US halts passport services

On 4/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, Tony O said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/04/01/coronavirus-state-dept-halts-passport-services-most-travelers/5102705002/

In an effort to the slow the spread of coronavirus, the U.S. Department of State has temporarily halted its passport services with the exception of travelers who have a "qualified life-or-death emergency."

The reduced services went into effect March 20 after the department raised a global travel advisory warning Americans not to leave the country

Citizens who qualify for a passport must have a family emergency that requires them to travel outside the country within 72 hours. Qualified emergencies include serious illnesses or deaths of immediate family members such as a parent, child, spouse or sibling, aunt or uncle. 

These travelers will be required to provide proof of the emergency which can be a death certificate or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. They will also be asked to show proof of international travel such as an airline ticket. 

The Department of State did not say when it would resume normal passport services.

If you filed for a passport prior to March 20, the Department of State said it still plans to issue those passports. 

Really don't know how this contributes to stopping the spread of the virus.  They're just going to be so back logged when this is all done.  Glad I have a few years on my passport.  Better just to do the simple things that work: social distancing, wearing masks, hand washing.

4 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Really don't know how this contributes to stopping the spread of the virus.  They're just going to be so back logged when this is all done.  Glad I have a few years on my passport.  Better just to do the simple things that work: social distancing, wearing masks, hand washing.

Well, people may not be beavering away at the passport office(s) processing routine applications for people who aren’t going anywhere.  That would protect them, their families and others.

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, people may not be beavering away at the passport office(s) processing routine applications for people who aren’t going anywhere.  That would protect them, their families and others.

Fair enough thought, but they wear masks, are behind glass and at next to no risk.  In this case, I'd prefer them being able to work and take care of their families.  I think they would too.

1 minute ago, Airbear232 said:

Fair enough thought, but they wear masks, are behind glass and at next to no risk.  In this case, I'd prefer them being able to work and take care of their families.  I think they would too.

They get on buses, trams and subways.  Take elevators, share spaces in work environments (i.e. bathrooms) other than their workstations, etc....  If it’s anything like employees at the passport offices in Canada, they’ll make it through.

13 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

They get on buses, trams and subways.  Take elevators, share spaces in work environments (i.e. bathrooms) other than their workstations, etc....  If it’s anything like employees at the passport offices in Canada, they’ll make it through.

I'm in Toronto, provided you follow proper guidelines, unless you are in a vulnerable group, there is very little chance of infection.  It is when people don't wear masks, attempt to maintain distance and don't sanitize hands that there are issues.

2 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

I'm in Toronto, provided you follow proper guidelines, unless you are in a vulnerable group, there is very little chance of infection.  It is when people don't wear masks, attempt to maintain distance and don't sanitize hands that there are issues.

Go down to Union Station  Monday morning and see whether it’s a typical pre-COVID-19 day on a walk from there up and around the banks on Bay Street.  If they let you into one of those 60+ story buildings, check out the elevator traffic.  Looking forward to your report Monday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Go down to Union Station  Monday morning and see whether it’s a typical pre-COVID-19 day on a walk from there up and around the banks on Bay Street.  If they let you into one of those 60+ story buildings, check out the elevator traffic.  Looking forward to your report Monday afternoon.

Sorry, never said things were typical.  Did say that if people practice social distancing (when practical and this obviously doesn't include commuting conditions), wear masks and sanitize that there is minimal to no risk if your not a member of an at risk group.  This is true.  Point is, there are ways to be safe and for life to continue.  Things don't have to come to an absolute stop.  

My renewal application was delivered on Sept. 28, check cashed a few days later. Status showed “application in process” shortly after. Today, almost a month later, I received an email with the same information. I guess I shouldn’t rely on being notified In a timely manner via email! 

Got mine today! Just a few days over 8 weeks from when the cashed the check.  2 weeks longer than it took for my boyfriend's renewal last year.  Not bad considering the circumstances 

That’s good news. Our checks were cashed today, so hopefully new passports will be received in around 8 weeks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sept 24 update says that some processing centers are working on applications received in August and September. Those centers would be locations now in Stage 2 reopening. So for those of us waiting the timeline will depend on which location your docs were sent to. Based on other posters here, the location that your docs were mailed to has no relation to where they end up for processing. It’s a wait and see situation. 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ashland said:

Applied sometime ago for Global Entry (they quickly took my $'s)...No interviews available for LAX showing at all. Got an email that I could do an interview if coming in from an international flight...and I'm certainly not. So what happens now ??

Same for me, applied for a renewal for wife and myself back in February 2019 with GE cards expiring mid-year 2020.  Paid all of he fees required and those were taken quickly, wife received her renewal card within about 2 months mine showed "pending review" for about 8 months, then "pending review" for another  6 months and the last time I looked it stated that mine has been "APPROVED".  The last time I looked was about a month ago and of course there is no one to talk to or contact.  My GE card has expired almost 10 months ago.  I know that they have extended the time period to 12 months for the old cards to be able to be used but the GE "people" are wearing me out.....it's been almost 18 months since I applied for renewal.

9 minutes ago, Ron Don said:

Same for me, applied for a renewal for wife and myself back in February 2019 with GE cards expiring mid-year 2020.  Paid all of he fees required and those were taken quickly, wife received her renewal card within about 2 months mine showed "pending review" for about 8 months, then "pending review" for another  6 months and the last time I looked it stated that mine has been "APPROVED".  The last time I looked was about a month ago and of course there is no one to talk to or contact.  My GE card has expired almost 10 months ago.  I know that they have extended the time period to 12 months for the old cards to be able to be used but the GE "people" are wearing me out.....it's been almost 18 months since I applied for renewal.

My husband and I applied for GE in February of this year, before Covid hit, and have of course been pending ever since. I do not expect approval until sometime next year. Hopefully before our November 2021 cruise🤦🏼‍♀️

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bearette said:

For anyone doing global entry, my husband's expired in March 2020,  he sent it in January (or Decmebr-ish). Yesterday we got the approval. They were behind even back then so they will be good for another 18 months now.

We sent our GE apps in (first time applicants) in February and are still waiting. I expect to have to wait longer than a renewal but your post gives us hope, ha ha!  It’s been almost 9 months as I think we sent them in February 2nd. 

I wanted to thank whoever it was that recommended, on this thread, that I periodically check the DHS website for possible appointment cancellations for a Global Entry appointment.  The only appointment I was able to get for the Dulles Airport office was waaay off in January 2021.  I checked the website every day to see if maybe there was a cancellation and lo and behold, one Sunday when I checked there was an appointment available for the very next day !  I jumped on that and was able to get in on that cancellation.  SO happy to have this over with.  This was a renewal as opposed to a brand new application so it was quick and painless.  Since we are relocating to FL in 2 weeks, if I had not been able to get this taken care of before we moved it would have complicated things.  Now I'm done !  Thank you to whoever made that suggestion/recommendation.

Passport renewal arrived today just a few days shy of 2 months since it arrived in Irving, Texas. Was returned from Tucson, AZ.  Now waiting for old book to be returned. 

Brand new, blank book and no idea when it will get its first stamp!

Edited by purduemom1