US halts passport services

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

We told them we had a cruise on August 2. It has to do with the office your applications are sent to. I think mine went to Philly the same as NCMtnBoys

Hmmm.......ours was sent to Philly and came from there too.  Who knows?!  Just glad we got new ones!   We still haven't received our old copies back.  

1 minute ago, Kylie said:

Hmmm.......ours was sent to Philly and came from there too.  Who knows?!  Just glad we got new ones!   We still haven't received our old copies back.  

Most applications go Philly.  Where you send them to depends on where you live.  Only 2 places and then they send them elsewhere.   Old copies come about a week later via regular mail. 

I sent mine to Texas and it came back from Arizona. So clearly they send them around to different locations. My renewal came 3 months after I submitted it and the old passport came 3 weeks after the renewal. It sounds like things are moving more quickly at least for some at this stage. I'm glad I got my renewal...even though we are not going anywhere anytime soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Mailed my passport renewal to the Texas address on Friday, Aug 21 via Priority mail. It arrived at the Dallas TX Network Distribution Center on Monday, Aug 24. Sat there until Friday! Aug 28 when it finally arrived at its destination in Irving, TX. Have no idea why it took 5 days to go about 13 miles. Well, I take that back, I have some ideas which I will keep to myself. Check was cashed on Monday Aug. 31. Relieved to know it actually made it! Now I wait......

Reading this thread, time line seems to be all over the place. Just hoping that mine doesn’t get caught up in election materials mailing. Or holiday mailings for that matter!

Just an update, things must be getting better.  I sent my passport renewal on Aug 18 and received it today, Sept 2, a total of 14 days.    It came Priority mail and it looks like it's from Washington.  I also sent it Priority Mail but not expedited.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Just an update, things must be getting better.  I sent my passport renewal on Aug 18 and received it today, Sept 2, a total of 14 days.    It came Priority mail and it looks like it's from Washington.  I also sent it Priority Mail but not expedited.

Very encouraging! Thanks for letting us know.

• Like 1

Mailed my daughter's renewal the end of April.  It went to the El Paso agency which is actually in Sterling Va.  I got it back today finally!  I never received the email saying it was being mailed and the status never changed online. I just checked it Monday and it still said "not found". The old passport and birth certificate came back in the same envelope as the new one which is not how I have received it in the past.  I have always gotten mine back and her last one back in two different mailings days apart.  I am just glad to have it!!  I was afraid I would never see it or the birth certificate ever again!

The information about the three stages for resuming full staffing seems confusing. No explanation as to what criteria is used to determine the opening of each office or why the reopenings aren’t uniform. Seems like it’s the luck of the draw as to the renewal  processing speed based on which office becomes responsible for the actual processing. I keep hoping for the best for all of us waiting and hoping that there are no glitches along the way. i appreciate all who post updates.

U.S. State Passport Operations Update: As of September, we have completed processing applications received in March and are 92 percent through the applications received in April, May, and June. Due to nationwide variations in staffing and the type of applications, some of our passport agencies and centers are already working on applications received in July and August.

Ours was received in Philadelphia branch on July 17, checks cleared July, 21 and still in process.

We are renewing soon.  I just looked at the application and have, I am sure, a stupid question.  Page 2 asks for personal information and then has a section for your next trip.  We have no nest trip and was wondering the correctway to answer page 2.  Do they want eye and hair color etc.?

Thanks for any help and keep in mind I am old now!

On 9/3/2020 at 5:23 PM, nascarcruiser said:

Hey folks good news.  Check this out.  I'm still waiting but encouraged 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html

unless I am reading their metrics wrong, they will take a year to work off the 1M backlogged applications at their current rate.