Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I drink it for medicinal purposes only.

Just finished sipping an Islay single malt. ย An occasional indulgence my multi-generational Scottish Highland genes demand. ย Resistance is futile. ย Celtic genes are beyond stubborn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, Blackduck59 said:

ย 

Hi, after a bit of local advise please.

ย 

Next year we are in Victoria from noon to midnight.

Looking at perhaps taking a local bus up to Sidney .....looks to be about an hour each way.

May look at popping into the Aviation Museum whilst there.

ย 

Any advise on pottering around Sidney for a few hours and somewhere nice for lunch / drink please ?

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Hi, after a bit of local advise please.

ย 

Next year we are in Victoria from noon to midnight.

Looking at perhaps taking a local bus up to Sidney .....looks to be about an hour each way.

May look at popping into the Aviation Museum whilst there.

ย 

Any advise on pottering around Sidney for a few hours and somewhere nice for lunch / drink please ?

Thanks.

The aviation museum is a great place. I don't know if the local bus will get you there though. We don't use public transportation so bus schedules are foreign to me. Spitfire Grill is literally across the Airport from the museum, you can see it across the tarmac. Unfortunately you need to go around the airport to get there. Mary's Bleu Moon Cafe is closer to the Aviation Museum but we haven't been there in years.

You never know, you may befriend a local and they could maybe help with transportation.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Catastrophic Fire warning for Far South Coast NSW with 29 schools closed. ย Where is actual Far South Coast? ย Your area Les or your daughter's area? ย Fires also in Tas and Qld.

Far South Coast is indeed Les' area, but there are no fires, catastrophic or otherwise, at least at the moment.ย  Schools in the area are closed because it is 34c max today.ย  Heavens, we sweltered in much warmer classrooms, with no fans.ย  A bit of alarmism goes a long way these days.ย  We're going down to the Bay just for the day on Thursday, when it will be much cooler.ย  Hope Les is keeping cool.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

ย Schools in the area are closed because it is 34c max today.ย  Heavens, we sweltered in much warmer classrooms, with no fans.ย  A bit of alarmism goes a long way these days.

Further proof that the world has gone mad! I grew up in Western Sydney & we attended non-airconditioned school on much warmer days, and then walked home afterwards. Didn't hurt us. We went to cricket practice straight after ๐Ÿ™‚ย Then walked home from there.ย 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Far South Coast is indeed Les' area, but there are no fires, catastrophic or otherwise, at least at the moment.ย  Schools in the area are closed because it is 34c max today.ย  Heavens, we sweltered in much warmer classrooms, with no fans.ย  A bit of alarmism goes a long way these days.ย  We're going down to the Bay just for the day on Thursday, when it will be much cooler.ย  Hope Les is keeping cool.

I thought they closed the schools because of potential bush fire risks in those areas.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I thought they closed the schools because of potential bush fire risks in those areas.

Bushfire risk is perennial, particularly with high fuel loads after years of La Niรฑa conditions. ย If schools are closed each day the temp surpasses 34, they should simply lock the doors till next autumn. ย One thing the terrible fires of a few years ago taught us all is to be ever aware and prepared. Alarmism is certainly not needed. ย Weโ€™re terrifying our kids these days.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Correct, state and private schools closed due to fire risk. All ok, Uncle Les is staying cool, has A/C. As do the schools. But I support the decision to close schools.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Hi Linda, I am not ย feeling too bad at the moment, I owe you guys a lunch at the Cat Club, so if free on Thursday, 12.30pm, ย Would be good . Les

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hi Linda, I am not ย feeling too bad at the moment, I owe you guys a lunch at the Cat Club, so if free on Thursday, 12.30pm, ย Would be good . Les

Thatโ€™s so good to hear, Les. ย Wonderful idea, but you donโ€™t owe us a lunch. ย You got the drinks and coffee, remember? ย See you in the foyer at 12.30๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Catastrophic Fire warning for Far South Coast NSW with 29 schools closed. ย Where is actual Far South Coast? ย Your area Les or your daughter's area? ย Fires also in Tas and Qld.

Far south Coast in NSW is Bega, a bit further down from Les. It was not just the temps, but the high fire risk and the strong winds.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Far south Coast in NSW is Bega, a bit further down from Les. It was not just the temps, but the high fire risk and the strong winds.

Pretty sure weโ€™re aware, after paying rates and utilities for fifty years, weโ€™re โ€œFar South Coastโ€, but ย I would never challenge a respected fellow contributor, except to note that high n/nw ย winds always precede a cold front for SE Australia. ย Snow forecast for Snowies Thursday. ย Iโ€™m aware that high winds are not a ideal, and I would agree with closing the schools situated between The Bay and Moruya. ย I cannot understand why these schools were built in the midst of dense, although beautiful, coastal bushland. ย Only one road through there, so they need to be overly cautious.

Actually, all our family members say โ€œthe coastโ€. ย We all know that means Batemans Bay. ย If I want to be specific for those who donโ€™t know exactly where I mean, I say โ€œThe Bayโ€. ย Now weโ€™re probably all confused๐Ÿ˜‚

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

In my part of the world, The Bay is Nelson Bay, The Lake is Lake Macquarie, The Valley is anything past Maitland, Town is Newcastle, the Big Smoke (or the rat race) is Sydney.

I lived at the Bay - Warner's Bay on the above Lake. I now live next to Village Bay and I don't call it anything. Hmm.

I agree Town is Newcastle, always knew it as that. I hate it being calling it Newie. Meh.

• Like 3