Now for something completely different

11 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I can usually squeeze three main meals for three adults out of one chicken. First night, roast dinner with all the trimmings, second night chicken with tomato spaghetti sauce, third night hearty chicken and veggie soup (simmered with the carcass) with fresh rolls. And there's usually a few scraps left for the cat and dog to have a small topper on their evening meal.

Yep, I bring the bones home, and make a long, slow minestrone with the bones added.  I also add shin beef bones, similar to those used for osso buco.   Italy, that’s called “minestre di brodo”.  Before the beef falls completely from the bones, I remove the pieces and shred the meat.  Next day, it makes a fantastic dish tossed through with lots of parsley, finely chopped onion, grated carrot (optional) a smidge (minuscule) of crushed garlic, evo, and a squeeze of lemon.  Makes a refreshing spring/summer cold dish.  I think we should be on “Meat Pies”, but maybe not?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I can usually squeeze three main meals for three adults out of one chicken. First night, roast dinner with all the trimmings, second night chicken with tomato spaghetti sauce, third night hearty chicken and veggie soup (simmered with the carcass) with fresh rolls. And there's usually a few scraps left for the cat and dog to have a small topper on their evening meal.

Sounds yummy also!  When I was a member of the CWA, they introduced courses to teach inexperienced cooks how to make healthy meals stretching fresh ingredients.  My grandmother, who was a pensioner, cooked such delicious healthy meals I didn't know we were poor.  We always had a bowl of fresh food on the table and ate like kings!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds yummy also!  When I was a member of the CWA, they introduced courses to teach inexperienced cooks how to make healthy meals stretching fresh ingredients.  My grandmother, who was a pensioner, cooked such delicious healthy meals I didn't know we were poor.  We always had a bowl of fresh food on the table and ate like kings!

What a heartwarming post, Marion🥰

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, not really "something completely different" but I know all you helpful and knowledgeable people will know the answer 😊 How deep are the Coral Princess pools? Does the main outdoor plebs pool have a shallow end for kids and those under 6ft tall who want to put their feet on the bottom? Have heard that it's 6ft deep. Have been on Coral but not in the pool. Thanks everyone 👍

I only swam in the Sanctuary pool. It had a very shallow section with a ledge around the edge to sit on, then a deeper section which I think was posted as 5ft 2ins deep, which I think is around 1.5 metres, in the middle but a bit less around the edges. It was the perfect depth IMHO.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I only swam in the Sanctuary pool. It had a very shallow section with a ledge around the edge to sit on, then a deeper section which I think was posted as 5ft 2ins deep, which I think is around 1.5 metres, in the middle but a bit less around the edges. It was the perfect depth IMHO.

Thanks 🙂 We're el cheapos so won't be using the sanctuary pool 😪. I really can't imagine the main outside pool not having a shallower end. I'm enquiring mainly for the 6 x kids that will be cruising with us 😱 - they all have home pools so are comfortable in water, but one of my daughters heard the "6 ft" so was planning to buy rubber rings in Aus for her girls because of that - I'd love to be able to tell them not to bother 😄

1 minute ago, Jean C said:

Thanks 🙂 We're el cheapos so won't be using the sanctuary pool 😪. I really can't imagine the main outside pool not having a shallower end. I'm enquiring mainly for the 6 x kids that will be cruising with us 😱 - they all have home pools so are comfortable in water, but one of my daughters heard the "6 ft" so was planning to buy rubber rings in Aus for her girls because of that - I'd love to be able to tell them not to bother 😄

I don't know about Coral, but on Emerald the Sanctuary pool isn't part of the paid area and anyone (adults only) can use it. We loved it on our cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spudd said:

I don't know about Coral, but on Emerald the Sanctuary pool isn't part of the paid area and anyone (adults only) can use it. We loved it on our cruise.

Thanks, Diamond Princess had a similar arrangement and we always used that pool. It hardly had anyone in it as a lot of people thought it was Sanctuary only. The first time we went in, it was super warm, almost spa pool temperature, sadly the next day and for the rest of the cruise it was cold, brrrrr 😄

Edited by Jean C

2 hours ago, Spudd said:

Coral is the only ship that has a dedicated Sanctuary pool. The Sanctuary is aft on Coral instead of forward like on Emerald.

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

Thanks, Diamond Princess had a similar arrangement and we always used that pool. It hardly had anyone in it as a lot of people thought it was Sanctuary only. The first time we went in, it was super warm, almost spa pool temperature, sadly the next day and for the rest of the cruise it was cold, brrrrr 😄

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone that it isn't part of the Sanctuary! 🤣

Those pools are really nice. We had one cruise where it was almost bath temperature one day. They did cool it off a bit after I mentioned it to our Sanctuary steward who was also in charge of doing the daily water checks in that pool. 

Most of the Princess pools aren't heated, they warm up from sun but cool off if air temps are cold.

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Only one sleep to go 'till I see Sir Paul (along with a few thousand others).

Enjoy. We thought about going, but are saving pennies. Here comes the sun - rising on a lovely day. Let it be a great concert. 

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Only one sleep to go 'till I see Sir Paul (along with a few thousand others).

Enjoy Lyndon. I have three lots of friends who went to the Melbourne concert on Saturday night. They all loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had Golden Slumbers last night. Got to sleep ok without help from Dr. Robert.😉

My BF and I have a plan. Parking or access to McDonald Stadium will, most likely, be horrendous. So we will be going to West Leagues club for dinner (BF is a member) a little before 6. After dinner we will leave the car in West's parking station and walk to the stadium - less than 15 minutes. Should be at the stadium about 7, show starts at 7.30.

Edited by lyndarra
extra info
  • Like 2

Sorry for the delay but here's my report of seeing Sir Paul.

Firstly, my plan on how to get there avoiding crowds and congestion. It kinda worked, however, about 10,000 other people had the same plan. Wests Leagues club was chockers. Arrived about 5.15 and was lucky enough to find a spot in Wests parking station.

We went straight to the bistro where I joined the queue to order dinner while Tony went to find somewhere to sit - the place was crowded. She found a spot and was able to get someone to hold it a few minutes while she came back to the food queue to let me know where to go.

There was a sign on the counter advising of a 35-45 minute wait to collect orders. I think I was in the queue for about 30 minutes!

About 30 minutes after ordering we were still waiting for our meal which arrived not long after. The dining area was starting to empty at this point.

The info I received when booking said the show started at 7.30. This start time was also mentioned earlier in the day on a news report, but, I also heard a report that starting time had been revised to 8.00pm. Hmm. He had our dinner of salt and pepper calamari which was good, but, like many club/pub meals we were served far too many chips - for us.

At 7.00 we joined the procession of people now heading for the (Knights) stadium. Entry was orderly and seemed to be well planned. We were seated by about 7.15. 7.30 came and went. Our seats were on the playing field well back from the stage, so far back that we watched the show on huge screens either side of the stage. Yep 8 o'clock came and the show began and, believe me, it was worth the wait.

Absolutely Fantastic.

The sound was great, the amplification was excellent. It was loud but not overly so nor was it distorted.  I wear hearing aids and I did not have to adjust them at all. In movie theatres I usually have to turn them off. I could hear every instrument.

Sir Paul was the consumate entertainer. Sang and played old favourites from Beatles and Wings and post Wings. Told stories, anecdotes, chatted with and involved the crowd. At one point the horn section (Sax, trombone, trumpet) played from among the audience in the upper stands. There was a song (on Apple rooftop) where he sang "live" with John Lennon via AI.

It was a non stop three hour show with two lots of fireworks along with laser light shows. Not a bad effort for an 81 year old.

This show made up for the time my wife and I were in Liverpool, the same day he sang in the Liverpool Sound Concert in June 2008. We didn't know about it until we arrived in Liverpool so no chance to book. We were due to start our first two week UK canal cruise on a narrowboat from Chirk the next day. A few weeks later we met up with my cousin in London and told him about the concert. He said he wished he had known we would be in Liverpool because he would have been able to get us (free) tickets to the concert. He works for Sir Paul's management company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sir Paul is due to perform on the Gold Coast next weekend (I think it is). Friends live within spitting distance of the stadium and are hoping to be able to at least hear it whilst sitting on their back patio. Apparently that has worked in the past.

• Like 1