Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We're holding up, barely.

I'm at loss of words to describe the sheer fear we feel when our "leader" has the "chutzpah" to shame our only staunch ally -- the US.

A war in the north will be ten fold more destructive than the one which is still going on.

(((Hugs)))❤️ and Prayers🙏, Dani

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

First computer I worked on was a 4K IBM 1401, I was working for US lines , which owned SS United States at the time.

When I worked at Moore-McCormack Lines at 2 Broadway, our cruise ships were the SS Argentina and the SS Brazil.  I was 17 when I first began working there right after Graduation, and at that time, no one my age went on cruises with their friends.  My friends and I would go down to the Shore on our weekends.  We did go to a Bon Voyage party on the ship for one or two of our single co-workers, who were in their 30's.🤨

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I pray 🙏 everyone is safe and well and y'all are having a lovely weekend.

I had an internet outage but everything is fine now.

Thank you, Graham.  Good to hear your internet is back!😉  The heat is on here....holy moly, it is hot!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Glad to hear Charlie is doing better, and you made it to AC.

We're holding up, barely.

I'm at loss of words to describe the sheer fear we feel when our "leader" has the "chutzpah" to shame our only staunch ally -- the US.

A war in the north will be ten fold more destructive than the one which is still going on.

Sending hugs 🤗 and prayers 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Quick weekend trip to San Antonio to see my daughter.  We took a little side trip today up to Austin and had a tour/tasting at the Still Austin distillery.  Came back to the hotel with some goodies.

IMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.6358fe073329c55d17dba9d8d5a9164a.jpeg

Oh Man!  I’ve been wanting to get my hands on anything from Still Austin.  What was your favorite?

• Like 1

Eagle Rare for me this evening. Cheers friends! 🍻

Today was crazy hot in Pittsburgh.  Humidity was ridiculous making it way worse.  Tried to walk Emma this morning around 8 am.  Already sooo hot 🥵 

IMG_3396.thumb.jpeg.22cf267a6a92c785701ba0731b10ce06.jpeg

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 6

It was hot here today, but not horrible.  87° around noon, while we were sitting in the sun. 

IMG_1460.thumb.jpeg.bcd82d4237b859fb89fe8cd7df8df149.jpeg

After a bike ride this morning, we took our grandson to a community parade and festival. 

IMG_1461.thumb.jpeg.adb209002b640cad795b0d68602f09df.jpeg

These cleanup guys had the worst part 

IMG_1462.thumb.jpeg.ba19279139d75a6cac4ada8c8c17efe6.jpeg

who doesn’t like those crazy Zem Zems

IMG_1463.thumb.jpeg.333278c73a2597b3ade2c545bd25dae5.jpeg

Lots of different mini vehicles for them. 

IMG_1465.thumb.jpeg.887e2712c0799fe0057aef675c51363f.jpeg

I think the electric powered bar stools were my favorite. 

IMG_1467.thumb.jpeg.3c565ad23c3388ff2aff6ff99d698a1b.jpeg

A few nice cars in the parade, although I am sure these wheels are aftermarket on this 56. 

IMG_1470.thumb.jpeg.3732df0e782f10d0505e0e2dacfc5884.jpeg

I have seen this car in shows before, but it looks like the wrap is fading. 

IMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.7ecf8f07eb6c10207d94711738651192.jpeg

IMG_1459.thumb.jpeg.c4462511eb3a49331f8fb3ac0b36701d.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

On 6/20/2024 at 6:54 PM, HBE4 said:

That reminds me of the Dragon Coaster at Rye's Playland Park, just north of NYC.  That single "safety" (haha) bar was so loose, I also thought I'd be flung out to my death into the Long Island Sound. Thankfully my beer belly kept me wedged in. 

The scariest part for me wasn't the speed or steep drops (tame by today's standard) but the fact that at 6'2'', it seemed like I would hit my head when entering the dragons mouth tunnel or crossing under the trestle.  There is a short video at the bottom of this link.

https://www.aceonline.org/page/Dragon

More NY memories.  Every summer my family would go on a boat ride from lower Manhattan to Rye Playland.  Mom would pack a picnic lunch and my sister and I would go with dad as chaperone on as many rides as possible.  It was the highlight of our summer.  My sister and I once went on a very tame train ride BUT it seemed we would be going up on that humongous roller coaster.  We got closer and closer and then miraculously we passed thru the tracks to the other side.  Phew!

On 6/20/2024 at 9:40 PM, George C said:

I remember as a kid going to catholic elementary school we had a trip to Rye play land by boat I believe, totally loved it , but that was late 50’s . I didn’t have to worry about my height then , now at 6’ 4” with bad knees there are a lot of broadway theaters that I need to avoid . 

That must have been the boat we took to Rye Playland!

23 hours ago, maggieq said:

Famous line in the movie.  “Are you sure?”

Mine was "Oh yeah, you blend."  And the tirade about Vinny picking out appropriate attire to hunt a deer or as Marissa pronounced, "deeuh".

11 hours ago, George C said:

Celebrating turning 75 today, will go to our normal restaurant and start with some Johnny Walker Gold then get a really good bottle of wine with dinner . 

Have a wonderful birthday, same to @Sunshine3601 Debbie (belated) and @MancGirl21 May all your birthday wishes come true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, George C said:

Very happy we don’t need to deal with propane tanks , some areas here have natural gas and some don’t. When we bought both of our houses we made sure they had gas . First thing I did in our current home was to add a gas line to our outdoor grill 

Celebrating turning 75 today, will go to our normal restaurant and start with some Johnny Walker Gold then get a really good bottle of wine with dinner . 

Happy birthday!!

• Like 1

@Keksie I hope you're feeling better.  As @Sea Dog Greg posted, kidney stones are super painful.  I was hospitalized and had it zapped.

@dani negreanu Dani, so good to see you posting and although, not living in Israel, I shouldn't make political comments but I (and Jack) totally agree with your opinion of your leader's "antics".

@TravelGirlinDallas Bethany, I agree with other posters. Your neighbor who placed his junk in your pile is nasty and rude.  I can't believe the town is so slow picking up debris.  Hope it gets removed soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Glad they were able to fix. One thing we like about our artificial grass is that it is laid like carpet. If any work on the soil needs to be done the turf can be folded back.

I know that feeling about 3’s. I hope you are done after two.

Does the artificial grass have little holes to let rain water drain down into the groubd?

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

More NY memories.  Every summer my family would go on a boat ride from lower Manhattan to Rye Playland.  Mom would pack a picnic lunch and my sister and I would go with dad as chaperone on as many rides as possible.  It was the highlight of our summer.  My sister and I once went on a very tame train ride BUT it seemed we would be going up on that humongous roller coaster.  We got closer and closer and then miraculously we passed thru the tracks to the other side.  Phew!

That must have been the boat we took to Rye Playland!

Bonnie, you write so well about your memories of growing up in Manhattan;  you have great recall of movies, etc.  Jim and I had finally finished writing our stories for Storyworth, which our daughters had given us for Christmas last year, so that our children and grandchildren could read about our experiences growing up, learning about our relationships with our parents, our siblings, our friends, our many trips we've done with friends, etc.

I bet your daughter Jennifer, as well as your grandchildren,  would love to learn more about their Mom/Grandmother, and Dad/Grandfather.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I’m glad to hear from you…but so very sorry for this long continuous ordeal that seems to only get worse as time goes on.  I so wish there was something other than prayers I could offer you.  🙏

+ 1 @dani negreanu.  @helen haywood has expressed what I wanted to reply to your sad update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sydney was the coldest capital city in Australia yesterday and we are apparently on our sixth wet weekend in a row, so our planned Blue Mountains hike is on hold for a while yet.

Instead, Max is getting 4km hikes in the rain with me (which he loves) and I am following a young Australian currently hiking The Pacific Crest Trail and we are planning to watch a new Australian movie about an a guy walking Camino de Santiago.

Max relaxing after our walk in the rain yesterday.A034AB7F-BFFA-4DE4-8106-4577AF4FB505.thumb.jpeg.c6983287f06fd1efca5cc2230f5d5f03.jpeg

• Like 17

After walking Max, I caught up with a girlfriend who had just returned from a 3 week roadtrip of Tasmania.  Before she left I asked since they were going past Burnie, if she would mind popping into the Distillery there and buying me a bottle of the coffee liqueur that I bought there for Dad during my cruise stop back  in February (he had just finished the bottle that week and loved it).  Whilst she was buying the coffee liqueur for me,  her husband bought himself a bottle of $170 AUD whiskey.11287F29-5DA2-4782-859B-7E136D7F24DE.jpeg.ee6fa16c502966df039609144e000d70.jpeg

Later, in the trip they saw this beautiful box of mixed mushrooms for sale $35 AUD.D44AE55B-5C4C-45DA-B3BB-F31CA375B0C0.jpeg.c59e597515d0064f6010b36abfd46856.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Oh Man!  I’ve been wanting to get my hands on anything from Still Austin.  What was your favorite?

I really like their ryes, but the bottled-in-bind rye isn’t widely available and I’ve never seen it in WA so I’m excited to try it.  

I’d heard of their red and blue corn bourbons but have never seen those in the wild either, so I grabbed one…they were out of the blue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

When I worked at Moore-McCormack Lines at 2 Broadway, our cruise ships were the SS Argentina and the SS Brazil.  I was 17 when I first began working there right after Graduation, and at that time, no one my age went on cruises with their friends.  My friends and I would go down to the Shore on our weekends.  We did go to a Bon Voyage party on the ship for one or two of our single co-workers, who were in their 30's.🤨

My second job was with ADP and that was at 2 broadway back in 1971 . My first cruise was back in 1975 a cruise to nowhere 😁, got hooked on cruises in 1977 and have done at least a cruise a year in every year since , total of approximately 80 . 
luckily wife loves to cruise also got engaged on Sovereign and honeymooned on SS Norway in 1991 , celebrating our 33 anniversary next Saturday.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Bonnie, you write so well about your memories of growing up in Manhattan;  you have great recall of movies, etc.  Jim and I had finally finished writing our stories for Storyworth, which our daughters had given us for Christmas last year, so that our children and grandchildren could read about our experiences growing up, learning about our relationships with our parents, our siblings, our friends, our many trips we've done with friends, etc.

I bet your daughter Jennifer, as well as your grandchildren,  would love to learn more about their Mom/Grandmother, and Dad/Grandfather.

Thank you so much Maryann.  I mentioned in here awhile back that the best new baby gift I received when I became a mom was a parent book, gifted by my bff, instead of the usual baby book that records baby's accomplishments.  In the Parent Book, it chronicles my and Jack's experiences from the time we were born to when we met, dated, married, etc.  Pictures follow each stage of our lives. I hope Jen cherishes it as much as I did creating it.

And, as far as recall of movies, I have to admit to seeing "My Cousin Vinny" more times than I can count.  "Ghost" (Molly you in danger girl) and "Moonstruck" (In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress) are two others that I can recite most scenes.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thank you so much Maryann.  I mentioned in here awhile back that the best new baby gift I received when I became a mom was a parent book, gifted by my bff, instead of the usual baby book that records baby's accomplishments.  In the Parent Book, it chronicles my and Jack's experiences from the time we were born to when we met, dated, married, etc.  Pictures follow each stage of our lives. I hope Jen cherishes it as much as I did creating it.

And, as far as recall of movies, I have to admit to seeing "My Cousin Vinny" more times than I can count.  "Ghost" (Molly you in danger girl) and "Moonstruck" (In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress) are two others that I can recite most scenes.

Moonstruck is another really good movie!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Eagle Rare for me this evening. Cheers friends! 🍻

Today was crazy hot in Pittsburgh.  Humidity was ridiculous making it way worse.  Tried to walk Emma this morning around 8 am.  Already sooo hot 🥵 

IMG_3396.thumb.jpeg.22cf267a6a92c785701ba0731b10ce06.jpeg

That’s called “Winning!”

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Does the artificial grass have little holes to let rain water drain down into the groubd?

Yes it does and it drains beautiful. There is also a perforated pipe underneath that goes out beyond the fence with a pop up drain for any excess. But I am amazed how well it drains even when it pours down rain. No pooling or puddles.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s called “Winning!”

Yes it does and it drains beautiful. There is also a perforated pipe underneath that goes out beyond the fence with a pop up drain for any excess. But I am amazed how well it drains even when it pours down rain. No pooling or puddles.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1