Viking Ship Locations

Dukefan

2 hours ago, SDHusker said:

Orion has left Trieste on it way to Rijeka, Croatia.  Any idea why?

Best guess is going to exchange some crew, or to increase the compliment. Italy is not open to some countries and requires quarantine for others. I believe Croatia is open, with non-Schengen crew having to board the ship directly and sail within 12 hours.

If she is a quick turnaround, then I would assume crew.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SDHusker said:

Orion has left Trieste on it way to Rijeka, Croatia.  Any idea why?

In general, we can only guess the answer.  One reason could be to pick up fuel (bunkers is the term used by our resident merchant marines). Another reason could be to pick up/drop off crew.  Or maybe they had to leave Trieste.  We will never know. 

On 3/29/2021 at 8:42 AM, Medeba said:

Friendlyfifer.  I think you mean the Viking Venus.  Sorry, I can't answer your question about the crew.

Apologies, apologies! You are quite right it is the Venus. We are supposed to be on the Jupiter for the Homelands cruise but I think that will be cancelled. We are in Scotland and would not normally entertain an English cruise but just getting on a cruise ship after the year we’ve all had will be so exciting

2 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

Apologies, apologies! You are quite right it is the Venus. We are supposed to be on the Jupiter for the Homelands cruise but I think that will be cancelled. We are in Scotland and would not normally entertain an English cruise but just getting on a cruise ship after the year we’ve all had will be so exciting

I can understand the excitement about setting foot on a cruise ship again.  We decided to pass on these early cruises but we wish you a lovely cruise on this beautiful new ship.

• Like 1

A few of the ships has set sail since yesterday

• Star - returned to Mukran, now docked
  • Sky - vacated the berth in Mukran for the Star and is now anchored off the port
  • Sun - departed Shekou, bound for Shenzhen, with ETA of 7th April. Since both ports are next to each other, this looks like a 4-day shake down in South China Sea.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

A few of the ships has set sail since yesterday

• Sun - departed Shekou, bound for Shenzhen, with ETA of 7th April. Since both ports are next to each other, this looks like a 4-day shake down in South China Sea.

Wonder when her name will change?  Do ships have registration numbers like airplanes so that you’ll still be able to find her afterwards?

35 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wonder when her name will change?  Do ships have registration numbers like airplanes so that you’ll still be able to find her afterwards?

Clay - I expect that her name will change when she changes to the China Flag.

SOLAS requires each ship to have an IMO number assigned, which remains with the ship regardless of Flag, ship's name, etc. It can also have an Official Number (ON) assigned by the Flag State at time of registration.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Viking Sea has also left Trieste and on the way to Rijeka to join her sister Viking Orion there.

Since Viking Sea is a 2016 build, she is due for her 1st Special Survey. While they had a number of drydocks in Trieste, I didn't see her use one of them. Could be heading to the S/Y at Rijeka to complete her 1st Special Survey.

Couldn't see the point of Orion heading to a S/Y, other than for ship repair/modifications, but Viking Sea could be heading to one of the 2 floating drydocks. Will watch Marine traffic for the next few days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Since Viking Sea is a 2016 build, she is due for her 1st Special Survey. While they had a number of drydocks in Trieste, I didn't see her use one of them. Could be heading to the S/Y at Rijeka to complete her 1st Special Survey.

Couldn't see the point of Orion heading to a S/Y, other than for ship repair/modifications, but Viking Sea could be heading to one of the 2 floating drydocks. Will watch Marine traffic for the next few days. 

So much for that idea, as she has now departed Rijika and is bound for Ancona, which is where Viking Venus is completing her build.

Ancona has Fincantieri & Palumbo Group yards, so could still be heading for a drydocking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SDHusker said:

Looks like Viking Sea has arrived.  See web cam.  https://viking.panomax.com/orion

Wow I never know Viking also has this type of webcam. Previously I only found similar panoramic webcams on Crystal Serenity.

@Heidi13 Then we can use https://viking.panomax.com/sun to confirm that Viking Sun is in the wetdock in Shekou (Shenzhen), China.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Wow I never know Viking also has this type of webcam. Previously I only found similar panoramic webcams on Crystal Serenity.

@Heidi13 Then we can use https://viking.panomax.com/sun to confirm that Viking Sun is in the wetdock in Shekou (Shenzhen), China.

I seem to think that not all of them do. But those that do use the same nomenclature, just substitute the ship’s name after the /

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I seem to think that not all of them do. But those that do use the same nomenclature, just substitute the ship’s name after the /

The Sea's cam is inactive now, maybe because it's currently sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Thanks, good to see that the cameras are coming back online, as when I checked them last year, if online they only showed the day they docked. Something else to watch😀

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Orion has just departed Bodrum in Turkey, bound for Catania on the East Coast of Sicily. We know a few of the ratings from Viking Sun who joined in Bodrum.

I had to look up "ratings", always something new to learn. Thank you Andy. 

My Alberta upbringing had very few ships. Just the occasional Prairie Schooner.

Cheers

Daryl

www.viking23.com