Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure if anyone else signed up, but I just got an email for the Genesis presale.  I have been selected for the presale and will have an opportunity to buy tickets tomorrow morning.  Not a guarantee of tickets but at least I can try tomorrow.  Codes coming tonight for the purchase.  My DH also signed up and did not receive an email.  Fingers crossed.

My brother did too.   Just not the same, I remember sleeping out to get concert tickets or do mail order for grateful dead shows with very specific instructions to get them.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Hiking along the ridge across from the little house we are renting for the week.  Another beautiful day. 🙂

20210504_100238.jpg

20210504_100327.jpg

I had to look twice. Bucky wearing sneakers and long pants. 😁

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

When we cleaned out my Dad’s house last October, found that he’d kept every tax return he ever filed going back to 1953!  That plus all the “important” paperwork (ie: insurance claims, etc) in triplicate was just too much to shred. We ended up burning it in batches in our fire pit.  I can understand wanting to let your children decide which of your treasures they want, but maybe ask them now instead of them having to sort through it all at a difficult time. 

This was actually the second time we downsized my mom. The last time in 2007, when we also found a few boxes of my dad's old stuff. He died in the late 80's. He had lots of documents in the boxes plus cash, bond and stock certificates (remember those). Needless to say, I went through every envelope before shredding yesterday. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

When we cleaned out my Dad’s house last October, found that he’d kept every tax return he ever filed going back to 1953!  That plus all the “important” paperwork (ie: insurance claims, etc) in triplicate was just too much to shred. We ended up burning it in batches in our fire pit.  I can understand wanting to let your children decide which of your treasures they want, but maybe ask them now instead of them having to sort through it all at a difficult time. 

My dad has 50 +/- yrs of playboy magazines.  My Mom renewed his subscription every birthday.   We grew up with the new month sitting on coffee table with tv guide, readers digest and my highlight magazines.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

No such thing as a squirrel proof bird feeder

Saw that video last year, hadn't laughed so hard in a while.  It truly is amazing how quick they figure things out.  We keep moving our feeder and it's usually a matter of days until they figure out how to get to it.  Don't have a big enough yard to give them their own.

As for stuff, we moved about 4 years ago, had been in our previous home for 26 years, kids finally said no more stuff, brought a box every time we visited, told them do what you want with it.  Now been going thru closets, etc and purging most of what we haven't used since we've been in this house.  I do have a box of my dad's WW2 stuff and many needlepoints my mom did that I still can't  part with.Clean out what you can while you can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can relate to helping our relatives let go of some momentos.

To avoid hoarding, but for them it was memories of happy times.

So far, sold 4 cars, one mobile home, and some furniture.

Donated to Amvets and Homeless shelter, and home for young pregnant mothers in need.

We spent over 8 months and 9 dumpsters emptying out the inlaws 4,000 square foot side by side duplex and still have to meet with the antique dealer, toy collector and ............

When the weather breaks have to get everything out of storage. to sell.

Sad to see an empty house as it is up for sale.

Until you have been there, you do not know what it is like not throwing away anything, like what they saved.

Namely:

over 100 coolwhip containers

A drawer full of bread twist ties

14 sets of silverware

23 table clothes, 18 still in original unopened store wrappers.

A beer keg still full of beer from the DH bachelors party (our 30th anniversary this year).

Newspapers from 1939,  YES  1939

Old supplies from a school that closed, teachers desk, student desks posters, maps

3  30mm movie projector

2 35 mm movie projector

Slide projectors

Over 400 record albums, damaged not stored properly

18 tool boxes with all rusty tools.

Oh 

And believe it or not my MIL never threw a pair of shoes away, those cruising with us can ask the DH how many shoes we threw out it was just under 100.

And

She kept every outfit she ever wore in every closet.

I will not do that to our DD.

It was not all that painful;

We found drawers of money, 

They had saved money in their bank accounts.

Tons of waterford

Inherited land in Florida.

It is what it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

We just had to move my 90+ year old mom out of her apartment into a full nursing home. Spent two hours yesterday shredding  her monthly bills, investment statements, et al from 2007 -2008. I'm keeping all the sympathy cards she got after my dad died that she had saved from the late 80's.  

The only reason I didn't get to 2009 etc. was that the shredder broke. Amazonie is delivering a new one tomorrow.  

I recently had to do the same thing. It hurt me greatly but I know it is for the best.

Sidney

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I tried that logic with the monster box holding my wife’s wedding dress....didn’t go over well.🤣

We opened hers up on 30th anniversary. 

It had moved at least 10 or 12 times in that time

20210504_205857.thumb.jpg.50a1ff9917a98d49e36d066a1b61947f.jpg

Nice 80's sleeves

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Saw that video last year, hadn't laughed so hard in a while.  It truly is amazing how quick they figure things out.  We keep moving our feeder and it's usually a matter of days until they figure out how to get to it.  Don't have a big enough yard to give them their own.

As for stuff, we moved about 4 years ago, had been in our previous home for 26 years, kids finally said no more stuff, brought a box every time we visited, told them do what you want with it.  Now been going thru closets, etc and purging most of what we haven't used since we've been in this house.  I do have a box of my dad's WW2 stuff and many needlepoints my mom did that I still can't  part with.Clean out what you can while you can.

The WW2 items would be tough to get rid of. All i have from my dad back then is a photo of the bomber crew he was a part of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Plus, wouldn't it be nice to know what they think is memorable😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

That song and Cat Steven's Father and Son have always been very touching to me.

Laura discovered Father and Son from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I think the 2nd one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thats why I cleaned out the office garage at my mom’s this winter. To reduce the sort for later. I still need to go through the vault to get through the old tax returns and bills from before my birth. Shred-it does on site shredding though. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

My 95 year old mom is in a assisted living , she loves it. When my Dad passed a few years before she went thru some of the stuff she had one I never saw was a passport so he could visit relatives in Italy passport was from mid 1920’s , my grandmother and grandfather moved here from Italy in 1890. I am named after a uncle who passed away in France in WW1,  totally weird thing is my uncle who passed in 1917 had a sister who passed same day in nyc . 

I have my mothers passport .She came to the US in 1917.

• Like 2

When my youngest got married 11 years ago she left a trunk in my house and her huge cassettes collection.She and her husband moved into an apartment. She said when they buy a house she will take everything.

They bought a house 4 years ago large enough for my house to go into and her things are still here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Large power outage here, with over 5,000 rural customers without hydro . Thankfully the automatic farm generator kicked in for our place. My mom was going to bed and Sharon was retiring for the evening as well.  That means I didn’t have to go and turn on their generators.  Power should be back by midnight. 🤞

Big day tomorrow.

• Mom goes back to the DR to check her eyes.
  • It’s Owen’s birthday, the big 14.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My dad has 50 +/- yrs of playboy magazines.  My Mom renewed his subscription every birthday.   We grew up with the new month sitting on coffee table with tv guide, readers digest and my highlight magazines.

I loved my Highlight magazines, later Mad magazines. Scholastic school book fairs were always anticipated with great excitement.  I love my kindle but love the scent of hardcover books. It's why I always loved the library.

When my sister and I cleaned out my parents apartment, after our mom passed away, we found among other things, a doctor's handwritten prescription for my baby formula, a stack of my parents wedding response cards, mom's hospital bill for my birth - $59.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately, when you pass, no one will care.

Got rid of most of our junk 6 years ago. It's just stuff 

And you replaced all that stuff with alexa enabled devices....  so much for it is all just stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure if anyone else signed up, but I just got an email for the Genesis presale.  I have been selected for the presale and will have an opportunity to buy tickets tomorrow morning.  Not a guarantee of tickets but at least I can try tomorrow.  Codes coming tonight for the purchase.  My DH also signed up and did not receive an email.  Fingers crossed.

My email is in my signature.  Email me. 😉

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

But I'm a boomer, we have an unnatural affection for stuff.

My in-laws passed simultaneously 3 years ago. They had so much stuff it was mind boggling. Laura and I had to dispise of it. Sure we kept a few things, but most got pitched/donated. It was a pain in the ass. 

My adult children don't want anything, especially old concert stubs, cruise compasees, menus, etc..

This is the reality of the new millenium

I like stuff, and I know how to show up at work to earn stuff.... the millennials are missing out on that.😇

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

And you replaced all that stuff with alexa enabled devices....  so much for it is all just stuff

Most of it is built in to the house so it's functioning devices😉

Who crawled up your ass?

The only thing that doesn't get used is the Roomba, and I have been experimenting with it lately

• Like 2