Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I have 100 bags of mulch waiting for me to spread it.  Hopefully soon!!  I always wait until the catkins have finished falling, so they don’t cover the fresh mulch. Lots of blowing and raking to get rid of them, then power washing and window washing to clean off the pollen film. 

Not my favorite chore.  I guess I will wear my mask for that. 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I moved two yards yesterday for our condo.  Not all that much compared to seven yards but humping those wheelbarrows up the ramps to bypass the stairs added an element of effort to the whole thing.

It was sometime in april we had something like 7 to 10 yards delivered.  Every spring we do this, then in fall I get a couple bags and lowes to spruce up front beds before winter.  I always sprinkle Preen for some areas before I lay mulch down.  Ugghh.  Back breaking but well worth it when all done.  

16 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Hurricane Alice hit Bermuda in 1973 during our honeymoon at Elbow Beach. We were all asked to leave our rooms and meet in the ballroom for a hurricane party. The next morning we walked outside and saw giant frogs smashed on trees - will never forget that.

One of the bad hurricanes that hit my sister's place (the year she moved down from Michigan 😮 )...we walked around afterwards and found the flooded sidewalk full of small fish...still swimming around!!!   

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm happy to say we finished our mulch.  It is always so overwhelming when they dump that pile of mulch in driveway.  Seems like a never ending pile wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow.  I did most of it myself this year since I didnt want Eric doing it all since he broke his humerus this winter.  

I received my burpee order early May and everything is planted and growing nicely.

Hopefully you will have nice weather for memorial day weekend.  Have fun planting and mulching. 🤩

Oh me too with our previous house.  We had a small orchard in our side yard (huge Mango tree, Avacado, 4 citrus trees, and a big fig tree).   They were not doing well, and figured out it was the grass/lawn under them all that was to blame.  Dug it all up and put down mulch everywhere on that side. 

Made a huge difference with now very healthy trees....but indeed what a pain to replace that stuff every 3 years or so.  Ugh...would take me 3 days to spread it all out from that huge pile they dumped in our driveway!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Oh me too with our previous house.  We had a small orchard in our side yard (huge Mango tree, Avacado, 4 citrus trees, and a big fig tree).   They were not doing well, and figured out it was the grass/lawn under them all that was to blame.  Dug it all up and put down mulch everywhere on that side. 

Made a huge difference with now very healthy trees....but indeed what a pain to replace that stuff every 3 years or so.  Ugh...would take me 3 days to spread it all out from that huge pile they dumped in our driveway!  

My neighbor use to have 2 huge fig trees.  I was always picking figs as she didnt know what do with all of them.  I wish she hadn't got rid of them.   We dont want anymore trees in our yard.  Have peach and cherry trees now and a very large maple tree.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

Just now, island lady said:

We had "free mulch" when we lived in Georgia. The loblolly pines have long needles and we had quite a few of them. Didn't have to bailed pine straw - just rake the yard!!!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

One of the bad hurricanes that hit my sister's place (the year she moved down from Michigan 😮 )...we walked around afterwards and found the flooded sidewalk full of small fish...still swimming around!!!   

Till the fish into the garden - great fertilizer!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

When super storm sandy hit our family shore house in lbi, nj they weren't letting homeowners onto the island for several weeks till national guard had area secured.  Only resident and homeowners were allowed onto the island to clean up homes.

By the time we get to our house all the water had receded but the stench in the house was overwhelming.  While shoveling out sand and debris from inside the house my mom discovered several dead fish and crabs in the kitchen.  We were laughing about it but it was then that reality hit her and all she could do was cry. 

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My neighbor use to have 2 huge fig trees.  I was always picking figs as she didnt know what do with all of them.  I wish she hadn't got rid of them.   We dont want anymore trees in our yard.  Have peach and cherry trees now and a very large maple tree.

Indeed the huge figs on our very healthy fig tree were wonderful!  As long as you could get to them before the bugs did!  😮  Once that little hole on the bottom opens up as it ripened...the bugs would crawl into it.  🤢

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

We had "free mulch" when we lived in Georgia. The loblolly pines have long needles and we had quite a few of them. Didn't have to bailed pine straw - just rake the yard!!!!!

Ugg...pine sap.  Can't get that stuff off you.   😞 

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When super storm sandy hit our family shore house in lbi, nj they weren't letting homeowners onto the island for several weeks till national guard had area secured.  Only resident and homeowners were allowed onto the island to clean up homes.

By the time we get to our house all the water had receded but the stench in the house was overwhelming.  While shoveling out sand and debris from inside the house my mom discovered several dead fish and crabs in the kitchen.  We were laughing about it but it was then that reality hit her and all she could do was cry. 

Uggh...sad.  Luckily no water got inside my sister's home (she lives walking distance from the beach in Vero Beach), but it sure made a mess of her yard and pool.  Tore off the screen enclosure over her pool, as well as many tiles off her roof.  

@Sunshine3601

Um spread mulch.   LOL.

With the wedding planning and selling the inlaws house, and hosting a massive estate sale, once we are organized.  This year we are paying someone.

So the initial deal was $300 cash to lay 9 yards of mulch.

Well we are keeping the the $300 and they are going to spread the 7 yards.

Last year I pulled my back and the DH had to do the last half by himself.

I guess my super powers are fading with age.

Besides, we found a great lawn care company just starting out in business, and they are reasonable and very meticulous in their work.  And it is the best thing that has happened to us.

It is a family business.

The other part of the family broke off from the business of two men and a truck and have their own moving company.  Brand new top of the line truck, and all moving safety measures.

They moved 3 rooms of furniture for us and some of it was quite heavy.

For that move they only charged us $650.

And the quote from two men and a truck was over $1000

Just saying

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Our friend's house in LI had dead jelly fish and same scenario.

We were in Curacao onboard an NCL ship repositioning from NYC to NOLA. I remember there were a lot of fellow passengers who were trying to get through on the phone to neighbors to check up on thier homes and properties. Many many many worried people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Makes great glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read interesting information at one of our Florida State parks (St. George Island I think)...that the sailors of old used to use that pine goo for sealing the seams in the wooden built ships.  Waterproof goo!  

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I never drank Cherry soda . Cream is also a favorite.On the Coney Island boardwalk and W. 15 St .was Sodamat where there were more flavors of soda that anyone could imagine.

You need to visit World of Coke in Atlanta😉

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My oldest grandchild was born on June 27

One of my daughters got married June 30

The other daughter got married July 1 

All different years 

My birthday is in July .One of my grand dogs is also July .We will be celebrating together.

My other grand child has an August birthday as does another grand dog ,another dual celebration.

July 23rd?

Speaking of neighbors 😁

Saturday morning I've texted my next-door neighbor: "Got a nice chunk of cheese cake to share... any 'buyers' "??

She texted right back: "sure". I went in, told her to cut out as much as she wants, and left. Later she texted that the cake was very very tasty. Yayy !!

Yesterday evening, double knock on the door [the neighbors for sure, but I'm still checking through the 'hole' in the door....]. There was the hubby with a big cleaned fish, saying: "got some fish from my brother*, pls. take one". [brother lives in a kibbutz, which has a huge fish farm].

Double yayy !!

Before

20210526_123457.jpg

and after

20210526_131348.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 18

40 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of neighbors 😁

Saturday morning I've texted my next-door neighbor: "Got a nice chunk of cheese cake to share... any 'buyers' "??

She texted right back: "sure". I went in, told her to cut out as much as she wants, and left. Later she texted that the cake was very very tasty. Yayy !!

Yesterday evening, double knock on the door [the neighbors for sure, but I'm still checking through the 'hole' in the door....]. There was the hubby with a big cleaned fish, saying: "got some fish from my brother*, pls. take one". [brother lives in a kibbutz, which has a huge fish farm].

Double yayy !!

Before

20210526_123457.jpg

and after

20210526_131348.jpg

Nice neighbors!!!!

I was thinking that the "after" picture was going to be an empty pan!!!!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

For a split second, I read "church" (= Sunday) and "bank" (= open on Sunday???) 😁

Enjoy your day, glad that McDonalds are "back on track" 😉

Pauline was poorly on Sunday so we missed Sunday service so went to this morning's service instead.