Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I watched Breaking Bad when it first came out on AMC. I consider it one of the best shows ever on TV - be it regular networks, cable or streaming

I totally agree with this and I have seen a lot of television. Not only the performances of Cranston and Paul incredible the real star was it's creator Vince Gilligan. The unique shots of perspective and editing were the most creative I've ever seen on television and it carries over in "Better Call Saul."

My only other favorite incredible series were "The Sopranos" and "Band of Brothers."

11 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Greg, It looks like your fear of possibly not liking alcohol anymore, (when you were on your pain meds), has subsided. LOL 😂🍸🍾

Yes it has and I must say I like the happy  feeling of a alcohol buzz better than the out of it, drugged out feeling of pain meds. I'm so much more upbeat with a cocktail. 

Cheers!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I totally agree with this and I have seen a lot of television. Not only the performances of Cranston and Paul incredible the real star was it's creator Vince Gilligan. The unique shots of perspective and editing were the most creative I've ever seen on television and it carries over in "Better Call Saul."

My only other favorite incredible series were "The Sopranos" and "Band of Brothers."

Yes it has and I must say I like the happy  feeling of a alcohol buzz better than the out of it, drugged out feeling of pain meds. I'm so much more upbeat with a cocktail. 

Cheers!!

My favorite actor on Better Call Saul is Michael Mando who portrays Nacho.The interesting thing about him is that his native language is French.His first foray into acting was in Shakesperian productions as a student at the University of Montreal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

The hospital bill for .Charlie’s week-long stay came today.  Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say!

The amounts that hospitals and many doctors charge is unreal.I say thank goodness for insurance whenever my many bills are paid.If I did not have insurance or if health insurance did not exist I have no idea where I would be now.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Very cool art!

I got a part time job, 2 days a week, receptionist in a Memory Care facility.  As difficult as it is to see people in the condition they are in now, I know they're in a caring, safe environment.  I don't have much interaction with the residents but when I do, I smile, say hello, ask how they are. Sadly, although some can't answer, they do seem appreciative.  A pat on the shoulder and a smile goes a long way.

One lovely man is at the beginning stages of dementia.  Unfortunately, he knows how he will eventually wind up. I told him to come talk to me whenever he wants, since he enjoys our chats.  He loves hearing about NY!  I told him he must be a great dad hearing his phone conversations with his son.

Dementia/Alzheimer's, Cancer.  Wish they could be permanently eradicated.

Sorry to bring a "downer" post in here this bright beautiful morning.  I rarely do so please forgive me.  Call your parents if you are blessed to still have them and tell them how much you love them.

On to happy things.  @Lionesss Will your daughter and SIL have a gender reveal?

My dogs are therapy dogs and before covid we made a lot of visits to hospitals, schools and nursing homes. One in particular was a memory care center. The dogs loved getting pets from everyone as they went from resident to resident, except my dog Howie. He gravitated to a woman that had been a dog trainer. He sat with her the entire time and she would bury her face into his thick fur. This went on for years, they were a team. The resident didn't remember people but she never forgot a dog. She died and Howie looked for her every time we went and then pouted. It was heartbreaking so now he visits other places. 

Edited by ownedbypets
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

No need to apologize, your post is quite the opposite of a "downer".  It's uplifting, inspirational even, as you are doing a very beautiful thing.  Thank you for what you are doing and sharing. I have no doubt you are having a huge, positive impact on not only the residents of the memory care facility but their family members as well.

My mother had early-onset Alzheimer's when she is in her mid-60's. I was still in my early 30's and, having just gotten married a few years earlier, was somewhat distant. Not in a bad way, we had a great relationship but I was just preoccupied starting my new life.  My dad, being old school, didn't say a thing but eventually my other siblings noticed.  She had a rare version that affected her speech first and she lost her ability to speak and otherwise communicate before she lost her memories. As such, we could never determine how much she recognized us or what she remember or even if she knew what was happening. 

Once it became to much for my dad and us to care for her, we did check her into a skilled nursing facility. They told us she'd be there for 12-18 months before she'd pass. She was there for 8 years.  My dad passed from cancer before her.

Given my current situation with a most loved one suffering a brain injury, I have often thought about how to give back, either thru fund raising, volunteering or working part time at a facility such as yours. Your post may have given me the necessary kick in the seat of my pants to translate my thoughts into actions.

The positive aspects of your actions reach far, my fellow Rocklander.

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing a difficult part of your life with us.  Your post resonated and touched me in ways I didn't think possible.  We really are family in here!  Most of us just haven't met in person.

This fellow Rocklander knows whatever you choose to do will make a positive impact on your life. Ultimately, you get back more than you give.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

My dogs are therapy dogs and before covid we made a lot of visits to hospitals, schools and nursing homes. One in particular was a memory care center. The dogs loved getting pets from everyone as they went from resident to resident, except my dog Howie. He gravitated to a woman that had been a dog trainer. He sat with her the entire time and she would bury her face into his thick fur. This went on for years, they were a team. The resident didn't remember people but she never forgot a dog. She died and Howie looked for her every time we went and then pouted. It was too depressing for him so he goes other places now. 

Animal therapy has been shown to be very beneficial.  Not sure if they have it in the facility I work for but I might mention it. I'm sure Howie brings a smile wherever he goes.

• Like 8

OK, I have to say I am starting to hate this laptop.  My cursor gets lost where it SHOULD be and without realizing it, I wind up typing where it doesn't belong.  So, then I have to re-read everything I typed previously, because I never know where those words might show up. g-r-r-r-r

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Just saw this on the news here in SouthWestern Virginia a couple days ago.....Pretty sure houses are all ready being built here.

https://www.wdbj7.com/video/2022/04/30/d-printed-homes-sw-virginia/

https://www.alquist3d.com/     Yes, they are working with Habitat for Humanity - that is Fantastic!   

Looks like these companies are all having a race to say they built the first 3d printed house to be occupied.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

OK, I have to say I am starting to hate this laptop.  My cursor gets lost where it SHOULD be and without realizing it, I wind up typing where it doesn't belong.  So, then I have to re-read everything I typed previously, because I never know where those words might show up. g-r-r-r-r

If you are using the touch pad  to move the pointer, I agree it is a pain. I  got a wireless mouse and keypad.  And I turn the pad off, there is an option to turn the pad off when there is a mouse attached. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I just searched for the S22 specs and found that the base S22 and S22+ have a resolution of 50MP, while the S22 Ultra has a resolution of 108MP.  This is using the "wide" lens.  For all 3 models, the ultrawide lens is 12MP and the zoom lens is 10MP, so you won't get the very high res shots when zooming in.  Click here and scroll down to the camera section.

Most phone camera sensors are arranged in a 3:4 ratio (as are most full frame DSLRs).  If you record using 3:4, you'll get the full resolution of the camera.  If you record in 9:16, you'll essentially chop off the top and bottom rows of pixels in the sensor to get a wider looking picture, and you'll lose some resolution.  As I said before, that's not a big deal unless you're making a large format print.  I also like how the 9:16 ratio fills a typical TV screen or computer monitor.

So, you asked back a ways about our excursion.  4 wheeler Hondas.  15 minute bus ride each way.  Top speed on the way out 26 KPH.  On the way back I let a gap open, and hit 34… over 20MPH!  Road was rough as heck.  The cenote had fruit bats hanging over it.  There were turtles and fish in the cenote.  Because the top water is fresh and brackish about 20 feet down it looks green.  The top water is very clear.  I would guess the water temp was about 80F.  it felt cold when I jumped in.  My wife the RN was concerned I was going to ingest an amoeba into my brain and die.  I think out of about 25 of us I think 4 guys including me jumped in.  It was fun, but I wouldn’t do it again.  Very dirty.  Tasted sugar tequila drinks after.  

We bought K a painted Panama hat for $20, and ate chicken nachos at Senor Frog’s, and had two margaritas by the yard they were watery.

On another question as D+ on a 13 night cruise I assume we each still just one bag of laundry?  IE we don’t get more because of the extra days?

jc

15 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

If you are using the touch pad  to move the pointer, I agree it is a pain. I  got a wireless mouse and keypad.  And I turn the pad off, there is an option to turn the pad off when there is a mouse attached. 

I don't use a touchpad.  I only use a mouse.  I have to be vigilant to make sure I am typing where the cursor is.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't use a touchpad.  I only use a mouse.  I have to be vigilant to make sure I am typing where the cursor is.  

If I have an an issue,  I usually reboot, if that doesn't fix it, I try replacing the batteries in the mouse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Cheers!!

I told you so.... that everything was going to be ok.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did you have the nasty thunderstorm roll through your area overnight?      It was very loud at my house and pouring rain.     We put weed n feed down on Sunday so hopefully that didn't wash away.

Yesterday they forecast over 90% of thunderstorms and we did not get a drop of rain.  Just a few hours ago the thunderstorms hit us good.  Went down afterwards to check the garden and all looks great.  She was out shopping for some cruise clothes when it hit.  With the warm weather rolling in she found some nice long sleeves on sale that will work for Alaska.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My favorite actor on Better Call Saul is Michael Mando who portrays Nacho.The interesting thing about him is that his native language is French.His first foray into acting was in Shakesperian productions as a student at the University of Montreal.

That is an interesting fact.   I, too, like Nacho. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yesterday they forecast over 90% of thunderstorms and we did not get a drop of rain.  Just a few hours ago the thunderstorms hit us good.  Went down afterwards to check the garden and all looks great.  She was out shopping for some cruise clothes when it hit.  With the warm weather rolling in she found some nice long sleeves on sale that will work for Alaska.

I planted some sod in a couple places yesterday so the heavy rain we had during last nights storm was definitely enjoyed by the sod.      Great idea to shop the clearance sales for your Alaska cruise.    I cannot believe it is already May.   You will be onboard before you know it😃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing a difficult part of your life with us.  Your post resonated and touched me in ways I didn't think possible.  We really are family in here!  Most of us just haven't met in person.

This fellow Rocklander knows whatever you choose to do will make a positive impact on your life. Ultimately, you get back more than you give.

You two are making me choke up 😢

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We put weed n feed down on Sunday so hopefully that didn't wash away.

Jim put down weed n feed on Saturday in the front while I mowed in the back.  We never fertilized the back since I was concerned about the rain;  I also was hoping that the rain on Sunday night wouldn't affect the fertilizer.  Jim used liquid this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

The hospital bill for .Charlie’s week-long stay came today.  Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say!

I’m glad that he is doing much better now.  

It’s amazing the difference between what the hospital or doctor charges and what the actual agreed amount that the hospital and insurance company agree to settle for.  One example is when my mom had her TIA last June at her oncologist office, the bill for the paramedics and 28 hours in the hospital was about $72k but the final payments from the insurance company was about $14k.  That’s a big difference.

Its eye opening when you look at the itemized list of services, what’s charged and what’s actually paid.  I know I am extremely grateful for the office people at my moms oncologist because since she has been getting weekly chemo for a long time now, they have connections with grants and copay programs that cover all of her out of pocket cost for her treatments.  Most years she has met her out of pocket deductibles by mid March.   

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I planted some sod in a couple places yesterday so the heavy rain we had during last nights storm was definitely enjoyed by the sod.      Great idea to shop the clearance sales for your Alaska cruise.    I cannot believe it is already May.   You will be onboard before you know it😃

It may be May but I have been wearing a sweatshirt all day.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

If I have an an issue,  I usually reboot, if that doesn't fix it, I try replacing the batteries in the mouse.

I reboot but not sure what replacing batteries will do.  I'll try anything. 

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I reboot but not sure what replacing batteries will do.  I'll try anything. 

I only use a mouse too but I find at times, if I am not careful, I hit the touchpad and send my cursor where I don't want it.  I just have to be careful where I lean.  I haven't turned it off because my DH uses it.

• Like 1