CDC issues returning passenger rules for cruise pax

jimbo5544

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Interesting.

I can see a lot of legal challanges within these recommendations. But I do understand the intent.

I agree about the legal changlees , how can you stop people from using public transportation to return home? 

13 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Note the “cannot use public transportation to go home” as well.

i always sail out of nyc because i live in nyc. i will not mind if carnival or the cruise lines is willing to pay for my taxi ride back to my home instead of me always paying for it

• Like 1

I would not be surprised to see those rules remain in effect for any cruise ship in the next several months that has a confirmed case of Covid-19. The CDC doesn’t want the virus to start spreading again once we are past the peak. This would be huge disincentive for cruises to try and sail again anytime soon. One case on a ship and the cruise line having to pay to get everyone home would be costly in both money and bad publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As someone who worked for the US government and was involved in recommendations, guidelines, regulations and laws,  these are only recommendations that do not carry even the weak authority  of guidelines.

Even the language of the recommendations only use "should" and not "shall."

For those who aren't familiar with the language of regulations,  "should" is basically a suggestion that is a good idea to follow, but doesn't have to be followed. "Shall" is the language for what must be done.

They can not be enforced and there will be no penalty for not following.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

As someone who worked for the US government and was involved in recommendations, guidelines, regulations and laws,  these are only recommendations that do not carry even the weak authority  of guidelines.

Even the language of the recommendations only use "should" and not "shall."

For those who aren't familiar with the language of regulations,  "should" is basically a suggestion that is a good idea to follow, but doesn't have to be followed. "Shall" is the language for what must be done.

They can not be enforced and there will be no penalty for not following.

The CDC is using the word "must".  It is being enforced at this very moment for those disembarking from the Coral Princess.  This isn't a recommendation.

• Cruise line companies must get travelers directly to their homes via chartered or private transportation.
  • Commercial flights and public transportation may not be used.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

Edited by MarLieb

1 hour ago, shipbound2 said:

I agree about the legal changlees , how can you stop people from using public transportation to return home? 

Under the new regulations, the cruise line is responsible for privately transporting people the moment they disembark from the ship either through private vehicle for local residents or private buses/shuttles to charter planes for those that must fly home. Once guests land, the cruise lines are still responsible for private transportation directly to their homes (on US soil, of course, they can't regulate this once a flight lands overseas).  If you go over to the Princess threads, you can see how this is playing out on the disembarkation of Coral Princess passengers who docked on the same day these new regulations were released.  The onus and expense here is on the cruise lines, not the passengers.  Pure speculation on my part, but based on the plan that was constructed to disembark the Zaandam and Rotterdam which placed a large part of the expense in HAL's hands and the new CDC guidelines which are impacting the disembarkation of the Coral Princess (and placing all transportation costs in Princess's hands), it seems the US government and local port area governing bodies are putting the cruise lines in a position to think long and hard before putting their vessels out to sea with guests on them anytime soon.  I can't imagine how much it is costing them to get their guests home at this point.

• Like 1

These guidelines are for currently disembarking pax and crew. The crew being offloaded off the ships are being flown home via charters as are pax on the few ships unloading down here in FLL and Miami. Can’t see how they could work with that restriction When they restart. 

2 hours ago, MarLieb said:

The CDC is using the word "must".  It is being enforced at this very moment for those disembarking from the Coral Princess.  This isn't a recommendation.

• Cruise line companies must get travelers directly to their homes via chartered or private transportation.
  • Commercial flights and public transportation may not be used.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

This is the important part

“Recommendations”

MarLieb, see Saint Greg post that I quoted.

All of it is still recommendations.

What is being done with the Zandam and Coral Princess are specific restrictions for those two ships.

55 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

MarLieb, see Saint Greg post that I quoted.

All of it is still recommendations.

What is being done with the Zandam and Coral Princess are specific restrictions for those two ships.

Then why does it say "must use" and "may not be used" in the CDC's directive?  I mean, I'm assuming this will be lifted once all of this passes (I think there are only a few Carnival ships left out at sea, but I don't think any of them are docking in the US?).  So, this is just temporary for the Coral?  I can't wait for everything to go back to normal, if that's even possible at this point!!  🙂

Edited by MarLieb

1 hour ago, MarLieb said:

Then why does it say "must use" and "may not be used" in the CDC's directive?  I mean, I'm assuming this will be lifted once all of this passes (I think there are only a few Carnival ships left out at sea, but I don't think any of them are docking in the US?).  So, this is just temporary for the Coral?  I can't wait for everything to go back to normal, if that's even possible at this point!!  🙂

The HAL ship off ft. Lauderdale still has pax who had symptoms but didnt need hospitalization. It will be a few weeks I'd guess before they can get off. Glad it's not me. Zaandam?  Some name like that that had the 4 dead people. 

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The HAL ship off ft. Lauderdale still has pax who had symptoms but didnt need hospitalization. It will be a few weeks I'd guess before they can get off. Glad it's not me. Zaandam?  Some name like that that had the 4 dead people. 

Oh, ok.  That makes sense.  So this really applies to the people left on Zaandam and Coral Princess and maybe Rotterdam (I'm not sure if any guests are still on that ship?).  It's so awful.  I feel so badly for anyone - passengers and guests - who got caught up in all of this and are grateful to those who continue to care for them and help them off.

If I remember correctly, these two ships were not intended to dock in Florida to start and the state of Florida was concerned that all the sick, both passengers and crew, would become the responsibility of Florida so the Feds stepped in to negotiate.  The Florida Governor originally said only Florida residents could disbark.   The State of Florida wanted assurance that non US citizens would not disperse and end up in their hospitals  

8 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

I know. Imagine stopping people from going to department stores? From eating in restaurants. From going to beauty salons. It will never pass the "legal changlees."

• Like 1

People die on cruise ships all the time - we had a death on my last cruise and they disembarked the entire family while we were out at sea - the Captain gives you that option if the ship is close to a port - or you can take the other option as every ship has a morgue - (might as well finish the cruise imo 😘)

People also get sick on cruise ships - probably way more in the early days when the ships did not have the advanced stabilization systems in place or in the event one person decides to go on the cruise sick -

If you cruised a long time ago you know that the measures taken to keep these ships clean now versus then is unbelievable

If you are suspected to be sick - you will get locked in your cabin - that also goes if you are drunk or disorderly