posting  photos from Dubai. The topiaries in the gardens were impressive !

Could you tell me the purpose of The Frame? Is it decorative architecture? I think that there is a similarly designed structure in Paris that is actually,an office building.

I hope you and your hubby continue to enjoy your holiday.

MJ 🙋🏻

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm interested also, especially if the mystery part of the movie is good.  I love a really good mystery with plot twists.  I liked Murder on the Orient Express.  They've got a wealth of books from which to choose if they want to keep making more Poirot movies. 

I've yet to see a movie made from a book that really stays true to the book.  I don't know if it's just too hard to put into pictures what a good author can do with words, or if the temptation to change things and take advantage of what video can deliver is just too great.  The Harry Potter movies may be the closest that I can remember.  Must be an interesting dilemma for an author (if they are involved) watching his/her story getting changed for better box office returns.

The Light Between Oceans by LM Stedman was a  emotional read about a lighthouse keeper & his wife.  The film adaptation starred Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Rachel Weiss and was very well done and was true to the book.

That’s the only one that springs to mind though.

33 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Looks interesting..  Might be worth a try for something different.

We will definitely try it but we have too many other things going on right now. Our son has cruised a few times including both trans Atlantic. He leaves next week to help with Valiant Lady.

• Like 5

@Jimbo

Regarding info about Virgin cruises- have you looked here on the CC home page where it lists Cruises from P-Z? 

You will find some reviews of the Virgin cruises and people posting questions and answers about the cruise line.

You could also read various Roll Call entries in the Roll Call category on the home page.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4

@dani negreanulovely photos and video.  I hope you have success obtaining the tickets.  Sounds almost as difficult as trying to get Glastonbury tickets.
I only started watching the MissionImpossible series after watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.  Son & I have watched it multiple times and that scene in the Burj Khalifa has me on the edge of my seat every time.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone sailing now or sailing from Miami see the New Cruise Line sailing from Miami.

Virgin Cruise Line?

They have been running commercials on our local TV  station here. The ship looks fantastic, really large and beautiful. Has anyone seen this ship at any of the ports you have been to recently? If so any pictures?   No kids !

Emma Cruises does a great "What I hated and what I loved" review on you tube about her cruise on Scarlet Lady.

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious where in Virginia you are from and what Airport you use for flying to Florida.  We have yet to fly anywhere since we moved to Virginia and what Airport would be the one to fly from? We are in Southwest Virginia and Roanoke is closest but prices are really high, I think the next closest is Charlotte but tghat 2 hours away, Washington/Baltimore is even farther away.

We're in No VA about 5 miles from Dulles Airport.  Dulles is closer to you than BWI (Baltimore) or even Reagan National (DC).   But Dulles is still over three hours from Roanoke.  You just happen to live in an area that doesn't have a large airport with lots of options.   Can I ask why you moved where you did?  SW VA is so rural.  Charlotte is probably your best bet.  I have friends that drive over an hour to Baltimore to save money on fares to some locations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

OK, Graham, now tell us what we missed!

Everything looks delicious, but I can’t Gus’s what it is!

Lobster starter.

Seabass main and pork main followed by coconut and nougat ice-cream and fruit salad with raspberry ice cream 

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

We have Allegiant here too.  The downside is usually they fly two  days a week.  If you flight is cancelled you have a choice drive to the port or miss your cruise or book last minute tickets elsewhere.  

I had to book last minute with Southwest when JetBlue cancelled my flight home after my cruise. It was not a pretty price. I have flown round trip to London for what I paid to get home.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lobster starter.

Seabass main and pork main followed by coconut and nougat ice-cream and fruit salad with raspberry ice cream 

Graham.

Are you in in Spain again?   Good news from today no tests at all to come home .

We haven't been abroad for 2 years and 2 months now and desperate for some warm sun 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

OK, Graham, now tell us what we missed!

Everything looks delicious, but I can’t Gus’s what it is!

Can’t Gus’s???

Fat Finger Syndrome strikes again!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

As Dorthy said “There’s no place like home,” and that’s really true for me today.

4037A8E9-4707-4F00-A6EA-A28B25640F42.thumb.jpeg.d908571a39ba19e2d4fd68af9babb1db.jpeg

I was really tired and sore after my morning PT, so after Linda got me settled in on the couch and hooked up to my cold therapy machine, I was ready for nap with the puppies who gave me  lots of kisses. Then Lizzy snuggled next to my face.

30964C8B-297F-4445-B972-665A11FE6040.thumb.jpeg.2e3c48fb6acb38694446d906aeb26950.jpeg

Charlie made a good decision and laid on the other side of my good leg.

BDEFF4CE-12A4-435F-9CBB-DDCFCB0FF51D.thumb.jpeg.14281c586ab3b816475b9fbf8e8bab23.jpeg

Thanks to the pill Tramadol we snoozed.and snoozed. Great to be home. Thanks to everyone for their care and well wishes.

6BC8C288-E7A2-4456-AE41-4038BC900541.thumb.jpeg.737ea8b1b914c7bf1c5985378acc8c2e.jpeg

• Like 36