Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The last of the VW Beetles in the modern era were built in Mexico.

The old VW including the golf where bullet proof.

But all new European cars are good when new but are designed to last 3-4 years.

Major engine components are made of plastic and fail also electricals.

Big name Asian cars are the only thing to buy secondhand.

Just look at the price difference,that says it all.

Our old Mercedes A-class was still going strong after 15 years. The only things that broke were silly things like the plastic handle on the lever that raised or lowered the driver's seat. We never had any problems with engine components.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our old Mercedes A-class was still going strong after 15 years. The only things that broke were silly things like the plastic handle on the lever that raised or lowered the driver's seat. We never had any problems with engine components.

What year model was that.

My old boss had a 700 series , at a 160km you put your foot down ,it changed down a gear and took off.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

1999 I think. It was one of the original A-class models. We traded it and our 15 year old Toyota Vienta in 2016 and just have one car, a Toyota Aurion, now.

It would have been the last of the good one .Toyota was a good move.

Like going from Princess to Royal Caribbean. LOL

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm having a hard time with the term "Caddy" around here Caddy is short for Cadillac. 

I'm guessing by the conversation a caddy is some type of van? 

This could be mine, same colour and all

2ABE7E4A-7EFD-4C0B-8921-87EFD7A4C510.jpeg

I don’t know how long it has been since both cars were the same though, either a manual and an auto, or one floor shift one column shift (both with manual and automatic), or blinkers and whispers on the opposite sides. Aggghhhh.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

This could be mine, same colour and all

2ABE7E4A-7EFD-4C0B-8921-87EFD7A4C510.jpeg

Thanks, I was confused. We don't have that model here and if we did I don't think they would get away with calling it a "Caddy". Our shop has 3 Mercedes "Sprinter" vans each one subtly different. They are for our installers and each is kitted out with small workshop worth of tools so they can set up in the garage on site to cut parts etc.

36 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It would have been the last of the good one .Toyota was a good move.

Like going from Princess to Royal Caribbean. LOL

The Toyota service dept was far better than Mercedes which is one reason we stayed with Toyota. 

We tried that but RC kept disappearing back overseas at the times we wanted to cruise. 😡We stuck with Celebrity for three NZ cruises but didn't book a fourth as they shortened their itineraries and increased prices. We decided to try Cunard instead but the pandemic hit.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks, I was confused. We don't have that model here and if we did I don't think they would get away with calling it a "Caddy". Our shop has 3 Mercedes "Sprinter" vans each one subtly different. They are for our installers and each is kitted out with small workshop worth of tools so they can set up in the garage on site to cut parts etc.

I've seen a few Merc Sprinter vans. Popular with couriers or fitted out as small RVs.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I've seen a few Merc Sprinter vans. Popular with couriers or fitted out as small RVs.

The small RVs are very expensive here $120,000.00 to $180,000.00, you can get a much larger class C for about half that. If you are comfortable driving a motor coach sized RV you can get a pre-owned one of those for about the same price.

39 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The small RVs are very expensive here $120,000.00 to $180,000.00, you can get a much larger class C for about half that. If you are comfortable driving a motor coach sized RV you can get a pre-owned one of those for about the same price.

http://www.australianmotorhomes.com.au/used-motorhomes-and-caravans/wallaby-campervan-mercedes-benz-sprinter

Looked at a Sprinter or Vito a few times, but the back deck is a bit high to get the chairs in and out without a lift or ramp, the VW I can just tilt it back and the front wheels reach the deck, then roll it forward and pivot the rear wheels up.

33 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Not sure I could climb up into it anymore, other than that it would be wonderful. Looked at VW or HiAce vans but on a bad day no way I could climb it.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Looked at a Sprinter or Vito a few times, but the back deck is a bit high to get the chairs in and out without a lift or ramp, the VW I can just tilt it back and the front wheels reach the deck, then roll it forward and pivot the rear wheels up.

One of our shop vans has a ramp, ironically it is the one that our Australian installer uses.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

One of our shop vans has a ramp, ironically it is the one that our Australian installer uses.

The Sprinter is a little too big for parking in Town or the shopping centre, hence me looking at the Vito, I have ramps, but most days getting them out and set up is just too much effort. I think next car I will get a fixed ramp installed that just folds down. 

My nissan quashqai was 27k, bargain.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have a friend who maintains old Mercedes aged 30 years for his mother and 42 years for his sister.  He is currently driving the latter, which he says drives like a dream, whilst his sister makes room in her garage.