Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

On 4/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, lr657 said:

I just learned something from a physician involved in treating coronavirus who was being interviewed on the news shows. He explained that the graphs and data that were being shown were based on the continuation of the current mitigation's that are in effect. He explained that if these mitigation's are relaxed too soon, the graph will change for the worse. Seems to me that many safety measures will need to be developed and put in effect before cruising can safely resume and ports will open to leisure travel and cruise ships. 

We can't wait to get back to cruising, but it's not worth risking our lives or the lives of others. We'll wait for the proper measures that make it safe are developed and put in place. 

Yes...social distancing is critical.  I recently watched a TED talk with Bill Gates where he was asked how China was able to all but eliminate the virus.  I thought this was a softball question where Bill could discuss the accuracy of the numbers coming from China.  Instead, he talked about the power of exponential growth and exponential decline.  I knew that social distancing was important but had not thought about it in these numerical terms.  Consider 2 cases:

100 people are infected.  One person infects 4 other people (R0=4.0).  In 5 time periods, the number of newly infected people will be:

100 -> 400 -> 1,600 -> 6,400 -> 25,600 -> 102,400

Same 100 people are infected but social distancing/quarantine means one person only infects 0.4 other people (R0=0.4).  In the same 5 time periods, the number of newly infected people will be:

100 -> 40 -> 16 -> 6.4 -> 2.6 -> 1

Keeping the R0 value below 1 is extremely important!  If social distancing doesn't stay in place in an effective way, the models showing improvement coming don't hold.

• Like 1

But what he probably didn't talk about is how draconian the social distancing enforcement was in China, including welding doors shut on buildings where people had defied quarantine.  Don't know how that would work on Main St., Peoria.

• Like 8

On 4/6/2020 at 4:28 PM, Charles4515 said:

Cruises are not a necessity. The cruise lines managements acted irresponsibly. I would not lose any sleep over the demise of the current cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruises may not be a necessity for you, but for some of us cruises are a necessity and a great way to travel.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

Cruises may not be a necessity for you, but for some of us cruises are a necessity and a great way to travel.

They’re not a literal necessity. Just because someone is addicted to something does not make it a necessity. 

With that said, I think it’s ridiculous to suggest they’ll wait for a vaccine to restart. Testing, testing, testing. 

• Like 1

Been on over 60 cruises so I know what they are as far as travel. Mainly a limited tasting menu. ( or a great way to do Bermuda [emoji3]) That is why I do combinations of cruises and land vacations. They are not necessity for me or anyone else. They are a leisure activity. We can live if there is never another cruise. Food and shelter are necessities not cruises.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

Can you share how cruises are a necessity?  I'd say that cruises are more of a want than an actual necessity. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Been on over 60 cruises so I know what they are as far as travel. Mainly a limited tasting menu. ( or a great way to do Bermuda emoji3.png) That is why I do combinations of cruises and land vacations. They are not necessity for me or anyone else. They are a leisure activity. We can live if there is never another cruise. Food and shelter are necessities not cruises.

You are right in that we can live if there is never another cruise.  Since I'm happily retired, cruising and traveling is my "job" and what keeps me going. 🙂 🙂

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Can you share how cruises are a necessity?  I'd say that cruises are more of a want than an actual necessity. 

Sure, when you're happily retired and have no worries about income, cruising and traveling do become a necessity.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:48 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

I look at it this way.  Those that already spent disposable money on their cruises, and hence have FCC from them being cancelled, obviously were able to spend that money in the first place.  Even if that money went "poof", they aren't bankrupt.  It was disposable income in the first case.  

Now, losing sleep over longing for those missed cruises, or the fact that they may have spent money for nothing...  I suppose, but I would hope that the vast majority aren't out there paying for cruises with money they don't have. (i.e. dept).  Who knows though.

I'm not shook up one bit about having FCC.  Worst case I lose it all (which I highly doubt happens), but if it does...  oh well that's life

Dan

RCI currently has $5000 of my dollars...disposable money?  I won't go hungry if I lost it, but I would be irresponsible. 

We have a GS booked, final payment is coming up soon.

I don't want FCC...I'll take the refund, (lose my deposit) and apply that money towards something different. A land based adventure.

If I take FCC, that means they will hold onto my 5K until 2021?  What if they declare bankruptcy before I use that FCC..... 

When the cruise industry recovers I will re-book another cruise.

Will also get back what I paid for excursions and specialty restaurants. on top of the 5K.

When we decide to cruise again, I will book a cruise and pay for it as I did this cruise.

Edited by B-52

12 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Do you realize that you're posting on the Royal Caribbean board? I hope so, and that you also realize that most Royal Caribbean cruisers would tend to disagree with you statement.........especially now that we're in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.  

It certainly is a rather tone-deaf and out-of-touch statement. 

At the end of the day, we all crave normalcy. For most here, vacations are part of our normal existence. So it’s natural that we all wish we could go on vacation tomorrow. I wish none of this was happening. But it is. And a cruise is not a necessity right now.

Based upon actual, on-the-ground statements from those in power, I think cruises are out until at least the start of the next school year. For those who crave normalcy, I would expect regional destinations within your own country to open first. Cruises attract too many international guests and I expect international recreational travel will be among the last things to return. So, for example, Disney World could reopen this summer, but reliant completely on American tourists. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Kokomo91165 said:

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world, it looks like Royal will be doing “soft” opening dates - meaning cruising isn’t going to all resume on May 11th fleetwide. This has also highlighted by a recent article about Carnival, discussing “hot” and “cold” layups of various ships - meaning keeping some ships with full crew and keeping other ships with just the essentials. It will take 3-6 weeks to get “cold” layup ships (essential crew only) to get all crew back, 2-3 week quarantine of crew, and then provisioning. 

RCL is choosing specific ships to keep “hot” and “cold”:

Symphony, Anthem, Navigator, Mariner, Majesty, Explorer - keeping fully operational as possible. 

Oasis, Allure, Jewel, Brilliance, Voyager, Ovation, and Radiance - keeping essential people only 

The bet is Europe will be open before US cruising, but I remain skeptical about both to be honest. 

Do you know if Harmony is only keeping essential people or if they are keeping fully operational as possible?  

• Like 1

I think they would be wise to do short cruises 3-5-7 days with a day  between to clean the ships.  People would be screened and the ships would be at say 70% capacity to leave more distance between people.  

probably will not happen but my 2 cents

IMHO. The new CDC cruise industry regulation will be out on April 15th. It is projected that the cruise industry be in a 'no sail' mode for 100 days from April15th. Earlier lifting of the regulation may be possible if a cruise line meets certain CDC standards. This probably means that full sailing agendas won't be until the fall of 2020. 

I won't 'die' if I never cruise again. I will sure miss it though. I believe in a bit of patience is in order for all cruise lines. I know there will probably be a misstep or two in handling cancelled cruises and FCC, but we have to remember that the cruise industry is fighting to stay in business as we know it. I believe the cruise lines are doing the best they can. Please be kind to the agent you contact. They are having a rough time too.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I think they would be wise to do short cruises 3-5-7 days with a day  between to clean the ships.  People would be screened and the ships would be at say 70% capacity to leave more distance between people.  

Agree, never happen except screening, that will

Edited by ONECRUISER

I wonder if our June Freedom of the Seas cruise out of San Juan will fall under this CDC 100 days after April 15th no sailing in US waters thing that just came out. Since it's fully paid, if RCI cancels, should I anticipate a refund? If that thing sails, we'll probably be the only people on the boat. 🙂

1 hour ago, fredflint said:

Right..... How many people would be allowed in an elevator?

7 hours ago, miamijoe.rm said:

I wonder if our June Freedom of the Seas cruise out of San Juan will fall under this CDC 100 days after April 15th no sailing in US waters thing that just came out. Since it's fully paid, if RCI cancels, should I anticipate a refund? If that thing sails, we'll probably be the only people on the boat. 🙂

San Juan, as a part of the US, falls under CDC control.  If Royal cancels the cruise, you will by default get a 125% Future Cruise Credit.  You can switch that to a 100% refund.  At least that's how it currently works.

9 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Do you know if Harmony is only keeping essential people or if they are keeping fully operational as possible?  

Sherri...I thought it was interesting that Harmony was doing one of it's usual "out to sea" exercises the other day.  When I looked for it on Marine traffic...it was off the coast of Flagler county.  Not too often does it cruise north.  Wonder if the people from up there could see it off shore....would have been a treat!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, miamijoe.rm said:

Puerto Rico is a US owned island.  

• Haha 1