Now for something completely different

24 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Gosh I remember petrol was about 40 cents a gallon, and going to to the servo fill her up and quart of oil in engine please.... funny the big car is the most economical at 9 litres per 100km where as the suv is about 10 litres.... not doing that many km over the last year   ( odd..lol )  so tend to fill up when needed...

Don

I remember buying my Gemini (probably the worst car I ever owned) and filling it up, before taking my then girlfriend for a drive, $10 from empty and pretty sure I could a bit of change.

I spent much of my young years at a service station, my uncle and Aunty owned and my cousin and I would often man the bowsers, $2 was pretty much the standard order and often you couldn’t even get all that in.

back when life was simpler..... ye old Hilliam was a bit of oil burner and country run of 120 mites was about a quart of oil...  always carried a gallon can of oil with me....

end up putting a new engine in it.... wow   actually had to change the oil...lol...

Near the end of it's life... had a problem jumping out of fourth gear... so a bungee cord round the gear lever to the back of the seat fixed it...

Don

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

back when life was simpler..... ye old Hilliam was a bit of oil burner and country run of 120 mites was about a quart of oil...  always carried a gallon can of oil with me....

end up putting a new engine in it.... wow   actually had to change the oil...lol...

Near the end of it's life... had a problem jumping out of fourth gear... so a bungee cord round the gear lever to the back of the seat fixed it...

Don

Had a few stories like that.

A Daihatsu that would just out of nowhere would send up a smoke screen

I think it was the Gemini that jumped out of gear, and every now and then the accelerator would go to full speed, all by itself and you had to stomp on the brake and clutch or knock it into neutral, damn thing caught on fire one day and I was over the moon, some Mongrel ran up with his pest spray and put it out.

Then an old lady we knew had her lisence taken away and gave my wife her Hillman Hunter, she drove it home (about 50k I guess) and I asked how it went, she said it was a bit gutless, so I went for a spin and found it OK, yep she drove home with the handbrake on, no wonder it was a bit sluggish.

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

40 cents a gallon? Model T Ford, Don?

Actually had a friend at school who'd father had a 1914 Model T....

Interestingly never own a Ford.... uncle was a mad Ford man

A Consul. A Customline,, A 61 Fairlane then a 68, and a 76....

The only brand i bought multiple of  is Suzuki... an LJ50, Sierra, then Grand Vitara

as a second car.....

Don

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Had a few stories like that.

A Daihatsu that would just out of nowhere would send up a smoke screen

I think it was the Gemini that jumped out of gear, and every now and then the accelerator would go to full speed, all by itself and you had to stomp on the brake and clutch or knock it into neutral, damn thing caught on fire one day and I was over the moon, some Mongrel ran up with his pest spray and put it out.

Then an old lady we knew had her lisence taken away and gave my wife her Hillman Hunter, she drove it home (about 50k I guess) and I asked how it went, she said it was a bit gutless, so I went for a spin and found it OK, yep she drove home with the handbrake on, no wonder it was a bit sluggish.

Hillman Hunter...... use to think was pretty cool.. particularly after the win in London to Sydney rally..... Mind was a super minx....with the 1725cc power house...lol

Don

The rain has dropped an impressive amount of water. These are the figures as reported in the SMH.

"Huge amounts of rain fell in the region between 9am on Friday and 5am on Saturday, including 373mm at Delward (Kendall), 343mm at Redoak (Stewarts River), 320mm at Logans Crossing, 280mm at Kindee Bridge, and 264mm at Wauchope."

Rained all night here, with intermittent torrential downfalls. Doesn’t look like even easing up.

Copping heavy falls down here now, the east coast low is forming, so this rain will be off SE coast for several days yet. Pity the people camping out, which many do down here. Could be a NetFlix arvo.

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The rain has dropped an impressive amount of water. These are the figures as reported in the SMH.

"Huge amounts of rain fell in the region between 9am on Friday and 5am on Saturday, including 373mm at Delward (Kendall), 343mm at Redoak (Stewarts River), 320mm at Logans Crossing, 280mm at Kindee Bridge, and 264mm at Wauchope."

That is a lot of precipitation, 24 hr rainfall around here was 70mm. We will probably beat that today.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Mine is just a SWB 1.5 diesel to cart my wheelchair around, need to upgrade soon, would like LWB with second set of seats, also really need reversing camera and auto as the body keeps falling apart.

Spotted this one a couple of days ago while browsing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Volkswagen-Caddy-2KN-TDI250-Yellow-Automatic-A-Van/254751130430?hash=item3b5059c33e:g:RisAAOSwYoxgPbiE

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I remember buying my Gemini (probably the worst car I ever owned) and filling it up, before taking my then girlfriend for a drive, $10 from empty and pretty sure I could a bit of change.

I spent much of my young years at a service station, my uncle and Aunty owned and my cousin and I would often man the bowsers, $2 was pretty much the standard order and often you couldn’t even get all that in.

I had a '77 Gemini Sandpiper from new. My work gave me $20 per week credit on the company fuel account at local servo as a 'car allowance'. Even though I drove a lot, I could hardly ever spend the $20 per week 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Don't you just love the Australian spirit. Nothing is going to stop a visit to the club on a Friday night. Taken at the Telegraph Point Club.

The Telegraph Point Club.

Timely. Just when the no-standing-while-drinking rule was relaxed.😄

• Haha 1

I like that but 137k is a bit high for a petrol

ONLY 137,000 KMS 2011 VOLKSWAGEN CADDY TDI250 MAXI , Turbo Diesel - . Automatic. Clean and tidy condition, great little work vehicle., Air conditioning. Power steering. Cruise control. ABS brakes.

34 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Every man and his dog was there. 😁 Good to see them practising social distancing.😉

If they sat down they would drown.

Major flooding in the town and around Port McQuarie which is not far from Telegraph Point. Reports of 400mm of rain. Evacuations happening. Pic is of Short St, Port McQuarie CBD.

Ew3zIvUUcAAv8br.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

ONLY 137,000 KMS 2011 VOLKSWAGEN CADDY TDI250 MAXI , Turbo Diesel - . Automatic. Clean and tidy condition, great little work vehicle., Air conditioning. Power steering. Cruise control. ABS brakes.

Ok I thought I saw it was a petrol variant somewhere in the add, thanks

If someone is thinking of buying a second hand Volkswagen,  don’t.

They are nothing like the old Volkswagen.

The old  ones  just kept going and going  .

New European cars has a built in expiry date and you can’t afford to fix them.

52 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If someone is thinking of buying a second hand Volkswagen,  don’t.

They are nothing like the old Volkswagen.

The old  ones  just kept going and going  .

New European cars has a built in expiry date and you can’t afford to fix them.

The last of the VW Beetles in the modern era were built in Mexico.

I filled up my car twice last year, Holden Australia 45 litre tank. I had filled the tank on 12 December 2019 and then again on19 June 2020, I then topped it up again in late November 2020. So around every 6 months, I still have half a tank. I only drive it a couple times a week (for soccer). Any other trips are done in my wife's car.

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

You buy petrol in litres or gallon, Lyle? u.s.type gallons? Not imperial?

When we were on gallons it was Imperial gallons, we changed to litres in 1979 (remember the change and the gas stations taking advantage of the confusion)