Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

10 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

That sounds neat.  How far away were the ships?  

Was hard to tell from marine traffic depiction...but at a guess several miles off shore.  Probably could not see it with the naked eye...but I bet the glowing spot was visible.  🙂  

Just hoping to get back to our cruising life at some point...soft opening or not.  😮 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Down here they are about 4-6 miles out

We're at Lori Wilson Park

image.png.896a7eb24115dabba8218efb31444fbd.png

They look like this at night

IMG_6562.thumb.JPG.37ee7270b27894a31b23f00d92f4f1bc.JPG

IMG_6615.thumb.JPG.4b6c627c1fbaee2a353149727ce89a81.JPG

John -- this is so cool.  Do you have to use a zoom lens.  I always pack binoculars on a cruise so that I can see cruise ships that pass.  

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Was hard to tell from marine traffic depiction...but at a guess several miles off shore.  Probably could not see it with the naked eye...but I bet the glowing spot was visible.  🙂  

Just hoping to get back to our cruising life at some point...soft opening or not.  😮 

John posted some cool pictures from his balcony with the ships 4 miles or so away.  I bet binoculars would come in handy.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

John -- this is so cool.  Do you have to use a zoom lens.  I always pack binoculars on a cruise so that I can see cruise ships that pass.  

Yep, 70-300 zoom with the Canon. I use that lens like binoculars. 

Here is kind of what they look like with naked eye

IMG_6653.thumb.JPG.128ada7c488ecba05be11db8ec716c03.JPG

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yep, 70-300 zoom with the Canon. I use that lens like binoculars. 

Here is kind of what they look like with naked eye

IMG_6653.thumb.JPG.128ada7c488ecba05be11db8ec716c03.JPG

That's what we've seen when we've stayed in Ocean front hotels in Cocoa Beach.  The zoom lens really gives you a great view.  

That's what we've seen when we've stayed in Ocean front hotels in Cocoa Beach.  The zoom lens really gives you a great view.  

There are over 80,000 crew members stranded on cruise ships. It is not really cool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-crew-lawsuit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There are over 80,000 crew members stranded on cruise ships. It is not really cool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-crew-lawsuit.html

And while this, like many things cruise related, tends to get the media attention, there are 1.6 million merchant mariners currently onboard ships around the world who are in the same "boat" as the cruise crews, unable to crew change either due to ports not allowing crew changes or inability to obtain flights to/from the home countries.  While not all of the cruise ship crews you mention are due for crew change at this time, merchant mariners account for 100,000 crew changes every single month.  When crews start to reach the statutory maximum time on a ship, ships will stop running, and 80% of the world's trade will stop with them. 

Figured these lawsuits would come sooner or later, a Miami lawyer (who represents the parents of the child dropped out the window of an RCI ship) representing a Bulgarian crew member on a ship that had never left France.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While not all of the cruise ship crews you mention are due for crew change at this time, merchant mariners account for 100,000 crew changes every single month.  When crews start to reach the statutory maximum time on a ship, ships will stop running, and 80% of the world's trade will stop with them. 

Sounds worrisome.

What happens if only half the crew is due to be changed? Is the ship stopping in the middle of the ocean?

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Sounds worrisome.

What happens if only half the crew is due to be changed? Is the ship stopping in the middle of the ocean?

No, of course the ship would not stop at sea.  But, if the manning falls below the statutory minimum, the ship may be denied entry into port, or if in port, it may be denied clearance to sail from a port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aren't you a friggin ray of sunshine.

I have empathy for the crew members on those ships who are marooned at sea.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/cruise-ships-crews-stuck-at-sea-paydays-dwindling-and-searching-for-a-way-home/2020/04/14/c7d9c498-78fb-11ea-a130-df573469f094_story.html

You should really rethink linking to articles that require a subscription to open 😉

You might also want to research stories of Filipino crew members being persecuted by their neighbors when they get home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

LOL...and how many of us are under "house arrest" told to stay at home.  😉 

Not total house arrest, I am allowed to walk a half block to my mail box.

I just need to avoid the kids playing in the street.

Edited by Blizzard54
  • Like 1

You should really rethink linking to articles that require a subscription to open [emoji6]

You might also want to research stories of Filipino crew members being persecuted by their neighbors when they get home.

I won’t rethink it. Some have subscriptions and some don’t. Those who do will be able to read the links. Some know of work arounds. Many sites have their paywalls down for Covid 19 news. I can’t keep track of that. I have subscriptions to the Washington Post, New York Times and Wall Street Journal. It is worth paying for news rather than watching free entertainment for news like Fox News and CNN.

That’s nice of you.  Maybe you should try sending them a gift card or something.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

Not total house arrest, I am allowed to walk a half block to my mail box.

I just need to avoid the kids playing in the street.

LOL!!  And I went to Walmart today, (being an "essential business")  looking so very elegant in my home made face mask and beautiful blue latex gloves...:  😄    But for the first time in four weeks...I got there early enough to score a pack of TP!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s nice of you.  Maybe you should try sending them a gift card or something.  

A lot of people are showing their true colors here. Disdain for crew members. That won’t get you back on the ships. No crew equals no cruises.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

A lot of people are showing their true colors here. Disdain for crew members. That won’t get you back on the ships. No crew equals no cruises.

No disdain that I can see.

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I won’t rethink it. Some have subscriptions and some don’t. Those who do will be able to read the links. Some know of work arounds. Many sites have their paywalls down for Covid 19 news. I can’t keep track of that. I have subscriptions to the Washington Post, New York Times and Wall Street Journal. It is worth paying for news rather than watching free entertainment for news like Fox News and CNN.

Any thoughts on the persecuted crew members I mentioned earlier.

Maybe all those subscriptions will help

Edited by John&LaLa

Any thoughts on the persecuted crew members I mentioned earlier.

Maybe all those subscriptions will help

Why would I reply to something you didn’t provide a link too? I posted links about crew members who want to go home.

37 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

..............It is worth paying for news rather than watching free entertainment for news like Fox News and CNN.

Disagree.  I do not consider Fox News or CNN to be entertainment.  Both Fox News and CNN provide informative news.  I watch both, but prefer Fox News.

• Like 2