US halts passport services

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

unless I am reading their metrics wrong, they will take a year to work off the 1M backlogged applications at their current rate. 

Since offices are operating at different phases, the throughput rate will increase as the offices move up in the phases.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

unless I am reading their metrics wrong, they will take a year to work off the 1M backlogged applications at their current rate. 

I have been tracking their output since I sent mine in July. Eight weeks ago they had about 1.4 million passports waiting to be issued. They are now down to 944 thousand waiting to be issued. Last week is the first week the number went up, likely due to the holiday.

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This from the State Dept website:

**As of September 10, we have completed processing applications received in March and are 97 percent through the applications received in April, May, and June. Due to nationwide variations in staffing and the type of applications, some of our passport agencies and centers are already working on applications received in July and August. If you applied before April and have not received your passport yet, we may have sent you a letter requesting additional information to continue processing your application. Please respond to this letter.

They are making progress and some have posted that recent applications have already been processed. As others have said, as more employees return to work, the timeline should be shorter.

12 hours ago, WeatherFx said:

For those who received their passport back.

How did they arrive, UPS, USPS or FedEx and is a signature required?

I received mine back via USPS priority mail. I received it in 14 days from the date I sent it.  Sent it in august

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday  via USPS priority mail.  The passport card will be a separate mailing per notices in the package.  I mailed it June 26th so it took 11 weeks to receive it.  

Also, I signed up for email notices on the passport website.  Once it was approved on Wednesday, it shipped the next day and actually arrived 3 days before the expected delivery date.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, WeatherFx said:

For those who received their passport back.

How did they arrive, UPS, USPS or FedEx and is a signature required?

USPS no signature with all supporting documents (birth certificate custody papers etc) back in same envelope with new passport and old passport together.  I had signed up for updates which I never received and passport status never changed online from "not found" 

Update:

Received in Philadelphia branch on July 17.

Checks cleared July 21, status in process.

Approved and shipped in Arkansas branch September 16. Estimate delivery date by September 22.

USPS tracking, scheduled delivery Sept 19.

Total time 9 weeks, 1 day for those originating in Philadelphia.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, DaniDanielle said:

We are renewing soon.  I just looked at the application and have, I am sure, a stupid question.  Page 2 asks for personal information and then has a section for your next trip.  We have no nest trip and was wondering the correctway to answer page 2.  Do they want eye and hair color etc.?

Thanks for any help and keep in mind I am old now!

Anybody?

27 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Thanks so much, I don’t want to screw it up🥴

Dh checked.  Left blank next trip question.  Put in hair and eye color.  Sent it in in late July got it back in about 3 weeks.  Sent to Philadelphia.   Was returned from Arizona.   

32 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

So just got an email saying my passport is in process.   The website has been saying that since the end of July lol.  Guess sending me an email validates what's on the website 🤣😂

I got that too after website had same info for many weeks. The next day got an email saying passport was on its way.  Good luck.  Katherine

1 hour ago, nascarcruiser said:

Got the email yesterday mine was in process.   Woke up to and have an email saying it will be here 9/23.  So about 2 months from when they cashed the check 

Told you! 😁😁  I got an email from the post office that a government envelope is coming today — looks like my old passport.  (I signed up for the service that emails me what will be in my mailbox each day.)  Congratulations, nascarcruiser.  It feels good to get that over with, doesn’t it?  Katherine

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Told you! 😁😁  I got an email from the post office that a government envelope is coming today — looks like my old passport.  (I signed up for the service that emails me what will be in my mailbox each day.)  Congratulations, nascarcruiser.  It feels good to get that over with, doesn’t it?  Katherine

I will feel 100% better when its in my hand.  Then we are booking an AI in Cozumel for January