Now for something completely different

@gbenjo Hi Graham, I thought I should reach out and say hi. When we planned this trip before we were cruising on Celebrity Eclipse, and we were looking forward to meeting you at the cruise port. As it turns out the new plan is quite a bit different. We are cruising on Holland America Westerdam and it has gone from a 14 day Auckland to Sydney and it is now a 43 day Auckland to Seattle with a stop here in Victoria, we will arrange to get off here. We still want to meet you and wonder how we can make that happen. We arrive in Sydney on the 19th of February 2025 and have a few days there before we set off on our road trip. We also have a port stop (actually a turn around day because the cruise is a "collector" so technically a B2B. We will probably meet up with Julie and Rolf during that port stop. Hopefully we can get together, either during the time we have pre-cruise or during that port stop. 

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

That sounds like something we have called a "twix" bar.

No a scotch finger biscuit is nothing like a twix - we have twix over here and it's a chocolate covered bickie type of thing.  A confectionery item.  A scotch finger biscuit is very similar to shortbread but comes like two small bars joined together that can be snapped apart.  See picture below.

BTW, I've absolutely no idea why this just appeared when I tried to attach the scotch finger.  ??????

image.png

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh God yes and and anything salted caramel.  Oh be still my expanding waist, hips and thighs.

Salted Caramel is supreme, but when I just have to have some, I will do a 12,000 step walk along the Newcastle beaches for a coffee and one or two of these salted caramel donuts. As sweet things go, this is the best thing I have ever eaten (priced accordingly).

https://www.doughheads.com.au/pages/doughnut-menu

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Now that it is complete we can use this excellent scale representation to research Sydney 😉

20240202_195853.thumb.jpg.49bc9f632909ab985df7284dd309632e.jpg

I wonder what ship is at Circular Quay, and which ship is near Fort Denison?

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently there are different gingernut recipes for each state. The NSW ones are too hard for me. Luckily my local Coles has an NZ section with Griffins gingernuts. They are the best! 😊

The NSW ones are the original recipe. When Arnott's first started in Morpeth, they predominately baked ship biscuits, hence the hardness. They had talked about "rationalising" and baking in a single location at one stage, so a win for the customer if that has been thwarted.

@Bubbeh Thanks for the picture to clarify the Scotch Finger question.

It's interest that the start of this thread showed up, complete with a photo of the B52 breakfast.

I have been reading back at the beginning, this started right after everything was shut down and the optimistic among us thought that surely the plague would pass before our scheduled cruise in January of 2021. Well we know what happened there. Then of course plan 2 took shape and there was a road trip to visit new friends. Now plan 3 is a whole different road trip with more friends and the cruise portion of this adventure is longer than the whole trip was before.

I haven't even got to trip 2 with the long road trip. Of course that has changed with new stops to visit @lyndarra in Lake Macquarie and @mr walker in Penrith, both places we hadn't planned to visit. We are looking forward to seeing these places that the average international tourist wouldn't see in their limited time available and the need to see all the "important" things we have all heard one "must see" in Australia. For us it's more about meeting people and seeing every day Australia. I think for the most part the road trip will remain the same from Canberra. Of course this time we have been fortunate that @Mareblu has offered to let us stay with her and Mario and also Bateman's Bay, we look forward to meeting them and seeing Canberra from a local's view. Of course we will be doing touristy things like the Zoo and P[era House, Museums and other things, but once again it is the Great Australian meet and greet tour now.

• Like 5

On 1/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Since I was a child. The races in Vancouver were a big deal for me. The noise, the smell the feel. Unfortunately Indy Car went through a big split and the quality of the show wasn't the same. I rarely watch an Indy Car race anymore, sadly. I watch Formula One all the time, although it has been very predictable lately and I'm not a fan of the wunderkind.

Lyle, we drove around part of the Melbourne GP circuit this afternoon while driving home from a few days in Warrnambool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, we drove around part of the Melbourne GP circuit this afternoon while driving home from a few days in Warrnambool. 

I thought that would be fun to do when we were planning the last 2 trips that got cancelled. of course it was not around race time and there would be no track, just the public roads. Of course this time the track will be set up and the drivers, crews and personalities will all be in Melbourne, We will be flying out the same day as FP1 and we will be boarding the ship in Auckland on race day. Who know maybe we'll stumble across someone by accident. Probably no current drivers but maybe Brundle or Hill or Button. I know Melbourne is a big city but it could happen.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I thought that would be fun to do when we were planning the last 2 trips that got cancelled. of course it was not around race time and there would be no track, just the public roads. Of course this time the track will be set up and the drivers, crews and personalities will all be in Melbourne, We will be flying out the same day as FP1 and we will be boarding the ship in Auckland on race day. Who know maybe we'll stumble across someone by accident. Probably no current drivers but maybe Brundle or Hill or Button. I know Melbourne is a big city but it could happen.

Yes unfortunately Lyle it will be. We don’t normally come that way but we were detoured as there was an event along Beaconsfield Parade, the route we tend to use through Port Melbourne and around to St Kilda. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Seabourn Odessey was in Batemans Bay yesterday 5 Feb. Tendered in.

r0_225_960_767_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Great photo, Les.  I've seen her anchored there in the past.  Off Caseys again?

• Like 2