Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

34 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Those have ended since the 'All-inclusive' was seen as less of an opportunity and more of a challenge!

There's nothing shorter than 5 days in Europe now.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: That is apart from seniors' cruises where anything after 9.00pm and cocoa is seen as high living.

I meant that I think European sailings will be fine—it’s the short Caribbean ones on value lines that may hurt. 

5 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Those have ended since the 'All-inclusive' was seen as less of an opportunity and more of a challenge!

Regards,

Cublet

PS: That is apart from seniors' cruises where anything after 9.00pm and cocoa is seen as high living.

Sorry, but this senior does not get high on cocoa at 9 pm.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

If all the seniors stop cruising now, your only cruising will be on the Staten Island Ferry.

Apparently there are no seniors in you life such as parents or grandparents.

Some day you just might become a senior. Reminds me of a saying "You can only be young for a period of time but you can immature forever".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I meant that I think European sailings will be fine—it’s the short Caribbean ones on value lines that may hurt. 

Same thing happened after 9/11. Took well over 6 months before Surviving Cruise Line prices went back up. From Oct2001-May2002 I took 4 Cruises. On Royal paid little as $9(+ $50 Port) for 5niter and $799 for Cat B 7niter with no Single Supplement, this on the Newest/Largest ships and they still left Port 15% cabins empty.

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Same thing happened after 9/11. Took well over 6 months before Surviving Cruise Line prices went back up. From Oct2001-May2002 I took 4 Cruises. On Royal paid little as $9(+ $50 Port) for 5niter and $799 for Cat B 7niter with no Single Supplement, this on the Newest/Largest ships and they still left Port 15% cabins empty.

😲

On 4/6/2020 at 8:26 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I would lose sleep if I had as many FCC's as some have.  

I look at it this way.  Those that already spent disposable money on their cruises, and hence have FCC from them being cancelled, obviously were able to spend that money in the first place.  Even if that money went "poof", they aren't bankrupt.  It was disposable income in the first case.  

Now, losing sleep over longing for those missed cruises, or the fact that they may have spent money for nothing...  I suppose, but I would hope that the vast majority aren't out there paying for cruises with money they don't have. (i.e. dept).  Who knows though.

I'm not shook up one bit about having FCC.  Worst case I lose it all (which I highly doubt happens), but if it does...  oh well that's life

Dan

• Like 4

On 4/7/2020 at 10:16 AM, pyrateslife4me84 said:

People mobbing parks in China suggest folks who’ve been stuck at home for weeks will gladly leave. This crisis will impact the poor most-greatly. How many such folks go on European cruises? 

I think it’s the “value” 3 night cruises that will suffer the most. Luxury liners or luxury routes will likely do better. 

Just trying to understand your logic.  Are you saying that because covid is disproportionately impacting the poor, less people will sail on 3-4 night cruises?  Interesting idea.  I'm not sure that's true.  No idea really.  I wonder how the demographics of 3-4 night cruisers change relative to 7+ nighters.  Are there more "wealthy" on longer cruises and more "poor" on 3-4 nighters?  

Dan

JMO

Two thoughts:'

1. After 262 cruises of various lengths over the last 19 years, my guess is that the 3          and   4 night cruises are mainly the young working who want a brief vacation to party.

2. When calculating the value vs cruise fare, I take in to account that I will not have to buy groceries and other household items and that we do not have auto costs for the time we are gone.

I am currently having to cancel 3 straight months of cruising and am having to restock my pantry with food and other items-at no small cost.  So yes, I want a refund and not some far off in the future promise of FCC.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Just trying to understand your logic.  Are you saying that because covid is disproportionately impacting the poor, less people will sail on 3-4 night cruises?  Interesting idea.  I'm not sure that's true.  No idea really.  I wonder how the demographics of 3-4 night cruisers change relative to 7+ nighters.  Are there more "wealthy" on longer cruises and more "poor" on 3-4 nighters?  

Dan

I have found over the years that the 3-4 night cruises sometimes cost more per day than longer cruises. I'm spoiled by 9 and 10 day cruises. It's hard for me to book a 7 day cruise anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have found over the years that the 3-4 night cruises sometimes cost more per day than longer cruises. I'm spoiled by 9 and 10 day cruises. It's hard for me to book a 7 day cruise anymore.

Completely agree.  The longer cruise the better.  For those of use having to fly in, 3 night cruises become pricier per night than the longer cruises because we have the same "other" costs besides the cruise itself, such as  Flights, hotel the night before, transportation near the port, etc...  Those "other" costs, when divided into 3 nights versus 7 nights, makes a big difference.

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I look at it this way.  Those that already spent disposable money on their cruises, and hence have FCC from them being cancelled, obviously were able to spend that money in the first place.  Even if that money went "poof", they aren't bankrupt.  It was disposable income in the first case.  

Now, losing sleep over longing for those missed cruises, or the fact that they may have spent money for nothing...  I suppose, but I would hope that the vast majority aren't out there paying for cruises with money they don't have. (i.e. dept).  Who knows though.

I'm not shook up one bit about having FCC.  Worst case I lose it all (which I highly doubt happens), but if it does...  oh well that's life

Dan

For some it may have been "disposable" (your term) when the cruise was booked but now....due to furloughs, layoffs, being a small business owner etc. that income may now be necessary for the person, his family or his/her business to survive. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

For some it may have been "disposable" (your term) when the cruise was booked but now....due to furloughs, layoffs, being a small business owner etc. that income may now be necessary for the person, his family or his/her business to survive. 

Can't argue there.  Circumstances are different now than they were months ago.

Dan

The US will have a soft reopening. Probably within a month or two. Don’t get your hopes up for a cruise soft reopening this year. Cruise ships were hot spots of the virus outbreak because they are petri dishes for transmission. So until there is a vaccine they should be suspended. Maybe in 2021 there can be a soft reopening of cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Us too! Seems like a lot of packing/unpacking/getting settled for only 3 or 4 days. Now that I am retired, the longer cruises are possible, although missing the kids and grandkids will always be an issue.

Hope you are getting by in NY! 

mac_tlc ( your neighbor to the north in CT)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

ClubRoyale giving away cabins on the following.

Symphony

Navigator

Independence 

Harmony

Mariner

Liberty

All sailings between July 14 and August 31

There's your soft opening😉

They can give away all they want, but I don't see it happening.

20 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If all the seniors stop cruising now, your only cruising will be on the Staten Island Ferry.

Apparently there are no seniors in you life such as parents or grandparents.

Some day you just might become a senior. Reminds me of a saying "You can only be young for a period of time but you can immature forever".

Hello,

What you didn't know, and quite wrongly presumed the opposite, is that there is a significant senior in my life - ME!

What is apparent is your lack of humour/manners.

Cublet

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:41 AM, PNW Traveler said:

The chart would seem to suggest no Alaska and Pacific Coastal cruises in 2020.

What chart??

Until Royal Caribbean officially states what’s going on and which cruises are sailing or are canceled, I’m planning on going on my 5 upcoming cruises.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 12:43 PM, firefly333 said:

If the Gov't cant screen, how can rcl? I saw a scroll that seemed to say a positive case got on the comfort. They were just taking non positive cases and screening and within a week the screening failed.

I guess I dont see it being possible to resume in may

Couldn't agree more.

12 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

What chart??

Until Royal Caribbean officially states what’s going on and which cruises are sailing or are canceled, I’m planning on going on my 5 upcoming cruises.

The first post in this thread relates to a "soft opening" where some ships are kept ready to sail, or "hot", and other ships are kept in a less ready state, or "cold."  The Ovation (sails to Alaska out of Seattle) and the Radiance (sails Alaska) are classified as "cold ships."  Additionally, the Ovation is currently being used to move crew to home cities in Asia, perhaps berthing in Asia in the immediate future.

There are several things that must happen in order for Alaska cruises to happen.  Canada must open its ports and borders, currently closed.  Alaska must open its ports, currently closed.  For Seattle departures, Seattle must open its port to cruise ships, currently closed with no opening date determined.  Whether it will economically feasible for Royal to bring its Alaska ships to the Pacific Northwest for a two month season is yet to be determined.

Much of this thread is conjecture and "best guesses."  Most of us hope to return to cruising.

I just learned something from a physician involved in treating coronavirus who was being interviewed on the news shows. He explained that the graphs and data that were being shown were based on the continuation of the current mitigation's that are in effect. He explained that if these mitigation's are relaxed too soon, the graph will change for the worse. Seems to me that many safety measures will need to be developed and put in effect before cruising can safely resume and ports will open to leisure travel and cruise ships. 

We can't wait to get back to cruising, but it's not worth risking our lives or the lives of others. We'll wait for the proper measures that make it safe are developed and put in place. 

Edited by lr657
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 8:25 PM, Iamcruzin said:

These cruise are now aimed to attract th young crowds / First time cruisers which is why RCL invested a lot on this segment and is using Amplified ships (Mariner and Navigator) for thie segment now opposed to old ships such as Majesty or Enchantment. However this crowd which anyway has a more critical view towards cruising and becomes always more important might be longer to convince again after the virus to cruise. Whereas one of the most important corwds the 70+ will have it harder to cruise given the Doctors approval they will need to provide on one hand and might be scared away due to concerns catching the virus. It looks like the crowds comming back fastes will be the ones in the 40's to late 50's. I guess it's going to be even more tuff for Holand America over the next years tofill it's cruise ships.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:48 PM, John&LaLa said:

ClubRoyale giving away cabins on the following.

Symphony

Navigator

Independence 

Harmony

Mariner

Liberty

All sailings between July 14 and August 31

There's your soft opening😉

They can give away cruises all day and night, doesn't cost them anything if they don't sail...........