Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, Luckynana said:

Congratulations to your niece.  Very impressive!

Three of our grandchildren shoot with a bow and arrow, and the same three go to the shooting range and shoot 22's.

Thank you Bob for posting this!!

BJ's also has some raised bed planters of similar size.  We looked at them while we were there this weekend.  They are brown woven plastic and were $99.99.

We are actually going to make some raised planters out of pallets.  Many businesses around us put full pallets out at the curb for free.  There are lots of websites that show how to make something really easily.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

BJ's also has some raised bed planters of similar size.  We looked at them while we were there this weekend.  They are brown woven plastic and were $99.99.

We are actually going to make some raised planters out of pallets.  Many businesses around us put full pallets out at the curb for free.  There are lots of websites that show how to make something really easily.

Thank you for that!  Good idea about making the planters out of pallets.  I know just the place to find the pallets in town.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

People from New England are pretty private . OB should just give himself a pseudonym like Anthony . 

There are two people who are CC regulars who have a first and last name on their avatars.These are characters in movies.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You and a few others on this thread have posted enough information to easily find someone's full name and more.  It is very naive to think the only people reading this thread are those that post.  

Some of us prefer not to use our names and should not have to justify why.

Agree with you 💯.  I think it’s time to put this topic to rest and respect those who wish to keep some information private.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

OB works fine for me.  That's all I need to know.

Online privacy is VERY important.  With a little bit of effort, I could probably find a lot of personal info about many people here, based on the limited info that has been shared.  Your house address, when you bought your house and how much you paid, what you pay each year in property taxes (all public record), your phone number(s), your email addresses, your personal interests (social media), possibly your professional history and contacts (LinkedIn). If you aren't careful with usernames and passwords, I might even be able to get into your financial, utilities, and other online accounts.  Or even post something damaging to you from one of your own social media accounts, as if you had posted it yourself.  If it sounds like I'm exaggerating, I'm not.  It's called Social Engineering.  Put together a few seemingly meaningless bits of info to learn something a little more important, and then leverage that new piece of info to learn something even more important, etc.  Check out this "vishing" video from 5 years ago.  Tools and techniques have further improved in the last 5 years.

What you say is true but definitely not from only posting a first name of a person who we only know a profession and the state in which the person lives.

Let us say for insurance that he posted the city he lives in and that was a small town I would agree that nobody should list their first name but he has not stated the town he lives in .

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow!  I'm impressed by all his bananas.   How many banana trees does he have?  

Coffee bean tree intrigues me.   I thought they grew on bushes.    What type of coffee bean is it?

He has 5 banana trees.  I will take a photo of the coffee bean tree/bush next time visit.  It’s so tall, I called it a tree. Not sure on the type.  I will ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

definitely happening fast! My head is spinning!

I do plan to write a trip report...I'm not sure if I'll just put it on my blog this time since it's two different countries?

here's our tentative agenda for France....we're leaving it open for flexibility and not counting anything as set in stone besides the 3 day trips

France.PNG

I was going to mention Angelina’s and there it is on August 7 

I absolutely love the hot chocolate. I don’t care how expensive, my favorite souvenir is Angelina’s Hot Chocolate mix. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@bobmacliberty

image.png.0019e0d5dab4dfcfd70ab1b477171e2c.png

What are you trying to do, tempt me to start another gardening project?  Like Debbie said, don’t have to bend over etc and also less likely animals in it.  

Speaking of animals in the garden, Dad was very excited that he has avocados this year but that excitement has turned to frustration.  The possums have gotten to them just before they ripen but more annoyingly, they take one bite, discover they are not ripe and drop them.  In the mornings he will find an avocado on the ground with a single bite in it.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

For me it can be different each time but first it’s time periods to work around family events.  We then will list several cruises and narrow down.  The ship size is important, there are a couple places we try to avoid,  reasonable prices.  Last January we just wanted to cruise and figured the likelihood of port cancellations were high so we were not to concerned with the itinerary.  We would be cruising from Hawaii this week if it wasn’t canceled.  Our upcoming Alaska cruise was more itinerary.  Sharon wants to visit Sitka.  I think because of the movie,  The Proposal.  When restrictions loosen we will be wanting to explore different parts of the world. That was are dream a couple years ago.

Not trying to spoil it for Sharon but does she know those scenes weren’t actually filmed in Sitka?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

He is a beautiful dog on the outside.  He just doesn’t care if he is told no, or down, or …….  Then there is the crying if he doesn’t get his way.  We did two nice walks on a greenways trail this weekend.  That means he has to wear the Gentle leader collar, so I have complete control.  He hates it.  So, for 10 minutes driving to the trail he whimpers in the back seat of the Gladiator.  He is fearless, and he really needs to fear…. ME!!!  

JC

Our Max was a terrible barker in the car especially when we stopped at traffic lights.  Now, after 2 years, he has changed to whimpering for the first couple of streets.  We think it’s excitement whimpering.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Speaking of animals in the garden, Dad was very excited that he has avocados this year but that excitement has turned to frustration.  The possums have gotten to them just before they ripen but more annoyingly, they take one bite, discover they are not ripe and drop them.  In the mornings he will find an avocado on the ground with a single bite in it.

Those buggers😁

Has you Dad tried a net over his fruit trees?   Something like this works great on our cherry tree and our blueberry bushes to keep birds from eating them.    The same concept should work to keep other critters from eating his avocados. 

image.png.88a14ee4847e7dfa1d86d8ee56a2f076.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Just popping in to post, have  many pages to catch up on.

It was a long weekend and Carrie is going down hill rapidly.

She can only walk one or two steps without falling down.

We got her to drink some water yesterday and she did use her litter box once to P, we lifted her in and out.

I made videos of her, patiently waiting for her to look like her old self to send to her mom our DD, and she understands how sick she became rapidly  I want her to remember the cute Kittie she raised not remembering this time as she is sick..  She can still see how she looks so sick, with the sadness in her cat eyes.  The earliest Christina can travel home is Sunday, but then it will be too late.  At least she does not have to go through this and remember happy times.

But what was truly amazing is this morning  we found her in her cat "hut" that she used to sleep in as a kitten (we have her sleeping in the downstairs family room) (no stairs that she can fall down on) , that opens to storage and the hut was on the ground in a corner of the utility side) , it comforted her then and I think she feels safe there.

So now that I am home all day, she is in the kitchen with me, hut and all.

Were were able to take turns holding and cuddling her all weekend, so hard to leave her alone.

She has turned into a skinny girl, and it hurts to now feel her bones, more and more.

Today, she just cries and does not want held.

So, reluctantly it was hard, but the DH called the vet to make an appointment to.............................

They are booked solid with surgeries and cannot help her till Wednesday, but if we would like to drop her off and come back they would do it during down time.

But, that is not an option.

I will not let her be alone, It is hard but, we will be by her side through this.

She sleeps about 3 hours gets up, takes a step or two and goes back to sleep for hours.

Every so often she cries, I cry.

But when she sleeps, she looks like the cute Carrie we all know to love.

In Closing

I hope all are well and will catch up when I can.

Take care

Be safe.

Crying in OHIO

This brought tears to my eyes.  Our pets give us so much joy and unconditional love, it’s heartbreaking seeing them like this.  So sorry you are going through this. Have been there more than once and yes you want to be with them at the end.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You make a very good point and why I don't reveal when we are cruising until I get back home.

I know some UK Insurance loss adjusters check social media accounts of people who make burglary claims to see if they have been advertising they are away from home.

I only post on CC and sometimes TripAdvisor when we get home.

Graham.

Yes, I assumed that was the reason for radio silence from you in the past.  My colleague also does not post about her cruises until her return for the exact same reason.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Those buggers😁

Has you Dad tried a net over his fruit trees?   Something like this works great on our cherry tree and our blueberry bushes to keep birds from eating them.    The same concept should work to keep other critters from eating his avocados. 

image.png.88a14ee4847e7dfa1d86d8ee56a2f076.png

He does that for his large orange tree to save it from the birds.  I did suggest the same for his avocado tree.  He is thinking about it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I know some UK Insurance loss adjusters check social media accounts of people who make burglary claims to see if they have been advertising they are away from home.

Very wise decision.

Same here, though living in an apartment building is just a tiny bit safer than a house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Very wise decision.

Same here, though living in an apartment building is just a tiny bit safer than a house.

Thank you Dani.

We have intruder alarms and CCTV cameras around the outside of our house which I can watch anywhere in the world on my mobile phone.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

One of the two raised planting beds that Micheline ordered arrived a couple of hours ago.  I took a quick ride to Ace Hardware to see if I could replace the bolts/nuts/screws that came with it and use stainless steel versions instead, due to the salt air.  They didn't have everything I needed and it would have cost me $50+ to replace all hardware for both planting beds, so I decided to assemble it with the hardware that came with it.  I can take it apart and replace everything in a couple of years if needed.

It came in a flat pack box that included legs, side panels, end panels, floor panels, and some landscaping fabric.  The panels were all pre-assembled with holes pre-drilled, so assembly was fairly easy.  The second planting bed should be here tomorrow.  I'll put it together (after playing golf 😁) and we'll put them in their place and fill with dirt.  I think the idea is to plant herbs, but Micheline may play with a few more things.  There's not a lot of space.  Each bed is 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep.

IMG_8726.thumb.jpg.f32793ff175f8dd6158875adcf0a2a2d.jpg

IMG_8727.thumb.jpg.d5f44d81dfc519b729ecef38c1d90f91.jpg

IMG_8730.thumb.jpg.669646bf55bd8cc61e98f0407ed238f8.jpg

• Like 15

If we had outdoor CCTV it would show up the neighbours cat, the brush turkeys and Max chasing every single plane that flys over our property and being an excellent guard dog that alerts our neighbours to anyone approaching our property.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

love that city! What’s your plan for today?

Been here many times. Just going to walk around OSJ. Maybe go to the forts to see if any new parts have opened since I last visited. I'm a huge fort fan. I really enjoy return visits to ports as I don't feel like I'm on a mission to accomplish things. This entire cruise has no missions to accomplish other than relax. My first visit to a new port can be grueling. Have to get in as much as possible as you don't ever know if you will get a second chance.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

So, reluctantly it was hard, but the DH called the vet to make an appointment to.............................

They are booked solid with surgeries and cannot help her till Wednesday, but if we would like to drop her off and come back they would do it during down time.

But, that is not an option.

I will not let her be alone, It is hard but, we will be by her side through this.

I already made my comment about vets. When a patient of mine has an urgent problem and the day is booked up I stay longer. It actually disgusts me that they would recommend you just drop your cat off. 

• Like 15