Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would go to playmakers at lunch as opposed to dinner.  I also usually schedule Chops for the second formal night and get a couple lobster tails to go along with my steak. 

Playmakers is open every day and you can use it even on port days as long as it's open.  On port days it may not open until 2.  We tend to do that and then a later dinner. 

So glad I posed this question for advice. That is an excellent idea. Now are Lobster tails still an up charge in Chops even if you have the UDP? Also I've heard it's hit or miss if Chops will give you the free tails that they serve in the MDR on lobster night.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

This is really very well organized. Looking forward to the Live.

Greg, if you have time after the cruise, can you also post your thoughts/pictures of Maya Key and Krazy Lobster. I have been to Roatan many times but never been to Maya Key.

I am going to include those in my review. Even though my main focus is UDP I want to cover all our experiences on this cruise. Looking forward to Krazy Lobster.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Have you been getting training from Crystal, this is really singalotist !  Well done.

Funny she and I have talked about our approaches to trips. We think a like. I am very anal (Can I say that?) and detail oriented so seeing everything down on paper helps me think of my planning. I do know that everything I plan can fall apart and I do have to just go with the flow. It's just a roadmap for me knowing that there are many things that can get me in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think you did a fabulous job planning and hope that you can get the reservation times that you want.    😄

Eric would kill me if I put something like this together.   He absolutely hates having a schedule when on vacation.   It is one of the reasons we haven't done the UDP since it is best to make reservations as soon as you board.    He likes to just go with the flow and go wherever he wants for a meal whenever he wants.   Of course, we have lobster night that is a given.  

My wife is like that but she knows to just let me do my thing. I do have realistic expectations that everything could change and that I have to adapt. Seeing it helps my brain be organized enough that if changes arise I can look and see what needs to be adjusted.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, it is.  I never have as I usually lay on the beach & splash in the ocean all day before taking a late afternoon walk.  It closes at 5;00 pm but the last admission is at 4:30. Missed it by a couple of minutes yesterday. I think next time, I'll swap the order & go directly to the light house first, then the beach. The light house is a about a 10 minute stroll from parking lot #5 at Robert Moses.

They also have a free museum and gift shop in what used to be the Keeper quarters and a separate "Lens" building that houses some of the older lens from previous light houses.

Thanks. It is a beautiful looking lighthouse.  One day I will sit down and figure out if the logistics of a day trip works.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just returned from getting a haircut.My barber had a huge bowl of these.It was the first time he ever offered any kind of candy to his customers.

Does he have a kid that recently became a dentist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The magazine has Buddy Rich as number 4.

Blasphemy! I don't put much stock in magazines that try and rate artists. They are all different. You can't compare, plus as time goes technique advances. The drummers now can do things that drummers 20 years could not do. I think if you ask any drummer who is knowledgeable about the history of drumming would say that Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Very caring heart. You are a great guy to have around! 🥰

Don’t get me wrong, some days I could throttle her. 🤪 I think she doesn’t realize how good she has it. My brother does basically nothing.  He has seen her once for over the last 6 weeks in the retirement home.  He lives 15 minutes away, and I’m 30 away. 

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I must comment on your knack of home maintenance.

Years ago, when I got engaged my father was impressed that my husband to be could do and manage fix me ups .  Rick could fix anything from a car, to home problems.  Electrical, piping, and the infamous "running toilet" from that flapper hickey breaking and running.

Your ability to do around the house tasks reminds me of his praise for those that know how to do these tasks. Too bad today many are too busy and would just pay for easy fixes.

My one brother's world evolved around golf, and had not one clue on how to handle any home maintenance.  His wife knew more than him.

Thanks for sharing your day.

Thanks Sue. I know when something is beyond my grasp and a $7 part seemed worthy of me trying to fix. I can even drive a golf ball, maybe just not too accurate.😂

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, George C said:

I looked most coins up on internet then took them to a coin dealer and they offered me about same thing I got from internet . This was ten years ago. Could always use a couple of thousand towards are upcoming cruises. Will keep some coins as a investment. I have a relative who offered me what coin dealer said they were worth. 

I have a modest coin collection.I can give you the name of a Coin dealer in Manhattan if you are interested .They are very reliable and have been around for at least 60 years.My late brother in law was a collector.His wife sold his collection and they offered her more than anyone else.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric would kill me if I put something like this together.   He absolutely hates having a schedule when on vacation.   It is one of the reasons we haven't done the UDP since it is best to make reservations as soon as you board.    He likes to just go with the flow and go wherever he wants for a meal whenever he wants.   Of course, we have lobster night that is a given. 

I'm the same way.  One of the reasons I resisted taking a cruise until I was in my 40's is that I'm not very structured and hate being on a schedule (and also very limited vacation time). After my first cruise, I decided that was one of the best things of a cruise as it kept me going, otherwise I'd probably just linger & miss half the fun.

Having said that, I still hate deciding where & when to eat more than a day in advance. I like to "wing it". Although I have gotten better and usually will have a general idea of a few places where I like to eat each day depending on how hungry I am.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yes! I would say in about 3 or 4 days I can say we have been happily married for 43 years....  😆  Not bad for 43 years!

That is great news.

41 years happily married on Monday 22nd for Pauline and me.

Graham.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The magazine has Buddy Rich as number 4.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Blasphemy! I don't put much stock in magazines that try and rate artists. They are all different. You can't compare, plus as time goes technique advances. The drummers now can do things that drummers 20 years could not do. I think if you ask any drummer who is knowledgeable about the history of drumming would say that Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time.

Greg is much more knowledgeable about drummers than me, but I would agree with him.  Who did that magazine list as their #1 drummer.  And for that matter, who did they put at #3 ahead of Rich?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

My husband is a coin collector and does the same thing but also goes to coin shows. Quite a few of the people there are very helpful and have told him what is the absolute lowest he should sell for or to hold on to the coin and their opinion usually matches what he has found on the internet. He has sold some stuff, at the shows, above what he was told it was worth. I inherited a ring that I actually thought was costume jewelry. I took it to a local jeweler to find out if it was real before getting rid of it. It was real and offered me $500. I declined. I took it to the next coin show and showed it to a few vendors. The first few offered me exactly $500 so I kept walking. One said $1000 and I slid that ring over to him so fast and took the cash.Try a coin show for some different opinions, you might get lucky.

A friend of mine had a huge collection.I went with him to a coin show sponsored by Numismatic News.His collection was sold at auction in the UK and he netted $250,000.My late brother in law was also a collector and I went with him to many shows in NY and NJ.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. It is a beautiful looking lighthouse.  One day I will sit down and figure out if the logistics of a day trip works.

You're welcome.

Probably best to wait until after Labor Day so you won't have to deal with summer beach crowds & traffic. Although from RI, I'd have no idea how you'd get there. Ferry from CT to Long Island, maybe?

https://www.fireislandlighthouse.com/

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks Sue. I know when something is beyond my grasp and a $7 part seemed worthy of me trying to fix. I can even drive a golf ball, maybe just not too accurate.😂

I pride myself in doing something at least once before calling in an expert.  The only exception that I can think of is brake work.  Never trusted myself to work on brakes.  I've learned that some things take a combination of skill/experience, physical dexterity (e.g., working under a sink or in a crawl space) and having the right tool(s).  I don't do things myself now unless all 3 of those are covered.  I'm also a perfectionist and have high expectations about quality of work.  I often can't meet my own expectations.  I'm therefore more often than not just calling a guy.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree on Buddy Rich , but we are showing are age with that pick . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You're welcome.

Probably best to wait until after Labor Day so you won't have to deal with summer beach crowds & traffic. Although from RI, I'd have no idea how you'd get there. Ferry from CT to Long Island, maybe?

Thanks for the link.  They have a great virtual tour on that website.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, it is.  I never have as I usually lay on the beach & splash in the ocean all day before taking a late afternoon walk.  It closes at 5;00 pm but the last admission is at 4:30. Missed it by a couple of minutes yesterday. I think next time, I'll swap the order & go directly to the light house first, then the beach. The light house is a about a 10 minute stroll from parking lot #5 at Robert Moses.

They also have a free museum and gift shop in what used to be the Keeper quarters and a separate "Lens" building that houses some of the older lens from previous light houses.

Long Island has many historical areas and museums that many people are not familiar with even those living on the island .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

I agree on Buddy Rich , but we are showing are age with that pick . 

You're probably right.  I read somewhere that Buddy Rich was one of Neil Peart's idols and that Neil even incorporated some of Rich's jazz style into his own drumming style.  He did a sort of homage to Rich at the end of that solo video that I posted earlier.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Don’t get me wrong, some days I could throttle her. 🤪 I think she doesn’t realize how good she has it. My brother does basically nothing.  He has seen her once for over the last 6 weeks in the retirement home.  He lives 15 minutes away, and I’m 30 away. 

Sadly, that is the way it is with most families. When my parents were still alive, it fell upon me & my older sister to do 90% of the care taking while my other 2 siblings seem to always have an excuse as to why they couldn't help out.

I'm not complaining though, looking back, the time I spent with my parents in there final years is (mostly) precious and I feel like the other 2 siblings missed out.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You're welcome.

The trip would definitely start with a ferry ride from New London, CT to either Orient Point or Montauk.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That is great news.

41 years happily married on Monday 22nd for Pauline and me.

Graham.

We may have had about 7 sad days in 43 years so that is why happily married for 43 years is about a week after our 43rd anniversary.   

• Like 9