Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

She might have to go out to her car and charge her phone if she  still has no power and if her car isn't underwater. Earlier today they had 85 mph wind gust where she lives.

from what I heard from my girlfriend that lives outside of Clearwater that Port Richey did okay, she was not aware of any flooding issues there but you never know as sometimes it can be just a couple of blocks that get flooded.     

Hopefully Crystal and Nate are just fine and simply have no internet.   🤞 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, singinalot said:

just walked down to the marina

they’re saying we’ve seen the worst of what we’ll get here besides rain. The marina will likely fill back up and pass the sidewalk lip.

We’re so incredibly lucky and my heart is with those south of me.

4663DA2D-EF67-40A2-8796-8AEED7FA5D0A.thumb.jpeg.7dc55cfab78a4a4afc7304e05e05b80e.jpeg

the sailboat is listing sideways on the ground and the pontoon is on the ground as well

54A24F69-D2EF-48B1-AEB0-C138DF4E4D7B.thumb.jpeg.3b268dcf3b97e535bc3ec7a062a782ad.jpeg

1835791D-6A94-4F71-BC99-42EAA9F448D6.thumb.jpeg.665f0c6dfe92b76e97a2d776292fcbbc.jpeg

You know that’s what tsunamis do. They suck all of the water out and then it comes rushing back with half of the ocean. If I saw the water draining like that I’d be running through town yelling “Run for your lives. Tsunami coming!!”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Bridge going to Sanibel was almost destroyed from what I heard so only way to get there is by boat. We stayed in Sanibel since my brother used to live there and ran a theater there with his wife . My niece was working as a realtor in Sanibel so she will find another job. 

Yes, I saw video or photos this morning of the causeway to Sanibel and Captiva missing large sections.    Good to hear your family members are okay, possessions can be replaced.   

I just heard on one of the news channels that cell service is tough right now, at least 100 towers are down in Southeast FL.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Thats the famous Weather Channel weatherman Jim Cantore? 

I saw a clip on CBS news of him hanging on to a street sign for dear life after a tree branch hit him & almost sent him tumbling down the street. 

There a hilarious video of him arriving on a beach in swim trunks and sunglasses carrying and beach chair, and as he’s sitting down, people see him and start screaming and running. Surfers running out of the water, parents grabbing their kids. They’re terrified!

He looks around and they’re all gone. 
He can clear a beach quicker than a shark!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It’s making the rounds on Instagram, more so on the car pages. 

24 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is a shame the car is destroyed but for some reason I don't feel sorry for the guy.   

One would think that the owner would have at minimum got it to a parking garage that is elevated from the flood surge.  Potential theft is a better option that what happened to it.  Maybe he had other cars more important protect first, or was away, or was fine😉 with his insurance coverage. There is a reason for this happening, we will never know the why.

Could just be more money than brains. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

from what I heard from my girlfriend that lives outside of Clearwater that Port Richey did okay, she was not aware of any flooding issues there but you never know as sometimes it can be just a couple of blocks that get flooded.     

That post was referring to Ellen, she posted this morning about rising water in her yard and no power.

@A&L_OntGlad to hear Crystal and her husband are alright.

• Like 4

Owen and his football team had another game today. Best weather the last 5 days, sunny and warm. Probably 70F plus.

Much better than ball tryouts last night, that was cold. 

39A50ED3-F7F1-4099-8677-35242F705C3B.thumb.jpeg.f2a29ebba0b64c4b3c8a2e1ea11cedd7.jpeg

Last play of the game. You will have to excuse my commentary with my mom. 

Owen with my mom.  She watched the entire game and had no hip pain at all. Owen had 4 points after touchdowns and played the final quarter of the game in his new secondary defensive role. He even made a tackle as well. They are now 2/0 and have scored 43 points and had 0 against them.  They have supposedly played the two toughest teams in their league.

I have to say it is a solid start to the season. 

E77096AC-2B15-4853-8DA3-2B7CDA2CD536.thumb.jpeg.082ebb0a712cd36e3aa7c628c76c7f79.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 18

I just looked on Flightrader24 and there is a high altitude balloon headed that way. It has been used before for providing cell phone service to areas that have wide spread outage.  I believe it was used in Puerto Rico when their system got wiped out that last time  they had a hurricane hit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s making the rounds on Instagram, more so on the car pages. 

One would think that the owner would have at minimum got it to a parking garage that is elevated from the flood surge.  Potential theft is a better option that what happened to it.  Maybe he had other cars more important protect first, or was away, or was fine😉 with his insurance coverage. There is a reason for this happening, we will never know the why.

Could just be more money than brains. 🤷‍♂️

He was apparently home and took the video of the car being swept away.    The car was sitting in the garage next to his rolls royce which was flooded but still there.   I saw at least one other car but wasn't too clear what type of car.     

Probably whoever finds that car after water recedes will have some fun😁

9 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I just looked on Flightrader24 and there is a high altitude balloon headed that way. It has been used before for providing cell phone service to areas that have wide spread outage.  I believe it was used in Puerto Rico when their system got wiped out that last time  they had a hurricane hit.

Cool, I have never heard of this balloon.   I had read that t-mobile had set up cells on wheels to assist Puerto Rico.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My Boss owns a couple million $ home in Cape Coral that he had built in 2017 on a canal.   His neighbor told him that most of the newer homes on the street are okay - some tiles missing from roof and the pool lanai needs some repairs but no flooding where some of the older homes down the street were flooded and now have several feet of mud/sand, etc. in them.    

I remember what that is like when Sandy hit our home in LBI and we had sand and dead fish in our house that stunk something awful after we were finally allowed to visit the island.

Wow -- so glad he didn't get a lot of damage.  I have a friend in Fort Myers who didn't evacuate against evacuation orders and everyone's advice and now her house is flooded and and she has to leave.  She kept insisting she would be fine and she had a generator.  That generator is now under water.  

Sandy was a devastating storm as well.  A lot of property damage -- glad you made it okay. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, singinalot said:

i have to humbly disagree a bit. We have to remember that the storm was initially coming straight for my area, not down south. Many people in FL didn’t know what to believe and it’s a bit like the boy who cried wolf.

Nate worked very very hard for his cars and he would be devastated had this happened. His blood, sweat and tears went into everything he has. 

Please do not take my comment in a wrong way at all.     I was simply referring to the guy as he has a a huge mansion probably worth $20 million and several expensive cars in his garage is why I personally do not feel sorry for him.   I feel sorry for the car

There are far too many people that are devastated that do not have that guy's money.

Happy to hear you and your family are safe and sound🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Wow -- so glad he didn't get a lot of damage.  I have a friend in Fort Myers who didn't evacuate against evacuation orders and everyone's advice and now her house is flooded and and she has to leave.  She kept insisting she would be fine and she had a generator.  That generator is now under water.  

Sandy was a devastating storm as well.  A lot of property damage -- glad you made it okay. 

So sorry to hear about your friend losing her home but glad to hear she is okay.   

It is going to take people a very long time to recover from this disaster.   It took people at LBI and surrounding areas several years to be back to "normal".   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry to hear about your friend losing her home but glad to hear she is okay.   

It is going to take people a very long time to recover from this disaster.   It took people at LBI and surrounding areas several years to be back to "normal".   

Thank you -- yes the Jersey shore got hit pretty hard during Sandy. Hopefully it won't get another hurricane like that in the future. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My post was not about Crystal, it was about Ellen who posted earlier this morning but not since.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, singinalot said:

i have to humbly disagree a bit. We have to remember that the storm was initially coming straight for my area, not down south. Many people in FL didn’t know what to believe and it’s a bit like the boy who cried wolf.

I can understand that. 

26 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Nate worked very very hard for his cars and he would be devastated had this happened. His blood, sweat and tears went into everything he has. 

I also agree with you on this. I would feel the same way as Nate. I think the difference is Nate and I would have had a plan for the cars even if the storm was forecast for the opposite side of the state.

Some folks are planners and some not so much. With a million dollar car you need to have a plan, and to me a last minute planning would never fly.  I suspect Nate would be the same. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

We just discovered the flightradar24 app a few days ago, and today have been watching the high altitude balloon traveling from the Bahamas to Florida.  We had no idea what is was all about.  That's really interesting that it could be providing cell phone service.  I'd love to know more about it.

• Like 2

Glad most here are fine although some friends and family have some losses due to Ian. 

Seems like it has now drifted further east and though we are not quite in the cone, yet, sounds like we will have a very wet and windy day tomorrow.  We are inland enough to not have to worry about storm surge but not looking forward to potential tornado warnings.  They say risk is low, hoping they are correct.  Wind was kicking up today, won't be anywhere near what Florida got but hoping it won't be too bad.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

My post was not about Crystal, it was about Ellen who posted earlier this morning but not since.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.  I get home from work and try my best to catch up with everything, not easy with everything that's going on.

I think Ellen said her power was out maybe she hasn't been able to get online.   Hopefully she is okay as I recall her photos this morning showing the flooding in her backyard.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1